Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

One other thing to remember is no optical out on PS5, so if you have an older sound system setup with no hdmi input, you'll need a hdmi audio splitter.

You can use eArc (if you have it) or Arc on the TV, but no guarantee the TV will push 5.1 never mind anything higher quality to your sound system if you don't connect the PS5 directly to it. The only way to know is to test it and see what happens. No eArc would mean no Atmos anyway as Arc doesn't have enough throughput for Atmos.

Are people really buying the disc based PS5 for the 4k blu ray disc playback? I'd guess in most cases it's games only.
    I've had a standalone 4k player for a few years and they've dropped massively in price recently.
    While it would be nice to have Atmos I can't see it being a dealbreaker for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks guys for PayPal feedback! But I think I might have said PayPal Balance on the transaction... I wonder will the tied Credit Card be used if there are no funds there?

It will tell you if you log into your PayPal. Select the order and it will show your payment method and back up method.

Edit - Actually, it only showed the selected back up option on completed orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Wing126 wrote: »

Ray tracing at 4k 30fps is seriously impressive. There are PCs that have trouble pushing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

cannco253 wrote: »
    Are people really buying the disc based PS5 for the 4k blu ray disc playback? I'd guess in most cases it's games only.
    I've had a standalone 4k player for a few years and they've dropped massively in price recently.
    While it would be nice to have Atmos I can't see it being a dealbreaker for anyone.

I think most people will just see the UHD player as a handy perk, as you said most people that care about this kind of thing will have already had a standalone player (or an Xbox) for years at this point.

Again, it almost certainly has Atmos support for Blu-ray playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Parsnips wrote: »
    SMYTHS
    anyone know when we will start getting communication RE: PS5 deliveries etc.
    Surely it will before launch day for payment etc.

They have already sent out an email about payment and delivery.

You will receive an email confirming your order is ready for dispatch 2 - 5 days in advance and with this you now have a tracking link! We are just getting everything ready - your tracking link will NOT BE LIVE UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE release day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Stephen.Walsh_

AMAZON
    Managed to snag an Amazon order and have it sending to my Local drop point, I assume it will be too big and be sent to the depot?
    Just wondering has anyone tried to change the address on their order? I don’t see an option to change when I click into my order...

They have already sent out an email about payment and delivery.

You will receive an email confirming your order is ready for dispatch 2 - 5 days in advance and with this you now have a tracking link! We are just getting everything ready - your tracking link will NOT BE LIVE UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE release day.

Kinda regret not going with delivery, seems there's a good chance of getting it early. At least there is no uncertainty with C&C though.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Something they could add easily in firmware updates. Atmos i'm not to bothered about. Good 5.1 is still pretty awesome

Atmos is class in fairness.

My TV has DV so it’s actually handier just to steam in Vision with an Atmos sound bar, but you can’t beat an UHD Blu-ray for quality, so that would’ve been nice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

AMAZON
    Managed to snag an Amazon order and have it sending to my Local drop point, I assume it will be too big and be sent to the depot?
    Just wondering has anyone tried to change the address on their order? I don’t see an option to change when I click into my order...

On Amazon? Yeah should be able to change it under "View or edit order". It could be too big to fit in a parcel motel locker if that's what you mean, it will be sent to their depot if it is.

Markitron wrote: »
    Kinda regret not going with delivery, seems there's a good chance of getting it early. At least there is no uncertainty with C&C though.

Yep, kinda feeling the same haha. Especially with my local Smyths being in another county and 20km away :o

Atmos is class in fairness.

My TV has DV so it’s actually handier just to steam in Vision with an Atmos sound bar, but you can’t beat an UHD Blu-ray for quality, so that would’ve been nice here.

Atmos is fantastic, and the entry point is a lot more affordable than it used to be. I am not a fan of soundbars and TVs claiming they are outputting Atmos but some of them sound really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

AMAZON

I have it set for delivery via Parcel Motel - dont want to queue up in the depot. Dont want to mess with the address at this point plus (most likely) PM will be faster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

blaa85 wrote: »
    It will tell you if you log into your PayPal. Select the order and it will show your payment method and back up method.

Edit - Actually, it only showed the selected back up option on completed orders.

Yes - No backup... Wonder how I change this to be sure...

2020-11-10_16-27-02.png

Edit - Might try to call Gamestop tomorrow - Good luck to me getting through!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The PS5 remote play from PS4 app popped up on my PS4 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Varik wrote: »
    The PS5 remote play from PS4 app popped up on my PS4 today.

I was all set to trade in my Pro to CEX but I'm thinking of holding on to it now that I know this is a thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Markitron wrote: »
    Atmos is fantastic, and the entry point is a lot more affordable than it used to be. I am not a fan of soundbars and TVs claiming they are outputting Atmos but some of them sound really good.

I can't remember the last time I used a TV's speakers, 2003 maybe, even my first job at 14 I bought myself a 2.1 system for my PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

jones wrote: »
    It does have pixel shift but don't know if i'd go as far as to say you won't get it unless you do it purpose. I dont think its something people should be that worried about. I did a lot of research before buying the C9 last year and there is a lot of misinformation online how how bad burn in actually is. Its not bad but something to be aware of.

LG burn in is ridiculously overstated online like you said. I've had the E7 model for 3 years this month and there's not even a hint of burn in. I'm not careful either. I treat it like all other LED/LCD TVs I've had in the past.

The TV also has a built in feature called 'pixel refresher'.

| Pixel Refresher |

The Pixel Refresher feature, built into LG OLED TVs, automatically detects
    pixel deterioration through periodic scanning, compensating for it as needed.
    It also senses any TFT (Thin Film Transistor) voltage changes during power off
    to detect and correct pixel degradation by comparing it with a set reference value.
    How is Image Retention Recovery Technology activated?
    | Automatic Pixel Refresher — For Effortless Image Retention Recovery |

After every four hours of cumulative use

Pixel Refresher is automatically operated when you turn off the TV after watching it
    for more than four hours in total. For example, if you watched TV for two hours yesterday
    and three hours today (more than four hours in total), Pixel Refresher will automatically run,
    deal with potential image retention issues and reset its operation time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wing126 wrote: »

Whoever did that gameplay, they really suck at Spiderman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Joey Chiu, the first person in line to buy both PS4 and PS4 PRO, got a PS5 from Sony!

https://twitter.com/Shinogu/status/1326191206137819137?s=19

gif-of-the-day-priceless-reaction-from-the-first-buyer-of-ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is he doing the Banderas/joel gif? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Joey Chiu, the first person in line to buy both PS4 and PS4 PRO, got a PS5 from Sony!

https://twitter.com/Shinogu/status/1326191206137819137?s=19

gif-of-the-day-priceless-reaction-from-the-first-buyer-of-ps4

And a digital code for every game in the launch lineup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Is he doing the Banderas/joel gif? :pac:

Think he called himself or someone else a d!ckhead

Looks like insomniac actually added to the game, not just shinier graphics.

https://twitter.com/JamesStevenson/status/1326224594928218112?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Gamestop just sent me my code to reorder Miles Morales Ultimate Edition to home (as I had it in-store for preorder). All is now right in my PS5 world. :)

ACG's review PS5 has completely died. Yikes.

https://twitter.com/JeremyPenter/status/1326213249088434177?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Not good, who wants to cancel their preorder and give it to someone else from this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Yeah with thousands of consoles already in the hands of reviewers and youtubers etc it’s not really surprising.A console launch can typically have a failure rate of up to 1% or even higher.

Just unfortunate for him I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Waiting to hear if this was a rebuild issue whilst he had his external HDD plugged in. See some xbox have been bricked on arrival further down that thread too.

It's expected that some fail unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Some of the comments are brilliant.

My favorite was "looks like another Sony launch Exclusive - dead consoles" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Pretty disappointed guys to learn that the Xbox will support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for games while PS5 will have no Dolby support, so for those getting the latest TVs to make the most of next gen, once of the biggest aspects of modern TVs, dynamic HDR metadata and 3D sound, will be absent. Having a Dolby Vision TV, what it does is take truly revolutionary that even the bump in 8K won't compare to what Dolby Vision has done for home cinema. I think that had me potentially cancelling my PS5 preorder as that's a major, major deal breaker for me, especially if Xbox supports it for Blu-ray movies. Looks like Sony haven't learned from their failure to add 4K Blu-ray in the last gen like Xbox did. My guess is they'll add it to a future PS5 Pro but that's a major negative compared to the Xbox as you can't be truly next gen without tut standard next gen visual specs which is Dynamic Metadata. I'm becoming more and more disappointed by this gen like I rightly was for the last gen :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement