Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd hate to see a repeat of Wiiware where all those games are lost now if it wasn't for internet archivists.

Once again game piracy is here to save the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

If the rumors that Sony have paid $750m for an exclusive timed deal for GTA6, then I do expect the PS5 to be a lot more expensive... and it will sell like hot cakes.
    There are more rumors that Sony have been very aggressive in their approach to timed exclusives this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Looks like the real winners could be PS5 owners who already have a somewhat competent PC to use MS Gamepass on.

Get the PS5 console and play the MS games on PC Gamepass for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If the rumors that Sony have paid $750m for an exclusive timed deal for GTA6, then I do expect the PS5 to be a lot more expensive... and it will sell like hot cakes.
    There are more rumors that Sony have been very aggressive in their approach to timed exclusives this time around.

It looks more like Sony are buying exclusive additional content rather than third-party games or timed exclusives. I seriously doubt either Sony would spend that much money for GTA6 exclusivity, or that Rockstar would take it (because a huge number of people are still going to buy an Xbox anyway and Rockstar aren't going to want to cut them out considering how much they could make of microtransactions from them for the next version of GTA Online). It's far more likely Sony have done a deal for exclusive GTA Online content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't seen that rumour reported anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Looks like the real winners could be PS5 owners who already have a somewhat competent PC to use MS Gamepass on.

Thats its in a nutshell and seemingly MS plan, get people on the cheaper to build model of their platform and say here is all the games you can play for next to nothing and build a significant market share. People now wait for games to appear on free with gold or gamepass, unless its a significant release.

Sony seem to be banking on the significant releases selling the consoles but then the money dries up unless of course your crazy enough to be paying one subscription for a great service and another for a poor one.

The real winner is the consumer is loves gaming as a hobby/ medium, we really are spoiled with MS pretty much flawless method of delivering games and sonys whilst limited but excellent exclusives that make their consoles necessary.

we really get our monies worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

recyclops wrote: »
    Thats its in a nutshell and seemingly MS plan, get people on the cheaper to build model of their platform and say here is all the games you can play for next to nothing and build a significant market share. People now wait for games to appear on free with gold or gamepass, unless its a significant release.

Sony seem to be banking on the significant releases selling the consoles but then the money dries up unless of course your crazy enough to be paying one subscription for a great service and another for a poor one.

The real winner is the consumer is loves gaming as a hobby/ medium, we really are spoiled with MS pretty much flawless method of delivering games and sonys whilst limited but excellent exclusives that make their consoles necessary.

we really get our monies worth.

I wouldn't agree with calling ps plus a poor service. I've had no issues with it and play online regualrly and for €40 a year PS plus is very good value.

This year I've got these four quality games for 'free' that aren't available on xbox.
    • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    I would have spent €20 on Fall Guys alone. And then there's the numerous AAA multi platform titles included too.

For people with limited time, they choose quality games over quantity of games. In that regard there's nothing that entices me towards game pass or an Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I wouldn't agree with calling ps plus a poor service. I've had no issues with it and play online regualrly and for €40 a year PS plus is very good value.

This year I've got these four quality games for 'free' that aren't available on xbox.
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    I would have spent €20 on Fall Guys alone. And then there's the numerous AAA multi platform titles included too.

For people with limited time, they choose quality games over quantity of games. In that regard there's nothing that entices me towards game pass or an Xbox.

I am Ps4 all the way, but suggesting Quality over Quantity in terms of Free games with Ps Plus is just silly, Xbox Game Pass has literally ever 1st party game available from release as well as a huge library of AAA games, they have both quality and quantity. Ps Plus gives you 2 games a month, most of which are that old you more than likely got them 3-4 years ago.

I ain't suggesting Ps Plus is Bad, but I would not call it good either, You combine Game Pass with a PC for instance, 4 quid a month to play anygame without a sub to play them online too, Microsoft wins that hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

• Shadow of the Colossus

its poor in comparison to whats on offer out there and its consistantly playing catch up. right now Gamepass is the bar and they fall short, plus is just games with gold some months good most months bad.

Quality is something that Sony do have which is why they are essential if you like gaming but the Quality games rarely appear on plus until they can be picked up dirt cheap second hand or they appear on PSnow which is also another subscription

I am off the opinion both a ps5 and then whatever iteration of xbox people can get is the best value out there.

If i may offer a differing opinion, NINTENDO have a poor service, PS+ is grand and gamepass is fantastic

• Advertisement

Haven't seen that rumour reported anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Ugh not that fool

So wait, your using some random terrible youtuber with 30k subs as a source? Jesus the world has really gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gibgodsman wrote: »
    So wait, your using some random terrible youtuber with 30k subs as a source? Jesus the world has really gone mad

It amazes me that all you need to be taken seriously as a credible source nowadays is a webcam, a tv with a console OS running in the background and an ikea cabinet filled with cheap junk from special edition game releases

gibgodsman wrote: »

I said "Rumors".

There have been many murmurings about lately with bombshell announcements from Sony about third party exclusive deals, this might be one of them.
    https://wccftech.com/third-party-approached-playstation-5-deals/

I personally couldn't be arsed with GTA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    If i may offer a differing opinion, NINTENDO have a poor service, PS+ is grand and gamepass is fantastic

Nintendo at least is dirt cheap, although if it wasn't for the old games I'd not think it was worth it.

Honestly though, paying to play online while the platform holders advertise to you on their personal storefronts.... It's always been a total rip off considering it's been free on PC since year dot.

Nintendo at least is dirt cheap, although if it wasn't for the old games I'd not think it was worth it.

Honestly though, paying to play online while the platform holders advertise to you on their personal storefronts.... It's always been a total rip off considering it's been free on PC since year dot.

Honestly my main issue with the nintendo service, is while yes it is cheaper than the other 2, it is also far far far far far far worse. No real voice chat, adding people is a chore, online servers are terrible and basically 0 real games given away or any real discounts of note, Nintendo should offer free Online play until they at least have working servers and online voice chat

My big problem with Nintendo was the need to interact with them to get digital games off one 3DS to play it on another. Ridiculously cumbersome system for managing digital games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That’s me at the moment, minus a PS5 obviously ;) PC, Switch and PS4 has every base covered at the moment.

Even booting up GamePass PC last night, was happy to discover the Touryst up there so was playing it within minutes. Has happened a few times recently. It’s great value - the prospect of being able to boot up MS Flight Simulator next week without having to shell out 70 quid can’t be argued with (I’m no sim fan, but goddamn the game looks gorgeous).

The one concern I have with subscription services is both psychological and commercial: as Netflix has shown, it can somewhat weaken the ‘content’ when there’s a need for quantity. There’s already been some rather underwhelming projects from MS’ new first party studios, so you’d hope they’re not cutting corners to just get a steady stream of content. Equally, it’s a model that could potentially allow for the sort of smaller, cheaper experiments that Sony has shied away from - I don’t think GamePass has quite had a breakthrough success in that regard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So Microsoft have announced in the last hour that the XSX will release in November, no specific date. So I'd imagine the PS5 will be around then too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think most people expected November for both.

The whole thing Is like Big Fish where Danny DeVito would give Ewan McGregor a small piece of information each month about a girl he was interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

343 just announced that the new Halo is delayed and won't be a launch title for new Xbox.

That's a big blow to holiday sales

343 just announced that the new Halo is delayed and won't be a launch title for new Xbox.

That's a big blow to holiday sales

I'm not sure if its gonna make much of a difference tbh, I think the Series X will live or die this November on it's price relative to PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its gonna make much of a difference tbh, I think the Series X will live or die this November on it's price relative to PS4

Agreed. Plus Gamepass and Backwards Compatibility (and the general Xmas market) will carry it through. I don't see Halo's delay having that much of an impact.

Still a blow though given it's their big franchise.

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. Plus Gamepass and Backwards Compatibility (and the general Xmas market) will carry it through. I don't see Halo's delay having that much of an impact.

Still a blow though given it's their big franchise.

Yea it will look bad if the PS5 launches with Spider-man and Demon's Souls etc, but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It would want to have a better battery than the DS4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It would want to have a better battery than the DS4!

50% more capacity?

50% more capacity?

Really depends on the power draw though, might be a 50% larger battery, but I have no doubt with all the extra features, 50% extra will be used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So Remedy have announced that Control Ultimate Edition, releasing soon, will include free upgrades to the Next Gen versions.

Talk about pissing all over your existing customer base who bought the game when it first came out, and the DLC that has come since.

In other news, it could be Nov 6th when the Xbox launches, based on some retail leaks from earlier today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement