Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Well what do I do now?

Its such a tease, hope to pick up my accessories from Smyths tomorrow. Such a pity its not a global launch, going to be a long week!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wing126 wrote: »
    It's a download code.

Class, playthrough Miles Morales and sell to CEX while getting to keep SM Remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Class, playthrough Miles Morales and sell to CEX while getting to keep SM Remaster.

Silly question but is MM a prequel or sequel to the 2018 game? If a prequel will pick it up.

Silly question but is MM a prequel or sequel to the 2018 game? If a prequel will pick it up.

Sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Sequel.

The fact that a MM game even exists is kind of a massive spoiler for the first game ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

sticker wrote: »
    PS5 Spidey with all settings looks dire to me...

I know I'm gonna get backlash - and some comments on time of day - but faded and dull as hell. Far more vibrant in places on PS4 Pro IMO

https://youtu.be/R4MnW4WIEFw?t=227

Odd this one looks different. Did they mix up the videos?

After PuddleGate with the last game, I'm not trusting any comparison videos.

I saw footage of it yesterday and both modes look just as good as MM, I am actually gonna replay it before playing MM despite finishing it twice and getting the platinum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Odd this one looks different. Did they mix up the videos?

I have a 4K Sony TV and honestly speaking I NEVER have HDR on with my PS4 Pro - For me its a complete wash out of contrast and colours. Maybe this is the same in my comparision video.

I can't fathom that some people like HDR if its that washed out looking...

Edit Performance mode looks stunning in your comparision - Very Odd!

Does my Sony TV need fine tuning in settings or should it just output the best options on the spec availabe? I ahve all modes set to automatic..

Edit: The reflections here: Whoa!

https://youtu.be/Nt-T6ZDRXAs?t=34

I have a 4K Sony TV and honestly speaking I NEVER have HDR on - For me its a complete wash out of contrast and colours. Maybe this is the same in my comparision video.

? This is just mental
    Does my Sony TV need fine tuning in settings or should it just output the best options on the spec availabe? I ahve all modes set to automatic..

What TV is it exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

HDR shouldn’t look washed out. It should look extremely bright and around highlights and extremely dark around shadows. I still have an ancient old 1080p LCD TV but my iPhone 11Pro has an OLED panel that supports HDR and what HDR content I’ve seen on it is incredible. Digital Foundry did a nice video here:

https://youtu.be/hGfTTpWSRuM

That is mastered in HDR. If your TV can play it properly it looks far from washed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well what do I do now?

If only they hadn't stopped giving instruction booklets.

5uspect wrote: »
    HDR shouldn’t look washed out. It should look extremely bright and around highlights and extremely dark around shadows.

Just to add to this, It makes everything look more natural due to the expanded colour palette. SDR content tends to look oversaturated, when this is paired back with HDR it may lead some people to see it as washed out but nothing could be further from the case.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    If only they hadn't stopped giving instruction booklets.

Reading through an instruction booklet while on the bus home from town was the best part about getting a new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Evilbart wrote: »
    I have a 4K Sony TV and honestly speaking I NEVER have HDR on with my PS4 Pro - For me its a complete wash out of contrast and colours. Maybe this is the same in my comparision video.

https://youtu.be/Nt-T6ZDRXAs?t=34[/quote

HDR for me has been the biggest upgrade over the last few generations. I find it far more impressive than 4K.

I can’t believe you would choose to disable it.

HDR for me has been the biggest upgrade over the last few generations. I find it far more impressive than 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I must have settings wrong then. I'm out now but will post my tv make when I get back

Hve to say, i usually turn HDR off as well but for a different reason. It looks stunning but the movement feels weird so I usually switch off then and feels better. Saying that, I don't know if I had Game Mode enabled during my PS4 Pro sessions and can't check now. First thing I do when I get the PS5 is to make sure it is. I have an LG 49 sm8500 and it does have Game Mode but switching HDMI to set top box, sometimes I feel like the settings go with it and I have to do some messing around with picture settings so it got to a point I just stopped checking and accepted what I was looking at.

Wish I held out and got a better telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hve to say, i usually turn HDR off as well but for a different reason. It looks stunning but the movement feels weird so I usually switch off then and feels better. Saying that, I don't know if I had Game Mode enabled during my PS4 Pro sessions and can't check now. First thing I do when I get the PS5 is to make sure it is. I have an LG 49 sm8500 and it does have Game Mode but switching HDMI to set top box, sometimes I feel like the settings go with it and I have to do some messing around with picture settings so it got to a point I just stopped checking and accepted what I was looking at.

Wish I held out and got a better telly.

Sounds like you might have motion smoothing turned on, it gives pictures that "soap opera" effect. I have an LG, and you have to disable it individually for each picture mode. So when you swap into Game Mode, go into picture settings, and turn this off. Should be transformative

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sounds like you might have motion smoothing turned on, it gives pictures that "soap opera" effect. I have an LG, and you have to disable it individually for each picture mode. So when you swap into Game Mode, go into picture settings, and turn this off. Should be transformative

Ah shyte, that was turned off day 1 :D I was ready to bring the telly back to the shop until I googled it and found that bollox of a setting, was a different telly once off but now I'm thinking that when I switched to game mode, did it go back to the default setting of being on? Thanks, will check that as soon as I get the PS5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

https://youtu.be/Nt-T6ZDRXAs?t=34

Never once had an issue with HDR with my Pro, games look stunning, vibrant and sharp, maybe it's your TV.

Ah shyte, that was turned off day 1 :D I was ready to bring the telly back to the shop until I googled it and found that bollox of a setting, was a different telly once off but now I'm thinking that when I switched to game mode, did it go back to the default setting of being on? Thanks, will check that as soon as I get the PS5!

Crap, checked my telly, changed to HDMI my PS4 used to be connected to and saw it is set to Game Mode with TruMotion off so that's not it. Must look up the other picture settings, see if I can find anything else to improve the experience. Other than that, I find the local dimming annoying. Black screen with a tiny load symbol in the corner and a chunk of the screen brightens up. Turning it off gives the whole screen a faded look so not sure which option is best, probably to leave it on but a dark same like demons souls might show it up more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Hi, I don't know if I'm getting a 5 yet but I see MM on the US store and it's the same price to get the PS5 Ultimate as the 4 disc version. So if I get the 5 Ultimate will I be able to play on PS4?

I still run a lot of PS4 games in SDR mode.

The HDR landscape at the moment is very hit & miss - some games are 'mastered' (for want of a better word) with cheap TVs in mind, some are mastered for good TVs, some games have good calibration settings, others don't. There's definitely games that look worse with HDR turned on.

In the outgoing generation it was a late addition, kind of "tacked on" to game engines in a half-hearted way, fake implementations etc. I hope the situation will be better moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Crap, checked my telly, changed to HDMI my PS4 used to be connected to and saw it is set to Game Mode with TruMotion off so that's not it. Must look up the other picture settings, see if I can find anything else to improve the experience. Other than that, I find the local dimming annoying. Black screen with a tiny load symbol in the corner and a chunk of the screen brightens up. Turning it off gives the whole screen a faded look so not sure which option is best, probably to leave it on but a dark same like demons souls might show it up more.

Better to leave the local dimming on. The loading screen thing is annoying, but that really should be the only time you notice it. With PS5 loading should really only be a second, so that problem will go away pretty much.

Motion smoothing is the worst thing to happen in tech ever, it is literally evil and anyone that likes it probably also sniffs bicycle seats and listens to Coldplay.

And yes, usually TVs have different settings for each mode AND each HDMI port, updating them can sometimes wipe these settings too. Another issue I find people have with HDR (while I am on the subject) is that kicking in HDMI mode can sometimes change colour temperature to 'warm' anyone that has this issue should go into their settings while HDR is engaged and change it to 'neutral' or whichever they prefer.

You should absolutely leave local dimming on, its infinitely better than edge-lit. The colour intensity will be uniform across the screen and it completely eliminates light bleed.
    I still run a lot of PS4 games in SDR mode. I changed it

The HDR landscape at the moment is very hit & miss - some games are 'mastered' (for want of a better word) with cheap TVs in mind, some are mastered for good TVs, some games have good calibration settings, others don't. There's definitely games that look worse with HDR turned on.

In the outgoing generation it was a late addition, kind of "tacked on" to game engines in a half-hearted way, fake implementations etc. I hope the situation will be better moving forward.

None of this is true at all, there are games that have limited HDR implementation and screens that have poor HDR capability, but no game is mastered for different kinds of screen. The expanded colour palette is encoded into the image and the TV itself can deal with it how it likes. Some games just have a wider range of colours to display because of their particular visual design. Even on a TV with poor HDR, it will just look closer to SDR, I can't conceive of a panel where HDR would look visibly worse than SDR.

Much like above, I suspect your issue is with the TV settings when HDR is engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I bought a 65” 4K with HDR a couple weeks a go and the difference is unreal.

Horizon looks so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I bought a 65” 4K with HDR a couple weeks a go and the difference is unreal.

Horizon looks so much better.
    what tv did you get? I want to get a new tv but I know feck all about TV's and I really couldn't be bothered researching. :D

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    what tv did you get? I want to get a new tv but I know feck all about TV's and I really couldn't be bothered researching. :D

I did so much research last year before buying my LG 49 SM8500 for €700 in a sale. Have it a year but never fully happy with it. The worst part is I bought it for Cyberpunk that was due out a couple of months later so I could have held out. Think I'll wait for the PS5 Pro to come out and look for a new telly then with a rule of not buying anything under €1000

So yeah, do some research....and than do some more....and then wait a year...and then do some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Never once had an issue with HDR with my Pro, games look stunning, vibrant and sharp, maybe it's your TV.

THIS!!! HDR is a game changer and much more important to my eyes than even 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pulse headset arrived today, any hope of getting the console a day early too? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Miles Morales PS5 delivered from Smyths this morning. Hoping the console arrives a day early next week too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement