Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Wing126 wrote: »
    Have been hemming and hawing this ages about whether or not to get the digital edition of the console. Decided today that it just makes more economical sense to get the standard edition as I bought Ghost of Tsushima, Doom Eternal and FF7R today off Amazon for ~€110. Checked the price of them on the PS Store and it'd be ~€210. Don't think I'd like to be stuck to the prices on the PS Store with that kind of a saving available off discs.

The driveless version of the console actually makes no sense - it's not smaller and it certainly doesn't save any cost for Sony when building it; What's the bulk price for a BR disc unit, something around 5 euro?

The reason they might sell the "digital only" edition at a discount is because it's a way to make that money back later - and then much more, as they tie you into buying from the online store. And you'll likely end up paying much more than what you saved on the console when you can't avail of second hand games or the occasional bargain (like the ones you found) of physical copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The driveless version of the console actually makes no sense - it's not smaller and it certainly doesn't save any cost for Sony when building it; What's the bulk price for a BR disc unit, something around 5 euro?

The reason they might sell the "digital only" edition at a discount is because it's a way to make that money back later - and then much more, as they tie you into buying from the online store. And you'll likely end up paying much more than what you saved on the console when you can't avail of second hand games or the occasional bargain (like the ones you found) of physical copies.

Completely incorrect, not only do you have to consider the drive, but they also have to implement the security features on the drive to prevent piracy, this alone adds quite a large cost to the device, I would imagine all the cost being around 60-70 euro because you also have to consider the cost of extra power delivery and the wires to connect the drive etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Hopefully the panel is interchangeable. would be sweet.

But ....How would that effect sales of different PS5 versions. If I can but a panel for €20 why would I but a limited edition colour for €500.
    please dont say " because its limited edition". you get my drift.

Dont think it will happen.
    My guess is once the panel is fixed after manufacturing.. thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Parsnips wrote: »
    Hopefully the panel is interchangeable. would be sweet.

But ....How would that effect sales of different PS5 versions. If I can but a panel for €20 why would I but a limited edition colour for €500.
    please dont say " because its limited edition". you get my drift.

Dont think it will happen.
    My guess is once the panel is fixed after manufacturing.. thats it.

I would guess that the special collector edition games will come bundled with the skins, rather than a complete console. This saves retooling and custom packaging by Sony. I think that officially licensed skins will be a good seller for Sony.
    I'm sure that there will be SE PS5's, but not as numerous as the PS4.

Little Jonnie will be asking Mammy for a new skin on his console when a new Fortnite season comes out rather than a character skin... I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Completely incorrect, not only do you have to consider the drive, but they also have to implement the security features on the drive to prevent piracy, this alone adds quite a large cost to the device, I would imagine all the cost being around 60-70 euro because you also have to consider the cost of extra power delivery and the wires to connect the drive etc.

Not at all - what makes the most sense, at an industrial level, is to simply have the exact same hardware without the disk drive. Maybe they can skip on soldering a chip or two on the mainboard, and save on a cable, but on a large scale, the cost saving is minuscule.

The main expense is the R&D, in this you are indeed correct, but spanned over million of consoles, it doesn't make a difference.

The only real reason for the existence of a driverless console is for the manufacturer to cut third party vendors and second-hand games out of the picture. Attract customers with a lower price taking a hit, trap them forever making up for it and then some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony is starting a new lineup of "Ready for PlayStation 5" TVs, highlighting models that have special integration with PS5 and gaming-friendly specs.

The first two models in the "Ready for PlayStation 5" line are already available in the mass market: the XH90 4K HDR Full Array LED, which retails starting at $999.99, and the ZH8 8K HDR Full Array LED, which retails starting at $5,999.99.

https://www.gamesradar.com/sony-announces-two-ready-for-ps5-tvs-with-special-console-integration/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I would guess that the special collector edition games will come bundled with the skins, rather than a complete console. This saves retooling and custom packaging by Sony. I think that officially licensed skins will be a good seller for Sony.
    I'm sure that there will be SE PS5's, but not as numerous as the PS4.

Little Jonnie will be asking Mammy for a new skin on his console when a new Fortnite season comes out rather than a character skin... I reckon.

Thing is they cab still have special edition versions of the consoles that alter the mid section and/or come with limited edition plates. I hope they go down this road from day 1, the swap-able plates would sell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just on the TV, the Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) is part of HDMI 2.1 standard, it's not a Sony only thing. Also being able to turn on the TV with the console is also part of it through CEC and so is the controlling the console with the TV remote.

None of this is specific to those Sony TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Don't think the XH90 has hdmi 2.1 enabled yet. It will come in a firmware update.
    Watched a review of it on Rtings.
    Lovely TV though. I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I want to hear about Sony's plans for the PS5 in relation to VR... Lots of places are reporting that RE8/Village will support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

Subscriptions are the next gen metric for both Playstation & Xbox.

I miss the old HC capture the flag days.
    padair wrote: »
    Is gamepass 20e for the year??

Nah sorry I meant value for me personally, I've spent lass than 20e and have played all those games so far.

I pay 3.99e a month for Gamepass on the P.C and first month was 1e, I've got great value for money out of it myself.
    Wing126 wrote: »
    No, it's €9.99 a month for Gamepass on the console or €12.99 a month for Gamepass on the console and PC/ AND Xbox Live Gold.

I'm only paying 3.99 for Gamepass on the P.C personally.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I want to hear about Sony's plans for the PS5 in relation to VR... Lots of places are reporting that RE8/Village will support it.

They have confirmed that the PSVR will be compatible with PS5, but yea, still a lot of questions to answer there. I suspect this is the reason we haven't had a look at the back of the unit yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone else getting the feeling that the PS5 is going to slip and not hit the XMas release date. Microsoft seem to be showing a lot more of the console. They've shown the construction, had digital foundry in to show how it's put together. Shown games actually running on the hardware. Are committed to getting it out before XMas.

Sony on the other hand have given us very little to go on and aren't committed to a release date yet. They are being very cagey in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

that would be lovely for my own selfish wants, my worry is they both get released within two weeks of each other, the wife wouldnt be happy with being ignored in the lead up to christmas haha

that being said the ps5 will look like a new christmas ornament.

id like to know if ps now is going to carry on to the ps5 while not in the same level as gamepass there is massive opportunity for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone else getting the feeling that the PS5 is going to slip and not hit the XMas release date. Microsoft seem to be showing a lot more of the console. They've shown the construction, had digital foundry in to show how it's put together. Shown games actually running on the hardware. Are committed to getting it out before XMas.

Sony on the other hand have given us very little to go on and aren't committed to a release date yet. They are being very cagey in comparison.

There is no way they could miss the holidays and let M$oft get a head start.
    this was part of the reason the XBox360 destroyed the PS3. Sony kept dilly dallying and lying to people about the release and when 360 released first loads of Sony fanboys ( me included) got sick of the delay and jumped ship. ( and I didnt regret it tbf. Now back with PS4 and waiting on PS5)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think the Digital Foundry guys have stated in some one of their videos that they were scheduled to go to Sony to get the same type of access but it was just after COVID-19 hit (around March time).

I still think they can launch before Christmas, even if it's limited numbers they can spin it as "unprecedented demand, and we're making them as fast as we can".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Xbox haven't given a release date or price yet either, and supposedly have another reveal for their supposed Lockhart version coming too. I think neither side wants to go first, but they'll both have to release the info soon.

There were reports Sony had increased production to make more consoles available for Xmas, and they're rumoured to have a State of Play in early August where they'll likely reveal the date and price and open pre-orders.

I'd have no concerns about the release window slipping to be honest.

recyclops wrote: »
    id like to know if ps now is going to carry on to the ps5 while not in the same level as gamepass there is massive opportunity for improvement

I'd say at the very least it'll carry over to PS5, but they need to improve it to be a closer competitor to Gamepass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm just getting a bit of a PS3 vibe off them at the moment. Although Sony are a much more.... competent company now hardware wise than they were back then. Could be a very late launch for the PS5 maybe, Sony can't afford to miss black friday in the US, although I suspect it will sell out regardless of when it launches.

I'm just getting a bit of a PS3 vibe off them at the moment. Although Sony are a much more.... competent company now hardware wise than they were back then. Could be a very late launch for the PS5 maybe, Sony can't afford to miss black friday in the US, although I suspect it will sell out regardless of when it launches.

I think Black Friday will be an all-online thing this year anyway. Walmart, Best Buy and Target have already said they're going to close for Thanksgiving this year because of the virus, I imagine that will include Black Friday too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is Black Friday such a big deal for consoles that are going to be full price anyway so close to launch? Not like there are going to be deep discounts on a PS5 or XBSX that have been our for a few days or weeks, max. Hell, they’re likely not even going to be available to easily buy anyway.

I’d say both companies are still very eager to launch before Christmas, but hard to tell whether the delay in announcing firm release dates is marketing chicken or genuine pandemic-related reticence. I’d lean towards the former, but it is a weird year so I’m sure there are some unforeseen distribution / manufacturing consequences.

Black Friday is nothing to do with discounts, there most likely will be none on consoles that are so new.

Black Friday though is when a lot of americans go out and do their full shopping and Santa shopping for that xmas so if they don't pick up a console, then it isn't getting picked up. If the PS5 isn't available a lot will pick up the competition. And that there is a big loss to the platform holder as it means they have potentially lost someone out of their sales ecosystem.

I think from the start, way back to the wired article a year ago, they were going about announcing this thing in an extremely staggered way. Covid has obviously had a massive impact but I don't think it has fundamentally changed their approach, it just delayed everything a month or two. Anticipation is already really high and will probably get even higher when they announce price and release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

AMD have said the are already sending Apus to Sony and MS so there is no issue on the fab side of things.
    I don't think there will be a delay in the new consoles.

Maybe I'm just frustrated it's past E3 time and I still don't know enough :D

Maybe I'm just frustrated it's past E3 time and I still don't know enough :D

We should just count ourselves lucky we are still getting them at all this year, for a while there that didn't seem likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

My PS4 Pro is gone, €237 was a fair price from CEX as I didn't have the original box.
    Now to figure out the optimal time to buy the PS5
    I'll probably wait a few years and pickup some great exclusives really cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

My PS4 Pro is gone, €237 was a fair price from CEX as I didn't have the original box.
    Now to figure out the optimal time to buy the PS5
    I'll probably wait a few years and pickup some great exclusives really cheap.

Why'd ye get rid of it so early? To lock in that price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I only buy the PS for the exclusives and play multi-platform on PC. There are no PS4 exclusives left that I want to play. It worked out great. I only lost about €80 on what I paid for a new PS4 Pro back in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

That's it. If ya have another console/pc to tide you over the ps is done.

Bought mine for god if war, picked up a few exclusives. Served its purpose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement