Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

loughrey wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed guys to learn that the Xbox will support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for games while PS5 will have no Dolby support, so for those getting the latest TVs to make the most of next gen, once of the biggest aspects of modern TVs, dynamic HDR metadata and 3D sound, will be absent. Having a Dolby Vision TV, what it does is take truly revolutionary that even the bump in 8K won't compare to what Dolby Vision has done for home cinema. I think that had me potentially cancelling my PS5 preorder as that's a major, major deal breaker for me, especially if Xbox supports it for Blu-ray movies. Looks like Sony haven't learned from their failure to add 4K Blu-ray in the last gen like Xbox did. My guess is they'll add it to a future PS5 Pro but that's a major negative compared to the Xbox as you can't be truly next gen without tut standard next gen visual specs which is Dynamic Metadata

I'll take it

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I'll take it

I'll either be cancelling or selling it, once of the other. I'm just not feeling it enough anyway to put down the money. My enthusiasm I had when I preordered that night has really dropped as we have leaned more and more about the PS5. I prefer the controller and game support of the PS5 but the Xbox just has the better overall technology so its a tough one. I might end up waiting a few months to see where Sony takes it with updates and if they'll add these shortcomings in future updates

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

loughrey wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed guys to learn that the Xbox will support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for games while PS5 will have no Dolby support, so for those getting the latest TVs to make the most of next gen, once of the biggest aspects of modern TVs, dynamic HDR metadata and 3D sound, will be absent. Having a Dolby Vision TV, what it does is take truly revolutionary that even the bump in 8K won't compare to what Dolby Vision has done for home cinema. I think that had me potentially cancelling my PS5 preorder as that's a major, major deal breaker for me, especially if Xbox supports it for Blu-ray movies. Looks like Sony haven't learned from their failure to add 4K Blu-ray in the last gen like Xbox did. My guess is they'll add it to a future PS5 Pro but that's a major negative compared to the Xbox as you can't be truly next gen without tut standard next gen visual specs which is Dynamic Metadata. I'm becoming more and more disappointed by this gen like I rightly was for the last gen :(

Most people are buying it to play games.That is its main purpose.They can’t please everyone especially day 1 with features that most people will never use.Although saying that maybe it is possible a lot of these features can be added in a future update.This is version 1.0 after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Wait so surround sound won't work on my PS5? It works on the PS4.

I already got some 4k movies waiting for the day the console arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Evilbart wrote: »
    Most people are buying it to play games.That is its main purpose.They can’t please everyone especially day 1 with features that most people will never use.Although saying that maybe it is possible a lot of these features can be added in a future update.This is version 1.0 after all.

Sony have cut out a lot of things out of this console that you'd expect it to have, especially when compared to the Xbox.

Lots of people disappointed by a few things now but like you said hopefully they can be added later.

My guess is lots of it is was cut to pay for the faster storage option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Liamo_mu wrote: »

Surround sound will I’m sure. Just not Atmos which is more than surround.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah it's not in probably because Sony don't want to pay for its licence or don't want to pass it on.

Can be patched in later mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Surround sound will I’m sure. Just not Atmos which is more than surround.

From the FAQ:
    Is 3D Audio available through TV speakers?

TV speaker virtual surround sound won’t be available on launch day for PS5 but is planned for a future update.

So surround sound support is coming, just not at launch

Penn wrote: »
    From the FAQ:

TV speaker virtual surround sound won’t be available on launch day for PS5 but is planned for a future update.

That's virtual surround sound actually so I'm good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Penn wrote: »
    From the FAQ:

Surround sound and virtual surround sound are different things.

Virtual is where a single speaker (generally) emulates multiple speakers, whereas regular surround sound is your usual multi speaker approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Liamo_mu wrote: »

It doesn't have an optical port like the PS4, but should work through a HDMI ARC port.

I can understand the lack of Dolby Atmos, when they're trying to push their own 3D audio. The lack of DV though is odd. Seems to be held as the industry standard for greatness really. Could be that Dolby haven't allowed one without the other

Never copped that. Guess we’ll find out in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony really should have stuck calling it tempest rather than 3D audio as it's confusing people.

The Xbox can decode Atmos, the PS5 can send it via Bitstream unaltered for a AV receiver to decode. The difference being you need a atmos compatible receiver on PS5 but not on Xbox.

old fashioned discrete speaker surround works on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

With all the talk of audio has me thinking about using my headset again. I have a Hyperx cloud alpha i know they have mentioned supporting most headsets but i cant seem to find confirmation anywhere that it fully supports 3d audio on this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Main things putting me off getting a headset are that living alone it feels weird to wear headphones while playing a game. And I find over the ears headphones a bit annoying when wearing glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Rocket League's next gen version has been detailed.

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/play-rocket-league-on-xbox-series-x--series-s--and-playstation-5/
    Rocket League on PlayStation 5

Available at launch: 4K Resolution (checkerboard) at 60 FPS with High Dynamic Range (HDR)

4K and HDR require compatible displays

Requires compatible HDMI cable (included with PlayStation 5)

For comparison, the Series X version is getting:
    ocket League on Xbox Series X

Available at launch: runs at 4K resolution at 60 FPS with HDR.

Following a game update later this year, a new "Video Quality" setting will be added within the Video tab of the Settings menu, allowing users to select Quality vs Performance.

Quality:

4K resolution at 60 FPS with HDR

HDR requires HDR10 compatible display and HDMI 2.0 cable or better (included with Xbox Series X)

4K capable display required to experience 4K UHD. If a 1080p display is used, the game will render at 1080p supersampled from 4K.

Performance:

Game runs at 2688x1512 resolution (70% of full 4K) at 120 FPS with HDR

Game UI runs in 4K

4K capable display required to experience 4K UHD. If a 1080p display is used, the game will render at 1080p supersampled from 2688x1512.

HDR and 120 Hz require a compatible display, as well as Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 cable (included with Xbox Series X)

Feels like not a lot of work has been put into the PS5 version for launch at least.

Edit: Apparently, this is because it's running as a backwards compatible title and not an actual next gen version. BC on PS5 doesn't make use of the features of the PS5 (120fps, ray tracing, etc. etc.)

That rocket league update is crap
    Nothing is stopping that game from being 4k native 120fps on PS5 hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

VentureBeat has an interesting article on that: https://venturebeat.com/2020/11/10/rocket-league-gets-120hz-mode-on-xbox-series-x-s-but-not-playstation-5/

It seems (based on this report) that there has to be a native PS5 version of the game to enable 120FPS compatibility. So this is basically just the PS4 version running on the new console. Obviously Microsoft is much more committed to the cross-gen features, so therefore you have easier major upgrades to older games.

Yeah, I just edited my post to reflect that info actually. Hopefully an actual PS5 version will arrive at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

With all the talk of audio has me thinking about using my headset again. I have a Hyperx cloud alpha i know they have mentioned supporting most headsets but i cant seem to find confirmation anywhere that it fully supports 3d audio on this model.

Every headset compatible with the PS5 works with 3D Audio. Anything wired via USB, wireless via USB Dongle or with a 3.5mm cable into the controller works with PS5, so they all support Tempest 3D Audio.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1326219962982297600

Oh wow. Not sure if this has been posted, but some comparison shots between PS4 and PS5 Spider-Man. There is so much extra detail!

Edit:

Small comparison video.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Wing126 wrote: »

Oh wow. Not sure if this has been posted, but some comparison shots between PS4 and PS5 Spider-Man. There is so much extra detail!

Tbh I really find it diminishing returns at this stage. Even 4K on PS4 Pro was very underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

See people in America are already receiving theirs a day early.. won't happen to me as I'm click and collect but maybe some lucky people here will get theirs early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Is the remaster included in the Ultimate Edition a code or on disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

I wonder why Sony are cutting tech from a console it makes no sense to not have best foot forward with powerful machines.

Is it a case of trying to stay close to MS in cost they release a budget version now and an updated when they have made enough cash?

I had hoped to splash out on a TV to get the most from both but now it's a TV for the series X mainly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kremin wrote: »
    See people in America are already receiving theirs a day early.. won't happen to me as I'm click and collect but maybe some lucky people here will get theirs early

Gamestop would want to pull their finger out now at this stage and get sorting out those pre orders that need to be posted out. I've a bad feeling about getting the console on launch day from them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Surprise surpirse - Gamestop have no phone lines open and a ticket quering payment on my PS5 preorder is still there for over 24 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

PS5 Spidey with all settings looks dire to me...

I know I'm gonna get backlash - and some comments on time of day - but faded and dull as hell. Far more vibrant in places on PS4 Pro IMO

https://youtu.be/R4MnW4WIEFw?t=227

Well what do I do now?

• Advertisement

Batesy wrote: »
    Is the remaster included in the Ultimate Edition a code or on disc?

It's a download code.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement