Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

This is the first time BC has been of interest to me. Mainly because of the backlog of stuff from PS Plus.

There's also few games in the last few years I didnt get a chance to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Backwards Compatibility to me is very important regardless how much use the Majority of gamers use it .
    Of course alot of us will upgrade to the newest generation of consoles to play the new games but having BC means you never have to deal with dry spells during the calender year in the summer nor the awful launch games that comes with every new generation.

BC also has the power to bring back beloved dormant franchises that have been forgotten about which can only be a good thing .

I by default have used Playstation has my primary console of choice since I was 7 years old, but this is the first time I might be choosing to get series x before I will get the ps5 just so I can play Ninja Gaiden Black and Panzar Dragoon Orta :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But the ps4 and ps5 both run on x86 architecture so backward compatibility should be relatively easy.
    Shouldn't it?

It should be relatively easy but will still require work on Sony's side. Also it's not like an open platform like PC so each game made backwards compatible will have to be tested for bugs and also if they can be used to breach the security of the Sony OS and firmware.

Still an awful lot of effort has to go into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BC is particularly important in the first year or so of a console's life. After that, less so but still very much a nice to have.

Let's face it, the first year of this gen was plagued with re-releases or collections because there was no BC at the time. At least now that the consoles will have BC from the start, any re-releases or enhanced editions will need to have something extra in them to warrant people buying them rather than the older version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

So who else is waiting for that 8.30pm rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

dan786 wrote: »
    So who else is waiting for that 8.30pm rumour?

Nope don't believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I saw people on Reddit taking the fact that Irish Gamestop has been taking pre-orders as confirmation that this event is happening. Not realising they've been taking them for months now.

Makes me wonder if it's only the Irish branch that are taking pre-orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Wing126 wrote: »
    I saw people on Reddit taking the fact that Irish Gamestop has been taking pre-orders as confirmation that this event is happening. Not realising they've been taking them for months now.

Makes me wonder if it's only the Irish branch that are taking pre-orders?

Saw that post too. Amazon Australia added preorder pages for the consoles and accessories this morning too which is making more people think the rumor is true. If it was to be today it would probably just be a blog post like the controller reveal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Saw that post too. Amazon Australia added preorder pages for the consoles and accessories this morning too which is making more people think the rumor is true. If it was to be today it would probably just be a blog post like the controller reveal

Have those pages not been up on Amazon UK, all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

bazzz wrote: »
    Have those pages not been up on Amazon UK, all along?

I could swear I had a look last week and they weren't there

Yea, I don't think they are gonna confirm price and a date in a state of play video. It's just gonna be put out on twitter with a PREORDER NOW attached to it.

Could happen anytime really, but they need to do it soon, I am getting impatient!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Markitron wrote: »
    I could swear I had a look last week and they weren't there

I'm almost sure they've been there for a while. I could be wrong though. They are there now anyway.

bazzz wrote: »
    I'm almost sure they've been there for a while. I could be wrong though. They are there now anyway.

I'm not sure either tbh, I was trying to add it to my wishlist recently and didn't manage to for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I can't remember seeing them on Amazon UK myself either (Although, I didn't really look tbh), but I definitely saw them on Amazon FR after the event.

Either way, I think we can all agree it doesn't mean anything regarding a reveal today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I don't think it shows up in the main search results if you simply just search for Playstation 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Most retailers have had the register your interest pages for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Where Amazon really shines is in allowing psychics to write reviews months in advance. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Where Amazon really shines is in allowing psychics to write reviews months in advance. Fair play.

Ha ha, just saw that too. 4 star ratings, that makes it a day one purchase for me now...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't plan on buying from amazon anyway. I don't buy much from them these days but 2 out of the last 3 items have been lost. Ordered Last of Us 2 off them at the end of June. Was due last Thursday and got the "wait until July 15th before reporting it" message. Last update was July 1st with dispatch on June 30th.
    The other item was a 1TB SSD and that was when I was on 3 month Prime offer.

So for something as expensive as this? Not happening.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I don't plan on buying from amazon anyway. I don't buy much from them these days but 2 out of the last 3 items have been lost. Ordered Last of Us 2 off them at the end of June. Was due last Thursday and got the "wait until July 15th before reporting it" message. Last update was July 1st with dispatch on June 30th.
    The other item was a 1TB SSD and that was when I was on 3 month Prime offer.

So for something as expensive as this? Not happening.

Yeah bricks and mortar is safer bet. Will probably go with Smyths or Gamestop myself

Guess the C19-related hit to production wasn't as bad as they predicted. Still gonna be extremely hard to get, wish they would hurry up and open up the pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mmm lovely feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's how you know it's genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Yeah Ill be heading to smyths but Im a bit concerened that Gamestop are taking preorders and Smyths havent budged on it yet apart from letting people register interest on Email. also my Daughter wants one too... will be hard pushed to get 2 on release Ide say.

I really dont want to go near Gamestop if I can help it...Crooks.

Parsnips wrote: »
    Yeah Ill be heading to smyths but Im a bit concerened that Gamestop are taking preorders and Smyths havent budged on it yet apart from letting people register interest on Email. also my Daughter wants one too... will be hard pushed to get 2 on release Ide say.

I really dont want to go near Gamestop if I can help it...Crooks.

Gamestop are the outliers here, not Smyths, pre-orders are not officially open so GS really shouldn't be taking them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Any word on Sony offering upgrades to next-gen versions of PS4 games (similar to what Microsoft are doing)?

Just finished Last of Us 2 and can't see myself replaying it on PS4 but would probably play an enhanced PS5 version again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement