Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

recyclops wrote: »
    That's it. If ya have another console/pc to tide you over the ps is done.

Bought mine for god if war, picked up a few exclusives. Served its purpose.

I was the same, got about 250 for my PS4 pro and I got that for 99 years ago with the GameStop trade in offer with a PS4 I bought cheap second hand about a year after its launch.

I have loads of PS4 games to catch up on, reason being was Rocket League getting in the way! I just want the best version of a PS4 available that doesn’t sound like a jet engine.

A PS5 (digital edition if it’s a good deal) with Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima will do me perfectly for Christmas. I have a Switch Lite to explore until then and at a push, Xbox 360 games to go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Black Friday is nothing to do with discounts, there most likely will be none on consoles that are so new.

Black Friday though is when a lot of americans go out and do their full shopping and Santa shopping for that xmas so if they don't pick up a console, then it isn't getting picked up. If the PS5 isn't available a lot will pick up the competition. And that there is a big loss to the platform holder as it means they have potentially lost someone out of their sales ecosystem.

Black Friday is nothing to do with discounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Black Friday is nothing to do with discounts?

Think he meant in the context of PS5/XSX, it's not Black Friday discounts which will be important (as they likely won't be discounted), but just general consumers doing their Xmas shopping, possible deals on peripherals/games rather than the consoles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »
    Think he meant in the context of PS5/XSX, it's not Black Friday discounts which will be important (as they likely won't be discounted), but just general consumers doing their Xmas shopping, possible deals on peripherals/games rather than the consoles etc.

They'll get limited discounts in the US, first X PS5/XSX are price at Y.

But Black Friday even without any discount is a huge sales day, and so is the weekend following as you'll have so many people in shopping and getting gifts.

Neither will want to be absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Some new news on PS5 and PS4 peripherals and accessories compatibility,
    from the Official PlayStation Blog.

Information on DualShock 4, PS VR, officially licensed peripherals, and more.

PlayStation VR, Peripherals Marketing and Licensing, SIE

In our June Future of Gaming digital event, we announced an array of PlayStation 5 peripherals and accessories that will be launching this holiday season. But we know that many of you were also wondering if and how existing PlayStation 4 peripherals are compatible with the next-gen system. Today, we’re happy to share a brief FAQ that will answer some of your questions.

If you have questions that aren’t addressed, feel free to leave them in the comments below.

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
    The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
    The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
    Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.

Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles.

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Is the PlayStation Camera for PS4 compatible with PS5?

Yes, PlayStation Camera will work with PS5 for playing supported PS VR games. It will require a PlayStation Camera adaptor that will be provided at no additional cost to PS VR users. More details on how to get the adaptor will be announced at a later date.

And that’s it! We’ll continue to provide updates on PlayStation 5 down the road, so make sure to check back soon.

• Advertisement

Nice about the camera adaptor.

Still want to know about proper bluetooth support, since we've only got a single USB A on front and maybe one on the rear I'd rather not have to use a dongle.

Varik wrote: »
    Nice about the camera adaptor.

Still want to know about proper bluetooth support, since we've only got a single USB A on front and maybe one on the rear I'd rather not have to use a dongle.

I'd say we'll be hearing a lot more news soon. Possibly this week, with rumours
    of a new State Of Play coming possibly Thursday 6th.

EDIT: Just confirmed there is a State OF Play coming this Thursday,
    confirmed on Twitter. It does state no PS5 news.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1290272391013130241?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

More questions about backwards compatibility with the use of "supported". Probably just covering themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

A lot of people are giving out about the Dualshock 4 not being compatible with PS5 games. I thought this kinda thing was the norm so unless there's something I'm missing, this seems perfectly fine to me. It makes sense...........doesn't it?

Then again the Dualshock 1 was fully compatible with the PS2 and the games, it just didn't utilise Dualshock 2-specific features, like the pressure sensitive buttons. I dunno. I personally think this is fine, so I'm probably looking at a handful of bitter sweethearts complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, it would be one thing if the PS5 and DS didn't have new features, but they do. So using older tech you wouldn't get those features, which would have meant having to re-do some upcoming games so DS4 users could play them. Seems perfectly fine to me tbh, new console, new pad, new features. Small thing to give out about tbh, every console comes with at least 1 controller, if you need 2, get another, etc. I can just see the price of them being closer to €100 now.

• Advertisement

PS Now has some games that make use of the analgue face buttons for the DS3, and while you can use either controller it does cause issues when using a DS4.

Can see a few games that will have issues if you used a DS4, but for any multiplat game it already has to work with a controller that's doesn't have the same features on Xbox so they can't be that black/white about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Were there any games on PS4 that utilised the touchpad but something different if it was multiplat?

Were there any games on PS4 that utilised the touchpad but something different if it was multiplat?

The touchpad is used as a big button in most multiplat games and is mapped the same as the view button on Xbox. Which is a button the DS4 doesn't have, as the equivalent space is used by the share button.

Playing GTA recently I noticed I could change radio by swiping up and down and weapon by swiping left and right. On foot that's not much of a benefit for the weapons but in a car you'd normally just have to press square and cycle through while with the touch pad you can go back and forth. In that case I don't think the box had anything and just had X button the cycle through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Varik wrote: »
    The touchpad is used as a big button in most multiplat games and is mapped the same as the view button on Xbox. Which is a button the DS4 doesn't have, as the equivalent space is used by the share button.

Playing GTA recently I noticed I could change radio by swiping up and down and weapon by swiping left and right. On foot that's not much of a benefit for the weapons but in a car you'd normally just have to press square and cycle through while with the touch pad you can go back and forth. In that case I don't think the box had anything and just had X button the cycle through them.

The touchpad is a great feature that most 3rd parties never use. It can effectively work as 5 buttons in one. Ghost of Tsushima is a great example of how to use it. Hopefully it is used a bit more next gen.

Even at the basic side the touchpad is 2 buttons, you'e 2 sides to it left/right and that those are separate inputs. But most 3rd party have to at least try to make the xbox and ps version similar so it's just get treated as a single button to map to the same as view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A "leak" On a French retailer listed and then removed the price. So take it with a giant bucket of salt.

Disk version €499
    Digital version €399

Not a big deal but just seen on Twitter. PlayStation's website has updated to show 360 degree views on their PS5 accessories:

DualSense

Pulse 3D Wireless Headset

Media Remote

HD Camerra

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A "leak" On a French retailer listed and then removed the price. So take it with a giant bucket of salt.

Disk version €499
    Digital version €399

I’ll take the digital at €399 without hesitation if that’s accurate. Even the disk version is pretty good value for those who buy physical copies.

Surely it can’t be that cheap though? Seems a bit too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd say that's exactly what they want you to think.
    bazzz wrote: »
    Not a big deal but just seen on Twitter. PlayStation's website has updated to show 360 degree views on their PS5 accessories:

DualSense

Pulse 3D Wireless Headset

Media Remote

HD Camerra

Hard to say without anything to give proper scale, but the ear cups on the headphones look tiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’ll take the digital at €399 without hesitation if that’s accurate. Even the disk version is pretty good value for those who buy physical copies.

Surely it can’t be that cheap though? Seems a bit too good to be true.

The strategy behind it is the margins are much larger for digital games since the retailer isn’t taking a cut. Also, the fact that digital games are €70 on release vs the €55 or €60 for physical copies.

They’d make their money back faster and you’d be locked into their ecosystem and wouldn’t be able to dip into the used game market.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing what TLOU2 and Ghost looks like on PS5.

I’m saving starting new game + for when the console releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The strategy behind it is the margins are much larger for digital games since the retailer isn’t taking a cut. Also, the fact that digital games are €70 on release vs the €55 or €60 for physical copies.

They’d make their money back faster and you’d be locked into their ecosystem and wouldn’t be able to dip into the used game market.

Suits me since I already don’t bother with the PS4 used game market, haven’t bought a disk of any sort in years and I can’t see that changing.

It should be fairly easy to pick up a digital version on launch day too given that most would probably prefer the option of buying second hand games, which is a nice bonus for digital-only players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Suits me since I already don’t bother with the PS4 used game market, haven’t bought a disk of any sort in years and I can’t see that changing.

Yup, that kind of thing is really only for those on a budget. I got PS4 games for next to nothing thanks to trading in.
    But if I didn't budget my spending on games I'd buy all digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I very rarely trade on games. I like to collect them and GameStop is an hours drive away. But I do hate when I get stung with a game. I bought that animal Crossing on switch for €60 digitally and now I can't even give it away.

I still think I'll get the disk one just to have to option and to play PS4 disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Disk all day as that's how i justify regular purchases, buy, complete, trade. Some exceptions that i know I'll want to keep and get digitally but have been stung as well. Couldn't delete mass effect Andromeda fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Do PS do the 2 hour refund option like steam? 2 hours isn't always enough but it's something.

Do PS do the 2 hour refund option like steam? 2 hours isn't always enough but it's something.

No, if you've not downloaded it yet then the 14 days apply but there has to be something actually broken about it for them to refund.

Sometimes they'll role out the "one time good faith offer" and give a refund but usually not.

It should be fairly easy to pick up a digital version on launch day too given that most would probably prefer the option of buying second hand games, which is a nice bonus for digital-only players.

I’m planning on emigrating in a few years so it’s handy to be able to keep my digital library in tact when I have to sell off my stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It should be fairly easy to pick up a digital version on launch day too

No version of the PS5 is going to be easy to pick up on launch day, especially if the digital one is 399.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

399 has to be far to good of a price. I'd nearly expect both to jump by 100.

Digital all the way for me. Its much better value unless they get rid of gameshare so il wait until that's confirmed.

2nd hand markets depend on a reliance of stock even by having two consoles these will be impacted and cex/gamestop will do as much as possible to keep those profit margins close to now as possible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement