Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Id be surprised if there are any crazy trade in deals if supply is low and demand is high.

I’ve traded my PS4 pro into CEX, prices have gone down a bit but still hoping to get 256 in cash, not bad, just hope the PS5 is whisper quiet compared to the jet engine in the Pro! (Going to use my switch lite for next few months for any gaming)

stop playing TLOU2 , the ps4 pro sounds like its going for orbital launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

stop playing TLOU2 , the ps4 pro sounds like its going for orbital launch.

Mine is actually fairly quiet compared to other games I've played lately. Only time it's gotten a bit loud has been if I've left the game paused for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Penn wrote: »
    Mine is actually fairly quiet compared to other games I've played lately. Only time it's gotten a bit loud has been if I've left the game paused for a few minutes.

Yeah, it suppose it might depends. I know a lot of people had complaints regarding GOW ps4 and mine was fine. Defo need an upgrade though after rebuilding the database a few times now. A call of duty update seems to have banjaxed it the last time.

Yeah, it suppose it might depends. I know a lot of people had complaints regarding GOW ps4 and mine was fine. Defo need an upgrade though after rebuilding the database a few times now. A call of duty update seems to have banjaxed it the last time.

Yeah seems to be hit and miss. Seems one of the causes is uncapped framerates in menus and cutscenes or something that can drive it mad. The map in Horizon Zero Dawn was one of the earliest signs for me that there was a problem with it. Lately some sections of Sekiro, particularly transitioning in or out of cutscenes and the prosthetic upgrade menu made it go wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

My PS4 Pro makes a bit of noise during TLOU but it is nothing compared to bad it was for Horizon and GoW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Markitron wrote: »
    My PS4 Pro makes a bit of noise during TLOU but it is nothing compared to bad it was for Horizon and GoW

Mines the same it does rev up at times but not as bad as the other two games mentioned. Maybe i'm lucky but my pro is usually fairly quiet i remember going to the map on GOW would ignite the jet engines though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Mine has been mostly good on heavy load titles. For TLOU2, it's been better than I expected, I was anticipating fighter jet levels of noise. Mine is a 500 million Limited Edition model.
    Back on the PS5 Topic, I have a deposit down in GameStop(I do think they'll still be there, when the release date arrives). I'll also probably try a online Pre-Order,
    whenever they go live.

bazzz wrote: »
    Mine has been mostly good on heavy load titles. For TLOU2, it's been better than I expected, I was anticipating fighter jet levels of noise. Mine is a 500 million Limited Edition model.
    Back on the PS5 Topic, I have a deposit down in GameStop(I do think they'll still be there, when the release date arrives). I'll also probably try a online Pre-Order,
    whenever they go live.

Yeah the more I think about Gamestop, the more I think they'll keep most stores open until after Xmas, as that'll be their big market, especially with two consoles due for release. Keep the lights on until after Xmas, then they'll probably start closing more stores or just cash out at that stage and close up/go online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wasn't there a later revision of the pro that was much quieter?

I got the tail end of the loud model im pretty sure with the fortnite deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mine is an early pro and its not loud at all.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Wasn't there a later revision of the pro that was much quieter?

I got the tail end of the loud model im pretty sure with the fortnite deal

Yea there was a newer model about 18 months to 2 years ago IIRC

Edit: Link to the Digital Foundry review of the newer model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAr9kP-Xq8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

gimli2112 wrote: »

It's just an estimate, most of it is likely to be more or less accurate but I wouldn't put any faith in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I can't see the difference in the disc and digital edition being €100, €50 at the max, blu-ray drives are cheap as a bag of chips.

I can't see the difference in the disc and digital edition being €100, €50 at the max, blu-ray drives are cheap as a bag of chips.

Digital foundry estimated that the discless version will save them $20 on the cost at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Digital foundry estimated that the discless version will save them $20 on the cost at most.

yup, saving $20 at cost will not equate to 5x the cost off the end product for the customer. $50 is more likely imo of course.

yup, saving $20 at cost will not equate to 5x the cost off the end product for the customer. $50 is more likely imo of course.

I think there is an argument to be made that locking people into a digital machine will make them more money in the long run, but even then I can't see them taking an $80 hit. My guess is also $50 cheaper

I expect the all-digital model to be priced $100 below the standard model.

Just throwing numbers out for illustrative purposes: if we say the system without disc drive costs $440 to manufacture, and the ODD costs $20. They can sell the all-digital model for $399 ($40 loss) and the regular model for $499 ($40 profit).

With this strategy they get to hit the magic $399 price. The fact that one system is sold at a loss and the other at a profit helps to balance or minimize the overall loss on hardware units.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Digital one will be €50 cheaper. If they can get it down to €399 it will fly out the door.

Then they will bump the price of ps+ or bundle ps now in with it to create a steady stream of dependable income.

I expect the all-digital model to be priced $100 below the standard model.

Just throwing numbers out for illustrative purposes: if we say the system without disc drive costs $440 to manufacture, and the ODD costs $20. They can sell the all-digital model for $399 ($40 loss) and the regular model for $499 ($40 profit).

With this strategy they get to hit the magic $399 price. The fact that one system is sold at a loss and the other at a profit helps to balance or minimize the overall loss on hardware units.

The machine apparently costs $480 to manufacture. They aren't making a profit on any version of the hardware for a couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

The machine apparently costs $480 to manufacture. They aren't making a profit on any version of the hardware for a couple of years

The 'sale at a loss' has always been misleading. All major manufacturers do not base their end products value at the cost of the component parts or assembly, not to mention that information on individual part costs or sales agreements would be available to only the highest financial people within the company.

Listed costs are almost always the net cost (assigned value of the end product) movement of the product to the next link in the chain. The assumption being that if Sony were to lose a product run due to a manufacturing fault, they would list the loss as the per dollar cost at which they would have moved to wholesaler, etc.

The value to Sony of each console may in fact be $480. Expect the actual cost of parts, assembly and packing to be a fraction of that.

PS3 took several years to break even. It should be noted there had been multiple price cuts by the time of this interview so they had long since achieved break-even on the original launch price.

https://bit-tech.net/news/gaming/playstation/sony-ps3-is-breaking-even/1/

PS4 was break-even more or less at launch; certainly within a few months.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/5/23/5744344/ps4-already-profitable-for-sony-ceo-says

I would expect PS5 to pitch its tent much closer to PS4 than PS3. They may be willing to take a small loss per console at launch but nothing crazy. Their intention will be to break-even reasonably quickly.

PS3 was an extraordinary once-off in terms of loss per unit at launch, and it skewed some peoples perception of what is the norm. I doubt we ever see a repeat of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think it's pointless buying a console with no disc drive, you can't swap games, or buy games from a shop like gamestop. You are just limited to buying games from Sony online.
    And you save maybe 50 euro by buying the digital console
    You,ll have a console for 5 years. I always like buying old games in a shop for 20 euro and we need to support local shops too. Not everyone in rural areas can download a 100 gig game since
    they may not have fast broadband in the area.
    I'll trade in old games or even give them to a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

riclad wrote: »
    I think it's pointless buying a console with no disc drive, you can't swap games, or buy games from a shop like gamestop. You are just limited to buying games from Sony online.
    And you save maybe 50 euro by buying the digital console
    You,ll have a console for 5 years. I always like buying old games in a shop for 20 euro and we need to support local shops too. Not everyone in rural areas can download a 100 gig game since
    they may not have fast broadband in the area.
    I'll trade in old games or even give them to a friend.

Depends on the person really. I have about 3 physical games on my ps4 so I'm happy enough to go digital. I do hope they keep the option of both on future consoles though. Digital doesn't work for everyone for the reasons you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah I'd say it will be a €50 difference too which will make it a bit pointless. I buy 85% of my games digitally as generally the playstation store sales are cheaper than retail but it would be silly to give up on the physical option for just €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

riclad wrote: »

Despite the extra expense of not being able to sell the game and because of the improvement in internet speed more and more people are buying digital.

I would think it's mostly a convenience thing, click buy, make a cup of tea, sit down and play. Lots of impulse buying also.

I usually buy my games second hand so even with fairly new releases it works out very cheap. Buy for €55, trade in for €40 credit add €15 and I have a new game.
    But the temptation to just click on the game store and have the game in 10 minutes is real and obviously very appealing for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My nearest Game stop is an hours drive away. So I'd have the game downloaded before I'd get to the shop and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The money I'll make back in the next 5 years selling old games on adverts.ie will dwarf the €50 saved on a non disc machine. That's not even factoring in the pathetic prices of new release games versus the various physical outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

if you have a good friend and your happy to do it then going digital is a no brainer, I do it on both my ps4 and my xbox with the same person, your getting all new games for around 25 ( if you shop around of course). you can also absolutely clean up on sales.

Sony/ MS dont mind as they are not losing out to the bricks and mortar shops like cex etc. due to gameshare i have in total one disc game for my ps4 and a total of none for my xbox ( gameshare and gamepass)

if both continue this model on the new consoles it will actually make it possible to have both sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

recyclops wrote: »
    if you have a good friend and your happy to do it then going digital is a no brainer, I do it on both my ps4 and my xbox with the same person, your getting all new games for around 25 ( if you shop around of course). you can also absolutely clean up on sales.

Sony/ MS dont mind as they are not losing out to the bricks and mortar shops like cex etc. due to gameshare i have in total one disc game for my ps4 and a total of none for my xbox ( gameshare and gamepass)

if both continue this model on the new consoles it will actually make it possible to have both sooner rather than later.

Game sharing, been interested in it. Does it mean that two ppl couldn't play the game at the same time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement