Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I meant like a hardware tear down like they’ve done in the past and what MS did a few months ago too.

They were hardly going to do that before revealing the box, which was only a few weeks ago. IIRC they did this with the PS4 only a month or so before launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I read on one site that the reason the light bar moved from the top of the DS4 to the front of the DS (did Sony hire someone from Microsoft to name things?) Is that the PSVR2 will have tracking in the headset so will be looking down at the controller. Early patents also show Index like motion controls for the new Moves (probably to be renamed).

Dropped my deposit yesterday at the local GameStop, €50 for the disc version of the console, €5 each for the headset and camera (but may be changing to €20 soon). In their store alone, they have just over 100 preorders but said unless there's a supply issue, they will have all them on launch. Disc version is more popular going by them. They were unsure about a midnight release but believe it will go ahead as that store (William St. Limerick) dont have to fork out for additional security for a midnight release because they're not in a shopping centre.

I'll lose my **** if they don't do a midnight release!!

I read on one site that the reason the light bar moved from the top of the DS4 to the front of the DS (did Sony hire someone from Microsoft to name things?) Is that the PSVR2 will have tracking in the headset so will be looking down at the controller. Early patents also show Index like motion controls for the new Moves (probably to be renamed).

Dropped my deposit yesterday at the local GameStop, €50 for the disc version of the console, €5 each for the headset and camera (but may be changing to €20 soon). In their store alone, they have just over 100 preorders but said unless there's a supply issue, they will have all them on launch. Disc version is more popular going by them. They were unsure about a midnight release but believe it will go ahead as that store (William St. Limerick) dont have to fork out for additional security for a midnight release because they're not in a shopping centre.

I'll lose my **** if they don't do a midnight release!!

I went to the midnight release of the PS4 on Henry St in Dublin. I will not be going to another. It was not a positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Markitron wrote: »
    They were hardly going to do that before revealing the box, which was only a few weeks ago. IIRC they did this with the PS4 only a month or so before launch.

Obviously, but it’s been revealed a month now, so this could be the time to do it before the next games event

I went to the midnight release of the PS4 on Henry St in Dublin. I will not be going to another. It was not a positive experience.

I haven't been to a midnight launch for anything in a while, can't remember the last one, but if its like the last time, I'll sit in my car until the queue is gone. If your preorder guarantees one, there's no need to queue imo. I work/live nights, so midnight is like 3pm to me.

• Advertisement

I haven't been to a midnight launch for anything in a while, can't remember the last one, but if its like the last time, I'll sit in my car until the queue is gone. If your preorder guarantees one, there's no need to queue imo. I work/live nights, so midnight is like 3pm to me.

The whole thing was a nightmare. The worst part is that they hired a band to play outside, right where the ****ing queue was, and they were playing full volume right next to us. Had a massive headache.

I went to the midnight launch in gamestop for the PS4. Not something I'm in a rush to do again. They took AGES to put each customers ps4 etc through the till even though they had everyone's orders all prepacked in bags ready to go. I'll probably go with Smyths this time around and hope they don't have a clusterf#ck like gamestop.

I went to the midnight launch in gamestop for the PS4. Not something I'm in a rush to do again. They took AGES to put each customers ps4 etc through the till even though they had everyone's orders all prepacked in bags ready to go. I'll probably go with Smyths this time around and hope they don't have a clusterf#ck like gamestop.

I'm going with Smyths and showing up at about 11am the next day, not doing midnight releases anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

The last midnight launch I went to was the first Black Ops. 2010? Played the game until 3am and had to get up for work at 9am.

Can't understand the logic now looking back on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

They took ages as the PS4s at launch had a packaging issue where the serial number was only printed on the inner white box. So they had to open each box get the serial and then sell it.

I worked at another retailer and we had to do the same.

Packaging was changed later where they had a small window in the outer sleeve showing the serial number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Think my only midnight launch was GTAV. Only thing I really remember from it was the video they had playing on repeat in the background with ads for new releases etc, which kept playing Sirens by Pearl Jam because their new album was out. It became one of my favourite songs.

Penn wrote: »
    Think my only midnight launch was GTAV. Only thing I really remember from it was the video they had playing on repeat in the background with ads for new releases etc, which kept playing Sirens by Pearl Jam because their new album was out. It became one of my favourite songs.

Lol, that's the same album featured in TLOU2

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lol, that's the same album featured in TLOU2

Yeah, the song Future Days is from that album. Actually, the GTAV release was only about a week before "Outbreak Day" in TLOU. Some people may never have gotten the chance to finish it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fun fact, Sirens would have released after Outbreak Day but Pearl Jam released a live video of Future Days a week before it and Joel learned to play from that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Fun fact, Sirens would have released after Outbreak Day but Pearl Jam released a live video of Future Days a week before it and Joel learned to play from that :)

There's a poster for Sirens in one of the stores you visit in Seattle at the beginning!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I did the midnight launch of the PS4 and XboxOne in Smyths. Was first in line both times. Needed to be a bit earlier for the PS4 one!

Think it was the PS4 one that the second person stood the other side of the entrance from me... and then everyone started to queue behind them. I was worried it was going to become a 'queue skipper' thing when I walked up when they opened.

I did the midnight launch of the PS4 and XboxOne in Smyths. Was first in line both times. Needed to be a bit earlier for the PS4 one!

Think it was the PS4 one that the second person stood the other side of the entrance from me... and then everyone started to queue behind them. I was worried it was going to become a 'queue skipper' thing when I walked up when they opened.

Would it really matter where you were in the queue if you had a pre-order?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would it really matter where you were in the queue if you had a pre-order?

It was midnight, I wanted to go home and set my console up - so that I could set it to download updates and patches....

It was midnight, I wanted to go home and set my console up - so that I could set it to download updates and patches....

Fair enough, I will be getting my PS5 in Smyths so hope it goes smoothly

https://twitter.com/ImperiumApps/status/1280152070197305344

I wonder how accurate this is... Cause that yolk is mahoosive :O

Edit:

Another view of it sideways - https://twitter.com/ImperiumApps/status/1280883071588470785

Doesn't look too bad sideways tbh.

• Advertisement

Wing126 wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad sideways tbh.

I still think it looks like it is overheating and the sides are curling in on themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

How long does it normally take for the first revision to come out on a console where they've ironed out the kinks from the launch model? About a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

How long does it normally take for the first revision to come out on a console where they've ironed out the kinks from the launch model? About a year?
    If you mean the PS4 slim and PS4 Pro, it is about three years since the first PS4 launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    If you mean the PS4 slim and PS4 Pro, it is about three years since the first PS4 launched.

No, there was a hardware revision inbetween the launch consoles and Slim/Pro - I think it was called the Ultimate Player Edition - that was a slight tweaking of the fist model and made slight improvements. I had one before I traded it in for the Pro.

No, there was a hardware revision inbetween the launch consoles and Slim/Pro - I think it was called the Ultimate Player Edition - that was a slight tweaking of the fist model and made slight improvements. I had one before I traded it in for the Pro.

Wasn't that just a 1TB hard drive vs the standard 500gb?

Wing126 wrote: »
    Wasn't that just a 1TB hard drive vs the standard 500gb?

Yea that wasn't a significant revision, IIRC there was a version that sucked slightly less power. PS3, PS4 and PSP took 3 years for their first revisions, I see no reason atm why PS5 would be any different.

From a quick Google, the first hardware revision was the CUH-1208B model, which replaced the touch eject for a button. Came bundled with TLOU and GoW 3 Remastered. This Wiki shows all the models, but most don't have dates unfortunately. Did the OG PS4 ever get rid of the 2-tone? I forgot I had that, what with having the Pro since launch-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

From a quick Google, the first hardware revision was the CUH-1208B model, which replaced the touch eject for a button. Came bundled with TLOU and GoW 3 Remastered. This Wiki shows all the models, but most don't have dates unfortunately. Did the OG PS4 ever get rid of the 2-tone? I forgot I had that, what with having the Pro since launch-ish.

They dropped the two tone finish before the Pro arrived.

Not sure where I’ll get the PS5. Got the 4 in that gaming Mecca of Brown Thomas. Zero hassle. Couldn’t be dealing with midnight openings even back then.

I haven't yet made my mind up about when to get the console myself. The technophile and Playstation fanboy in me says to get it at launch. The adult in me says to wait for a special edition console cause they will definitely have one, just no idea when hahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm the same. There's absolutely nothing being released at launch that makes me want to buy it but its new and shiny so I want it anyway :D. I bought every PS at launch until the PS4, held off on that until the following year when Argos started doing killer deals so picked one up then. Will hopefully do the same this time when there'll be something out worth buying it for!

I want all black too, white can feck off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement