Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I think there will be a redesign very quickly compared to previous generations.

Doubt it. They spent years developing that design and they won’t come out with a slim until the hardware can be shrunk sufficiently as to make it financially viable.

No point slimming it down if you can’t make it smaller or cheap enough to drive sales.

Around 3 years seems to be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I know i'm in the minority but I think it looks great!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I know i'm in the minority but I think it looks great!

Makes 2 of us. Horizontally it looks good. I wouldn't be mad on it vertically for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

whiterebel wrote: »
    Makes 2 of us. Horizontally it looks good. I wouldn't be mad on it vertically for some reason.
    If I get one on release, I'll have it horizontal. I don't like looking at the optical drive 'bulge' at the right side when vertical.

I think there will be a redesign very quickly compared to previous generations.

I hope its not changed too much. I loved the design of the original PS4. The pro looks very cheap in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

whiterebel wrote: »

I've never stood any console vertically, I've always had the heebie jeebies about it falling over more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've never stood any console vertically, I've always had the heebie jeebies about it falling over more easily.

360 was the only one I ever had vertically but it was between a wall and PC so it wouldn't have tipped far enough either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Had a PS3 phat vertical once when i had to move back in with my parents, years ago. stuck for space so it was on its edge. Fell about 4 feet one day and all i had to do was stick the HDMI cable back in. Rugged bastard of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

https://gamerant.com/ps5-price-500-dollars/
    Replying to a post on Twitter that cited last week's Amazon PlayStation 5 price leak (which has since been refuted), Penello claimed "I believe in the saying 'never say never.' But I gotta say never. No way this console is over $499." The quote itself is interesting, especially as Penello is a man very versed in the games' industry having worked for Sega, EA, and, of course, Xbox. Clearly, he understands the console market and knows that - to stay competitive - console prices will likely be lower than many are expecting. However, its Penello's series of follow up statements that definitely introduce an interesting discourse surrounding the importance of pricing when it comes to next-generation hardware.

This guy was involved in the launches of the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One so he'd know what he's talking about.

Unless he said it just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Don't see why. You will in all probability have a console for several years, many phones are significantly more expensive and are replaced more often. Sony could come out and price it at say 600 and people will go mad complaining it's too expensive etc, yet have no bother shelling out far more to apple every time an incrementally updated iphone comes out.

Different products have different price expectations, allot of the phones are paid as part of phone plans so it's not throwing down money upfront. Add in the likely recession and it's ps5 + game, I can see why people might not but it until a price drop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

https://gamerant.com/ps5-price-500-dollars/

This guy was involved in the launches of the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One so he'd know what he's talking about.

Unless he said it just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons...

Exactly

It's only the PC crowd getting robbed blind by Nvidia/AMD/Intel for years that think it will be €600/700 etc

BloodBath wrote: »
    If you think Sony are getting a 8/16 ryzen + a better than 5700xt grade card with 16GB of GDDR6 for €150-200 then you are delusional. The memory alone would cost in the region of €100 even with such a large order.

Including that GDDR6 system memory it's probably €200-250 max, it's still €150 for that cpu and gpu on that apu die, mad cheap

The bom put's the console at €450 ( much inferior 5700xt on it's own costs that )

https://www.memoryc.ie/31166-sapphire-pulse-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8gb-gddr6-graphics-card.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9YjCj5yJ6gIVB7LtCh3jjQigEAYYASABEgJG2_D_BwE

That €450 includes state of the art SSD drive, 4k bluray drive, psu and all other bit's

The former MS executive just confirmed those prices today

Console vs PC prices are bit like social vs private housing costs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ultimately, Sony know they have to be financially competitive, as do MS. Neither is going to want to be out with their pricing, so they'll both likely take a hit on the consoles and push for peripherals (hence why they showed not just the controller, but charging station, pulse headphones, media remote and HD camera) as well as subscriptions and digital downloads.

At least with the PS4 and XB1, the XB1 was more expensive due to the bundled Kinect. With PS5 and XBSX, if one is 100quid more expensive than the other just because they have a certain chip or ssd, most gamers aren't going to care as they'll both be on a fairly similar par in terms of graphics and performance (to the point where 100quid may not justify any differences).

I can't see it being more than €500, maybe as low as €400 for the digital version as they'll make far more on digital downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

£750 is $940

That's over 2x higher than the Bloomberg BoM estimate, and 2.5x higher than the PS4 BoM at launch. That huge discrepancy should be a red flag that you don't understand electronics manufacturing and procurement costs at scale.
    Mike3287 wrote: »
    Including that GDDR6 system memory it's probably €200-250 max, it's still €150 for that cpu and gpu on that apu die, mad cheap

The bom put's the console at €450 ( much inferior 5700xt on it's own costs that )

That €450 includes state of the art SSD drive, 4k bluray drive, psu and all other bit's

I've seen these "analysts" be wrong a lot of times. I may well be wrong as well but I think $450 is far too low.

We will see I guess. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game of ‘price announcement chicken’ unfolding between Sony and MS is, if nothing else, generating a livelier thread than if they’d just announced the damn price last week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

BloodBath wrote: »
    I've seen these "analysts" be wrong a lot of times. I may well be wrong as well but I think $450 is far too low.

We will see I guess. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

Do you have access to B2B pricing to be explain your confidence?

You seem to be basing things off of B2C pricing when these companies are signing up to near-decade long agreements for parts and have digital service strategies at play for now and for the lifetime of the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Who was AMD's main competitor when it came to source an APU for the new consoles?
    How competitive did AMD have to be with price to secure the deals with both Sony and MS?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Who was AMD's main competitor when it came to source an APU for the new consoles?
    How competitive did AMD have to be with price to secure the deals with both Sony and MS?

AMD are miles ahead of anyone else (especially intel) in the CPU game at the minute. I really doubt they had much competition.

AMD are miles ahead of anyone else (especially intel) in the CPU game at the minute. I really doubt they had much competition.

Nvidia and RTG would love to have them and i'm guessing Sony and MS could have went ARM for cpu, was supposedly seriously considered over jaguar in ps4/xb1

AMD needed them more than they needed them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

.........so who is buying one of each then? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Mike3287 wrote: »

https://www.memoryc.ie/31166-sapphire-pulse-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8gb-gddr6-graphics-card.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9YjCj5yJ6gIVB7LtCh3jjQigEAYYASABEgJG2_D_BwE

You calling us peasants?

Render of the dimensions

Render of the dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Render of the dimensions

That's even bigger than I realized.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp, the disk actually makes it look better when it's horizontal. I'd love to know the dimensions. My pro fits under my tv with a half inch to spare, would like to swap it straight out but if it's got better ventilation standing, then I'll find another spot for it.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's even bigger than I realized.

I'd say that's just a bad render. The one from Reddit a few pages back is better. Seems to be the largest console so far, but not by much. Sony obviously want it to stand out a bit!

I'd say that's just a bad render. The one from Reddit a few pages back is better. Seems to be the largest console so far, but not by much. Sony obviously want it to stand out a bit!

I dunno the disk size looks correct

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

tJoUor5.jpg

'Leaked' screenshot from Amazon France with a €499 price for disc version and release date of November 20th. Take with grain of salt as listing is no longer showing, but gives me hope at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

bigslick wrote: »

'Leaked' screenshot from Amazon France with a €499 price for disc version and release date of November 20th. Take with grain of salt as listing is no longer showing, but gives me hope at least

Take it with a grain of salt cause those types of listings are also very easily edited to say whatever you want via HTML. I never put any stock in to "leaked" retail listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

bigslick wrote: »

I'd give it the same credit as me posting one up on Adverts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RedXIV wrote: »
    .........so who is buying one of each then? :P

Me, I've decided I'm going digital, however OH likes physical media.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement