Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/21326797/microsoft-xcloud-launch-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-free

Man, this is a great deal. I hope this pushes Sony to revitalise the PS+/PSNow subscriptions and offerings.

Any word on Sony offering upgrades to next-gen versions of PS4 games (similar to what Microsoft are doing)?

Just finished Last of Us 2 and can't see myself replaying it on PS4 but would probably play an enhanced PS5 version again.

No word on any first party devs doing upgrades yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Any word on Sony offering upgrades to next-gen versions of PS4 games (similar to what Microsoft are doing)?

Just finished Last of Us 2 and can't see myself replaying it on PS4 but would probably play an enhanced PS5 version again.

No, I expect they will leave any announcement like that until their next PS5 stream which is rumored to be August. If they are ok with Ubisoft, Square and CDPR giving free PS5 upgrades, I would be surprised if they didn't do the same.

Then again you never know, hopefully they read the room on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Almost every new or coming soon game has been announced as either playable on PS5 (which may see a performance upgrade on PS5 anyway) or a free upgrade to the actual PS5 version, same as Xbox. Xbox simply have a name for their upgrade scheme (Smart Delivery) but it's almost certain that if it's being done for Xbox it'll be done for PS5 too unless there's a specific exclusivity deal in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Penn wrote: »
    Almost every new or coming soon game has been announced as either playable on PS5 (which may see a performance upgrade on PS5 anyway) or a free upgrade to the actual PS5 version, same as Xbox. Xbox simply have a name for their upgrade scheme (Smart Delivery) but it's almost certain that if it's being done for Xbox it'll be done for PS5 too unless there's a specific exclusivity deal in place.

Yeah its up to the publisher and they can do what they want, they won't be getting forced to by Microsoft or Sony.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yeah its up to the publisher and they can do what they want, they won't be getting forced to by Microsoft or Sony.

Which basically equates to everyone being cool except, of course, EA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I'm sure getting an exclusive hands on, he'll be sure to point out any flaws in it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm sure getting an exclusive hands on, he'll be sure to point out any flaws in it.

Keighley is a hype merchant, he's basically freelance PR. I think he has mostly done good for the industry but he is not to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Exactly, so don't think much of interest will come from this, except maybe for the people who want to see what the bottom and back look like and if he'll check that the buttons light up with the colours

Exactly, so don't think much of interest will come from this, except maybe for the people who want to see what the bottom and back look like and if he'll check that the buttons light up with the colours

I think anyone expecting paddles on the back will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Of course not, just the important stuff like how it feels to hold the vibrating handles to your nipples.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »

I believe that the paddle attachment for the ps4 was a big success sales wise, I imagine Sony want to repeat that with the ps5 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,875 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I agree, and I don't understand it.

Why release an official paddle contraption for the PS4 pad this year, when it is not compatible with the PS5 controller (I assume anyway - different controller shapes and USB connections afaik).

I assumed they brought it out because the PS5 controller would have them as standard, and having the add-on for the PS4 pad would allow you to use the PS4 pad on PS5. With PSVR games needed some aspect of the PS4 pad (a reason for it then being forward compatible.)

But nope, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I really like the idea of the feedback coming from the trigger , was just thinking how cool it would be while i was using the bow in Ghosts of Tsushima

One more reason I look forward to buying this on launch, the ****ing Update files copying on ps4. Just got a 175mb update, ah grand, done in no time......Copying 2%...............................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    .....................................................................................................................3%

:mad:

One more reason I look forward to buying this on launch, the ****ing Update files copying on ps4. Just got a 175mb update, ah grand, done in no time......Copying 2%...............................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    .....................................................................................................................3%

:mad:

I went to play GoT on saturday morning and couldn't cos it said it was copying patch 1.04, which I had already installed the day before. Finally it finished copying and then it started to download the 8 gig patch all over again! And after that, it had to copy again. Pain in the hole.
    I really like the idea of the feedback coming from the trigger , was just thinking how cool it would be while i was using the bow in Ghosts of Tsushima
    I hope it is actually widely supported. I know its different tech but I remember MS making a big deal of the impulse triggers in the XB1 controller and barely remember any game actually using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I hope it is actually widely supported. I know its different tech but I remember MS making a big deal of the impulse triggers in the XB1 controller and barely remember any game actually using them.

Most exclusives will support it anyway.

Most exclusives will support it anyway.

Yea I would expect so, be nice if it really took off with the 3rd parties though. Hope it isn't just a repeat of the trackpad; a genuinely useful function that is barely used outside of 1st party.

In the interview on Friday, Playstation's head of marketing said they brought the Dualsense around to developers to show them what it could do. That sounds like a good sign to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

They also said that preorders won’t come out of the blue and they were totally surprised by the rumour they would drop last week.

Makes me think it’ll come at their August state of play.

They also said that preorders won’t come out of the blue and they were totally surprised by the rumour they would drop last week.

Makes me think it’ll come at their August state of play.

Someone should tell them GameStop Ireland have been taking pre-orders for months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Someone should tell them GameStop Ireland have been taking pre-orders for months :D

They are probably looking for some handy money for when they go bust.

I'd advise most people to stay clear of them for next gen consoles or at the very least be cautious by putting down the bare minimum.

I'd advise most people to stay clear of them for next gen consoles or at the very least be cautious by putting down the bare minimum.

That is exactly what it is, and asking for a minimum 50 quid for a pre-order is just scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

My local Gamestop is doing grand. I know the manager quite well.
    Its mainly the US part of the operation that is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,875 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wouldn't imagine it really matters what is happening in your local (Irish?) gamestop.

If GameStop US goes under (and it already was in massive financial difficulty) can GameStop Ireland continue?

GS already had closures in Ireland the last few months, nowhere is 'safe' I'd say. If HQ decide something tomorrow, they could close down every EU store if they wanted.

What is the minimum deposit does anyone know? 50 seems a bit high.

GS already had closures in Ireland the last few months, nowhere is 'safe' I'd say. If HQ decide something tomorrow, they could close down every EU store if they wanted.

What is the minimum deposit does anyone know? 50 seems a bit high.

Based on this thread it seems to be 50, which is shocking and seems like a desperate cash grab, especially when you consider that pre-orders aren't even officially open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They are trading as one company in Ireland. The Dublin stores and those in shopping centres and on main streets could be hemorrhaging money with massive rents.

If the company goes to the wall then all stores will be closed.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They are going me company in Ireland. The Dublin stores and those in shopping centres and on main strrets could be hemorrhaging money with massive rents.

If the company goes to the wall then all stores will be closed.

Something tells me they won't be in any hurry to hand back those deposits if they do. I have pre-ordered almost every console with them in the last 10 years but I just don't feel comfortable doing it this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement