Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Those trade in prices are a joke! €180 credit for a PS4 Pro? Cex give €285! Classic Gamestop.

It's actually surprising they haven't collapsed sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Homelander wrote: »
    Those trade in prices are a joke! €180 credit for a PS4 Pro? Cex give €285! Classic Gamestop.

It's actually surprising they haven't collapsed sooner.
    Ha here is hoping not I don't want to lose my deposit on my PS5 pre order in GameStop. I say they should be ok only that ps5 and Xbox releasing new console this year after this year God knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Less demand for the current gen along with many people trading in can only hurt the value.
    So it mainly depends on if you are ok with not having a console for a few months.
    I'll probably sell the ps4 pro soon for €250 to CEX.

Gamestop don't offer good prices on trade ins.
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Get-Paid-To-Trade
    260 for my Xbox. I think I couldn't last 5 months without it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I imagine I'll be queuing outside anyway for a few hours before (or at least in the car until I see other people start queuing).

It looks like the PS5 might be the first console thats worth a pre-order but queuing up for one seems a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Markitron wrote: »
    I normally pre order consoles with them, but it is in no way certain that they will still be around come November.

Possibly, but if you preorder and put a deposit down with a card, your money is safe.

Just really down to if they'll physically be around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm gonna chance them, have always got the consoles from them, and the local lads are dead sound, don't think it'll close either as they're always busy so should be ok. After seeing the above prices however, I won't be trading in with them, unless being a Level 3 member gives an extra trade in (it usually does) and it evens out then with CEX, but I'd also imagine CEX will drop their prices closer to the PS5 release date.

Yeah, so if you trade in on the PS5 preorder, you get 25% extra, so that 180 would be €225. Still less than CEX though. I would go with CEX but they don't sell new consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Where is all this doubt about Gamestop being around in November coming from? Have they been closing stores? I know Gamestop in the US have been having trouble, but I don't recall seeing anything about Gamestop Ireland being in trouble.

I ask as someone who doesn't plan on buying my PS5 from them so kinda hypocritical of me :o:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Wing126 wrote: »
    Where is all this doubt about Gamestop being around in November coming from? Have they been closing stores? I know Gamestop in the US have been having trouble, but I don't recall seeing anything about Gamestop Ireland being in trouble.

I ask as someone who doesn't plan on buying my PS5 from them so kinda hypocritical of me :o:rolleyes:

Don't care if they are staying/going out of business, even if they wanted the steam off my piss as currency I wouldn't pre-order from them. They'll probably still offer you disc protection insurance on a discloses console :pac:. Smyth's on the other hand, have been very good for game selection, prices and availability over the last 10-15 years, I'd rather give them the money tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Wing126 wrote: »

The closed a few stores a few weeks ago.

But to be fair, I've been hearing "GameStop are on the way out" for at least 5 years at this point. I'll hang on with them till November for my preorder

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The reason I like GameStop over Smyths are the staff. Now, don't get me wrong, anywhere can have bad staff, but the GameStops I've shopped in had actual gamers as staff, and they weren't the basement type. Really helpful, knowledgeable, not pushy. I had to understand that they had to offer x and y because that's literally their job, even though they know I would say no. Whereas about 70% of the time in Smyths, the person in the gaming area is rotated and just knows how to scan and sell. GameStop feels more personal to me, whereas Smyths it's just another section.

Yeah, GameStop can be more expensive, they kinda have to be as gaming is the main revenue, unlike Smyths where it's probably only a small portion of their revenue (thus the paltry selection and area they have in the store). I could spend up to 20 minutes browsing in GameStop, and about 3 in Smyths. Each to their own and all that. Plus I was addicted to buying POP for a while, and GameStop had the best selection. But I've also got crazy deals from GameStop, like a €300 Turtlebeach headset for €2 once I traded in a few things and got a bonus with the Level 3 card. And I still think GameStop feels the "cleanest" out of the 3 main ones (Smyths, CEX).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I prefer to just get in, get pre-order and get back to arguing on the internet :pac:.

Especially in these times (ugh I sound like a tv ad for some utility company)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

RedXIV wrote: »
    The closed a few stores a few weeks ago.

But to be fair, I've been hearing "GameStop are on the way out" for at least 5 years at this point. I'll hang on with them till November for my preorder

Ah I definitely missed the news of the store closures then, I can see why there's some doubt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Trade-in deal for a new console would be much better than just trading it in on its own. I traded a fat xbox for a new one S for €69 with fifa and a jersey. They were swapping old switches for new ones for next to nothing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

I will probably preorder with both and see who has the best trade in deal leading up to launch of the series x and ps5, then just cancel with one and take the hit, shelling out 500 for a console il forget the small amount i put down non refundable or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Have never pre-ordered with Smyths before. Does it guarantee yours if you pre-order early enough or is it whoever pre-orders and stock goes to whoever shows up to collect first?

I got my PS4 day one from smyths. They had a numbering system, but they never ran out so everyone got one on day one

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Greyfox wrote: »
    It looks like the PS5 might be the first console thats worth a pre-order but queuing up for one seems a bit mad.

Depends on how robust the pre-order is and the likelihood of getting one without queuing. But if I feel it's needed, getting up a bit earlier and sitting in the car or standing outside for a while (listening to music/podcast) to be sure I get one doesn't bother me.

I'd rather get the console at launch than either scramble for one even closer to Christmas or wait until after Christmas.

padair wrote: »
    I got my PS4 day one from smyths. They had a numbering system, but they never ran out so everyone got one on day one

Seems reasonable enough. They'll probably have more stock than previous times anyway since the likes of Xtra-Vision & HMV are no longer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Seems reasonable enough. They'll probably have more stock than previous times anyway since the likes of Xtra-Vision & HMV are no longer around.

Supply is apparently going to be quite low, the fact that there will be 2 models complicates this even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I think having 2 models will be more reason for preordering. Otherwise they could get their stock as half and half, meaning you could end up either taking the one you don't want or none at all.

And to add to the earlier post, my local Gamestop closed. The only one in Donegal. Anyone remember how Game was for trade in deals? May keep an eye on them in Derry.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah I think having 2 models will be more reason for preordering. Otherwise they could get their stock as half and half, meaning you could end up either taking the one you don't want or none at all.

And to add to the earlier post, my local Gamestop closed. The only one in Donegal. Anyone remember how Game was for trade in deals? May keep an eye on them in Derry.

Game in Ireland and Game in the UK were essentially separate entities IIRC. I can't imagine any of these types of places would be any use though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Supply is apparently going to be quite low, the fact that there will be 2 models complicates this even more.

Cynical me reckons there will be surprising availability of the disc free model.

Cynical me reckons there will be surprising availability of the disc free model.

Yea I am hoping that isn't gonna be the case. It may be like the (US) PS3 launch where they technically had 2 models but the cheaper one was just there for optics and realistically everyone bought the more expensive model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm just throwing my PS4 Pro up on adverts just before the release. It will surely get me more than any possible trade in?

Most of my purchases in the last few years have been digital anyway, and if it comes with more storage than the disk model I'd be tempted to opt for it. Could still keep my PS4 on the shelf for playing blurays.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm just throwing my PS4 Pro up on adverts just before the release. It will surely get me more than any possible trade in?

I dont know what their prices are like now, but during lockdown CEX were paying out mad money for consoles. I got 245 for my boxed Slim, which was great seeing as I'd only paid 199 for it originally. Would have gotten more for store credit, but I've found that having too much of that is useless as they don't sell new stuff, and I'd never buy that many disc games.

I dont know what their prices are like now, but during lockdown CEX were paying out mad money for consoles. I got 245 for my boxed Slim, which was great seeing as I'd only paid 199 for it originally. Would have gotten more for store credit, but I've found that having too much of that is useless as they don't sell new stuff, and I'd never buy that many disc games.

I assume you used their online service? I sold my XB1X to them last week (was only keeping it for cyberpunk but that's a next gen game now) and got 240 in credit, so it has def gone down.

I assume you used their online service? I sold my XB1X to them last week (was only keeping it for cyberpunk but that's a next gen game now) and got 240 in credit, so it has def gone down.

yup online, cost a tenner to post it to them and once they received it I had the funds into my bank account very quickly.

yup online, cost a tenner to post it to them and once they received it I had the funds into my bank account very quickly.

Last year I ordered two UHDs from them online. The first one arrived and it was just a standard blu ray, not the UHD. The second one arrived and it was the UHD case with 2 standard blu rays inside. I don't think I would ever trust their online service after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Id be surprised if there are any crazy trade in deals if supply is low and demand is high.

I’ve traded my PS4 pro into CEX, prices have gone down a bit but still hoping to get 256 in cash, not bad, just hope the PS5 is whisper quiet compared to the jet engine in the Pro! (Going to use my switch lite for next few months for any gaming)

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Id be surprised if there are any crazy trade in deals if supply is low and demand is high.

I’ve traded my PS4 pro into CEX, prices have gone down a bit but still hoping to get 256 in cash, not bad, just hope the PS5 is whisper quiet compared to the jet engine in the Pro! (Going to use my switch lite for next few months for any gaming)

Its gigantic and completely covered in vents, it should be alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement