Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Homelander wrote: »
    Ah, okay. So all the millions of fans who love the story, lore and multiplayer are just wrong or don't know any better, as are the reviewers.

I also thought the Halo games were average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Not really, the architecture is quite a bit more efficient

It is but will still take alot more juice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So now it seems Cyberpunk 2077 is delayed AGAIN and due to be released around the time of the rumored PS5 launch. Coincidence? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So now it seems Cyberpunk 2077 is delayed AGAIN and due to be released around the time of the rumored PS5 launch. Coincidence? :pac:

And a damn good one. I reckon the PS5 launch games will be good, and this will drive sales, if Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima, maybe TLOU2, soon followed by AC Valhalla and others.

Re: Halo, didn't like the fact that it took 2 mags to kill an enemy and the response was always 'You're supposed to go for headshots'. K. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The PSU for the Series X is 300W but it won't be drawing that. The launch PS3 had a 380W PSU and only drew 190W, and while I'm not sure which PS3 slim is which they had PSU between 250 and 190W and one of them drew only 85W. The PS4 was 150W max and a 250W PSU. The One X and Pro were 160-180W.

The PS5 likely won't have an external power supply, and if when we see some rear IO and it's got the 2 prong figure 8 cable then it's under 250W. Wouldn't say either console is going to be too far from the Pro and the One X and that's the launch models they'll get more power efficient from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I never understood how Sony could fit the power supply into the consoles and MS couldn't. Was it the same on the XBone?

PS5 has essentially constant power consumption (during gaming) so they will spec the PSU fairly bang-on to what they need, without the oodles of headroom that previous consoles had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think halo was the first console game with very advanced online multiplayer modes. Eg it was designed to show off xbox live . Eg lots of maps with death match, team deathmatch etc and different modes for multiplayer, I thinks it's now out matched in popularity by Cod and battle royale games like fortnite.
    I think it was the no 1 console Fps game until
    Modern warfare 4 was released
    I think Microsoft are very clever, it seems there, ll
    be 2 xbox models, a low cost model with just 1080p and also more high spec model with 4k output I think we have more info on new ps5 games right now eg ratchet and clank
    Spiderman , horizon Dawn West etc
    than what new games which will be out for the new Xbox going by previous consoles the cheapest console tends to win.
    The ps4 was cheaper then the xbox 1 ,
    The xbox 1 was more expensive with a pointless
    Kinect device bundled in
    I think Microsoft will not make any stupid mistakes this time as they did with the previous
    Console they price will be reasonable even if
    they have to make a loss on each console sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

riclad wrote: »
    I think it was the no 1 console Fps game until
    Modern warfare 4 was released
    I think Microsoft are very clever, it seems there, ll
    be 2 xbox models, a low cost model with just 1080p and also more high spec model with 4k output I think we have more info on new ps5 games right now eg ratchet and clank
    Spiderman , horizon Dawn West etc
    than what new games which will be out for the new Xbox going by previous consoles the cheapest console tends to win.
    The ps4 was cheaper then the xbox 1 ,
    The xbox 1 was more expensive with a pointless
    Kinect device bundled in
    I think Microsoft will not make any stupid mistakes this time as they did with the previous
    Console they price will be reasonable even if
    they have to make a loss on each console sale

Best sentence ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I really hope Demon Souls is a launch title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Best sentence ever.

Thanks for quoting it in its entirety, so I could see it again.

I thought it was a poem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Some good news from CD Projekt - https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/06/20200618_1900-cd-projekt.mp3 -

At the 11 minute mark. Cyberpunk 2077 is confirmed to get a free PS5 upgrade as well as a patch for the PS4 version to make it run better on PS5.

I know this could have been expected, but it just wasn't confirmed before now regarding the free PS5 upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I really hope Demon Souls is a launch title

I genuinely believe it is. From day 1 the rumours said that Bluepoint were doing a Demon's Souls remake and that it was a PS5 launch title. The fact that it didn't have a date makes me even more sure. If it wasn't coming this year it would have been given a 2021 date.

I think they are saving the launch lineup announcement for when they announcing the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Thanks for quoting it in its entirety, so I could see it again.

I thought it was a poem...

I think it's ten haikus bundled together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was just coming on here to say that. That's their big launch title so. Wonder will it come with a bundle?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say a reason they wouldn't be keen on letting people get the free PS5 version of games they have on PS4 apart from just wanting more money is the price difference.
    Like some are expecting PS5 games to be more expensive so naturally you could just pick up the PS4 version.
    Or if they released God of War or, as we see, GTAV, they can be picked up really cheap so why would anyone pay full price?

I'd say it will be limited to new and recent games. Like when Black Flag released on old and new gen at the same time. Not for games released too far apart. Cyberpunk above is an example

Was just coming on here to say that. That's their big launch title so. Wonder will it come with a bundle?

Definitely not, Xbox has the marketing rights

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

riclad wrote: »
    ..... I think Microsoft are very clever, it seems there, ll
    be 2 xbox models, a low cost model with just 1080p and also more high spec model with 4k output ....

I actually think this is a bad idea, personally. Well, it depends on how they sell them. Let's assume that the rumours are true: That there will be a dedicated streaming device running at 1080 and also the full on 4K XBOX Series X (Seriously, MS? Got enough X there? Anyway).

If they marketed the streaming device as XBOX-One-On-A-Stick and Series X as the true Next Gen device then they could SERIOUSLY be on a winner: Market it aggressively as a subscription service: (Play all the games you own anywhere you want for 49.99 a year. Faster, Better, Stronger. Yadda yadda yadda). Then you have the Series X: All the function of the XBOX-One-On-A-Stick PLUS full Next Gen.

They are options that would appeal to many people.

However if they market them both as next gen then I think they will be in trouble. You now have two devices, one of which is hobbled because all games that run on it must also be able to run on a lower-specced machine. This is not simply a case of running at 4K or 1K. Games would have to be designed to run on both, assets would have to be designed for both. Stuff that they wanted to do with all the additional oomf available on Series X may not be doable on a streaming device,

You also have the potential confusion. I mean they do themselves no favours. XBOX, XBOX 360, XBOX 1, XBOX 1 X, XBOX Series X, XBOX ????? (If it is a current Gen streaming device?: EX XBOX 1 X S?)

Not at launch of the PS5 anyway.

By the sounds of their investor call, the proper PS5/XSX versions won't be out until 2021 and that the PS4/Xbox One versions will receive a patch to run better on next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I actually think this is a bad idea, personally. Well, it depends on how they sell them. Let's assume that the rumours are true: That there will be a dedicated streaming device running at 1080 and also the full on 4K XBOX Series X (Seriously, MS? Got enough X there? Anyway).

If they marketed the streaming device as XBOX-One-On-A-Stick and Series X as the true Next Gen device then they could SERIOUSLY be on a winner: Market it aggressively as a subscription service: (Play all the games you own anywhere you want for 49.99 a year. Faster, Better, Stronger. Yadda yadda yadda). Then you have the Series X: All the function of the XBOX-One-On-A-Stick PLUS full Next Gen.

They are options that would appeal to many people.

However if they market them both as next gen then I think they will be in trouble. You now have two devices, one of which is hobbled because all games that run on it must also be able to run on a lower-specced machine. This is not simply a case of running at 4K or 1K. Games would have to be designed to run on both, assets would have to be designed for both. Stuff that they wanted to do with all the additional oomf available on Series X may not be doable on a streaming device,

You also have the potential confusion. I mean they do themselves no favours. XBOX, XBOX 360, XBOX 1, XBOX 1 X, XBOX Series X, XBOX ????? (If it is a current Gen streaming device?: EX XBOX 1 X S?)

You're forgetting about X Cloud. That's what will be powering the rumoured streaming box not the box itself.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You're forgetting about X Cloud. That's what will be powering the rumoured streaming box not the box itself.

X Cloud will be updated next year to use Series X consoles also, so the limiting factor for people from getting the same performance on an all streaming box is their internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Wing126 wrote: »
    Some good news from CD Projekt - https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/06/20200618_1900-cd-projekt.mp3 -

At the 11 minute mark. Cyberpunk 2077 is confirmed to get a free PS5 upgrade as well as a patch for the PS4 version to make it run better on PS5.

I know this could have been expected, but it just wasn't confirmed before now regarding the free PS5 upgrade.

Thats not a good thing, on xbox, you get an upgrade to the series X version of the game, not a emulated version of the previous gen version that simply runs better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thats not a good thing, on xbox, you get an upgrade to the series X version of the game, not a emulated version of the previous gen version that simply runs better.

You've left out a key piece of the sentence in the bit you bolded. Oddly. I don't understand why you have done that.

"free PS5 upgrade as well as..."

So there is a PS5 version as well. I can't see why there would be an Xbox One version, and and XSX version while there would only be a PS4 version and an updated PS4 version. XSX and PS5 versions will be the same, essentially, imo.

As CDPR haven't confirmed anything, my guess would be:

Xbox One and PS4 versions, a patch to improve loads, frame rates, resolutions on XSX and PS5, and then a version with higher textures, ray-tracing and some other things to take advantage of the XSX and PS5 consoles.

Sorry I should have included, they go into more details later in the call.

A "more robust" version will be released for next gen consoles in 2021. At the 35 minute mark.
    same, essentially, imo.

As CDPR haven't confirmed anything, my guess would be:

Xbox One and PS4 versions, a patch to improve loads, frame rates, resolutions on XSX and PS5, and then a version with higher textures, ray-tracing and some other things to take advantage of the XSX and PS5 consoles.

They have confirmed it actually, the audio file I linked to is their investor call. While they haven't said it to the public, they have confirmed it to their investors. My bad for not including that section in my original post!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wing126 wrote: »
    Sorry I should have included, they go into more details later in the call.

A "more robust" version will be released for next gen consoles in 2021. At the 35 minute mark.

They have confirmed it actually, the audio file I linked to is their investor call. While they haven't said it to the public, they have confirmed it to their investors. My bad for not including that section in my original post!
    https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-free-next-gen-update-ps5-xbox-series-x?sf124251422=1
    "At some point we’re going to have a more robust update for the for the next-gens, which we’re planning to give free of charge to anybody who purchases the PS4 or Xbox One version, but in any case you will be able to play the game on the next-gens from the 19th of November when the game releases, and it will look better than on the next-gens from that moment," Kicinski explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

Any thoughts on the level of internet connection required for ps5 disc version?

Been managing with 4G mobile broadband for console updates / just solo campaign gaming. Dont need / want to get wired broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You've left out a key piece of the sentence in the bit you bolded. Oddly. I don't understand why you have done that.

Apologies - I'm in work, and oddly enough they frown on the idea of me perusing message boards for hours on end, so in my haste to reply, I didnt read the OP correctly. but to be fair, the whole comment about a ps5 version and ps4 version running on ps5 is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

but to be fair, the whole comment about a ps5 version and ps4 version running on ps5 is confusing.

I'd be willing to bet that whatever option is available on the Xbox will also be available on PS5 for multiplatform games. MS might have put a name and branding on the way these upgrades will happen on Xbox as "Smart Delivery", but the same option will almost definitely be offered on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, why would you play the PS4 version on the PS5 when you have the PS5 version there as well? Maybe for someone who started playing on the PS4, got a PS5 and wanted to continue their saved game?
    Ah, never mind, I forgot it's releasing later on next gen so can play the PS4 version until then

• Advertisement

This is essentially what I am expecting too. My guess is that the PS4 Pro and X1X versions are currently running on variable framerates and resolutions. The PS5/XSX versions will likely just run at the max allowed framerate, the loading times will also be better. That's more than enough for me until the true next-gen versions release.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement