Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet that whatever option is available on the Xbox will also be available on PS5 for multiplatform games. MS might have put a name and branding on the way these upgrades will happen on Xbox as "Smart Delivery", but the same option will almost definitely be offered on PS5.

****ing weird thing is Sony even have their own name/branding for it, they've had it for years just no saying it for some reason.

Cross platform play preexisted their promotion, but it 8 years since they pushed their Cross play/save/buy for the vita and those are the normal vernacular now. No one ****ing around with Transfarring anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

johng906 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the level of internet connection required for ps5 disc version?

Been managing with 4G mobile broadband for console updates / just solo campaign gaming. Dont need / want to get wired broadband.

Be grand with 5g soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Be grand with 5g soon enough

Are rural areas expected to get full 5g coverage soon? A 5g signal won't travel as far as 4g so neens far more masts to cover the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nobody knows for PS5, developers have said that because of the SSD the game files don't need to be so big to begin with because there's no need for a double copy.

They've also mentioned that you can selectively remove parts of games if the game developers have enabled the tech. Don't want multiplayer? Boom - delete it and still have the single player installed.

I have my doubts about that. Some of the 3d models epic used in their demo to show that off were crazy high poly. Sure it's 1 model instead of multiples but such a detailed model is still a pretty big file.

The majority of game file sizes these days are textures anyway. Not models.
    I actually think this is a bad idea, personally. Well, it depends on how they sell them. Let's assume that the rumours are true: That there will be a dedicated streaming device running at 1080 and also the full on 4K XBOX Series X (Seriously, MS? Got enough X there? Anyway).

If they marketed the streaming device as XBOX-One-On-A-Stick and Series X as the true Next Gen device then they could SERIOUSLY be on a winner: Market it aggressively as a subscription service: (Play all the games you own anywhere you want for 49.99 a year. Faster, Better, Stronger. Yadda yadda yadda). Then you have the Series X: All the function of the XBOX-One-On-A-Stick PLUS full Next Gen.

They are options that would appeal to many people.

However if they market them both as next gen then I think they will be in trouble. You now have two devices, one of which is hobbled because all games that run on it must also be able to run on a lower-specced machine. This is not simply a case of running at 4K or 1K. Games would have to be designed to run on both, assets would have to be designed for both. Stuff that they wanted to do with all the additional oomf available on Series X may not be doable on a streaming device,

You also have the potential confusion. I mean they do themselves no favours. XBOX, XBOX 360, XBOX 1, XBOX 1 X, XBOX Series X, XBOX ????? (If it is a current Gen streaming device?: EX XBOX 1 X S?)

The naming convention is terrible for sure. I don't see any trouble with what you're saying though. Xbox games will also be on PC. Most games and game engines have graphics options that can easily be toggled including resolution. These are enabled in PC but are still there in console versions. Very easy for devs to toggle some of these settings to optimize it for the weaker/stronger platform.

That's why the same PC games run on a wide variety of systems except the user changes the settings to suit.

We've also got things like adaptive resolution, target framerates and variable rate shading to paper over any cracks.

Do we know the specs for the weaker system? Unless it's completely hobbled in terms of cpu core count I don't see it being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

My local GameStop has 120 preorders for ps5 already, I don’t think each store is going to get nearly that many, how many PS4’s did each store get at luanch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    My local GameStop has 120 preorders for ps5 already, I don’t think each store is going to get nearly that many, how many PS4’s did each store get at luanch?

I would be more surprised if Gamestop was still around in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Gamestop will be around at Christmas but not in many places. More stores closing in coming months. They will only be keeping their busy stores open. After Christmas they are likely to close all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"but in any case you will be able to play the game on the next-gens from the 19th of November when the game releases"

So confirmation that both consoles will be out before November 19th then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Are Smyths taking pre orders yet?

Didn't know GameStop where!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

GameStop have a sheet with things you can preorder, 50€ deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    GameStop have a sheet with things you can preorder, 50€ deposit

Yep, Gamestop are taking preorders for both versions of the console and the official accessories. €50 for the console, €5 deposit on any of the accessories.

I'll be in on payday to give a deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xenji wrote: »

I've a preorder on Cyberpunk and the only thing stopping me replacing it with Ghost of Tsushima is that I don't want to go on public transport to change it.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I've a preorder on Cyberpunk and the only thing stopping me replacing it with Ghost of Tsushima is that I don't want to go on public transport to change it.

Give them a ring, they might/should change it over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Not giving GameStop any money up front I'll go into Smyths next day I'm in work talk to them about it see what there saying.

One fellas I work with used to work in Smyths as well so I'll say it to him see if he knows anything.

GameStop will be last resort for me don't like or trust them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Are Smyths taking pre orders yet?

Wondering the same thing. Do you know if Smyths let you pay off in installments?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

104474367_10214048999698296_2771258344620034171_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=QhUfUmNrpQsAX_ytAcJ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=6663829016b36d515d836ba2185ce87f&oe=5F148E4B

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Xenji wrote: »

Same that’s why I’m not putting a preorder with GameStop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Wing126 wrote: »
    Wondering the same thing. Do you know if Smyths let you pay off in installments?

I can't imagine they would, their console pre-order system is the same as their game. You give them the card details when you pre-order, they take the money the evening before release then you go collect it that day.
    Same that’s why I’m not putting a preorder with GameStop

Same, I would normally pre-order consoles with Gamestop but I wouldn't be shocked if I woke up one morning and saw they went under. Also that 50 quid downpayment looks dodgy/desperate AF to me, with the Switch and PS4 Pro it was only 5 quid to pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

"but in any case you will be able to play the game on the next-gens from the 19th of November when the game releases"

So confirmation that both consoles will be out before November 19th then?

I'd be surprised if they weren't. Surely they'll be releasing in October/early November.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they weren't. Surely they'll be releasing in October/early November.

PS4 release was 2 weeks before thanksgiving (15th) in the US and the day after thanksgiving on blackfriday for the rest of the world. Xbox was the week before Thanksgiving.

I think MS and Sony won't want to be the same week, and if they're both out before 19th then it'd be 6/13th for them. Other thought is MS will try to rush out much earlier into maybe October.

I can't see either of them releasing before November, considering the rumours that supply will be low I would say every week counts.

Some combination of the 6th, 13th and 20th will be the release dates for both IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

have read over 'some' of the thread :D
    Lots of info and speculation.
    Disclosure (that's what they say isn't it?) We have both Xbox and PS4 in the house.

I would imagine, with the 2 versions of the PS5 that MS will do the same (I believe there is already a disc less Xbox).

The real questions are, in my mind, price (from my point of view), games (from my kids point of view) and overall strategy.

On Price - I'm going to assume they will be similarly priced, if anything MS will undercut Sony to gain share.
    On Games - there are, realistically, only a few exclusives on each machine that are 'must haves' - in general cross platform games are very similar (having seen the same games on both consoles here at home).
    On Strategy - Sony are building a games machine. MS are too, but, and here is where the gamble / payoff is for them, Xbox Live is much better I have been told by both my kids.
    MS are looking to get subscription revenue. Look at Office 365, that is a massive cash cow for them. They took the hit of no one off purchase to gain a regular revenue stream. I think they must be seriously thinking of offering the disc less Xbox at a really cut price, maybe 199. They have the cash to do that remember. They are in it for the long term.

Be interesting as a business case study to be honest.

I just wish they would all agree to cross platform play!

Markitron wrote: »
    I can't see either of them releasing before November, considering the rumours that supply will be low I would say every week counts.

Some combination of the 6th, 13th and 20th will be the release dates for both IMO

MS did do that stage release last time, where it was after Christmas for some place to get it. Sony have just 2 release dates for US/Canada and then the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I cant rememeber where I read it, but MS have also said, that it'll be a worldwide launch, not staggered like the Xbox one was. (which funnily enough, I think had to do with getting the poxy kinect to work with various languages worldwide).

Varik wrote: »
    MS did do that stage release last time, where it was after Christmas for some place to get it. Sony have just 2 release dates for US/Canada and then the rest of the world.

Yea I was strictly speaking about the Irish release, but as was mentioned above it was confirmed they are doing a WW release this time. They will both be out here
    by the 3rd week of November IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Off the phone with Smyths there and they think preorders will be happening next week.

So I clarified a bit and asked does pricing need to be announced before they can happen and they said price and date.

They expect more information to be revealed next week and they hope its for pricing and release.

Don’t see that happening until August around when Gamescom would be tbh.

Off the phone with Smyths there and they think preorders will be happening next week.

So I clarified a bit and asked does pricing need to be announced before they can happen and they said price and date.

They expect more information to be revealed next week and they hope its for pricing and release.

Don’t see that happening until August around when Gamescom would be tbh.

August would be a lot later than normal, but these are not normal times. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long for these details. MS may force their hand soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

have read over 'some' of the thread :D
    Lots of info and speculation.
    Disclosure (that's what they say isn't it?) We have both Xbox and PS4 in the house.

I would imagine, with the 2 versions of the PS5 that MS will do the same (I believe there is already a disc less Xbox).

The real questions are, in my mind, price (from my point of view), games (from my kids point of view) and overall strategy.

On Price - I'm going to assume they will be similarly priced, if anything MS will undercut Sony to gain share.
    On Games - there are, realistically, only a few exclusives on each machine that are 'must haves' - in general cross platform games are very similar (having seen the same games on both consoles here at home).
    On Strategy - Sony are building a games machine. MS are too, but, and here is where the gamble / payoff is for them, Xbox Live is much better I have been told by both my kids.
    MS are looking to get subscription revenue. Look at Office 365, that is a massive cash cow for them. They took the hit of no one off purchase to gain a regular revenue stream. I think they must be seriously thinking of offering the disc less Xbox at a really cut price, maybe 199. They have the cash to do that remember. They are in it for the long term.

Be interesting as a business case study to be honest.

I just wish they would all agree to cross platform play!

I'm not saying they won't build a great / successful console. But people have been making variations of the "Microsoft have loads of money and they're thinking long term so they can sell at a loss and dominate the market" claim for the last three generations and that has never borne out to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Will the ps5 be VR ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement