Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

Markitron wrote: »
    Officially no, but Gamestop Ireland are taking 50 quid deposits in-store.

Ahhhh wait for Smyths it is then I guess. Have absolutely no problem with GS but wouldnt be arsed pre ordering until officially released and by then I'll be miles down the list I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

recyclops wrote: »
    Yeah both the ms and ps5 gameplay reveals were very poor, like is said above the fact all are on gamepass from yesterday is fairly sweet, considering most folk stack their memberships you could be gaming until 2022 on it and everything shown yesterday is yours.

I really hope sony go down a similar route

Yeah I was going to watch the Xbox showcase but reading a recap of it, glad I didn't. Fable seems to have been the biggest reveal/announcement but it's not a franchise I've ever even looked at so it'd mean nothing to me.

But yeah, the shining light of the whole thing is the Gamepass, which continues to show itself to be amazing value, and an area PS runs the risk of really falling behind on. PS need to bump up PS Now and let it be a real competitor to Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I think a lot of people are overlooking Gamepass, everything first party you dont need to buy.. espically if you have it stacked its amazing. I also thought the show was dissapointing, the PS one was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are overlooking Gamepass, everything first party you dont need to buy.. espically if you have it stacked its amazing. I also thought the show was dissapointing, the PS one was better.

People seem to have a big thing against not owning the games you play on it, but the way I look at it is, if you play even 2-3 games on it over the course of the year, then you're just getting absolutely ridiculous value from it.

Like, personally I've played

Sea of Thieves
    For the King
    Forza 4
    PES
    Outer Worlds
    Dead by Daylight
    My Name is Pedro
    FM2020
    Marvel vs Capcom infinite

for less than 20e, and I'm almost certain there's a few more bangers I'm leaving out, it is just absolutely ridiculously good value, and that's only me using it for PC games.

Edit - and one of the best things about Gamepass, it's alot easier to get your buddies to play a multiplayer game if they already have access to it and don't need to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Gamepass is exceptional for price, quality and ease of use, playstation could learn a lot from it.

• Advertisement

ronano wrote: »
    Gamepass is exceptional for price, quality and ease of use, playstation could learn a lot from it.

And it'll only get better once the new studios MS bought last year start churning out more exclusives.

Their first party exclusives are Playstation's biggest advantage over Xbox, while Gamepass is Xbox's biggest advantage. Xbox are moving towards offering better exclusives, Playstation needs to properly compete with Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Not going to lie, far more impressed with the selection of Xbox games we saw compared to ps5, I will still get both as I did with ps4 and Xbox one but damn some absolute brilliant games making there way to Xbox, Stalker 2 alone would be a great reason to buy the console and then the new Obsidian game and SOD3.

Still played my ps4 far far far more than my Xbox one due to the likes of Persona 5 and Horizon though
    Hopefully Sony pull out some more enjoyable first party games, I feel Last of us 2 was a huge let down but Ghost of Tishuma or whatever its called made up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

We haven't seen the final launch line ups of either console yet, tbh. There'll still be some covid-related delays, and some other surprises not yet announced IMO.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    We haven't seen the final launch line ups of either console yet, tbh. There'll still be some covid-related delays, and some other surprises not yet announced IMO.

Rumours that more to be revealed in the next State of Play, possibly August 6th.

I think in many ways the launch lineups are irrelevant. Both consoles will have a few games, but they'll mostly rely on multiplatforms and PS4/XB1 Xmas games being playable through backwards compatibility and upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

People seem to have a big thing against not owning the games you play on it, but the way I look at it is, if you play even 2-3 games on it over the course of the year, then you're just getting absolutely ridiculous value from it.

Like, personally I've played

Sea of Thieves
    For the King
    Forza 4
    PES
    Outer Worlds
    Dead by Daylight
    My Name is Pedro
    FM2020
    Marvel vs Capcom infinite

for less than 20e, and I'm almost certain there's a few more bangers I'm leaving out, it is just absolutely ridiculously good value, and that's only me using it for PC games.

Edit - and one of the best things about Gamepass, it's alot easier to get your buddies to play a multiplayer game if they already have access to it and don't need to buy it.

Is gamepass 20e for the year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is anyone actually against Gamepass? It seems to be a fantastic service. Being PS only, I'm extremely jealous of it. Sony know they don't have to compete with it as they are winning in other areas which is a shame. Even if they added ps now to your ps plus sub, it still wouldn't come close to gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm not convinced about putting a pre order in with GameStop tbh, my pal who works there in accounts was let go only last week and she was saying it's not looking that well for the future for them...

Can they survive on cr@ppy Funko pops between now and then?

I'm not so sure, I think this time around I will order from Smyths...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Is anyone actually against Gamepass? It seems to be a fantastic service. Being PS only, I'm extremely jealous of it. Sony know they don't have to compete with it as they are winning in other areas which is a shame. Even if they added ps now to your ps plus sub, it still wouldn't come close to gamepass.

First party wise I think Sony's output would take a noticeable drop in quality if everything launched on a gamepass like service, sure some studios would be fine but others would have to push things out quicker. I look at the likes of Crackdown 3, State if Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and think they would never have been released in their launch state if they had to cost 60 dollars. Looking how well their first party games continue to sell it wouldn't be wise for Sony to do Gamepass as a business decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

This could be interesting.
    Both companies have gone down the path of extreme raw power for their consoles and even the same architecture.

Could the way games are provided to customers decide the next generation winner?

Good point about quality, I don't see how big production games can be sustained with a low monthly sub model for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

This could be interesting.
    Both companies have gone down the path of extreme raw power for their consoles and even the same architecture.

Could the way games are provided to customers decide the next generation winner?

Good point about quality, I don't see how big production games can be sustained with a low monthly sub model for access.

Subscriptions are the next gen metric for both Playstation & Xbox.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Subscriptions are the next gen metric for both Playstation & Xbox.

This, like Netflix, doesn't matter whether 1 person or a million people play the games, the money rolls in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So no new PS5 news in the last few pages. Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Sony have overloaded us with info and we don't know where to start :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

padair wrote: »
    Is gamepass 20e for the year??

No, it's €9.99 a month for Gamepass on the console or €12.99 a month for Gamepass on the console and PC/ AND Xbox Live Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Moore's law link I posted on last page has some very interesting stuff. He is quite reliable with his info leaks. GOW at next PS event, spec upgrades on way before launch, now that's news worthy, no ?

Story time...

I was lying in bed this morning and something started to form in my brain,

I and so it seems as many others do not particularly want a white console, but I will live with it. I have convinced myself that the outer white leaves of the PS5 is just a changeable skin. The covers will swap out with a simple screw on the bottom of the console, something like the OG PS3 setup. I reckon that the black, center of the console is the sealed part where the magic happens, so that is the sealed from interfering unwashed hands.

I want a dark oak skin to match my TV cabinet.

Now, there's something for ye all to play with :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Best of both worlds for me. I have Xbox Gamepass for PC (currently 3.99 a month) and PS Plus. Most if not all games announced as coming to both the new consoles are also coming to PC so I'm defo going to hold off on buying either console at launch. Never had an xbox and no reason to start now since their service is now available to me another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Now, there's something for ye all to play with :p

I'd say you're right. The VP of UX Design Matt MacLaurin said that the "PS5 will be customisable in ways previous gens weren't", so I'd imagine that's what he was hinting at. Will be great to spend €50 on 2 black bits of plastic to make it more visually appealing! Hope the same applies to the DualSense.

I'd say you're right. The VP of UX Design Matt MacLaurin said that the "PS5 will be customisable in ways previous gens weren't", so I'd imagine that's what he was hinting at. Will be great to spend €50 on 2 black bits of plastic to make it more visually appealing! Hope the same applies to the DualSense.

I wonder how long it will take Aliexpress to get out the Manga skins :P
    I went back to look at the controller reveal by Geoff Keighley and it does not look possible as the white plastic seems to be a complete wrap around. Watch the video at 3.14 and pause, it looks like a single skin... I hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

RedXIV wrote: »
    While I think everyone and their dog knows the gamestop model is just kicking the can down road to inevitable closure, I think they are safe enough for the next few months as an entity. But I wouldn't call smyths an infallible entity either.

I worked for Game when they closed. A few weeks before they closed there was a lot of speculation that the writing was on the wall. Memos were sent from the UK that all was fine, this was just a bad reading period. Management was brought over to the UK to a trade fair and they returned with tales of Game's bright future. Every employee would have an iPad where new releases could be showcased to customers! It was GameStop and HMV who were suffering, we were told.

Two weeks later an email arrives at the crack of dawn; we're not to open the shop. Store credit is invalid. Loyalty cards won't be honoured. Pre-ordered payments are to be forgotten about. I won't anger myself on the topic of wages.

Thankfully this was a time when customers would have only the odd €5 pre-order for a game, but there was a few customers who saved their loyalty credit for the next console (Some would have one or two hundred saved).

I wouldn't pre-order at GameStop unless you're willing to accept that you might lose your deposit. Game only closed Irish stores permanently but didn't honour refunds etc. from Ireland. Smyth's seem like the safer bet, but I'll most likely look to an online supplier.

Have been hemming and hawing this ages about whether or not to get the digital edition of the console. Decided today that it just makes more economical sense to get the standard edition as I bought Ghost of Tsushima, Doom Eternal and FF7R today off Amazon for ~€110. Checked the price of them on the PS Store and it'd be ~€210. Don't think I'd like to be stuck to the prices on the PS Store with that kind of a saving available off discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Wing126 wrote: »
    Have been hemming and hawing this ages about whether or not to get the digital edition of the console. Decided today that it just makes more economical sense to get the standard edition as I bought Ghost of Tsushima, Doom Eternal and FF7R today off Amazon for ~€110. Checked the price of them on the PS Store and it'd be ~€210. Don't think I'd like to be stuck to the prices on the PS Store with that kind of a saving available off discs.

On this do sony allow gameshare in the same model MS do ( two friends buy one game digitally and both can play whenever they want)

recyclops wrote: »
    On this do sony allow gameshare in the same model MS do ( two friends buy one game digitally and both can play whenever they want)

I had no idea MS offered that. But the way Game sharing works on PS4 (hopefully it will be the same on PS5), is, you log in to your mate's console and make it your primary console, and they do the same with their account.

Both of you then have access to either account's purchased games. I'm not sure if there's a restriction on when people can play as I've never actually used Game sharing on PS4.

Rumour has it that the front plates on the PS5 are in fact swappable.

https://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-8683081-1-1.html

Chinese site leaked some images. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but looks like people could get their wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I had no idea MS offered that. But the way Game sharing works on PS4 (hopefully it will be the same on PS5), is, you log in to your mate's console and make it your primary console, and they do the same with their account.

Both of you then have access to either account's purchased games. I'm not sure if there's a restriction on when people can play as I've never actually used Game sharing on PS4.

Its the exact same process on Xbox.

• Advertisement

Rumour has it that the front plates on the PS5 are in fact swappable.

https://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-8683081-1-1.html

Chinese site leaked some images. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but looks like people could get their wish!

I need to start doing the lotto :p

Ps, the next obvious addition is fully addressable RGB lighting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement