Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,719 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought the PS2 was a fantastic looking console. Probably my favourite of them all. I do love the look of the PS4 Pro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh, can't agree there.

PS1 looked gorgeous but the disc drive was plastic in initial models and wore out after about 4 months of use. Took them a while to iron out dodgy disc drives in later models.

PS2 was one of the ugliest looking consoles ever made and the disc drive was such a disaster that a class action lawsuit was brought against Sony which they lost.

The PSP had disc drive issues with early UMD drives which spit out UMDs at random as well as dead pixel issues.

PS3 had blue ray drive issues and also issues with the GPU overheating and coming off the motherboard. Fingerprint and dust magnet cover and ugly as sin.

The PS Vita was.... ok that console was fantastic but so fantastic Sony dropped it :pac:

PS4, more disc drive issues. My early model will eject discs at random.

Sony usually have very poor hardware designs in their initial models so I'm not going to be that optimistic it will be a well designed console as I've had issues with all of their consoles other than the Vita.

Yeah I was about to say, Sony have a Woeful track record with their initial iterations of all their consoles.

Ps4 also has the serious overheating issues which turned them into jet planes after about a year.

Original PSP has very poorly designed start and selected buttons which broke on all 5 I have used

When compared to Xbox, only the 360 had serious issues, still have my day one Xbox One with 0 issues.

I did get a Ps4 pro, skipped until then as all my friends had Ps4's and they all had issues. Ps4 pro has been nothing but flawless and I have not touched my Xbox one much since

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No sign on inpi for brazil or WIPO and no site can link to anything other than that original story even now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    I thought the PS2 was a fantastic looking console. Probably my favourite of them all. I do love the look of the PS4 Pro though.

Thought it was ugly and was common consensus at the time. The two step design was not nice and then you had the chicken wire effect on the front. One of the ugliest consoles ever made. The slim was a massive improvement.

As for the Ps1, think it's a gorgeous console. Sleek lines, small and yet looked so modern, especially in comparison to the bulky Saturn and the 16 bit consoles that looked like toys. I'd rank that as one of the best looking consoles ever made.

Wasn't a fan of the PS4 design but didn't hate it like the PS2 design and it had a nice size and form factor after the monstrosity that was the PS3. PS4 was just a little too safe for me.

As for the V design, doubt it will make it to final production models but would be nice in a way to see the crazier console designs of old make a comeback now that everything is so 'applified'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I must have been lucky with PS consoles, have had all of the launch models and the only issue we had was with the PS2, where the second controller port stopped working. Rest have been spot on, though I do take good care of them.

• Advertisement

Launch PS3 is the only one that out right failed on me without help.

PS1 never gave an issue
    PS2 needed a clean once with one of those cleaning discs.
    PS2 slim failed when the power connection/takeoff came off the PCB as it didn't have a power off button and my mother would tidy aggressively and hated little red lights. Sorted it myself with a bit of extra plastic to support it and soldering it.
    PS3 slim, PS4, and PS4 pro still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Eh, can't agree there.

PS1 looked gorgeous but the disc drive was plastic in initial models and wore out after about 4 months of use. Took them a while to iron out dodgy disc drives in later models.

PS2 was one of the ugliest looking consoles ever made and the disc drive was such a disaster that a class action lawsuit was brought against Sony which they lost.

The PSP had disc drive issues with early UMD drives which spit out UMDs at random as well as dead pixel issues.

PS3 had blue ray drive issues and also issues with the GPU overheating and coming off the motherboard. Fingerprint and dust magnet cover and ugly as sin.

The PS Vita was.... ok that console was fantastic but so fantastic Sony dropped it :pac:

Sony usually have very poor hardware designs in their initial models so I'm not going to be that optimistic it will be a well designed console as I've had issues with all of their consoles other than the Vita.

I think that’s a total exaggeration to say they have very poor hardware designs on their launch models. I’ve never experienced an issue from PS2 to PS4, and I personally don’t know of many people having them either.

I think this is another issue where the internet makes things appear more prevalent because those with issues will post about it, while the majority without issues feel no need to post about their lack of issues. Happens every year with the launch of new iPhones and things can get blown out of proportion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think that’s a total exaggeration to say they have very poor hardware designs on their launch models. I’ve never experienced an issue from PS2 to PS4, and I personally don’t know of many people having them either.

I think this is another issue where the internet makes things appear more prevalent because those with issues will post about it, while the majority without issues feel no need to post about their lack of issues. Happens every year with the launch of new iPhones and things can get blown out of proportion.

No actually, it's not blown out of proportions. It's very well documented. PS1 was a major issue. Later models fixed this which is what most people remember. PS2 was a major issue as well, as big as if not bigger than the RROD. PS3 issues weren't as prevalent. Blu Ray drives did fail and the bad soldering made the chip come off the motherboard. The fact that updates flashed the NAND and bricked the console was just bad design. It wasn't as wide spread as RROD on 360 but it was an issue. The main issue was Sony's complete refusal to acknowledge the flaws in their design and offer replacements/repairs unlike Microsoft. My US 60GB model is still going well today but just because mine is doesn't mean it's a well documented issue. The didn't happen to me so it's not true internet defense is the least helpful thing to say online. It got covered in a BBC consumer watchdog show.

As for the PS4, well I wish my early model was perfect but it likes to randomly eject discs when not turned on or even in the middle of gameplay so I'm not going to say it's well designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I got the YLOD on my launch PS3 after 2 years, it was a very prevalent issue at the time if I recall, Got the slim as a replacement and never had an issue again. No issues with any of the others and I've owned several of all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had to replace a PS console. I certainly "upgraded" a few times, but never had to contact Sony or send a console back to them. Had the PS1, PSOne (really wanted a Net Yaroze one, but couldn't get my hands on one. Only wanted it because it was black!), launch PS2, PS2 slim, OG PS3 with an upgraded HDD, PS4 and upgraded to PS4 Pro. Never had an issue with any of them. Went through 4 360's though!

I think it's luck of the draw. A certain amount of hardware will have issues, and maybe I'm just not aware of how many had issues over the years. Tried to Google but can't find any figures...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Heat and noise as well. Most user re-pasted console in history I'd wager, including the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Only one i had a problem with was PS3,multiple YLODs with the same console after getting the solder reballed a few times.

Game ended up giving me a €250 voucher for it even though it was 4 yrs old at the time,bought slim model with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

A slight tangent, what spec of TV should I be getting to maximise the picture quality for the ps5?

I'm saying now, I won't buy it day one due to the initial launch issues as mentioned above needing to be ironed out and the overlap between PS4 and 5 releases. I'd like to buy it a year or 18 months from launch. Having said that, putting a euro aside every day and if a PS4 trade in offer is announced by GameStop etc I could be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I remember having a weird issue with 2 different PS2s, where it would only read discs that had a blue back as opposed to the normal silver back

Also had a PS3 nearly go on fire but I put that down to Dad gluing in places he shouldn't have

I wouldn't be as au fait with the features TV's need to have for gaming, so I found this article from GamesRadar (know nothing about how they should be received): https://www.gamesradar.com/best-gaming-tvs/

Id hold off on buying a TV now for the PS5. Unless you actually need a TV.

Some of the features you might want like local dimming,peak brightness(HDR support),low latency etc will hopefully be cheaper by next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id hold off on buying a TV now for the PS5. Unless you actually need a TV.

Some of the features you might want like local dimming,peak brightness(HDR support),low latency etc will hopefully be cheaper by next year.

And HDMI 2.1

I dunno about hardware failures. Sometimes I feel like yanks get different batches that are produced at a much faster pace to keep up with their demand. There's always lots of complaining about RROD, YLOD, crappy joycons etc so there has to be some truth to it, but in my experience, which I appreciate is a limited pool, I've never had issues, and I usually have two or three of each console life time as I move around a lot and cannot be arsed carting consoles in luggage internationally when there's a revision model available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I kind of like the idea of choosing your own storage capacity when buying a PS5, if the below story is true!
    But I hate the idea of Sony making a proprietary storage unit again.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/sony-ps5-may-bring-cartridges-back-to-consoles-but-its-not-what-you-think

If they're using a somewhat proprietary or even a niche standard SSD then they'd probably have to offer external storage themselves, any HDD wouldn't be up for it and maybe many SSDs. If they used tiered storage games might be run off the internal drive but stored longer term on these additional drives, would allow the external drives to be cheaper.

Hopefully since it might be there from launch they'll have better support for external drives, right now you can only have something installed on either hte internal drive or the external and if it detect a second copy it asks you to delete one. Not great when moving drives between consoles. An option to copy a game to a console would be nice, rather than having to just move a game between them.

The designer on that cartridge patent is Yujin Morisawa who mostly does stuff like toys and those weird rolling audio players. Doubt it is related to PS5

• Advertisement

My only worry is the scandelous markup they will put on them. Remember the proprietary storage solution for the Vita? Yeah, pretty sure those prices were part of the cause for it to ultimately fail. If they do the same with SSD's it could negatively affect the sales imo. Great idea, but needs to be affordable.

My only worry is the scandelous markup they will put on them. Remember the proprietary storage solution for the Vita? Yeah, pretty sure those prices were part of the cause for it to ultimately fail. If they do the same with SSD's it could negatively affect the sales imo. Great idea, but needs to be affordable.

The Vita cards were just money making, same as any of the professional cameras do. And same as with the PS1&2 Sony already had a memory card standard they could have used.

Thing is even if they had worked on a tiny profit for them or even at cost, you'd be comparing a product with a potential market of a couple of million to the SD card market of a few billion. Proprietary will always cost more, as the scale isn't there.

Just on these SSDs, most people I think wouldn't have been using external storage on PS4 or stuck with their internal and just deleted as needed. The Vita on the other had, came with no storage making them needed for any digital games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

It's looking like a cartridge for a new handheld system.

I fear the cartridge storage thing is where they plan to make some money back.

If Sony are to be believed about the feature set of the console i wouldnt be surprised if its selling at a slight loss. But say they start charging €100 for a 1TB cartridge. A lot will depend on what size the drive it ships with though.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/tech/sony-playstation-5-ssd-cartridge-patent/

Scroll down a bit and look at the next images. Look at the size of the cross head screw for scale... The connection pins look more on the scale of a vita type cartridge. I'm sticking with a new handheld cartridge. The patent description can easily fall into this category,
    " The device is a "recording medium which can record various data, such as a character, an image, an animation, a sound and a program"

Capture.jpgfree photo host

PS4 was just under 2 weeks before black friday, and this date would put it less than a week.

Sony filed a similar patent that turned out to be for a Japanese only toy (Sony Toio) before, and by filed by same guy this time.

Guess we will find out in due course.

Ive not seen the cartridge comfirmed as a PS5 device anywhere that id consider very reliable yet but in some ways it would make sense to me.

If you add up all the money spent on expanding storage for the PS4 i could see Sony thinking they would like that money for themselves.

Going with proprietary tech will turn some off though so it could be risky if theres any truth to it.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Going with proprietary tech will turn some off though so it could be risky if theres any truth to it.

It wouldn't be a barrier itself, it's their pricing that will be a barrier. When I got the Vita, I jumped at it without thinking and then got the shock for the memory cards. The 64GB one was $120! That's just crazy money, when a non-proprietary one cost a fraction of that for the same size!

Same will happen with these memory drives, if that's what they are. €100 for a TB is good (my 1TB SSD for the Pro cost €125 delivered iirc). But if they want to charge €200 for 1TB it will have an effect.

• Advertisement

The mystery is solved

https://youtu.be/R4SfzI7qePQ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement