Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Wing126 wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with you there. I hope the creation of a Digital Edition console is a step in that direction though. I'd gladly pay the price if Sony's service was as impressive as Game Pass. I think the ability to download the titles is strongly needed also. Not sure if PSNow offers that already, has been a while since I even looked at PSNow.

You can download PS2 and PS4 games, you can only stream PS3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

J. Marston wrote: »
    €600 minimum, I reckon.

The last time they priced a console that high it basically created the concept of a meme. They will never go that high again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Markitron wrote: »
    The last time they priced a console that high it basically created the concept of a meme. They will never go that high again.

But that was because of the price of the 360. The challenge is not to get well below a $600 price point but to be competitive to what Microsoft is offering.

Just to put it in perspective $600 in 2006 is the equivalent of close to $800 today when you allow for inflation. Sony won't go that crazy this time, the price will be well below $800!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Mike3287 wrote: »

XSX supposedly going to be €450 at launch with a gpu as strong as €1200 rtx 2080ti, now that's value for money

Do you really see it outperforming at €1200 GPU?

Do you really see it outperforming at €1200 GPU?

I think Nvidia's prices are inflated right now due to lack of competition.
    You will have to wait for AMD to release big Navia to see how the price compares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The only comparison I've seen is digital foundry saying the series x gpu seems to be pretty close to a 2080 and not the 2080 ti. There's quite a difference between a 2080 and a 2080 ti.

I'd also be shocked if the series x was €450.

The most important thing is not to have a launch that looks bad compared to the competitor.
    After that it's all about the long game to slowly build a large user base. Most people may not come on board until a slight price drop when supply of components is no longer an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

But that was because of the price of the 360. The challenge is not to get well below a $600 price point but to be competitive to what Microsoft is offering.

Just to put it in perspective $600 in 2006 is the equivalent of close to $800 today when you allow for inflation. Sony won't go that crazy this time, the price will be well below $800!

I don't know, I've seen plenty of speculation about USD 400-500 around, but the fact is this: the upcoming consoles are, for the first time in two generations, actually bringing some innovation and cutting edge technology to the scene. Back in the day, both the PS3/Xbox360 and PS4/Xb One generations were comparable to a contemporary entry level gaming PC, especially CPU side, and used pretty much derivative hardware.

The upcoming ones are using current hardware (Zen 2), GPUs comparable to the mid/mid-high tier of PC equivalents, hi-level specs (e.g. PCI-E 4.0) and are bringing some innovations of their own (well, AMD own, really), like the PS5's approach to SSD.

I fear the price announcement will be quite a shocker, honestly, unless both Sony and MS decide to take a massive hit on the consoles in order to penetrate the market. I am kinda expecting something like 799 for the PS5 - and the Series X won't be far. Also, we're obviously gonna get the short end of the stick as usual - whatever figure it'll be in USD, will be the exact same in Euro, without consideration for the exchange rate nor the fact that the relative value of the same figure is much higher here.

Suicide? Maybe, but we know the initial batch of consoles WILL sell out before they hit the shops, even if they were 2 grands, and the scarcity will cause piled up demand after Christmas.

I really, really hope I am wrong. The fact no prices have been spoken of, by either company, kinda sends a "ehrm...are you sitting down? Right..." kinda vibe...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I really, really hope I am wrong. The fact no prices have been spoken of, by either company, kinda sends a "ehrm...are you sitting down? Right..." kinda vibe...

Can't remember where I saw it, but I think someone from Sony was implying that they're emphasising "value over price" or something like that. Which generally means.... expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't know, I've seen plenty of speculation about USD 400-500 around, but the fact is this: the upcoming consoles are, for the first time in two generations, actually bringing some innovation and cutting edge technology to the scene. Back in the day, both the PS3/Xbox360 and PS4/Xb One generations were comparable to a contemporary entry level gaming PC, especially CPU side, and used pretty much derivative hardware.

The upcoming ones are using current hardware (Zen 2), GPUs comparable to the mid/mid-high tier of PC equivalents, hi-level specs (e.g. PCI-E 4.0) and are bringing some innovations of their own (well, AMD own, really), like the PS5's approach to SSD.

I fear the price announcement will be quite a shocker, honestly, unless both Sony and MS decide to take a massive hit on the consoles in order to penetrate the market. I am kinda expecting something like 799 for the PS5 - and the Series X won't be far. Also, we're obviously gonna get the short end of the stick as usual - whatever figure it'll be in USD, will be the exact same in Euro, without consideration for the exchange rate nor the fact that the relative value of the same figure is much higher here.

Suicide? Maybe, but we know the initial batch of consoles WILL sell out before they hit the shops, even if they were 2 grands, and the scarcity will cause piled up demand after Christmas.

I reckon if they come out with those kind of prices, they'll just drive more people towards getting a PC, because you're getting too far into that territory by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Penn wrote: »
    Can't remember where I saw it, but I think someone from Sony was implying that they're emphasising "value over price" or something like that. Which generally means.... expensive.

Yeah, I saw that. It was Jim Ryan talking to either CNET or BBC.

I reckon if they come out with those kind of prices, they'll just drive more people towards getting a PC, because you're getting too far into that territory by then.

Logic would dictate that, but never, ever underestimate the power of marketing. The vast majority of people still have the ingrained notion that a console is "no hassle", even 'though they've required online updates and patches for years (e.g. the Christmas-day debacle of a couple of years ago with kids opening up PS4s and XB1s and spending the whole day waiting for it to update).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Logic would dictate that, but never, ever underestimate the power of marketing. The vast majority of people still have the ingrained notion that a console is "no hassle", even 'though they've required online updates and patches for years (e.g. the Christmas-day debacle of a couple of years ago with kids opening up PS4s and XB1s and spending the whole day waiting for it to update).

Well, to be fair, consoles are certainly 'less hassle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s true but crucially they don’t need a hardware upgrade to handle the latest game for the same machine. Personally, if it gets too close to a decent gaming PC in price it would be hard to justify. Defining a decent gaming pc would be hard work !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’d be a catastrophic decision to release a new console that costs €800. Almost inevitable this’ll be a bit more expensive than the last gen at launch given the tech involved, but consoles are built around being affordable to a mass market. €800 for a games console is not affordable to a mass market. It’s a different prospect entirely to a smartphone or even a PC / laptop.

So more than €400 and less than €800, that's close enough of an estimate for now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Good point, as is often the case, when you design something very nice, like the PlayStation touch pad, it's never used to the best of its potential outside of first party applications.

It works very well on Warframe

It’d be a catastrophic decision to release a new console that costs €800. Almost inevitable this’ll be a bit more expensive than the last gen at launch given the tech involved, but consoles are built around being affordable to a mass market. €800 for a games console is not affordable to a mass market. It’s a different prospect entirely to a smartphone or even a PC / laptop.

Is is REALLY different from, say, an iPhone X launched for 999USD? They are both non-necessary devices, pandering to an audience that has a keen following for the brand and the technology. I would bet anything that, even if the PS5 launched at 799, it would sell out the initial batch within hours, worldwide.

Price drops down the line would make it so that the console becomes more attractive to a wider consumer base.

I'd say one of the clues pointing out to a very high launch price is the fact they bothered with having both the "disc" and "digital only" versions of the console - at launch. What reason, other than desperately looking for ways to reduce retail price, are there for selling a cut down version of the product straight off the bat? Actually, between having different mouldings and possibly branching assembly lines for the two versions, it's likely this will COST Sony more money than they save by not adding the drive.

I'll say again - I really, really hope to be proven wrong, but every single clue points towards the "you'll need smelling salts" scenario for the price reveal. Maybe not 799, but 699 is a very realistic possibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As eye-watering and OTT as an iPhone X price is, I think more people will justify spending a lot on a decent phone because it’s such a central part of everyday life (plus there are various ways to offset the immediate cost). I don’t think the same argument can be made for a game console. Given the rise of Smart TVs and chromecasts, you can’t really consider the media player aspects that much of a value added extra these days either :) You also can’t forget how many people buy game consoles just to keep playing FIFA, CoD or a small number of titles as opposed to being brand loyalists.

Happy to retract all these points if my eyes do indeed water at the price, but I remember the catastrophic PR of the PS3 price reveal - something I’m sure Sony will be keen to avoid. Certainly don’t think 500-600 is outside the realms of possibility (and even that price range I’d understand the corporate pressure for a cheap SKU in the digital only version), but 800 IMO would be an extremely risky gamble for Sony given the way we’ve seen consoles play out in the past - as recently as the XB1, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As eye-watering and OTT as an iPhone X price is, I think more people will justify spending a lot on a decent phone because it’s such a central part of everyday life (plus there are various ways to offset the immediate cost). I don’t think the same argument can be made for a game console. Given the rise of Smart TVs and chromecasts, you can’t really consider the media player aspects that much of a value added extra these days either :) You also can’t forget how many people buy game consoles just to keep playing FIFA, CoD or a small number of titles as opposed to being brand loyalists.

Happy to retract all these points if my eyes do indeed water at the price, but I remember the catastrophic PR of the PS3 price reveal - something I’m sure Sony will be keen to avoid. Certainly don’t think 500-600 is outside the realms of possibility (and even that price range I’d understand the corporate pressure for a cheap SKU in the digital only version), but 800 IMO would be an extremely risky gamble for Sony given the way we’ve seen consoles play out in the past - as recently as the XB1, even.

It won't be over €600. I think that's the top end the majority or people will pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hard to see the price being any less than €650-699 at launch unless they want to take a big hit to their pockets selling them at a loss which in fairness they might do especially if pushed on price by microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It won't be over €600. I think that's the top end the majority or people will pay.

Definitely. I'm thinking €549 myself. By the time people pay for the console, a couple of launch games and maybe a peripheral that price will climb quickly.

Hopefully it'll be €549/499(Digital). Still a lot of machine for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

BloodBath wrote: »
    Hard to see the price being any less than €650-699 at launch unless they want to take a big hit to their pockets selling them at a loss which in fairness they might do especially if pushed on price by microsoft.

Consoles being sold at a loss to manufacturers has been happening since at least the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Definitely. I'm thinking €549 myself. By the time people pay for the console, a couple of launch games and maybe a peripheral that price will climb quickly.

Hopefully it'll be €549/499(Digital). Still a lot of machine for that price.

€549 for the digital version and €599 for the disk version and Sony will advertise it as including the Playroom game.

Then Microsoft will be €449 or €499 and include a Game Pass trial.

Wing126 wrote: »
    Consoles being sold at a loss to manufacturers has been happening since at least the PS2.

Not on the recent last gens. 8 year old cpu and gpu architecture is cheap.

There's only a couple of consoles that sold at a significant loss.

It's cutting edge stuff in these. They may well still be losing significant money selling them at €599.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not on the recent last gens. 8+ year old cpu and gpu architecture is cheap.

There's only a couple of consoles that sold at a significant loss.

It's cutting edge stuff in these. They may well still be losing significant money selling them at €599.

I still expect them to take some sort of loss on the sale of the console. I don't think selling the console at a loss is much of an issue to them when they make more money on games and subscriptions either way. They want to get the console in as many peoples hands as possible and you won't accomplish that with a €650+ price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You also have to factor in the components will get cheaper to manufacture/buy in the life span of the console.

The cost to manufacture in year one is not the same as it is in year 3 but the retail price will usually stay similar (barring flash sales and the like).

But they're also pushing this as an 8K ready system, as are microsoft for theirs.I also don't believe they'd consider anything below 24-30fps as playable for 8K, so it must be capable for that. That's way more than a RX 5700 xt can handle.

That's marketing jargon. There won't be a single game with 8k as an option. 8k is nearly 4 times the resolution of 4k.

Even the highest end PC's still struggle with a consistent 4k/100. As low as 60-70 in some newer games. 8k is a pipedream.

Calling it 8k ready means it will be able to play 8k video.

It also has 0 chance of native 4k/120 unless we're talking about some very basic 1-2 gen old graphics or they heavily use variable rate shading or upscaling from lower resolutions either of which aren't native 4k.

4k/60 is far more likely with some being 4k/30 that are pushing graphics hard.

Some PC like graphical presets options would be nice so you could choose frame rate over graphics quality if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Any info as to when the price will be revealed?

• Advertisement

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Any info as to when the price will be revealed?
    I think if they were close to revealing price they would have just done so at the June event when everyone was watching.

So i'd say it's at least a month away in that case. July or even August.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement