Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Playing chicken with microsoft to see who reveals pricing first so they can respond I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't Sony usually have an event later in the year?

We also have Gamescom in August, if it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Gamestop have added a PS5 tab to their homepage this evening. Maybe prices coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

dan786 wrote: »
    Gamestop have added a PS5 tab to their homepage this evening. Maybe prices coming soon.

It's probably just a placeholder, I doubt GameStop have any idea when price will be announced. We probably won't get price reveals until July or August, all depends on who will announce first, Microsoft or Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm expecting to pay €800-€900 for the PS5, headphones and camera. Hopefully €800, but those figures are in my head, so if it's cheaper, that's an extra game on launch! Personally, I don't think that's much to spend on something which should last for 7 or so years. Again, I think both Sony and MS know that day 1 purchases for new consoles is not the done thing anymore, people are more cautious due to previous experiences. This would line up with their limited stock release, and I don't think there'll be an immediate shortage, but they will run out within a few weeks imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

It's probably just a placeholder, I doubt GameStop have any idea when price will be announced. We probably won't get price reveals until July or August, all depends on who will announce first, Microsoft or Sony

Yeah it's just a sign up page for when pre-orders are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

dan786 wrote: »

Was in the one in swords today, staff at door saying you can put a deposit down on the ps5 accessories like joy pad etc. now as I said I had a deposit on the ps5 down. Hopefully have a bundle console like ps4 when got 2 controllers and killzone and the camera etc. Think was guts of 600 i think, on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just on the pricing, I agree with a lot of others and think it'll be max €600. It really would be a misstep to be any higher. Regardless of the cost and parts used, there is an optics issue with people's perception of what a console should cost.

In fact, I nearly think they have to go under $500 for black Friday in America if they want to shift big numbers.

One other thing on the iPhone comparisons, we (the enthusiasts) are all buying consoles for ourselves and are ok with parting with our money but what percentage of sales are made by people buying it for kids. They're ok spending €1000 on something for themselves (iPhone) but not when they're getting nothing (console) out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

People are use to a new console been around about a certain price, I can see it launching for €550 which ill be fine with. €800 on launch is not going to happen, they would of had the €400 - €600 price range in mind all along as €800 would be a guarenteed online backlash from gamers and the media focusing on the word expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Amazon had a £599 price that was taken down

Play Asia had a $699 price that was taken down

Equivalent GPU is $350, SSD 825GB around $150, 4k Blu Ray drive $100 - Already $600 without RAM, board, case, PSU, CPU, controller. Safe to assume it will be at least $550/€550

You can bet they will be taking a bit of a hit on the price, doubt they will break even in the first year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

There was a leak a while back on the wall street journal (I think) that said the BOM was roughly $480.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,875 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd be very much someone who buys consoles day1. I'd also love a new phone each time my contract is up and I get the latest samsung each time, so I spend a fortune over time on my phone.

If the consoles come in over €500 I would struggle to justify buying one. Half the price of a phone, maybe, but I effectively pay the phone over 2 years, not a lump sum. A much easier justification.

At a high price, if they are close, I would say the Xbox would currently be the better value option due to GamePass, unless Sony do something there. Having a massive, free, catalog of current gen games available on Day 1 plus any Day 1 first part Xbox titles means needing to spend a lot less on titles to go with your new console.

When there was talk of PS5s being limited this year, my interpretation of the news/comments from Sonsy were that it was due to the price of the console. Both selling it at a price that people may not stretch to and selling at a price that they won't profit on - with costs reducing into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I wouldn't pay €100 for a phone but would easily shell out a grand for a console. I despise mobile phones though

Tbh I have always thought the console/phone comparisons to be utter nonsense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It's hard to look below a $700 release price for both consoles. I'm not sure wither company could sustain such a big HW loss if it's $500. Microsoft maybe in a better position to provide value with such an expensive console if they open up their Game Pass as this will provide people with a large number of games to play day 1, thus reducing the launch day costs somewhat. Especially if Game Pass gets a launch title added.

We might see games exclusive to this generation costing a lot more to recoup some of the HW loss.

With people looking to the past to predict the pricing, we may find that both companies will be using the fact that for the first time consoles will be the leading edge of gaming to enable them to set a new price for console gaming.

In a world of materialism and consumerism that has started to get out of control - especially in North America - there is a growing trend that more expensive = better and prettier = more powerful. For the vast majority of gamers, the impact of special SSD technology will go unnoticed set against something that has the appearance of better graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

A console has a minimum life span of 5 years without the next best thing coming a long unlike phones, I really don't think a 600 euro console is a large investment and there's no guarantee the price will even be that high

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

If ye can't afford €600 for a 5+ year console gaming investment then you need to manage your money a little better.

Most of us will be selling the PS4 anyway which will help cover a little bit of the costs.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    If ye can't afford €600 for a 5+ year console gaming investment then you need to manage your money a little better.

Most of us will be selling the PS4 anyway which will help cover a little bit of the costs.

But you aren't spreading the cost over that time frame.

Its the lump sum that people will look at. and 600 could be for very little. you could be looking at 700+ by the time you have anything to play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm expecting to pay €800-€900 for the PS5, headphones and camera. Hopefully €800, but those figures are in my head, so if it's cheaper, that's an extra game on launch! Personally, I don't think that's much to spend on something which should last for 7 or so years. Again, I think both Sony and MS know that day 1 purchases for new consoles is not the done thing anymore, people are more cautious due to previous experiences. This would line up with their limited stock release, and I don't think there'll be an immediate shortage, but they will run out within a few weeks imo.

Oh I wouldn't think it will go that high at all. I would imagine that they will try to keep it under the 600 Euro mark. That would be the sweet spot for them (And MS of course). Maybe 499.99 for the digital version and 549.99 for the one with the optical drive. I can see them taking a 100 - 150 hit per machine for the first year (As they did with the PS4).

Couple of interesting interviews on BBC website to MS and Sony. Pretty much asking the same things: Releasing console in current climate. Both pretty much said the same thing: Look, we realise a new console isn't as important to people as putting food on the table so we are planning accordingly.

I can see MS releasing their full fat one at 549.99 (No Optic)/599.99 (With Optical Drive) if the rumours of different specced versions are true (Lockhart v Anaconda).

I'd be most interested in the digital only version. I can't remember when I last bought a physical disc. But for me the big thing is compatibility. Fair play to MS, their backwards compatibility feature is a real selling point. I know it's only a relatively new feature (Nobody expected their SNES to play their NES games after all :) ) but I have a few games that I really don't want to lose when I go to PS5: TLOU2 - which will be playable on both, FF7 Remake? God of War? a few others that I've bought in the last year. I already have a PS4, Switch and Xbox under the tele. Don't want another (Although I'll probably ditch the xbox as I haven't turned it on in almost a year)

I can see MS releasing their full fat one at 549.99 (No Optic)/599.99 (With Optical Drive) if the rumours of different specced versions are true (Lockhart v Anaconda).

The Lockhart isn't just a disc-less series X, its supposed to be a streaming box, so it would be significantly cheaper than the Series X.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    The Lockhart isn't just a disc-less series X, its supposed to be a streaming box, so it would be significantly cheaper than the Series X.
    I can't work out how they price and position that vs Xbox One X, when they are strong on their first party games supporting both gens for the next couple of years. If the specs are much less than Series X then it will be difficult for third parties to support it with proper next gen titles.

Seems like a nothing console.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hyzepher wrote: »
    It's hard to look below a $700 release price for both consoles. I'm not sure wither company could sustain such a big HW loss if it's $500. Microsoft maybe in a better position to provide value with such an expensive console if they open up their Game Pass as this will provide people with a large number of games to play day 1, thus reducing the launch day costs somewhat. Especially if Game Pass gets a launch title added.

We might see games exclusive to this generation costing a lot more to recoup some of the HW loss.

With people looking to the past to predict the pricing, we may find that both companies will be using the fact that for the first time consoles will be the leading edge of gaming to enable them to set a new price for console gaming.

In a world of materialism and consumerism that has started to get out of control - especially in North America - there is a growing trend that more expensive = better and prettier = more powerful. For the vast majority of gamers, the impact of special SSD technology will go unnoticed set against something that has the appearance of better graphics.

All first party studios launch on Game Pass.

Microsoft could cover the loss on consoles indefinitely. The money they make from subscription services alone is ridiculous. Azure and Office were up massively in Q4 of 2019.

I expect to see a reduction in Microsoft console prices as more people get into GamePass. They even introduced a program in the US last year (maybe it was 2018 though) where you paid a monthly fee for your console and online services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

No one knows what it its at the moment in fairness.

My own theory, is that they'll phase out the exisiting 'S' and possibly repackage the current X as the lower tier model.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We’re in the midst of an unprecedented global recession, with huge amounts of people out of work temporarily or permanently. €600 for what is purely a luxury item is a big ask for a lot of people at the best of times, and much more so now.

Sony and Microsoft designed their boxes in a different environment, so they’ll likely be more expensive than if launch was a year or two away - nothing they can do about that at this stage. But €600 is a big ask for a lot of people regardless of circumstances, and every €100 you add or subtract from the price will have a big impact on the size of the audience.

No one knows what it its at the moment in fairness.

My own theory, is that they'll phase out the exisiting 'S' and possibly repackage the current X as the lower tier model.

Well I am just going by the rumours, which were accurate in every other respect. Considering MS's current push for cloud gaming, the lockhart being a streaming box is an extremely safe bet. If they were gonna do a disc-less XSX they probably would have just shown it already like sony did with the PS5.

I think they will keep the S as their entry base model, otherwise they wouldn't have made such a big deal about every game running on every XB1/XSX model. If anything I think the 1X will be phased out for the XSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm on the Wage Subsidy Scheme at the moment in work and I don't know what the potential blowback is in relation to a tax bill at the end of it all so €600 for a console that looks like it's going to have a piss poor selection of launch titles is not going to be a priority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The other thing to remember is game prices will go up again as they do at the start of every generation. Expect 80-70 euro to be the norm until the audience grows large enough to sustain deep discounts.

I'm on the Wage Subsidy Scheme at the moment in work and I don't know what the potential blowback is in relation to a tax bill at the end of it all so €600 for a console that looks like it's going to have a piss poor selection of launch titles is not going to be a priority.

Console launches have an always will be for early adopters. They are almost never 100% worth it day 1.

Tbf if it launches with Demon's Souls, R&C and Spider-Man, along with the usual selection of 3rd party, that would make it one of the better line ups in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Console launches have an always will be for early adopters. They are almost never 100% worth it day 1.

Tbf if it launches with Demon's Souls, R&C and Spider-Man, along with the usual selection of 3rd party, that would make it one of the better line ups in a while

Agreed, and unlike the PS4 and XB1, backwards compatibility comes as standard now, so you'll still have PS4 games to play on it that you might have been playing over Xmas anyway

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The other thing to remember is game prices will go up again as they do at the start of every generation. Expect 80-70 euro to be the norm until the audience grows large enough to sustain deep discounts.

I doubt it.

https://www.vg247.com/2014/11/12/ps4-xbox-one-digital-higher-prices/

Prices were about €60. Digital was higher, as it still is. Physical was in line with what we pay now, and paid before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement