Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

marcbrophy wrote: »
    The kiosk in Currys is probably a PS4 one closed off due to Covid-19 safety precautions :D

Sony told IGN that it's not PS5 related. Honestly you're probably right in it just being a closed off PS4 kiosk

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah saw a comment saying it could be one being taken down. Maybe whoever took the photo hadn't been in that store before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Sony told IGN that it's not PS5 related. Honestly you're probably right in it just being a closed off PS4 kiosk
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah saw a comment saying it could be one being taken down. Maybe whoever took the photo hadn't been in that store before

Yes it looks as if it was previously a PS4 Demo kiosk.
    Here's the IGN related clarification from Sony.
    Update: In a statement issued to IGN, Sony has denied that the retail kiosks spotted in stores are PlayStation 5 related. The Japanese giant didn't elaborate on what the displays are being used for, but presumably they were running PlayStation 4 demos prior to the coronavirus crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Why pre-order with any company that does not know price or stock levels?
    Seems unwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

People have a fear of missing out, but i agree giving money to gamestop without price nor product is madness, Ive ordered from them before, got a dispatch notice with tracking and then 4 days later got another email to say that the product was out of stock and will not be arriving.

So i shall be staying well away from them for my series X and ps5 orders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

recyclops wrote: »
    People have a fear of missing out, but i agree giving money to gamestop without price nor product is madness, Ive ordered from them before, got a dispatch notice with tracking and then 4 days later got another email to say that the product was out of stock and will not be arriving.

So i shall be staying well away from them for my series X and ps5 orders

I have pre-ordered my last 5 or so consoles with them, and they have all been very positive experiences (except the PS4 midnight launch on Henry St when they had a band playing about 3m away from my face). I am going with Smyths this time though. The fact that they are taking pre-orders before they are supposed to and are asking 50 quid is putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Do you think as soon as gamestop receive numbers on actual stock they will refund people who are too far down the list immediately?
    I just can't see them giving that money back until legally required to.

Do you think as soon as gamestop receive numbers on actual stock they will refund people who are too far down the list immediately?
    I just can't see them giving that money back until legally required to.

Probably not. It wasn't GameStop but I remember when I was in the queue in EB to get my Gamecube back in 2002, some guy had pre-paid for the console and a couple of games in full, but Nintendo dropped the price pre-release and they wouldn't give him a refund. They will do anything to hang onto your money.

They will probably place you on a reserve list or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Homelander wrote: »
    Well of course they would say that! If they shut up shop, extremely slim to zero chance of getting your deposit back.

This isn't necessarily true.

If you paid by card, you could apply for a chargeback through your card provider as you haven't received the product or service you paid for.

If you just opt to join a list of creditors instead though, you'd have no chance.

This isn't necessarily true.

If you paid by card, you could apply for a chargeback through your card provider as you haven't received the product or service you paid for.

I have never done this so don't know how it works, but wouldn't this be difficult if the charge is 6 months old or so? AFAIK they have been taking these pre-orders for a while now.

BTW does no one else think its a little strange that you can't do this pre-order online?

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    I have never done this so don't know how it works, but wouldn't this be difficult if the charge is 6 months old or so? AFAIK they have been taking these pre-orders for a while now.

Varies from card provider to card provider but some provide a period of up to 4-6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Markitron wrote: »
    Probably not. It wasn't GameStop but I remember when I was in the queue in EB to get my Gamecube back in 2002, some guy had pre-paid for the console and a couple of games in full, but Nintendo dropped the price pre-release and they wouldn't give him a refund. They will do anything to hang onto your money.

They will probably place you on a reserve list or something.

PREPAID FOR EVERYTHING ? He deserved to get fleeced. Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've seen ones saying before that they pay off a bit at a time on preorders so would be all paid off in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've never understood the people who have to pay in to their preorder every week or month or whatever, the minimum amount get's you the preorder and just show up on the night with the cash.

Varik wrote: »
    I've never understood the people who have to pay in to their preorder every week or month or whatever, the minimum amount get's you the preorder and just show up on the night with the cash.

Discipline I think that you're actively saving for it and not scrambling on the day because you've splurged it previously on pints and games for your backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I prefer prepaying as well as I don't know what may come up before the day that may be deemed "more important" than my gaming fund. Realistically if I've got 600 odd quid sitting around the house, the better half will decide 2 weeks to launch we need a new washing machine or something. So paying off month by month allows me to budget accordingly and ensure it won't be eaten into.

On a side note, just watched the xbox show and I have to admit, I'm getting tempted to get one of them aswell with a simple game pass. Seems like an easy way to get access to huge amount of games at this point. Be like getting a PS4 with PSNow I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Folks it's utter insanity to preorder with Gamestop, as a company they are on their last legs, all they're short is selling birthday cards at this stage. Aswell as that, you can nearly guarantee they will be the most expensive for accessories and games (and consoles if they can get away with it).

Smyths is the logical option here, they are not under any threat of going under, they will have similar levels of stock and will most likely have decent bundle deals.

Anyone preordering with Gamestop needs their head examined. If its a case of being able to pay it off weekly or whatever, stick a few quid on a preorder in smyths and then get one of their gift cards and top that up whenever you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Folks it's utter insanity to preorder with Gamestop, as a company they are on their last legs, all they're short is selling birthday cards at this stage. Aswell as that, you can nearly guarantee they will be the most expensive for accessories and games (and consoles if they can get away with it).

Smyths is the logical option here, they are not under any threat of going under, they will have similar levels of stock and will most likely have decent bundle deals.

Anyone preordering with Gamestop needs their head examined. If its a case of being able to pay it off weekly or whatever, stick a few quid on a preorder in smyths and then get one of their gift cards and top that up whenever you feel like it.

BINGO... WHAT HE SAID. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I had my PS4 paid off before launch more or less, just kept trading in games until release.

Actually, and I've done this a lot when working for Nintendo, when you compare the gaming retailers for hardware, GameStop tend to stick to RRP, its primarily software where it gouges the hell out of people. :)

While I think everyone and their dog knows the gamestop model is just kicking the can down road to inevitable closure, I think they are safe enough for the next few months as an entity. But I wouldn't call smyths an infallible entity either.

• Advertisement

When I pre-ordered the PS2 I was a 16 year old working part time in a petrol station. Considering how much that thing cost, it suited me to pay it off in chunks.
    Parsnips wrote: »
    PREPAID FOR EVERYTHING ? He deserved to get fleeced. Clown.

You have to understand that back then it was standard to trade things in over time off a pre-order so it was fairly common. This guy was in his late 30s so probably not in his case but still.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Actually, and I've done this a lot when working for Nintendo, when you compare the gaming retailers for hardware, GameStop tend to stick to RRP, its primarily software where it gouges the hell out of people. :)

While I think everyone and their dog knows the gamestop model is just kicking the can down road to inevitable closure, I think they are safe enough for the next few months as an entity. But I wouldn't call smyths an infallible entity either.

Yea GS always charge RRP for a new console, it's on literally everything else that they gouge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I say " Fukc the begrudges ".

I have pre-ordered my PS5 with GS. I am a big person that understands the risk of my local shop closing down, and I have come to my own conclusion that in this current global gaming situation that this scenario is very unlikely (there's always ques in the place).

What I have gained by taking this self assessed minimal risk...
    I have gained a jump on ppl that have not pre-ordered their PS5 with GS, therefore I am more likely to get one from my local store.
    I can now chip away at the cost of the console, I now have €85 paid off already.
    I will now pre-order another PS5 from another retailer as a backup.
    I will probably have two PS5,s at launch. I will sell the second one to my Son, and he can pay it off when he can.
    I do not understand all the traction that this topic has gained in this thread. Get back on topic about all the good things to look forward to.

ps, I was not impressed with the Xbox games showcase. I did not see anything that showed any next gen experience. And once again, not enough gameplay. It's Sony's contest to lose.

Moore's law is dead has a few snippets of interest,

Begrudgers? I am not bedgrudging anyone, just stated my reasons why I am not comfortable going with Gamestop for my pre-order. If it works for you, more power to you.

Also I don't see how this conversation is somehow off-topic. Discussing the best place to pre-order a PS5 in a thread dedicated to the unreleased PS5 seems pretty on-topic to me anyway.

FWIW I agree about the Xbox showcase, that was a piss-poor showing. Halo didn't look impressive at all, there was nothing new on Hellblade, most of the rest of what they showed were either early announcement trailers or multi-platform games. I thought the PS5 reveal was just OK but it was still far better than this.

Only thing that caught my eye was new Fable, but i can't see them recapturing the magic of the originals.

anyone know if ps4 camera will work with PS5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

ps, I was not impressed with the Xbox games showcase. I did not see anything that showed any next gen experience. And once again, not enough gameplay. It's Sony's contest to lose.

The great thing about the Xbox event is all game shown are on gamepass. That is a great deal to be honest. Avowed looks great, The Medium has potential also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah both the ms and ps5 gameplay reveals were very poor, like is said above the fact all are on gamepass from yesterday is fairly sweet, considering most folk stack their memberships you could be gaming until 2022 on it and everything shown yesterday is yours.

I really hope sony go down a similar route

Yea although I wasn't mad about the showcase, gamepass is the best value in the industry right now

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

Wait **** did I miss something are we able to preorder the ps5 already?

Officially no, but Gamestop Ireland are taking 50 quid deposits in-store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not officially (as they haven't revealed date, price, stock etc). But Gamestop are taking preorders for it already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement