Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In case anyone doesn't want to watch it, it's for the Sony
    Toio
    . Still wouldn't mind the swappable SSD's for the 5...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not sure it's the first game with a release date/window but it's the first I've seen.

Didn't notice at the time but that Godfall game is PS5 only and coming late 2020. So might be a launch game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Varik wrote: »
    Not sure it's the first game with a release date/window but it's the first I've seen.

Didn't notice at the time but that Godfall game is PS5 only and coming late 2020. So might be a launch game.

It's a game for PC that will also be launched on PS5. I wouldn't look into it too much as it looks very generic.

Now that the fantastic Senua demo for Xbox is out, Sony will have to come out swinging soon. I can't wait to see what they have as talk behind the scenes is that Sony are ahead:pac:

Let the games begin !

It's a game for PC that will also be launched on PS5. I wouldn't look into it too much as it looks very generic.

Now that the fantastic Senua demo for Xbox is out, Sony will have to come out swinging soon. I can't wait to see what they have as talk behind the scenes is that Sony are ahead:pac:

Let the games begin !

All I'm saying is we've got our first potential launch game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any further details on backwards compatibility? I mean I think it's a given that your PS4 library will carry over but what about the PS3? If you could download and play your PS3 games on it, I think that would be a clincher for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Any further details on backwards compatibility? I mean I think it's a given that your PS4 library will carry over but what about the PS3? If you could download and play your PS3 games on it, I think that would be a clincher for me.

Same there’s so many PS3 games I’d love to replay but I’m not buying a PS3 just to replay them, would make PS5 a day 1 purchase for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

There definitely was talk about supporting PS4 games and I think Mark Cerny said somewhere along the line that he wanted to support the ability to play any generation of PS game on the PS5, so your ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 games would all work with the PS5 also. I'd imagine there's a ton of work needed for emulating the PS3 since it's got such funky architecture to work with, but thanks to advances in computing power and cheaper power available to work with, certainly possible to do?

EDIT: It was this link I remember reading that talks about a patent from Cerny to allow backwards compatbility Linky Linky

Backwards compatibility is the bottom of the list for me. Just give me better looking, smoother games with no noise.

I will buy regardless but if it had backward compatibility that would be a real nice to have! Next time I fly back to Ireland I will bring an extra carry on and raid my attic.

Im sure it would end up with me turning the like of Gran Turismo 2 or 3, Jonah Lomu rugby or MGS II on and pay for 5 mins and then never play them again but I would like the option:D

Same architecture, and apparently same OpenGL based API libraries. So not having BC to PS4 is a conscious choice for the most part. If they go the MS route and promise 100% compatibility that's a bigger ask, as there's bound to be some hickups somewhere but 99% should be easily doable.

As for PS3, there's no more Cell/RSX/XDR being produced the last of which all went into those PS3 server racks for PS now. Sony already have a PS3 emulators that's been used on some of the remastered PS3 games on PS4. In their interest to move away form proprietary hardware, especially with the MS azure partnership.

• Advertisement

My expectation is that i'll be PS4 only.

Technically I have no doubt they could do it if they wanted - they have the resources and know-how etc. But I think they'd look at the work involved and then ask whether it sells any more units. The answer is probably no.

A lot of what Microsoft has done - to their credit some really amazing stuff with 360 uprezzing and so-forth - is because they were on the back foot and desperately in need of a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

My expectation is that i'll be PS4 only.

Technically I have no doubt they could do it if they wanted - they have the resources and know-how etc. But I think they'd look at the work involved and then ask whether it sells any more units. The answer is probably no.

A lot of what Microsoft has done - to their credit some really amazing stuff with 360 uprezzing and so-forth - is because they were on the back foot and desperately in need of a selling point.

The distant future is streaming, and you can’t bank on producing cell processors to play PS3 games forever, so sooner or later they’ll have to just emulate PS3 games to keep them around.

I hope that starts to happen on a title by title basis with the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The distant future is streaming, and you can’t bank on producing cell processors to play PS3 games forever, so sooner or later they’ll have to just emulate PS3 games to keep them around.

I hope that starts to happen on a title by title basis with the PS5.

There are PS3 emulators out there, I know that much. Not sure the quality level etc but they do exist. And considering that the classic versions of old consoles, produced by the likes of Sony and Nintendo are using third party, open source emulators, I'd say they are not against using them in home consoles either if it makes their lives easier.

I think unless that from a business persepective, while it's trickier to build an emulator of a system than port a game from one console to another, the return on Investment is exponentially larger as you offer a generation of games vs a single game. And ultimately, nostalgia is being heavily identified as a selling point, on every system. PS1 classics are doing very well, PS2 not so much tbh. Seems like a way to open up the number of potential purchases per console and being honest, it'd garner good support from player base that the digital games you bought for PS3 and PS4 all work on PS5.

If they ever announce some big update to PS3 games on PS Now, such as higher quality rendering or new AA/AF options then you know they've moved to emulating on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Nothing new at CES, they showed the logo and it looks as you'd expect with same ps font.

Rest was just repeat of what's been said already.

Nothing new at CES, they showed the logo and it looks as you'd expect with same ps font.

Yup!

sony-ces-2020-065.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Alot of rumours going around that it will be launched on 12th February.

Sidford wrote: »
    Alot of rumours going around that it will be launched on 12th February.

You mean revealed?

You mean revealed?

Keep seeing articles making the same claim, and then when you read them they mean announced/revealed.

Clickbait titles, and a reason to block said sources from my feeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What kind of reveal do you think they'll give? Full details of what it'll do? Launch games? Price?

For me, one thing I would like to know is details of backwards compatibility

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What kind of reveal do you think they'll give? Full details of what it'll do? Launch games? Price?

If we hear nothing about it then its safe to assume we aint getting full backwards compatability, i think PS4 is guaranteed

Keep seeing articles making the same claim, and then when you read them they mean announced/revealed.

Clickbait titles, and a reason to block said sources from my feeds.

It’s ridiculous when they’ve officially stated it’s coming Christmas 2020

CastorTroy wrote: »

It's probably a bit early for Sony to commit to a price because currencies can fluctuate a lot in 10 months, and other unforeseen/unpredictable factors. PS4 had it's price revealed in June and launch dates were pinned down in August.

Who knows though. Their strategy thus far has been unusual, those Wired articles popped up all of a sudden (on a Tues or something) with tonnes of freely divulged info. We know a surprising amount already.

I'd say they're wary of Microsoft looking for a way to have wee digs at them after Sony did it with the PS4/Xbox one reveals, like the game sharing video. But someone has to go first.

I expect this from MS from their whole unified 1 Xbox thing, but all I really want to know is that will PS5/4 games be cross buy for any cross gen games.

I expect this from MS from their whole unified 1 Xbox thing, but all I really want to know is that will PS5/4 games be cross buy for any cross gen games.

Very doubtful I reckon. At best, I think you'll have an 'upgrade' option, where you pay €10 or €20 to get the next gen version, instead of full retail price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

is demon souls definitely coming out for it or is it just a rumour ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    is demon souls definitely coming out for it or is it just a rumour ?

Not confirmed, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

If the conference happens next week as rumoured, what time would it likely happen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement