Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Quick question - Historically with PS Console new releases is it usually the case that some time after the initial console release there's a hardware revision that eliminates some of the launch consoles bugs - Stuff like power consumption, cooling revisions, noise issues or whatever else...?

Not trying to be dramatic or make any huge point - Just wondering if the people who wait and buy the PS5 mark II are better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Quick question - Historically with PS Console new releases is it usually the case that some time after the initial console release there's a hardware revision that eliminates some of the launch consoles bugs - Stuff like power consumption, cooling revisions, noise issues or whatever else...?

Not trying to be dramatic or make any huge point - Just wondering if the people who wait and buy the PS5 mark II are better off?

I mean yea probably, but where do you draw the line? The original PS4 only got one notable revision before the slim/pro and even that took almost 2 years IIRC. That's a long time to wait for minor changes to the power consumption and/or weight. Even in that case I think the console looked better with the original shiny panel.

The PS3 was a completely different story, as the 2008 revision was a 100% downgrade to cut the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Markitron wrote: »
    I mean yea probably, but where do you draw the line? The original PS4 only got one notable revision before the slim/pro and even that took almost 2 years IIRC. That's a long time to wait for minor changes to the power consumption and/or weight. Even in that case I think the console looked better with the original shiny panel.

The PS3 was a completely different story, as the 2008 revision was a 100% downgrade to cut the cost.

Yeah.......For me I'd wait 6 months, maybe a year for settled hardware with no niggles....... but not 2 years..........

Especially if its that crappy window where the serious next-gen games just haven't been released yet and there's the only usual placeholder games that have been rushed onto the market just so the shelves aren't bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just got a PS5 promo mail from PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just got a PS5 promo mail from PlayStation.

Yeah i foolishly opened thinking it might have the price or release date :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Got the same thing meself all I could think was FFS this email would have been exactly the kinda thing that should have came with a price and date at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

How many USB ports will the console have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    How many USB ports will the console have?

We only know about the single USB A and a single USB C on the front, no one has said anything else or shown the rear io.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Don’t know if it’s been said or not but my girlfriend pre ordered it in GameStop. You have to put money off as they won’t be selling them without a pre order

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

BSK wrote: »
    Don’t know if it’s been said or not but my girlfriend pre ordered it in GameStop. You have to put money off as they won’t be selling them without a pre order

Yeah they have been doing it for a while, I think its €50 minimum for preorder. I'm not pre-ordering anywhere until price and date announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is there any half decent online games that haven't already been released on ps4 coming to ps5 on launch?

Read that ps5 has the best lineup for launch, but am struggling to see how it could beat the PS3 launch titles with Resistance and Motorstorm

Maybe they're taking a leaf out of Microsoft's book and counting all the BC games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The official launch line-up hasn't been revealed, and there are rumours there's a big title still to be announced.

Knack 3?

Too soon for a new game from the Uncharted team?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Knack 3?

Too soon for a new game from the Uncharted team?

Haha! Knack 3! Bring it. :pac:

No idea about Naughty Dog and their set-up. Do they have three distinct teams who don't work on other teams' games?

The rumour I read most often (which only makes it popular, rather than true) was that there'd be a GOW announcement, but I just can't see that being ready for launch, unless it's a remaster or something.

Uncharted was May 2016, DLC wouldn't have required the same manpower so they've been doing something for the last 4 years.

They've had 2 teams since the original last of us.

There's also the long rumoured Bloodborne 2. Though maybe won't see that with Eldin Ring still in the works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is there any half decent online games that haven't already been released on ps4 coming to ps5 on launch?

Read that ps5 has the best lineup for launch, but am struggling to see how it could beat the PS3 launch titles with Resistance and Motorstorm

But... the PS3 launch was awful? Resistance was mediocre and motorstorm was only OK. Well it was bad by standards at the time, it's actually an OK launch for modern times as they've been so bad. Do people not remember the Dreamcast and PSP launches. They are the ones to beat for best ever launch. PS5 unless there's some Mario 64 level launch title we don't know about isn't looking to be anything but meh at best.

Unless of course Knack 3 is the big surprise.

Varik wrote: »
    Uncharted was May 2016, DLC wouldn't have required the same manpower so they've been doing something for the last 4 years.

They've had 2 teams since the original last of us.

I think they combined back into 1 team for TLOU 2, they may have started pre production on something towards the end of development, but I am not expecting anything from them for at least 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

The lack of pricing and release date along with the inability to preorder with a reliable retailer ( not you gamestop ) is really frustrating.

Ive a terrible feeling we are looking at serious shortages and price gouging like the Wii a few years back. I remember the Panic in Parents eyes that santa wouldnt provide little Johnny ( or Jane) with his present and then being made to accept extrotionate bundles or lose out to the next in line.

also....Does anyone know how the backward compatibilty will work. I assume it will be for Digital only and discs will be unreadable.

• Advertisement

I'd assume If a game is supported by bc it'll work on disc. If it was know to be otherwise you'd probably hear about it there'd be a lot of noise from people.

Will be curious how licensing will work will you have a primary ps4 and a primary ps5, or only a single primary system per account.

Parsnips wrote: »
    The lack of pricing and release date along with the inability to preorder with a reliable retailer ( not you gamestop ) is really frustrating.

Ive a terrible feeling we are looking at serious shortages and price gouging like the Wii a few years back. I remember the Panic in Parents eyes that santa wouldnt provide little Johnny ( or Jane) with his present and then being made to accept extrotionate bundles or lose out to the next in line.

also....Does anyone know how the backward compatibilty will work. I assume it will be for Digital only and discs will be unreadable.

It should be able to read the disc as if it was a PS4 disc, worst case scenario is that you insert the PS4 disc and it downloads a digitial PS4 copy to your PS5, which you would need the disc in the console to play.

Oh and it will 100% be a ****show getting this on release without a pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

yeah its going be insane, my plan is just order from amazon and it ships when it ships, I can imagine they will be getting them in like crazy anyway

recyclops wrote: »
    yeah its going be insane, my plan is just order from amazon and it ships when it ships, I can imagine they will be getting them in like crazy anyway

They will be making plenty of them, I would expect anyone that pre-orders in decent time will get one. The people walking into smyths at 4pm on release day are gonna be **** out of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I will only pre order with Smyths but will do so as soon as I can, No idea why anyone would put down money with gamestop they could of closed any day before covid I can only imagine its way way worse now. Plus smyths have never ever let me down. The last time I used gamestop was for PSVR launch and they tried to pull a fast one and tell me that they sold my PSVR in error even after ringing to to call in an collect as it was ready for me, when in fact it was in the back of the store all along as one of the staff was trying to keep it for themselves, luckily the manager walked into the shop as I was having a full blown argument about selling my reserved console and sorted it for me.

I will only pre order with Smyths but will do so as soon as I can, No idea why anyone would put down money with gamestop they could of closed any day before covid I can only imagine its way way worse now. Plus smyths have never ever let me down. The last time I used gamestop was for PSVR launch and they tried to pull a fast one and tell me that they sold my PSVR in error even after ringing to to call in an collect as it was ready for me, when in fact it was in the back of the store all along as one of the staff was trying to keep it for themselves, luckily the manager walked into the shop as I was having a full blown argument about selling my reserved console and sorted it for me.

It is the fact that they are asking an extortionate 50 quid before pre-orders are even officially open that is putting me off them.

Parsnips wrote: »

Seeing as the Series X is apparently going to launch at $600 then i think it's safe to say that the PS5 will have a similar price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Seeing as the Series X is apparently going to launch at $600 then i think it's safe to say that the PS5 will have a similar price tag.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-prices-and-dates-just-leaked-but-were-not-buying-it?utm_source=notification

According to this its closer to 499

I don't know if I would take that XSX price as gospel yet, but yea these consoles are going to be the same price either way. I have always maintained they will both be 500, I think it just remains to be seen just how much cheaper the 'cheap' consoles are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Markitron wrote: »
    I don't know if I would take that XSX price as gospel yet, but yea these consoles are going to be the same price either way. I have always maintained they will both be 500, I think it just remains to be seen just how much cheaper the 'cheap' consoles are.

Digital Foundry have mentioned a few times now in videos about the costs of individual components in the PS5 and XBSX and how they feel both will be quite expensive compared to previous gens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement