Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Anything by Turtle Beach has been great for me personally. But just remember the PS5 doesn't allow for optical output (which is what I'm coming here to moan about anyway), but seeing as you're only looking to spend 30 odd quid I'd say go for the wired recon series of TB headsets.

These ones are a good example. They have a 3.5mm jack so they will plug into anything that allows for headphone connections. They'll plug straight into your Dualshock/DualSense controller and they'll work.

There are other brands such as Astro and the likes, but I haven't looked at them. I'm very much exclusively a Turtle Beach fan, they've never let me down.

LADS!!!!!

What's with the lack of an optical output on the PS5?

I forked out way too much money on the headphones I currently use and I don't feel comfortable just dumping them and buying a proprietary pair of headphones that'll only be compatible with one console. I play multiple consoles and these headphones have served me well. They plug into my PS2 for god's sake, and they work!

Would there be any workaround options? Like a converter? I just don't fancy dumping these headphones I've been using for 3 years just because Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) want to be awkward.

I have the Arctis Pro & Gamedac. I was annoyed with the lack of port too, but there is an option to connect to the optical connection on TV, and usb for chat audio. I believe they have it updated for PS5 to run through everything through USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Markitron wrote: »
    I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but optical is extremely outdated and needs to be phased out. You can absolutely get a splitter that will sort your problem though, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Extractor-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B08B8QTN1K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=28QH5OGDCOGBS&dchild=1&keywords=optical+hdmi+splitter&qid=1605260258&sprefix=optical+hdmi+splitt%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-3

I have never used one of these so I can't say if it will cause any other issues or anything, but something like that could be a decent workaround for the time being. Should be easy to hide behind your TV too.

That linked one means you’ll be limited to 4K30 so definitely don’t be using that.

You’d need a splitter with HDMI2.1 support but I’m not sure if they exist yet. Really I’d recommend just moving on and getting a new headset. Optical out is on its last legs at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

rm212 wrote: »
    That linked one means you’ll be limited to 4K30 so definitely don’t be using that.

You’d need a splitter with HDMI2.1 support but I’m not sure if they exist yet. Really I’d recommend just moving on and getting a new headset. Optical out is on its last legs at this stage.

Yea as I said, wasn't recommending that particular one, just something like it. Would agree that just getting a new one is best, optical needs to go, much in the same way that scart/RGB cables were phased out when the PS4 and XB1 came along

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

sticker wrote: »
    Smyths shipped my Demon Souls and extra controller on Tuesday - got it yesterday. Courier

Gamestop shipped my remote and Charging station on Tuesday - An Post says it isnt even in sorting yet.

I've the console arriving by Post from Gamestop - Looks like I probably wont get it launch day if An Post is to go by. :(

Gamestop shipped both my controller and Demons Souls on Tuesday night. Both scanned / sorted at the same time, but only controller was delivered this morning, (game still at sorting).

I'm praying the console ships first thing Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stephen.Walsh_

Looking at 4K TVs for the new PS5, have about 400/500 to spend, would anyone recommend the LG 43UN71006LB or the Samsung 43" TU7100? Thanks in advance for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Whats everyone thoughts on the Dualsense for those who have one already? Def feels a lot higher quality and sturdier in the hands for me. Think Im going to prefer it much more to the Dualshock 4.

Such a tease having the games and accesories here and no consoles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sticker wrote: »
    Smyths shipped my Demon Souls and extra controller on Tuesday - got it yesterday. Courier

Gamestop shipped my remote and Charging station on Tuesday - An Post says it isnt even in sorting yet.

I've the console arriving by Post from Gamestop - Looks like I probably wont get it launch day if An Post is to go by. :(

If its anything like the Xbox deliveries,, they'll be using everyone. Mione came with UPS, next day delivery. PS5 seems to have more units to ship around so it'll probably be even more hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Looking at 4K TVs for the new PS5, have about 400/500 to spend, would anyone recommend the LG 43UN71006LB or the Samsung 43" TU7100? Thanks in advance for the help

Think I said this previously but you will find it hard to get more bang for your buck with that Samsung TU7100 series. The display on it is very good and whilst its not going to be at the standard as flagship models - its still more than acceptable. Sound is average at best but if you're using a headset then happy days.

I haven't looked at the LG so not sure so maybe someone else can advise you which to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Think I said this previously but you will find it hard to get more bang for your buck with that Samsung TU7100 series. The display on it is very good and whilst its not going to be at the standard as flagship models - its still more than acceptable. Sound is average at best but if you're using a headset then happy days.

I haven't looked at the LG so not sure so maybe someone else can advise you which to go for.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near LG LCDs as I’ve always found them awful. Samsung is good value for money in the entry level range

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

picked up the 43um7450pla (slightly lower range afaik than the one you're looking at) over first lockdown

no issues with it, good 4k, really good HDR, sound could be a bit more balanced but that's only if i'm nit picking for an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

There is no point having 4K unless it's 55 or bigger. Unless for the 43 you plan on sitting a foot from the TV haha.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    There is point having 4K unless it's 55 or bigger. Unless for the 43 you plan on sitting a foot from the TV haha.

I don't know why this myth persists but it just isn't true

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Last year I bought the relatively entry level Samsung RU7100 50" TV and as 4K TVs go I am happy with the picture. Would I get a better picture from a more expensive screen with OLED or QLED? Yes i would but I bought mine from Amazon and got it for €420 which I was quite happy with. Might have been replaced with the TU models recently. Quite similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-TU7110-Crystal-Smart/dp/B089M6YNSC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1BQMIB8HLKUFA&dchild=1&keywords=samsung+50+inch+smart+tv+4k&qid=1605265978&sprefix=samsung+50%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

LADS!!!!!

What's with the lack of an optical output on the PS5?

I forked out way too much money on the headphones I currently use and I don't feel comfortable just dumping them and buying a proprietary pair of headphones that'll only be compatible with one console. I play multiple consoles and these headphones have served me well. They plug into my PS2 for god's sake, and they work!

Would there be any workaround options? Like a converter? I just don't fancy dumping these headphones I've been using for 3 years just because Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) want to be awkward.

Xbox Series X dumped the optical port as well. My Astro A20s got a firmware update to work with just USB for the Series X. Check if you headset has a firmware update. If it is a relatively new model, it should be getting a firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Where is best price on Demon Souls guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Where is best price on Demon Souls guys?

Demons Souls is $70 on US PSN store. You can buy $70 worth of credit from instant-gaming.com for €58. It's 80 in smyths and GS, 85 in argos.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Demons Souls is $70 on US PSN store. You can buy $70 worth of credit from instant-gaming.com for €58. It's 80 in smyths and GS, 85 in argos.

Yea with the physical version your options are limited, I just bit the bullet and got it from Smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Markitron wrote: »
    I don't know why this myth persists but it just isn't true

It's not a myth, 43 inches is way to small to notice any significance between 1080 and 4k, there just isn't enough size. Head into HN or PC World and look at the TV's on display, you can see with your own eyes.

There is a fair few 50-55 LG's that are amazing value.

The best thing consoles have is HDR, 4K is over rated imo.

I have a soundbar so that’s sorts that issue!

just did a quick search.
    ‘ Most experts agree that the minimum screen size to be able to enjoy 4K without having to sit too close is 42 inches‘
    Perfect for me!

• Advertisement

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    It's not a myth, 43 inches is way to small to notice any significance between 1080 and 4k, there just isn't enough size. Head into HN or PC World and look at the TV's on display, you can see with your own eyes.

There is a fair few 50-55 LG's that are amazing value.

The best thing consoles have is HDR, 4K is over rated imo.

I have a 43'' display that I use as a monitor and it is night and day between 2k and 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

wes wrote: »
    Xbox Series X dumped the optical port as well. My Astro A20s got a firmware update to work with just USB for the Series X. Check if you headset has a firmware update. If it is a relatively new model, it should be getting a firmware update.

It's a TB Elite 800. I'll have a look

I won't have the console for another while anyway so I'm hoping at least there is something I can do to get a use out of it by then. I know I can plug it into the controller but with optical it's 7.1 surround with all the other gimmicks attached to it, sucks I can't use it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I won't have the console for another while anyway so I'm hoping at least there is something I can do to get a use out of it by then. I know I can plug it into the controller but with optical it's 7.1 surround with all the other gimmicks attached to it, sucks I can't use it

Only other option is to use the optical off the TV, and plug in the USB into the PS5. That could work as a workaround.

I think someone else already suggested the above as well. Worth a try I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Doesn't look like it's listed as compatible - https://www.turtlebeach.com/pages/ps5-headset-compatibility

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭DeadWeight

Seen some say Smyths have charged for the console at least for UK anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Whats everyone thoughts on the Dualsense for those who have one already? Def feels a lot higher quality and sturdier in the hands for me. Think Im going to prefer it much more to the Dualshock 4.

Such a tease having the games and accesories here and no consoles.

It’s a LOT heavier, but feels very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm not really following the Dolby DTS, optical stuff previously but seeing as a game arrived today I'm just throwing up the details on the back of it.

I wonder when Amazon will charge for it, I'm guessing Tuesday
    Berty wrote: »
    I'm not really following the Dolby DTS, optical stuff previously but seeing as a game arrived today I'm just throwing up the details on the back of it.

Standard labels, don't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

It’s a LOT heavier, but feels very comfortable.

My first thoughts too, a LOT heavier than I expected but does have a very high quality feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Wing126 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it's listed as compatible - https://www.turtlebeach.com/pages/ps5-headset-compatibility

I know, it's because it uses an optical cable, which is why I'm annoyed that I spent 200 euro on it at the time, it's still that price 3 years later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement