Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Will the ps5 be VR ?

It has already been confirmed that the current PSVR will be compatible, it is the safest of safe bets that there will be a new headset at some point in the future. I think it is likely to launch around the same time as RE8. Even the current headset should get a performance/visual bump with the extra power of the PS5.
    quokula wrote: »
    I'm not saying they won't build a great / successful console. But people have been making variations of the "Microsoft have loads of money and they're thinking long term so they can sell at a loss and dominate the market" claim for the last three generations and that has never borne out to be the case.

He might be right, but not because they are selling a disc-less version at a loss. The lockhart won't have the same hardware as the XSX as it is gonna be a streaming box with much cheaper components. They are gonna have to get the streaming working well first, which is a big if.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Does anyone reckon with both Ps5 and xsx we will see alot of faulty units? The pressure must be seriously on in the factories to meet the deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    GameStop have a sheet with things you can preorder, 50€ deposit

That's exactly how Smyths did it with the Ps4, think it was €100 deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Cienciano wrote: »

At the time I preordered at Smyths and it was at most €20. Fairly certain it was €10.

Cienciano wrote: »

There is no way this is accurate. I think it was either €5 or €10 in Gamestop for a PS4 preorder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Digital foundry had a video up on the PS5.

Something I never considered is that the PS5 could do away with the breakoutbox for the existing PlayStation VR, so one less thing to have and if you'd a first gen version of the box you don't lose HDR anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Reckon Cyberpunk 2077 will be a launch title at this stage with how long that's been delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

At the time I preordered at Smyths and it was at most €20. Fairly certain it was €10.

You might be right, as far as I remember it was €20 but you could pay off more if you wanted. I ended up selling mine and got it a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's probably because they'll be limited, they don't want people willy nilly pre-ordering and cancelling at the last minute. While not much, those type of people would be less likely to lose a €50 deposit than a €20 deposit (if it's non-refundable, I dunno). I'm paid Thursday and I'm in 2 minds about who to pre-order with. Do Smyths take in trades for consoles still?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

They expect people to preorder and there's
    still no price.
    Jeez I wouldn't but then again I'm happy with the
    PS4 at the moment.
    It could cost anything from 400-600.
    If money's no issue I suppose.
    I just think preordering now is giving Sony
    the wrong message.
    It's like saying "I don't care how much it costs
    I'm buying it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

quinnd6 wrote: »
    It's like saying "I don't care how much it costs
    I'm buying it".

That is exactly what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Not sure if I should buy a Day one console or wait for a nice special edition :) Ill probaby have an Xbox day one to keep me entertained with next gen gaming.. :)

quinnd6 wrote: »
    They expect people to preorder and there's
    still no price.

No they don't, pre-orders are not officially open, this is just Gamestop trying to siphon money out of people.
    It's probably because they'll be limited, they don't want people willy nilly pre-ordering and cancelling at the last minute.

Why would Gamestop care about this? In that scenario they would just keep the deposit and sell the console to the next person on the pre-order list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

It's €50 lads..relax.

I'll also be preordering in Smyths when they're open for orders. I wonder how many of us who pre-order early enough will be left waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Markitron wrote: »
    No they don't, pre-orders are not officially open, this is just Gamestop trying to siphon money out of people.

Why would Gamestop care about this? In that scenario they would just keep the deposit and sell the console to the next person on the pre-order list.

This is exactly all that this is,adding in that GS arent stable financially in the slightest, its reckless business behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It's €50 lads..relax.

I'll also be preordering in Smyths when they're open for orders. I wonder how many of us who pre-order early enough will be left waiting

Have never pre-ordered with Smyths before. Does it guarantee yours if you pre-order early enough or is it whoever pre-orders and stock goes to whoever shows up to collect first?

Penn wrote: »
    Have never pre-ordered with Smyths before. Does it guarantee yours if you pre-order early enough or is it whoever pre-orders and stock goes to whoever shows up to collect first?

I don't think anyone can guarantee the exact stock they will get months before release. I would imagine they would close the pre-orders when they exceed an unrealistic amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

If you weren't worried about receiving it exactly on launch day, where would be the best place to pre-order online? Have any of ye done this before?

Markitron wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can guarantee the exact stock they will get months before release. I would imagine they would close the pre-orders when they exceed an unrealistic amount.

I guess I was just wondering how far out from release would you know how likely you'd be to get one even with a pre-order, would you have to queue out early to get one that morning (or midnight release), or would you have time to make other arrangements (Argos or similar which probably don't do pre-orders but would still be getting some stock in).

Like if you were one of the first 20 pre-orders in a particular Smyths and they get 20 in, are they reserved for the first 20 pre-orders or do they go to the first 20 who show up to collect the consoles regardless of when they pre-ordered.

We're probably far too out from release to know at this stage anyway, just wondering what have Smyths done for similar in previous cases. Last console I bought at release was in Xtra-Vision (and f*ck them for what they tried to do at the time with forcing people to buy extra games/controllers or they'd put them to the back of the queue).

They hold it for a while but they do go by the queue and for those who've are doing click and collect online.

Trying Argos is next to pointless, whiles there's no preorders their staff will have bought them themselves before the doors open.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    They hold it for a while but they do go by the queue and for those who've are doing click and collect online.

Trying Argos is next to pointless, whiles there's no preorders their staff will have bought them themselves before the doors open.

Yeah I imagine I'll be queuing outside anyway for a few hours before (or at least in the car until I see other people start queuing). Want to make sure I get one and ruin some kid's Xmas (given what's happened this year, I need a new console more than him!)

Good point about Argos too actually. I'd say some of the staff could even make out like bandits buying a few themselves and selling them on.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    If you weren't worried about receiving it exactly on launch day, where would be the best place to pre-order online? Have any of ye done this before?

Probably gonna be amazon
    Penn wrote: »
    I guess I was just wondering how far out from release would you know how likely you'd be to get one even with a pre-order, would you have to queue out early to get one that morning (or midnight release), or would you have time to make other arrangements (Argos or similar which probably don't do pre-orders but would still be getting some stock in).

Like if you were one of the first 20 pre-orders in a particular Smyths and they get 20 in, are they reserved for the first 20 pre-orders or do they go to the first 20 who show up to collect the consoles regardless of when they pre-ordered.

We're probably far too out from release to know at this stage anyway, just wondering what have Smyths done for similar in previous cases. Last console I bought at release was in Xtra-Vision (and f*ck them for what they tried to do at the time with forcing people to buy extra games/controllers or they'd put them to the back of the queue).

With Gamestop they call you a few weeks beforehand to confirm your order and ask you what version you want and what games etc. You already know if you have one way before release day. Smyths actually charge you the day before so you would also know if you had one there too. Basically if you pre-order early you are almost guaranteed one with no queuing on release day.

Would say buying online off Smyths would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

can you not buy directly from sony? MS have an online shop and you can get consoles direct from them. Surely the most reliable option.

can you not buy directly from sony? MS have an online shop and you can get consoles direct from them. Surely the most reliable option.

Not for Ireland, Sony have a online store elsewhere.

Would say buying online off Smyths would be best.

Agreed, that is where I am pre-ordering.
    Not for Ireland, Sony have a online store elsewhere.

They take ages to deliver here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Gonna Trade my Xbox One X in for a series X with Gamestop when launch happens as the trade up deals are always great. I have done it with my old Fat console to the One S for €69 then upgraded that to an X always save a bomb doing it.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Gonna Trade my X in for a series X with Gamestop. I have done it with the S as well, always save a bomb doing it.

I normally pre order consoles with them, but it is in no way certain that they will still be around come November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Gonna Trade my Xbox One X in for a series X with Gamestop when launch happens as the trade up deals are always great. I have done it with the S as well, always save a bomb doing it.

Do they usually give much for them in the end if doing that come nearer the time or do you trade in now and just put it against the new console now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Do they usually give much for them in the end if doing that come nearer the time or do you trade in now and just put it against the new console now?

Less demand for the current gen along with many people trading in can only hurt the value.
    So it mainly depends on if you are ok with not having a console for a few months.
    I'll probably sell the ps4 pro soon for €250 to CEX.

Gamestop don't offer good prices on trade ins.
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Get-Paid-To-Trade

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement