Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Markitron wrote: »
    They have. They haven't confirmed it for every game though. They said the vast majority will work but there might be the odd game that doesn't.

I'd be fairly confident there will be older and/or obscure titles that don't run properly, but any game of note will be fine.

Ah they have must have missed that, Ideal so, thats that dilemma solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Ah they have must have missed that, Ideal so, thats that dilemma solved.

They have also confirmed the PSVR is compatible, that's why I have kept mine. If a game is patched for it, it could potentially look better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

They said the top 100 will be compatible at launch but are working on eventually 4000+ PS4 games to be tested and playable on PS5.

I’d say it’s save to say the PS5 is backwards compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Batesy wrote: »
    They said the top 100 will be compatible at launch but are working on eventually 4000+ PS4 games to be tested and playable on PS5.

I’d say it’s save to say the PS5 is backwards compatible.

The key word there being tested - the hardware is fundamentally backwards compatible so they likely will already be playable at launch but Sony don't want to guarantee until confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They have also confirmed the PSVR is compatible, that's why I have kept mine. If a game is patched for it, it could potentially look better as well.

Yip. My only query is that there seems to be a lack of light at the back of the new controller, or have I just missed it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yip. My only query is that there seems to be a lack of light at the back of the new controller, or have I just missed it?

The light kind of pisses me off tbh, especially when you're playing a game that is set in a lot of darkness, like Resident Evil 2, and all you have a triangle of light reflected back at you from the TV screen.

The light kind of pisses me off tbh, especially when you're playing a game that is set in a lot of darkness, like Resident Evil 2, and all you have a triangle of light reflected back at you from the TV screen.

Can't you turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Can't you turn it off?

Do you know, I never even thought to check...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think you can turn it off, but you can definitely dim it. Have to say I never notice mine at all.

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think you can turn it off, but you can definitely dim it. Have to say I never notice mine at all.

Same, I suppose it also depends on your set up and how reflective the screen is too. I think I have mine dimmed though

There's no light but I think you can still see the rim at the top of the touchpad which is probably enough?

• Advertisement

There's no light but I think you can still see the rim at the top of the touchpad which is probably enough?

I doubt it, that seems way too small and out of place for the purpose.

I doubt it, that seems way too small and out of place for the purpose.

I'm guessing here but maybe its enough with the newer 1080p camera? The last one was only 720p

I'm guessing here but maybe its enough with the newer 1080p camera? The last one was only 720p

I think they're both on the same setting regardless. They're both either on or off (or dimmed), as not everyone will have the controllers with the lightbar showing on the touchpad, and I think that's only there because most people weren't able to see the different colours of the lightbar (which can also be used as a health indicator in games etc) when holding the controller.

Maybe, but why would they make things needlessly difficult for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Maybe, but why would they make things needlessly difficult for themselves.

Well IIRC, Dualshock 4 will work on PS5, and the Move light controllers will also work with PSVR, so anybody who will still be using PSVR on PS5, could use any existing peripherals they already have.

If Sony are developing a PSVR 2, I think they'll end up redesigning it all together so that it works better.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Anyone been able to Pre Order NBA 2k21 Mamba Edition anywhere other than the 2k site?

Wing126 wrote: »
    Well IIRC, Dualshock 4 will work on PS5, and the Move light controllers will also work with PSVR, so anybody who will still be using PSVR on PS5, could use any existing peripherals they already have.

If Sony are developing a PSVR 2, I think they'll end up redesigning it all together so that it works better.

Yea, they will undoubtedly go with a controller system similar to the Oculus. I just really hope its wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

BSK wrote: »
    Anyone been able to Pre Order NBA 2k21 Mamba Edition anywhere other than the 2k site?

It's on the PSN store

https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP1001-CUSA20171_00-NBA2K21DIGLEGEND

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the XBox event on July 23rd, what are the chances of Sony releasing more details around then?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the XBox event on July 23rd, what are the chances of Sony releasing more details around then?

Read a rumour this morning that Sony have kept some 1st and 3rd party reveals for an August State of Play, so I imagine some new console details might be tied in with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

If Microsoft announce the release date and price of the console, Sony will definitely follow up with their release date and prices soon after. Both companies are waiting on the other to announce a price

There are fairly strong rumours that Sony will announce a price and/or date next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

There are fairly strong rumours that Sony will announce a price and/or date next week.

Haven't seen anything saying next week. Only rumours I've seen personally, are saying Sony's next event will be in August - https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/1280150508322410496

Any links for the ones you're seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will depend, if Sony can fire back quickly with a price that under cuts you'll see it before august. Much like their "How do you share games on PS4" theatrics. If not they'll wait until their next event and market the "sell" a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Regarding the backward compatibility with the PS4 . Will that include my PS4 account . I've alot of games digitally downloaded

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Regarding the backward compatibility with the PS4 . Will that include my PS4 account . I've alot of games digitally downloaded

Yeah, you'll almost certainly be able to redownload them on PS5, as they're tied to your account rather than the console.

I don't think it's fully confirmed yet, as they still need to provide more details (rumoured for the August State of Play), but they'd be kicking their own teeth in if they didn't allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

So I’d imagine August is a games reveal, but what happened to the hardware tear down that was promised as ‘soon’ back in March?

I’d be smart for them to fill the gap between now and August with a tech-heavy tear down that wouldn’t lend itself well to a State of Play and would take some attention off Xbox’s event.

Price and release will probably come as a ‘one more thing’ at the end of their August State of Play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair to both Microsoft and Sony, I’m sure both had their promotional schedules completely torn up by the pandemic. March was a very, very different time.

I think it was Digital Foundry who mentioned they were expecting a PS5 hardware tour or whatever, but the inability to travel put an end to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

So I’d imagine August is a games reveal, but what happened to the hardware tear down that was promised as ‘soon’ back in March?

I’d be smart for them to fill the gap between now and August with a tech-heavy tear down that wouldn’t lend itself well to a State of Play and would take some attention off Xbox’s event.

Price and release will probably come as a ‘one more thing’ at the end of their August State of Play.

we did get a fairly good technical tear down presented my Mark Cerny a few months ago? Fairly spec heavy and not really for the average consumer but gave some interesting insights to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

RedXIV wrote: »
    we did get a fairly good technical tear down presented my Mark Cerny a few months ago? Fairly spec heavy and not really for the average consumer but gave some interesting insights to it

I meant like a hardware tear down like they’ve done in the past and what MS did a few months ago too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement