Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Dayjur wrote: »
    you would really wonder about the state of peoples lives when their complaining about a logo

I've worked in design for over two decades so it's an area of interest to me. What's the problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I've worked in design for over two decades so it's an area of interest to me. What's the problem with that?

It's best to keep your opnions to yourself on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

you would really wonder about the state of peoples lives when their complaining about a logo

*they’re

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

*they’re

You must frame that lad hang it over the fireplace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

You must frame that lad hang it over the fireplace

Ah no just thought if you’re being a knobhead I’ll do the same. Gas to see the other illiterate How Soon is Now thanking all your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ah no just thought if you’re being a knobhead I’ll do the same. Gas to see the other illiterate How Soon is Now thanking all your posts.

Haha talk about getting personal! I just taught it was funny that's why I liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Now, now boys and girls. It's just all fun and games console speculation.
    From my side of this thread, I'm just looking forward to hopefully getting the console on release. Like I've done with most consoles, since their existence;)

To be honest on the box and logo front, it doesn't bother me one bit. I'll take
    whatever comes. Hopefully it won't be long now before we see pricing(€450-€499-€550) and official pre-orders up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just seeing the talk of the logo made me take a quick look at my games here. For the PS3 era they changed from the Spider-man logo to the newer logo but then consistent through PS4

I've even seen people (not on this forum though) complain that the console is not all black :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I think what makes this different from any playstation launch previously is that its backwards compatibile,the launch library is going to be the PS4 library plus what ever games we get when and after the console launches.

So never before has the games available on launch mattered less. To me this is a good thing,it will help early adoption too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

EoinHef wrote: »
    I think what makes this different from any playstation launch previously is that its backwards compatibile,the launch library is going to be the PS4 library plus what ever games we get when and after the console launches.

So never before has the games available on launch mattered less. To me this is a good thing,it will help early adoption too.

PS2 and PS3 were backwards compatible at launch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PS2 and PS3 were backwards compatible at launch.

PS3 was only compatible with PS1 games, wasn't it? Was PS2 BC?

For me the reasons for getting at launch if it's backwards compatible are to get a good price for the non pro PS4 against it and the supposedly improved performance of PS4 games. I've a backlog of games I can play until the PS5 games I want come out. But will just wait for more details before booking anything

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

whiterebel wrote: »
    PS3 was only compatible with PS1 games, wasn't it? Was PS2 BC?

The 60GB model had the PS2 chip in it for full backwards compatibility with the previous gens.

It was removed to save costs a few years later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually only Japanese and US models had the chipset which was removed for Europe. We got software emulation of the PS2 which was subpar. It was to keep costs down yet charged Europeans more for the console...

All PS 2 backwards compatibility was removed for later editions of the console. Well from discs. Had no trouble selling them back on PSN. Software emulation was so riddled with issues kind of wouldn't have worked well with discs anyway, even the PS2 games on PSN mostly run like dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Am I the only that isn't bothered with backwards compatibility I mean it's a huge issue that comes up at every new gen launch

I dunno I'm buying a new generation of console to play a new generation of games, of course it'll be handy if you can keep all your digital stuff from ps4 but it's not the reason I'm upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Am I the only that isn't bothered with backwards compatibility I mean it's a huge issue that comes up at every new gen launch

I dunno I'm buying a new generation of console to play a new generation of games, of course it'll be handy if you can keep all your digital stuff from ps4 but it's not the reason I'm upgrading

I'm of a similar stance. It doesn't bother me at all, regarding backwards compatibility on the PS5.
    I'm looking forward to the new releases on the new technology.
    Ok I'll probably play a few of the PS4 enhanced for PS5 titles.

But the ps4 and ps5 both run on x86 architecture so backward compatibility should be relatively easy.
    Shouldn't it?

There seems to be big demand from people who want to buy the new console and trade in the PS4 but do not have any launch titles for the PS5 that interests them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm the opposite, every new console has a games drought at some point early on meaning you always need to go back to your backlog on your old console where with BC there's no need for your old console. I hope all future consoles are BC as for me it's what makes a console worth buying on launch rather than waiting 18 months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

JimBurnley wrote: »

Be VERY wary of the Express, a shameless click-bait, SEO manipulating site not worth the kb it takes to load the page. In this case they’re just mindlessly republishing a social media rumour from a more respectable source, but they’ll typically publish any old ****e to game the search engines. Type in ‘Ghosts of Tsushima review’ into Google if you want to see what I mean. Absolute rag - if they’re right this time by just copying someone else’s story, shouldn’t detract from their appalling editorial practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For me personally backwards compatibility will be a big thing as I have a fair few games I'm yet to finish or even start! I want to play them at some point and would rather carry them over to a more powerful machine at this stage.

Especially seeing as I have noticed in the last few months a few annoying issues with my pro on certain games where it will get very noisy and even sometimes there will be little glitches on-screen in the picture which cant be a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ubisoft announced that you can upgrade Watch Dogs Legion PS4 to PS5 for free but if you have PS4 disc you can only play the digital PS5 version if you have PS4 disc in drive

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1282400484284936192?s=19

Ubisoft announced that you can upgrade Watch Dogs Legion PS4 to PS5 for free but if you have PS4 disc you can only play the digital PS5 version if you have PS4 disc in drive

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1282400484284936192?s=19

That's the way I thought it would work. Otherwise you could just get the PS5 version then sell the PS4 disc or give it to someone else so they could download as well. Imagine how many people could get the game for free.

On that note, people are talking about the next gen game prices being higher, but with these free upgrades you could just get the PS4/Xbox One version for cheaper. Also means the games will hold their price longer.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That's the way I thought it would work. Otherwise you could just get the PS5 version then sell the PS4 disc or give it to someone else so they could download as well. Imagine how many people could get the game for free.

On that note, people are talking about the next gen game prices being higher, but with these free upgrades you could just get the PS4/Xbox One version for cheaper. Also means the games will hold their price longer.

Unless next year they up the prices as new games will probably just be for PS5 so no free upgrades from PS4

JimBurnley wrote: »

It seems as if there is more pressure for Sony to reveal a price than Microsoft and I don't know why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Unless next year they up the prices as new games will probably just be for PS5 so no free upgrades from PS4

They won't be giving upgrades away in PS4/Xbox games too far beyond next summer imo, they will feel people would have had enough time to pick up a new PS5/XBX by then.

ERG89 wrote: »
    They won't be giving upgrades away in PS4/Xbox games too far beyond next summer imo, they will feel people would have had enough time to pick up a new PS5/XBX by then.
    Exactly, I think they are doing this to encourage current gen players to move to next gen with no worries of having to buy games twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tweet is showing as unavailable now. But, if i'm not mistaken, you're not getting the next gen version for free, just the enhanced version? Or do they mean the actual next gen version?

• Advertisement

Tweet is showing as unavailable now. But, if i'm not mistaken, you're not getting the next gen version for free, just the enhanced version? Or do they mean the actual next gen version?
    If you buy Watch Dogs legion, AC Valhalla or Far Cry 6 on the PS4, you get a free upgrade to the PS5 version. If you have the PS4 physical version, you can only play the digital PS5 version by having disc in PS5
    Purchase Watch Dogs Legion on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.*

Upgrade to PlayStation®5 Version: Watch Dogs Legion PlayStation®4 game on Blu-ray Disc™ must be kept inserted in a PlayStation®5 console to play the corresponding Watch Dogs Legion PlayStation®5 digital version at no additional cost, when available.
    Requires a PlayStation®5, the game Blu-ray Disc™, a PlayStation® Network registration, additional storage & Broadband internet connection. May incur bandwidth usage fees.

Watch Dogs Legion leverages the Smart Delivery technology - buy the game once and play it on either Xbox One or Xbox Series X when both the console and that version of Watch Dogs Legion are available

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement