Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Really depends on the power draw though, might be a 50% larger battery, but I have no doubt with all the extra features, 50% extra will be used

All that haptic feedback has me worried it won’t be a million miles from the DS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Just finished replaying the the last of us remastered - a treat :)

Now I'm wondering would it be worthwhile delaying playing Last of Us 2 until ps5 is released? Spotted mixed reviews, but still looking forward to the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Just finished replaying the the last of us remastered - a treat :)

Now I'm wondering would it be worthwhile delaying playing Last of Us 2 until ps5 is released? Spotted mixed reviews, but still looking forward to the game :)

It’s bound to get a patch, so I’d say wait if you’re willing.

I’m saving starting new game + until the patch comes out. Taking the PS4 Pro as an example, they were very proactive in patching their first party games, so I’d imagine they’ll do the same for recent big releases, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It’s bound to get a patch, so I’d say wait if you’re willing.

I’m saving starting new game + until the patch comes out. Taking the PS4 Pro as an example, they were very proactive in patching their first party games, so I’d imagine they’ll do the same for recent big releases, too.

Yeah I'm doing the same. Saving the second playthrough for the likely PS5 upgrade and I'll try go for the platinum on that playthrough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All that haptic feedback has me worried it won’t be a million miles from the DS4.

Normal vibration uses a unbalanced weight and a motor that are pretty big compared to the rest of the controller and for anyone who used the six axis you'd know how heavy they are when comparing the DS3 to the sixaxis, while haptic feedback uses a rather tiny mass that's moved linearly back and forth (LRA) rather than spun. They're tiny compared to a old unbalanced rotating mass (ERM).

LRA use less power between 1/2 and 1/3 depending on what you're doing, and can produce twice the gs at 1/2 the cost per g and due to wider frequency allowed you can get a single one to do more. They Joycon's each have only 1 and those can each do a lot.

Increase in build cost but huge energy saving. The biggest power drain for the DS4 was always the touch panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I found it unusual when I opened up an old PS4 controller that was having drift, and the left side had 4 weights while the right had 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I found it unusual when I opened up an old PS4 controller that was having drift, and the left side had 4 weights while the right had 1.

I think it's been like that since the original playstation, the two different weighted motors work together to make a large valiance in the level of vibration possible. The xbox uses the same system.

D2UjaDgs3XDWjFlP.medium

It's the bit covered by the white tape at the bottom of each, tiny compared to the rumble motors and weights in the dualshocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's always been like that, in any "vibration" controller since the DualShock and across most platforms - PS, Xbox, PC and whatnot. At times it was different numbers of weights, other timed different shapes and different motors etc.

Oversimplifying, one of the rumblers produces a slower, higher amplitude vibration which feels stronger (e.g. hits, falls, impacts), while the other has a higher speed, lower amplitude one (e.g. car running over a kerb, machinegun fire). Combining various degrees of the two, the devs can obtain a multitude of different effects depending on situation, game etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

To be taken with a massive bag of salt, but rumours that there will be a "phenomenal PS5 event" which will feature a hardware teardown, backwards compatability, exclusive reveals and the price/date reveal. Suggesting that it is either late August or early September for a reveal, with a specific date of August 20th mentioned, however both leakers have some dodgy history with PS related rumours.

Linky

In fairness, it can't be much later than the rumoured dates, so that would be a good guess by anyone. With MS announcing the release month for XSX, and some event called "August Xboxing Day", I'd imagine Sony will wait for that and then release their most likely already prepared event soon thereafter.

Just get on with it lads!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well with Microsoft saying it will be a November release, most likely to hit before Black Friday, I'd say Sony will have to release around the same time.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well with Microsoft saying it will be a November release, most likely to hit before Black Friday, I'd say Sony will have to release around the same time.

Probably the same as last time. PS4 released 2 weeks after XB1 if I remember right, both in November, both before Black Friday.

So if Xbox went Nov 6th, PS5 maybe Nov 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'd say within 2 weeks of each other as before.
    Not long to go now anyway

Just get on with it lads!

This! I'm sick of this game they are playing, I need to know how much it will cost, when it's out and what I can play on it Day 1. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Penn wrote: »
    Probably the same as last time. PS4 released 2 weeks after XB1 if I remember right, both in November, both before Black Friday.

So if Xbox went Nov 6th, PS5 maybe Nov 20th.

IIRC it was:

PS4 US release
    XB1 Tier 1 release
    PS4 Tier 1 release

All a week apart That extra two week wait for PS4 was a right pain in the arse
    This! I'm sick of this game they are playing, I need to know how much it will cost, when it's out and what I can play on it Day 1. That is all.

Yea its getting ridiculous, you can blame covid to an extent, but these consoles are coming out in 10 weeks or so and we still know almost nothing about release. FFS MS has an entire console that they still haven't announced.

Markitron wrote: »
    IIRC it was:

PS4 US release
    XB1 Tier 1 release
    PS4 Tier 1 release

All a week apart That extra two week wait for PS4 was a right pain in the arse

Couldn't remember if it was one week or two between the XB1 and PS4. All I remember was the sh*tshow with Xtravision and the XB1 release, forcing people to buy an extra game or controller at release or they'd put them to the back of the queue in terms of pre-orders. Thankfully the reception to that forced them to not do it for the PS4 release (plus they refunded anyone forced to buy the extra things for the XB1).

I was really glad XB1 released first in that instance.

Couldn't remember if it was one week or two between the XB1 and PS4. All I remember was the sh*tshow with Xtravision and the XB1 release, forcing people to buy an extra game or controller at release or they'd put them to the back of the queue in terms of pre-orders. Thankfully the reception to that forced them to not do it for the PS4 release (plus they refunded anyone forced to buy the extra things for the XB1).

I was really glad XB1 released first in that instance.

Oh **** I forgot about that, what an unbelievably ****ty thing to do, especially to the kids who had to save for it and couldn't afford the extras.

Job losses were ****e and all but any company that pulls that **** deserves to go under.

Oh **** I forgot about that, what an unbelievably ****ty thing to do, especially to the kids who had to save for it and couldn't afford the extras.

Job losses were ****e and all but any company that pulls that **** deserves to go under.

Yeah I loved going in to Xtravision before that. They were always my go-to for dvds & games. Mate worked in one for a while so hung about in there a lot. Once that happened though I think the PS4 was the last bit of money I ever spent in one, and bar the innocent folk who had to enforce that rule and then lost jobs when company went under, wasn't that sad to see them go.

Yeah I loved going in to Xtravision before that. They were always my go-to for dvds & games. Mate worked in one for a while so hung about in there a lot. Once that happened though I think the PS4 was the last bit of money I ever spent in one, and bar the innocent folk who had to enforce that rule and then lost jobs when company went under, wasn't that sad to see them go.

Just reminded myself of it there, the absolute cheek of them

https://www.thejournal.ie/xtra-vision-xbox-1191845-Nov2013/

Just reminded myself of it there, the absolute cheek of them

https://www.thejournal.ie/xtra-vision-xbox-1191845-Nov2013/

Yeah. Even those who pre-ordered another game with it already were told they still had to buy another one or a controller. Basically no matter what you pre-ordered, buy something else with it or back of the queue for you.

Think they even tried claiming the direction came from Microsoft themselves (even though no other stores were doing it and they were planning on doing the same for the PS4) before they had to backtrack, give refunds (even on opened games/controllers) and promise not to do the same for PS4. Again, felt sorry for the staff who were forced into having to try enforce that rule, knowing how sh*tty it was and the reactions they likely faced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everyone except smyths did the same for the PS3, XBox 360 and Wii launch. Had to buy an accessories bundle and at least 3 games and an extra joypad if you wanted the console. Gamestop and Game were in on it as well.

No more need to replace thermal compound apparently and no chance of being able to either, at least according to a patent that's making the rounds.

Sony looks to be using liquid metal instead of any thermal paste/grease, and using a UV resin to seal around the APU to stop it going anywhere is shouldn't (which is everywhere else).

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020162417&tab=FULLTEXT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is that confirmed for PS5 though?

That could be for a Pro version down the line.

Although I have been wondering how they plan to keep the gpu in anyway cool with it running up to 2.2Ghz,thats a high clockspeed for even a desktop GPU

EoinHef wrote: »

Although I have been wondering how they plan to keep the gpu in anyway cool with it running up to 2.2Ghz,thats a high clockspeed for even a desktop GPU

Nothing is confirmed yet for the cooling or any of the internals except for what was shown about the storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Been chucking money off my preorder for months now, just a interesting interaction there over the weekend, apparently gamestop do have a limit on how much you can put off it :D They won't take more than €500 for the console, anything else you put against it will be allocated to games/peripherals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

RedXIV wrote: »
    Been chucking money off my preorder for months now, just a interesting interaction there over the weekend, apparently gamestop do have a limit on how much you can put off it :D They won't take more than €500 for the console, anything else you put against it will be allocated to games/peripherals
    I haven't been able to get to the GameStop I pre ordered on as in town. I asked in the local one near me can I pay them there against the pre order in other store I have it ordered in but you can't. Bit silly you can't especially in this environment that they don't have that set up that you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

EoinHef wrote: »

Well considering how absolutely huge the PS5 is, and that you can cram a top-end CPU and GPU in the space of a laptop, I'd assume the remainder of the space in the console will be cooling? Just imagine the possibilities!

Now I'm joking, but only half so...they have the space to potentially put a much bigger heatsink in there than you find even on a RTX 2080Ti. Will it be "silent enough", that's a different story :/

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Well considering how absolutely huge the PS5 is, and that you can cram a top-end CPU and GPU in the space of a laptop, I'd assume the remainder of the space in the console will be cooling? Just imagine the possibilities!

Now I'm joking, but only half so...they have the space to potentially put a much bigger heatsink in there than you find even on a RTX 2080Ti. Will it be "silent enough", that's a different story :/

The XB1X was relatively small and almost completely silent, they have no excuses this time

The XB1X was relatively small and almost completely silent, they have no excuses this time

Yeah considering how big an issue it was for many with the PS4, they have to nail it this time.

• Advertisement

XB1X uses a vapour chamber in it's heat sink while the PS4 Pro does not, that's a pretty big difference and one that both consoles likely won't have for this generation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement