Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

It looks fierce big if this is accurate:
    zttaoq9tph451.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It doesn't look like it has more mass than the series x

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

F1ngers wrote: »
    Nothing on Smyths or Gamestop apart from "register your interest".
    Signed up for both of them.
    Waiting game now for bundles etc.

A local electrical Expert store here in Cavan put a message up on Facebook earlier saying they’d take deposits.

I messaged them and asked could they guarantee they’ll get stock and got no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Still not really clear. Is Spider-Man: Miles Morales a full price game? Can you just buy the Miles Morales add-on separately or do you have to buy the whole Spiderman package to get the Miles Morales add-on? Is that going to cost me €70? Is there a discount if I own Spiderman on PS4?

Sony are really screwing their messaging here, especially when you see stuff like this from Microsoft? It's like the two companies are swapping where they started the last generation from.

It's been confirmed that it's fully fledged standalone title. Along the lines of Uncharted Lost Legacy.
    There may be a PS5 optomised edition including everything. But it's a full standalone. Yes they could have clarified it at the time of the announcement.

But maybe it's a tactic, to get people debating.... It worked, if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is it true that if you want Ray Tracing in games you have to sacrifice fps? So for example you'll get 60fps+ without it but if you turn it on you'll get 30fps at most?

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Is it true that if you want Ray Tracing in games you have to sacrifice fps? So for example you'll get 60fps+ without it but if you turn it on you'll get 30fps at most?

I doubt it. But it is true that ray tracing takes a lot of compute power.
    Expect to see limited use of it in games for the first few years.
    The when developers get a better understanding on how to use the technology it will be used more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I bet in a years time there will be a new model
    issued that looks better it just looks ugly, I presume its designed that way to allow effecient cooling and airflow around it
    I Think the new Xbox looks much better
    I think the 8k spec is pr Bs there will be no aa games released in 8k mode, no one has 8k tvs
    1080p or 4k tvs are standard now
    I have no interest in 3d sound, I think Sony loves to make new standards or video, audio formats they can patent and maybe charge other Companys to be allowed to use in devices
    No Dev is making games that are optimised for 8k I think even HD TV is designed for 1080p mode
    If devs can make all games work at 60fps in 1080p or 4k it would be amazing
    I think Microsoft lost the last gen race, so they will release the next xbox at 400 euro or less
    even if it means they lose money on each console sold
    I think Ray tracing will have very limited use in most games as it reduces the average frame
    rate as it uses so much computing power
    If a game is well designed and has good graphics and a well written story i do, nt care about ray tracing I think the new unreal engine
    will be very useful as it automatically calculates
    how lights work in a scene and it allows graphics assets to be loaded into the game engine and automatically scaled up and down
    in various levels of detail.
    I wonder what will happen as to how games are designed, if every game is designed using 1080 p Hdr and 4k assets it will mean games will be very large in size on the new consoles
    3d audio files and 4k Hdr files take up a lot of space . You might only have space for 4 or 5 Aa games on the ps4 ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

xtal191 wrote: »

Yes to run fully fledged RT FPS takes a massive hit and that's using dedicated tensor cores on an RTX20 Series card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I was testing out Control on my 2060 Super just last night. The reflections are incredible, but it’s a heck of a performance hog.

That said, there’s some seriously smart tech at play, such as the internal resolution rendering options. No doubt developers will be able to make smart decisions with the unified PS5 / XBSX user base.

Yeah I was testing out Control on my 2060 Super just last night. The reflections are incredible, but it’s a heck of a performance hog.

That said, there’s some seriously smart tech at play, such as the internal resolution rendering options. No doubt developers will be able to make smart decisions with the unified PS5 / XBSX user base.

DLSS is available to Nvidia cards which can upscale your resolution if you drop to 1080P and then use RT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TitianGerm wrote: »
    DLSS is available to Nvidia cards which can upscale your resolution if you drop to 1080P and then use RT.

Yep, that’s the smart tech I was referring to - makes ray-tracing an option for sure :) Still obviously more demanding than playing without RT enabled.

Yep, that’s the smart tech I was referring to - makes ray-tracing an option for sure :) Still obviously more demanding than playing without RT enabled.

Yes but DLSS is Nvidia tech so it's not an option for next gen as they're AMD based.

The PS5 will have hardware accelerated ray tracing using AMD's Intersection Engine.
    There very little info on this yet. I expect the use of ray tracing to be very limited in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just in case didn't realise it, this is the boot screen for the PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Didn't realise that. It's nice though isn't it?

RedXIV wrote: »
    Didn't realise that. It's nice though isn't it?

Yeah it was on the IGN TikTok. I'm liking it, much different than PS4 one

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

RedXIV wrote: »
    I started putting money away into gamestop since around xmas, under the guise of a preorder. you may be able to do similar?

I wouldn’t trust GameStop personally and I’ll stick to Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Smyths are safer than Gamestop but nowhere is 100%

Smyths bought up all the old Toys R us in the Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in 2018, and last year they expanded over there further. A lot of money spent to expand and then have those store shut down for months.

Just in case didn't realise it, this is the boot screen for the PS5

Tis no PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Varik wrote: »
    Smyths are safer than Gamestop but nowhere is 100%

Smyths bought up all the old Toys R us in the Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in 2018, and last year they expanded over there further. A lot of money spent to expand and then have those store shut down for months.

Well Smyths does do a bigger selection of products them Gamestop so you expect it to be safer in that regard but I say as a retailer be it brick and mortar or online I thought it be safe enough unless I have missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If I’m buying one at launch, I’d personally take the super safe option of Amazon with Prime delivery. Might be a day or two late at worst but there’s no fear of missing out and excellent customer support if anything goes wrong.

Just can’t trust brick and mortar shops here in times like these, but Smyths would surely be a safer bet than GameStop.

Got my PS4 in Argos on launch day by pure persistence and luck but I’m not going through that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Digital Foundry's reaction to the entire presentation, for those of you with 80 mins to spare.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think people were expecting a bit too much from this. The reveal was always laid out as a look at the upcoming games on PS5. There was never a promise of price, specs, options, support. There wasn't even a mention of the console reveal, but they did that and the main accessories. They showed more than they said they would, including the hidden PS5 startup above (I like it, they seem to like particles).

We're still months from a release date, and while stock will be limited I think Sony know that people don't mass buy consoles on release anymore. They don't expect everyone to rush out and buy one, they probably know console releases are slow burners. But either way, I'll be doing my best to get one on launch. Even if the launch titles are few and far between, PS4 games will work on it, so I can still play them. Hopefully we'll get the free upgrade to the enhanced version, or Sony will definitely lose people to MS.

Overall, I think it was an excellent showing that did what it said it would, show games, and then some. It's like NMS without the lies, people giving out that it didn't include what they wanted it to. Calling BS on the NBA 2K21 "gameplay" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think it's the digital edition they want people to buy and the one with a disc drive is just there to keep some people happy
    There would be a backlash if the xbox series x has a drive and the ps5 does not.

It's more than keeping some people happy. More people than most think still don't have the speeds or ability to download huge files. They would be excluding a huge chunk of gamers if there was no disc drive and cutting their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

martyos121 wrote: »
    If I’m buying one at launch, I’d personally take the super safe option of Amazon with Prime delivery. Might be a day or two late at worst but there’s no fear of missing out and excellent customer support if anything goes wrong.

Just can’t trust brick and mortar shops here in times like these, but Smyths would surely be a safer bet than GameStop.

Got my PS4 in Argos on launch day by pure persistence and luck but I’m not going through that again.

Not used prime lately but Amazon have gotten abysmally slow for normal delivery to Ireland, takes them a week to even ship it the order let alone the time it take to get here.

If you were going Amazon you'd probably be better ordering using prime to Parcel motel or Address pal. If I'd to guess I'd say Parcel motel as they're in the North so it'll be in the north launch day and maybe at a locker that evening.

Not used prime lately but Amazon have gotten abysmally slow for normal delivery to Ireland, takes them a week to even ship it the order let alone the time it take to get here.

If you were going Amazon you'd probably be better ordering using prime to Parcel motel or Address pal. If I'd to guess I'd say Parcel motel as they're in the North so it'll be in the north launch day and maybe at a locker that evening.

Amazon have altered their delivery schedule to ship essential items within their normal/previous regime with non essentials pushed back. It's to protect their workers given the enormous demand on them.

It's only due to the pandemic so it should revert to normal as the year goes on and before the PS5 is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I've got prime, still taking ages for delivery. Could be a Covid thing but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Amazon have altered their delivery schedule to ship essential items within their normal/previous regime with non essentials pushed back. It's to protect their workers given the enormous demand on them.

It's only due to the pandemic so it should revert to normal as the year goes on and before the PS5 is out.

There’s a big thread in Consumer Issues about it. Next day dispatch for the UK for almost anything. 10 days before it dispatches for Ireland, Prime or not. It certainly doesn't seem to be For essential items. PM and AdressPal are slow now as well, in most cases. Watch the insurance cover as well using those.

whiterebel wrote: »
    There’s a big thread in Consumer Issues about it. Next day dispatch for the UK for almost anything. 10 days before it dispatches for Ireland, Prime or not. It certainly doesn't seem to be For essential items. PM and AdressPal are slow now as well, in most cases. Watch the insurance cover as well using those.

Interesting, I stand corrected. I remember a big spiel I got in an email from them about it but clearly it was BS so thanks for the heads up! Will check out the thread.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've used Parcelwizard twice in the last 2 months with Amazon as was taking more than a week earlier than if shipping to Irish Address. Would still take another 3 days to deliver from DPD themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement