Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

.G. wrote: »
    I'm the same. There's absolutely nothing being released at launch that makes me want to buy it

I'm gonna hold off on multiplat and cross-gen games until the PS5 launches, so the launch line-up for me is essentially:

Spiderman: Miles Morales
    Demon's Souls
    Cyberpunk
    Avengers
    Assassins Creed

Which makes it one of the best launch lineups ever

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For games that offer free PS5 version do ye think they'll still require the PS4 disc? Was just thinking you will or what's to stop 1 person giving multiple people PS5 versions.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    For games that offer free PS5 version do ye think they'll still require the PS4 disc? Was just thinking you will or what's to stop 1 person giving multiple people PS5 versions.

Yes, 100%. I imagine it will be the same thing as playing a PS4 pro enhanced disc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm gonna hold off on multiplat and cross-gen games until the PS5 launches, so the launch line-up for me is essentially:

Demon's Souls
    Cyberpunk
    Avengers
    Assassins Creed

Looks extremely weak to me considering everything there is available on other consoles/PC or a remake/remaster other than Spiderman, which should be good even if it's not for me.

Saying that we haven't had an exciting console launch line up since the PSP and the Gamecube/XBox in the case of home consoles. Even the switch which had Breath of the Wild wasn't an exclusive as it was on the WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yes, 100%. I imagine it will be the same thing as playing a PS4 pro enhanced disc

That's just playing a game with enhanced visuals but it's the same copy of the game. While this would be the PS5 copy of the game.
    I guess it could be like how 360 games work on the XBox One where you insert the game disc but it downloads the version that's playable on XBox One

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks extremely weak to me considering everything there is available on other consoles/PC or a remake/remaster other than Spiderman, which should be good even if it's not for me.

Its all relative, lineup is strong to me as I won't have played any of them before. The fact that people on other systems can play them too doesn't really matter to me
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    That's just playing a game with enhanced visuals but it's the same copy of the game. While this would be the PS5 copy of the game.
    I guess it could be like how 360 games work on the XBox One where you insert the game disc but it downloads the version that's playable on XBox One

The difference here is that PS5 can read and run PS4 discs, so having a PS4 disc copy of a game will be essentially the same as having a PS5 disc copy. it depends on the publisher though, we know EA are not going down this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Demon's Souls
    Cyberpunk
    Avengers
    Assassins Creed

Spiderman would be it for me. But I played the original so wouldn't be in a rush to get the update. I like Assassins creed and will buy Cyberpunk but I've a PC so I'll be playing them on that. No interest in the other two, probably on PC anyway if I had.

The last of us is pretty much the only reason I own a PS4 to be honest.

I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

.G. wrote: »

The last of us is pretty much the only reason I own a PS4 to be honest.

This is it really, everyone harps on about ps exclusives and how they are the key to a successful console.

Exclusives are good to have but to buy a console in anticipation for something to come out is silly as your paying full whack for something where as by the time the game you really want comes out it will be cheaper

none of the initial launch titles compel me to pick it up so il hold off until a few are out and then pick up console and games slightly cheaper

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've bought two consoles based on the promise of exclusives and it was a terrible mistake in both cases. The PS3 was one and I payed 500 dollars for a 60GB model. It was an awful console for ages and by the time it became a console worth having it was significantly cheaper.

Same with the PS4. Had one preordered at launch and swapped it for a WiiU as launch was awful. Didn't regret it. a Year later got one for Bloodborne, which I did like but the PS4 since has been an extremely poor console for someone with a gaming PC and not worth the price I paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

i waited until god of war came out as it was around the same time spiderman came out ( few months to finish god of war) think i got console and god of war for around 280

but by then i was able to snap up bloodborne, horizon, the last of us remaster and uncharted 4 for prob around 50 quid. All in all it was a worthwhile investment at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I wish they'd freshen up the Logo and Design a bit on the game packaging. Especially when they're after going all out with the design of the console itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wish they'd freshen up the Logo and Design a bit on the game packaging. Especially when they're after going all out with the design of the console itself.

Did you not see the white border at the top?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've bought two consoles based on the promise of exclusives and it was a terrible mistake in both cases. The PS3 was one and I payed 500 dollars for a 60GB model. It was an awful console for ages and by the time it became a console worth having it was significantly cheaper.

Same with the PS4. Had one preordered at launch and swapped it for a WiiU as launch was awful. Didn't regret it. a Year later got one for Bloodborne, which I did like but the PS4 since has been an extremely poor console for someone with a gaming PC and not worth the price I paid for it.

aww right we get it dur dur pc dur dur nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Zero-Cool wrote: »

1249530.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Dayjur wrote: »

Is that what he said? Did he claim the WiiU was a good purchase on launch?
    The reality is consoles are best value a very years after the launch date.
    The main reason to by on release day is hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Dayjur wrote: »

^ A troll with previous. Best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Is that what he said? Did he claim the WiiU was a good purchase on launch?
    The reality is consoles are best value a very years after the launch date.
    The main reason to by on release day is hype.

And a 2015 VW Golf is cheaper than a 2020 one. But that 2020 Golf will be cheaper if you buy it 5 years from now. This is hardly shocking news.

So sure, you can wait 3 years and save a couple of hundred quid if you really want to. But if you enjoy gaming as a hobby and you have the money (and gaming is cheaper than most hobbies) then there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying the console on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I always wait a year before I buy a new console,
    then there will be at least 5 new games I want to buy on release. I,d like to know will there be 2 versions of every game , if you have only a 1080p TV,
    There's no point in downloading gigabytes of 4k hdr
    files. I think there, ll be a non 4k Xbox console
    which will be cheaper and a 4k Xbox console
    with more memory.
    I think the ps4 was a big hit because it was a very good console and cheaper than the xbox1.
    Most Aaa games are released on both consoles,
    I don't really care about exclusives on consoles
    . There is no Dev making 8k games, 8k is just pr
    BS. 99 per cent of gamers have a 1080 or a 4k TV. When any new console comes out there is always a certain amount of hype just to generate interest in the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

In fairness to them if they did this you'd still have people moaning about it. mainly collectors that would have them all in a line on a bookshelf or otherwise.

They're damned it they do damned it they don't. They're probably very much thinking here that digital is where the main amount of sales will be in the future so best not spend too much time and effort on changing the packaging too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness to them if they did this you'd still have people moaning about it. mainly collectors that would have them all in a line on a bookshelf or otherwise.

They're damned it they do damned it they don't. They're probably very much thinking here that digital is where the main amount of sales will be in the future so best not spend too much time and effort on changing the packaging too much.

Agreed. Plus I think you run the risk of over-designing them. The name and logo is incredibly recognisable, and changing the borders of the publisher's cover art of the game itself means publishers have to take that into account when designing cover art as it has to work for all mulitplatform versions.

There's not a lot they can really do, or need to do. After a few months, people don't notice it anyway as their eyes just gloss over it having seen it so many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

This version of the logo is now in its third iteration - PS3, PS4 and now PS5 with a version used for the Vita as well. It's very safe and very bland at this stage. It would have been nice to see a little shakeup in that department with something that reflected the unique design of the console. It feels very much like an afterthought.

The PS2 and PSP line logos were lovely. What they use now is really dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

This version of the logo is now in its third iteration - PS3, PS4 and now PS5 with a version used for the Vita as well. It's very safe and very bland at this stage. It would have been nice to see a little shakeup in that department with something that reflected the unique design of the console. It feels very much like an afterthought.

The PS2 and PSP line logos were lovely. What they use now is really dull.

It’s all for branding reasons, it’s instantly recognisable as PlayStation.

I was never a huge fan of it but no more than them not getting rid of the blue because the brand is so strongly related to it, they won’t change that either. They’d have to build up the new logo and they probably don’t want to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Zero-Cool wrote: »

The cost savings on the ink!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Box art has been basically dead for years, save for the odd special edition and that is just the same or a steel case. Least of my worries.

Re: Launch, with the trouble I'm having with the fan noise on the 4, it definitely means I'll be getting launch anyway!

I have a PC for cross platform games.
    I want to get as much as I can for the PS4 so selling it asap is probably best.
    Can anyone thinks of some must have exclusives due for release between now and the end of November?

Edit: Of course "Ghost of Tsushima", that may be my last game for the ps4

quokula wrote: »
    And a 2015 VW Golf is cheaper than a 2020 one. But that 2020 Golf will be cheaper if you buy it 5 years from now. This is hardly shocking news.

So sure, you can wait 3 years and save a couple of hundred quid if you really want to. But if you enjoy gaming as a hobby and you have the money (and gaming is cheaper than most hobbies) then there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying the console on launch day.

But if you wait a few year you also get the better upgraded refresh of the console so that analogy doesn't really work. Also consoles are not the only way to experience gaming.
    If you have practically unlimited money then sure why not pick it up even if it has no launch games that interest you. But there are just some many options when it comes to spending money on gaming especially around Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Here's another official box art for Godfall. Just to keep
    everyone talking:)

20200711-111238.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

you would really wonder about the state of peoples lives when their complaining about a logo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I just want to hear a date and a price , that's the only details i need to hear now , the rest can come later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement