Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

dan786 wrote: »
    I worked for a electronics retailer at PS4 launch and we did trade ins also. I remember posting on here as we had lots of stock and didnt take any preorders.

We had a certain group of people come in with 4 x PS4 to trade in on launch day and were willing to accept 250 cash for each.

This was in The Square Tallaght, I wonder were they got them from. Also they are handing them out in clear bags so wouldnt be hard to tell you have a PS5.

Ya this is part the reason i wanna get in and out and no messing around. Your just drawing attention to yourself hanging around there bringing something that expensive out. Sure every-time im around there and i lock me bike i get comments like ehhh that bike new etc etc

Surely Smyths wont want queues to big outside anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This could explain the lack of Dolby Vision on PS5

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/xbox-series-x-and-s-to-feature-dolby-vision-gaming/

Dolby are partnering with Microsoft to bring "Dolby Vision Gaming" to Xbox Series X & S. A new standard, with even better colours and black levels than the current Dolby Vision puts out

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

My game was scanned by an post this evening.. finally

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah yes, MS yet again trying to compete by buying out everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Ah yes, MS yet again trying to compete by buying out everything...

What have they bought now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Wing126 wrote: »

I think it's to do with dolby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

F1ngers wrote: »
    Why would they stagger?
    Other people are collecting non PS5 related stuff too, they would have to be allocated a specific time too.

Nobody ahead of me was collecting PS5 peripherals this morning, big clear plastic bags being used...:pac:

Not a big que in smyths blanch either today but its hardly the same as launch day. Id say maybe a quarter of people ordered extra stuff that was available today.

Wing126 wrote: »

Yup, partnering with Dolby:
    gerrybbadd wrote: »

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/xbox-series-x-and-s-to-feature-dolby-vision-gaming/

Dolby are partnering with Microsoft to bring "Dolby Vision Gaming" to Xbox Series X & S. A new standard, with even better colours and black levels than the current Dolby Vision puts out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Sony could go with HDR 10+ instead I guess. Not sure how well it does against Dolby Vision, but it is an open standard and should be better than HDR 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

As cool as that is, you’ll need a 12 bit TV to make the most of it and since I just bought an OLED a few months ago I’m not interested in upgrading for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is Sackboy Adventures set to be the worst selling game, for now? Most people seem to be getting Miles Morales and/or Demon's Souls. then we have Astrobot on the console and Bugsnax on Plus so platformers are covered.
    Is anyone here getting it? I guess the price doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So is Sackboy Adventures set to be the worst selling game, for now? Most people seem to be getting Miles Morales and/or Demon's Souls. then we have Astrobot on the console and Bugsnax on Plus so platformers are covered.
    Is anyone here getting it? I guess the price doesn't help either.

I'd put Godfall in that spot. Sackboy is getting pretty good reviews and is a good family game. Most revwoeas are pretty high on it. Godfall on the other hand has gotten only middling reviews and I haven't heard anyone hyped for it.

I didn't even know it was releasing with the console, thought it was an upcoming game. I enjoyed the first LBP, but couldn't get into the second one, and never played the third despite having it through Plus. I'll probably wait for the inevitable addition of it to Now or Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I didn't even know it was releasing with the console, thought it was an upcoming game. I enjoyed the first LBP, but couldn't get into the second one, and never played the third despite having it through Plus. I'll probably wait for the inevitable addition of it to Now or Plus.

It's completely different to LBP, more of a spin off with new developers. It's 3D rather than side on, and they've removed all of the level creation stuff the series was built around. Reviews suggest the platforming gameplay is stronger with all the focus being on that rather than creativity tools.

It looks like the go to game for couch co-op. I probably won't buy it straight away though, there's too many games coming at launch to really keep up with.

Oh, shows what I knew about it. I'll have a look, but as you said, so many games to play that it's not worth splashing straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

One or two of these tips might be useful/news to you;

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

I wonder what courier smyths will use for the ps5.

I ordered the headset and charging station for the controllers from them.

Both shipped Tuesday and the headset arrived yesterday with DPD and the charging station has been stuck with an post in Dublin mail centre the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

FYI for anyone still trying to get a ps5 before Christmas sometime in the last few days smyths changed the status of both ps5’s from
    “out of stock.Expected in stock: 19th November 2020”
    To
    “out of stock.Expected in stock: December 2020”
    Might mean nothing but possibly a sign of more expected stock before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Hi all, just wondering has anyone got any recommendations for a headset for ps5? Not looking to spend the €100 on the playstation one, just a simple enough for 20-30 quid. What would the best options be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Smyths shipped my Demon Souls and extra controller on Tuesday - got it yesterday. Courier

Gamestop shipped my remote and Charging station on Tuesday - An Post says it isnt even in sorting yet.

I've the console arriving by Post from Gamestop - Looks like I probably wont get it launch day if An Post is to go by. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

double GG wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering has anyone got any recommendations for a headset for ps5? Not looking to spend the €100 on the playstation one, just a simple enough for 20-30 quid. What would the best options be?

Anything by Turtle Beach has been great for me personally. But just remember the PS5 doesn't allow for optical output (which is what I'm coming here to moan about anyway), but seeing as you're only looking to spend 30 odd quid I'd say go for the wired recon series of TB headsets.

These ones are a good example. They have a 3.5mm jack so they will plug into anything that allows for headphone connections. They'll plug straight into your Dualshock/DualSense controller and they'll work.

There are other brands such as Astro and the likes, but I haven't looked at them. I'm very much exclusively a Turtle Beach fan, they've never let me down.

LADS!!!!!

What's with the lack of an optical output on the PS5?

I forked out way too much money on the headphones I currently use and I don't feel comfortable just dumping them and buying a proprietary pair of headphones that'll only be compatible with one console. I play multiple consoles and these headphones have served me well. They plug into my PS2 for god's sake, and they work!

Would there be any workaround options? Like a converter? I just don't fancy dumping these headphones I've been using for 3 years just because Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) want to be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

double GG wrote: »

I am going to get the Arctis 1 wireless for Xbox ( specifically them as I have both consoles and the dongle can flick between ps5 and xbox) They have confirmed the pulse 3d will work with the drivers. As a side note the usb C dongle will be wireless to tablets, switch etc. They also come with a headphone jack in case the charge runs out ( shame it doesnt take AA batteries )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Arctis-Wireless-Xbox-Detachable/dp/B08756LHT5/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3F66HREV2HHQC&dchild=1&keywords=arctis+1+wireless+xbox&qid=1605259739&sprefix=arctis+1+wirel%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

sticker wrote: »
    Smyths shipped my Demon Souls and extra controller on Tuesday - got it yesterday. Courier

Gamestop shipped my remote and Charging station on Tuesday - An Post says it isnt even in sorting yet.

I've the console arriving by Post from Gamestop - Looks like I probably wont get it launch day if An Post is to go by. :(

I've ordered extra controller/charging dock/head set as well as the console and game from gamestop. Like you the controller and charging station have no updates but it took approx 10 hours from an update on the headset to happen for it to arrive outside my door.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, my game is being delivered through UPS. I think it's a lottery at the moment when things will arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

sticker wrote: »

An Post are struggling badly at the minute. Had a package arrive into their sorting center on Nov 2nd and it was only delivered to me this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

LADS!!!!!

I forked out way too much money on the headphones I currently use and I don't feel comfortable just dumping them and buying a proprietary pair of headphones that'll only be compatible with one console. I play multiple consoles and these headphones have served me well. They plug into my PS2 for god's sake, and they work!

Would there be any workaround options? Like a converter? I just don't fancy dumping these headphones I've been using for 3 years just because Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) want to be awkward.

Optical wasn't included in the PS4 slim or PS4 pro either. It's on the way out I'm afraid. Sony and MS probably looking to streamline the ports on the back of the console.
    Can you get an adapter to plug into the controller? You would get the benefit of tempest 3D audio then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Optical wasn't included in the PS4 slim or PS4 pro either. It's on the way out I'm afraid. Sony and MS probably looking to streamline the ports on the back of the console.
    Can you get an adapter to plug into the controller? You would get the benefit of tempest 3D audio then.

It's definitely on the pro (or it is on mine anyway!).

I'm in the same boat, have a good headset that I don't want to just get rid of. From looking into it HDMI to optical adapters exist, not sure how good they are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Optical Audio port is available on the ps4 pro, i use it with my headset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but optical is extremely outdated and needs to be phased out. You can absolutely get a splitter that will sort your problem though, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Extractor-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B08B8QTN1K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=28QH5OGDCOGBS&dchild=1&keywords=optical+hdmi+splitter&qid=1605260258&sprefix=optical+hdmi+splitt%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-3

I have never used one of these so I can't say if it will cause any other issues or anything, but something like that could be a decent workaround for the time being. Should be easy to hide behind your TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

HotMama89 wrote: »
    I contacted Amazon today and was told I should be able to change the address to republic once a courier is assigned to the delivery 48 hours from today.

Ah brilliant but I had topped up my PM balance and paid the insurance!

EDIT: I just tried to amend address to RoI and no dice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anything by Turtle Beach has been great for me personally. But just remember the PS5 doesn't allow for optical output (which is what I'm coming here to moan about anyway), but seeing as you're only looking to spend 30 odd quid I'd say go for the wired recon series of TB headsets.

These ones are a good example. They have a 3.5mm jack so they will plug into anything that allows for headphone connections. They'll plug straight into your Dualshock/DualSense controller and they'll work.

There are other brands such as Astro and the likes, but I haven't looked at them. I'm very much exclusively a Turtle Beach fan, they've never let me down.

LADS!!!!!

Optical output has been dropped from both consoles.

I know Astro has updated headsets to work through USB so maybe the same for your headset?

Would a DAC work for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement