Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Varik wrote: »
    XB1X uses a vapour chamber in it's heat sink while the PS4 Pro does not, that's a pretty big difference and one that both consoles likely won't have for this generation.

I wasn't referring to the specific tech used, just that as far as I am concerned the level of noise in the 1X is now the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Pretty astonishing that this will likely be released in 12 weeks and we have absolutely no critical info. Hope not but presume its going to be a disaster trying to get hold of one of these on launch day. Have holidays from work set aside for it but thinking i may be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

Pretty astonishing that this will likely be released in 12 weeks and we have absolutely no critical info. Hope not but presume its going to be a disaster trying to get hold of one of these on launch day. Have holidays from work set aside for it but thinking i may be dissapointed.

Production has been increased by 50% as of July 15th apparently. Originally they intended 6 million for the first year but now they want to reach 10 million. Hopefully this means getting one on launch day is easy doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

ther is obviously huge issues in the background on Xbox and Sony. both parties holding off to see what the other announces. . . . IF one side cracks and calls a release delay...will the other one press on and try to capitalise ( regardless of manufacturing issues with covid etc) or will they breath out and take the time they also need to delay too.
    Madness that we have so little information this close.
    Especially with the whole preorder debacle spoken about earlier in thread.

Yea its definitely unprecedented. As far as availability goes, it should be straightforward enough to pre-order one. Obviously you won't be able to walk in on launch day and grab one off the shelf, but that's the case with most console launches nowadays.
    Parsnips wrote: »
    ther is obviously huge issues in the background on Xbox and Sony. both parties holding off to see what the other announces. . . . IF one side cracks and calls a release delay...will the other one press on and try to capitalise ( regardless of manufacturing issues with covid etc) or will they breath out and take the time they also need to delay too.
    Madness that we have so little information this close.
    Especially with the whole preorder debacle spoken about earlier in thread.

I can't see either delaying at this point, even if there is barely any units at launch.

• Advertisement

First PS5 ad has accidentally been posted on the Hungarian PS channel, already removed but mirror below. Pricing/release info has to be coming soon.

https://streamable.com/jbymq5

Can someone tell me how to embed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Markitron wrote: »
    First PS5 ad has accidentally been posted on the Hungarian PS channel, already removed but mirror below. Pricing/release info has to be coming soon.

Great ad, but a huge blunder by them. Hopefully we get a shadow drop this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Great ad, but a huge blunder by them. Hopefully we get a shadow drop this evening

Sony have officially released the advert via their Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1296432001201963009?s=20

The meeting this morning probably just boiled down to '**** it, everyone has seen it so just release it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

The meeting this morning probably just boiled down to '**** it, everyone has seen it so just release it'.

Probably something like that. But I'd imagine it was ready to go live today or
    soon, seeing it was available and posted early.
    Anyway I think we'll be seeing much more soon. Logically they'll have to get the wheels in motion. If there's going to be a November release.
    I suppose the wheels are realistically in motion already, seeing so many people
    are and have been debating pricing, model specs and the eventual release.
    Since Mark Cerny held the tech talk back in March.

• Advertisement

bazzz wrote: »
    Probably something like that. But I'd imagine it was ready to go live today or
    soon, seeing it was available and posted early.
    Anyway I think we'll be seeing much more soon. Logically they'll have to get the wheels in motion. If there's going to be a November release.
    I suppose the wheels are realistically in motion already, seeing so many people
    are and have been debating pricing, model specs and the eventual release.
    Since Mark Cerny held the tech talk back in March.

They have successfully whipped everyone into a pre-order frenzy, this thing is gonna be sold out months before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

They have successfully whipped everyone into a pre-order frenzy

Can't say I'm whipped into a frenzy. I'll probably pick one up mid next year because at this stage, there'll be almost nothing next gen to play on it before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't say I'm whipped into a frenzy. I'll probably pick one up mid next year because at this stage, there'll be almost nothing next gen to play on it before then.

If it wasn't for backwards compatibility and free upgrades to PS5 versions of games, I'd.... Ah let's face it, I'd buy one at launch anyway even if the only game was 'Live Free or Knack Hard' :D

Penn wrote: »
    If it wasn't for backwards compatibility and free upgrades to PS5 versions of games, I'd.... Ah let's face it, I'd buy one at launch anyway even if the only game was 'Live Free or Knack Hard' :D

I have said this before but a launch consisting of Demon's Souls, R&C and Spiderman, when combined with next gen versions of AC and Cyberpunk, would make it probably the best launch since the N64 (for me obviously). I am very much looking forward to it. I might get the Avengers at launch too if it doesn't turn into a big pile of destiny ****e (which it almost certainly will).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Do you really think Insomniac will manage to have both Miles Morales and R&C ready for launch? That seems highly unlikely to me.

Do you really think Insomniac will manage to have both Miles Morales and R&C ready for launch? That seems highly unlikely to me.

They are a big studio used to working on multiple games and Spiderman is basically a jumped-up expansion, so its not outside the realms of possibility. The fact that, like Demon's Souls, they didn't put a year on that trailer/demo is what makes me believe its a possibility.

They are a big studio used to working on multiple games and Spiderman is basically a jumped-up expansion, so its not outside the realms of possibility. The fact that, like Demon's Souls, they didn't put a year on that trailer/demo is what makes me believe its a possibility.

Would love Demon's Souls to be a launch title. I'm also trying to save Ghost of Tsushima to play on PS5 even just if it's slightly upscaled.

Confirmation that PS5 will launch this year (Eric Lempel, SVP and head of global marketing at Sony Interactive Entertainment)
    "It's a massive challenge on every front," says Eric Lempel, SVP and head of global marketing at Sony Interactive Entertainment. "Not just for the parts of the organisation that I oversee, but for all parts of the organisation. The nice thing is that we're pulling it together. We will launch this year -- that will happen -- and from my end we will absolutely make sure that we will bring all of the magic and all of the excitement of launches that we have had in the past.

"We are still committed to doing that. It's more challenging than ever, but our gamers expect a lot from us. It's a chance to celebrate the beginning of a new generation. This spot kicks off PlayStation 5 marketing efforts, and this is just the beginning. So you can see this as the initial entry. Hopefully it looks high quality, hopefully it captures the imagination of the viewer, and from here, it just gets bigger and better."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-08-20-playstation-launching-a-console-during-a-pandemic-is-a-massive-challenge-on-every-front

Also:
    "Once you get beyond all of the features of the PlayStation 5, which makes it a true next-generation product, It's about the content," Lempel concludes. "The content that will be in the launch window and beyond is incredibly exciting. I would say that this is the best line-up that we've ever seen in the history of PlayStation, between our Worldwide Studios groups and our partners from all the different publishers around the world. We've revealed some of that content, and naturally there will be more to come, but the way that the developers can engage with this platform, and create these new experiences with known IP as well as unknown IP, is incredibly exciting."

I say some headlines on Twitter quoting this to mean he was saying they'd have the best launch line-up in the history of Playstation, but he does add that caveat of "launch window and beyond" so still remains to be seen what will be a launch title and what won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I get the impression that Miles Morales is more like an expansion walled off for PS5. There is no way they made a full AAA standalone game in 2 years since Spider-man launched. I'd say it will be just be a few hours long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I think they could definitely do it. They've already said that Miles Morales isn't a full AAA game, It's akin to Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Short and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Also read there that the Spidey Sense in Miles Morales will be built into the Dual Sense - you'll get haptic feedback from the direction an attack is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

shrewdness wrote: »
    Also read there that the Spidey Sense in Miles Morales will be built into the Dual Sense - you'll get haptic feedback from the direction an attack is coming from

Now that's class! I pray for my ds5 battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

“The haptic feedback precision allows us to do all sorts of new things. In Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, we’ll be hinting to players which direction attacks are coming from by providing haptic feedback from the appropriate direction on the DualSense wireless controller. What does it feel like to use Miles’s stealth ability? How does a Venom Blast feel? Because of the high resolution of DualSense wireless controller’s haptics system, we can really push the dimensionality of the feedback. For instance, as you hold down Square to do a Venom Punch, you feel Spider-Man’s bio-electricity crackle across from the left side of the controller, culminating in the right side on impact.”
    Brian Horton // Creative Director, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    With the DualSense wireless controller and the power of haptics, we can make the combat [in Demon’s Souls] feel grittier, darker, and deadlier. Now you feel every blow as you strike down your enemies and cast each spell. You’ll experience the force of a titanic boss’ attack as you pull off a well-timed guard. Metal strikes metal when your foes block your attacks or you block theirs. That extra sensory feedback through the controller allows you to know your attack hit home and your perfectly-timed parry was a success, so you can react faster and more decisively.

We can also turn the simple act of pulling a lever to open a gate into a sensory experience. This is something that rumble could never do. It could never replicate the feeling of metal striking metal or fire crackling in your hand as you conjure magic. Haptics [are] integral to the experience, to immersing the player in the world and adding to the gameplay. The visual, aural, and tactile working together takes this new generation of gaming into the future. —
    Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio
    The adaptive triggers are something we’re excited to feature [in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart]! For instance, the Enforcer is a dual-barreled shotgun type weapon. As you pull the trigger, you’ll fire from one barrel, and you can feel resistance around halfway down the trigger. Need a bigger blast? Pull the trigger through that resistance point and you’ll fire both barrels at the same time. — Marcus Smith // Creative Director, Insomniac Games
    I think the effective use of the adaptive trigger [in Gran Turismo 7] is for representing the operation of the antilock brake system (ABS) while braking. A typical ABS releases brake pressure intermittently while the driver applies pressure to the pedal. The adaptive trigger is suited for recreating this pedal feel, and it will allow the player to accurately feel and understand the relationship between the braking force they want and the tire’s grip.

Compared to the rumble force feedback we had in the past, the special character of the haptic feedback is that it has a bigger range of frequencies it can produce.

What this means, is that sound design and tactile design can be handled in a continuous, integrated manner. — Kazunori Yamauchi // President, Polyphony Digital

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/20/presenting-playstations-first-global-ad-spot-showcasing-key-immersive-features-for-the-ps5-console-generation/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was already on the hype train. Reading about the haptic features is pushing me to upgrade my ticket to first class hype train. Say what ye want, but I'm pure excited for this. The tidbits of info are slowly coming, a proper announcement is imminent. Choo choo muddafukkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

I was already on the hype train. Reading about the haptic features is pushing me to upgrade my ticket to first class hype train. Say what ye want, but I'm pure excited for this. The tidbits of info are slowly coming, a proper announcement is imminent. Choo choo muddafukkers!

:-)

I really hope the 3rd parties take advantage of it past the launch window. The DS4's touchpad and XB1's impulse triggers were woefully underused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really hope the 3rd parties take advantage of it past the launch window. The DS4's touchpad and XB1's impulse triggers were woefully underused.

I'm going to file it under the Switches HD rumble and the PS2 pressure sensitive buttons in the gimmick category that rarely gets used.

I'm sure sony first parties will use it. I was shocked that the Last of Us 2 was still using gimmicky motion controls in sections.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm going to file it under the Switches HD rumble and the PS2 pressure sensitive buttons in the gimmick category that rarely gets used.

I'm sure sony first parties will use it. I was shocked that the Last of Us 2 was still using gimmicky motion controls in sections.

Do Nintendo games even use HD rumble? I think I have played most of their major releases on Switch and can't remember noticing it. I know 1-2 Switch did but I don't think its fair on anyone in the industry to refer to that as a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do Nintendo games even use HD rumble? I think I have played most of their major releases on Switch and can't remember noticing it. I know 1-2 Switch did but I don't think its fair on anyone in the industry to refer to that as a game.

It was definitely in 1-2 Switch. The ball counting game was actually really good and it's in a few indie games. I works really well but doesn't really make too much of a difference to games really.

It will just be better rumble but less power consumption like on the Switch.

Then again Sony did say rumble was a last gen feature back when the PS3 was about to launch :D:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement