Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

From the FAQs
    Who will be selected to receive an invitation?
    Our selection is based on previous interests and PlayStation activities.

When will I know if I’ve been selected or not?
    If you are selected, we will contact you via email before pre-orders start. If you do not receive an email, you were not selected.

If I receive an invitation, am I guaranteed to be able to pre-order a PS5 console?
    No. Each invitation is open for a limited time and quantities are limited per PSN ID per transaction:
    1 PS5 Console or 1 PS5 Digital Edition
    2 DualSense wireless controllers
    2 DualSense charging stations
    2 Pulse 3D wireless headsets
    2 Media remotes
    2 HD Cameras
    PS5 console pre-order reservations will be first come first serve.

In order to pre-order, do I have to pre-order everything?
    No. As long as your product selection falls within unit limits, you may pre-order as many or as few products as you’d like.

How long will I have to make a PS5 console pre-order reservation?
    If selected, the expiration date and time will be included in your selection notification email and while supplies last.

Can I reserve more than one PS5 console pre-order?
    Due to limited quantities and high demand, we will be limiting PS5 console pre-order reservations to 1 per PSN ID.

Will other PS5 products be available for pre-order?
    Yes. Although these will be open to the general public for pre-order, only PS5 console reservations will be limited to those invited to pre-order.

What if I receive a “Sold Out” message?
    All available PS5 consoles have been reserved.

I currently reside outside the US. If invited, can I still make a PS5 console pre-order reservation?
    If you receive an invite and units are still available, as long as you ship to a US based address, your pre-order reservation will be allowed.
    Any orders that contain a non-US based address will be cancelled.

Judging by this it looks like very limited supply at launch.

I would get your pre pre order in with Smyths/GS as soon as possible if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Is there anything unique the Series X console does that the PS5 doesnt? They are using 3D audio, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers as USP's (not too sure what the last one does)

Bar gamepass of course

Xbox have 3D audio (or at least a dedicated audio chip) as well according to the most recent Series X video by Digital Foundry but Microsoft aren't pushing that.

Xbox also had something with the triggers in the current gen and it's in the new controller as well but I think it's just individual rumble motors in the triggers but developers never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Is there anything unique the Series X console does that the PS5 doesnt? They are using 3D audio, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers as USP's (not too sure what the last one does)

Bar gamepass of course

Good Post from resetera detailing the difference in the 2 controllers
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/understanding-the-difference-between-dualsenses-adaptive-triggers-and-xboxs-impulse-triggers-they-are-not-the-same.273938/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Really annoying there leaving the price and pre orders till the last minute for many reasons but its really gonna push people into panic ordering in all kinds places.

I'll be so pissed off if I can't get a pre order for this ha.

Wonder will PlayStation do something similar for the European Market as they have with the American?

Either way as soon as we get a date I'll be down to Smyths!!

Really annoying there leaving the price and pre orders till the last minute for many reasons but its really gonna push people into panic ordering in all kinds places.

I'll be so pissed off if I can't get a pre order for this ha.

Wonder will PlayStation do something similar for the European Market as they have with the American?

Either way as soon as we get a date I'll be down to Smyths!!

Yeah I'm in the same boat, if we can't register our interest with PlayStation Direct here the minute price and date are announced I'll be pre ordering with Smyths unless Gamestop have good trade in deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yeah I'm in the same boat, if we can't register our interest with PlayStation Direct here the minute price and date are announced I'll be pre ordering with Smyths unless Gamestop have good trade in deal

I'm just gonna go with Smyths with Amazon as a backup (or for a friend). I might consider Gamestop for a trade-in but I want a new iPad so will likely drop my PS4 Pro into CEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

What are peoples thoughts on disc drive vs download only?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Disc all the way. The prices of new releases on the store are always far too expensive when compared to the disc release.

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm just gonna go with Smyths with Amazon as a backup (or for a friend). I might consider Gamestop for a trade-in but I want a new iPad so will likely drop my PS4 Pro into CEX.

I think Amazon take payment as soon as you order now so just something to keep in mind.

I'll probably go digital as haven't bought physical games in the last 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Happy to go discless. Went pretty much all digital this gen, think I've bought about 5 physical games for Xbone/PS4 combined

I still buy the odd physical game when I see a deal, so I will go with that one
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think Amazon take payment as soon as you order now so just something to keep in mind.

**** really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hoping the disk drive will get some use for the odd purchased blu-ray also. Wonder if we can presume it'll play 4k Blu-ray?

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hoping the disk drive will get some use for the odd purchased blu-ray also. Wonder if we can presume it'll play 4k Blu-ray?

It is confirmed to be a UHD player

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have about 100 things currently pre ordered from Amazon and that is not the case, they take the money 24-48 hours before shipping.

Xenji wrote: »
    I have about 100 things currently pre ordered from Amazon and that is not the case, they take the money 24-48 hours before shipping.

Yea that is how it usually is, I would have thought them charging you straight away for something that won't ship for months would have been big news.

Xenji wrote: »

They've been taking money on order for me for the last 6 months or so. It always used to be when they shipped. Not sure why but there were big threads are n HUKD about it.

Also how do you pre-order 100 things :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

When I buy it (could be years down the line) I will be getting the disc version.

I don't always have access to high speed internet so if a game comes out and I don't have it, then at least I can go to a shop and play the game with the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Disc for me I'd rather have the option of going either physical or digital depending on price.

I like trading in certain types of games as well.

I love collecting a console from the store on launch day or close enough so online would feel weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Amazon have never taken money off me for pre-orders until the item has shipped.

• Advertisement

When I buy it (could be years down the line) I will be getting the disc version.

I don't always have access to high speed internet so if a game comes out and I don't have it, then at least I can go to a shop and play the game with the disc.

Every game (or at least the vast majority) have day one patches now so I'd imagine good internet will definitely be needed going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

if you have mates youve been gaming with for years digital and game share will save you in the long run and the good news is you dont have to ever trade your games

saves on storage too if you have someone in your life who cares about that stuff :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s very easy to live in a digital only world these days if you have decent Internet (see PC) but there are a few drawbacks when it comes to consoles particularly. HDD space becomes more of a premium, which is expandable of course but is an extra cost and might work a bit differently in the SSD era we’re entering into. Otherwise you’ll need to be happy to delete games as needed. And hopefully download speeds will improve a tad this time around ;)

The main benefit of discs is simply that it’s often cheaper to buy new games that way, assuming you’re just buying for yourself and not game sharing or any of that jazz. You’ll frequently save upwards of 15-20 quid on PSN prices if you buy online or even in the likes of Smyths. The discless version will be permanently locked into PSN prices - fine when it comes to sales or PS Plus, but you’ll be constantly paying a premium for a new release most likely.

They've been taking money on order for me for the last 6 months or so. It always used to be when they shipped. Not sure why but there were big threads are n HUKD about it.

Also how do you pre-order 100 things :eek:

With the pre order guarantee you would be amazed how much you can save especially if the item will not be released for about 3-6 months.

I think the issue I noticed for the last fortnight were items that should of been pre orders were being put up as in stock at a future date and then the money was taken straight away, these items were then changed back to pre order a few days later.

Sticking with the disk version, half way through and towards the end of the consoles life cycle it is very easy to pick up games you might of put on the long finger or forgot about for less than €20 and then couple that with the PSN store sales for niche titles that are usually 80% or more off and you have the best of both worlds.

Disc for me I'd rather have the option of going either physical or digital depending on price.

I like trading in certain types of games as well.

I love collecting a console from the store on launch day or close enough so online would feel weird!

I don't trust Amazon and especially Sony to actually get it to me on launch day, and since that is likely to be a Friday, that would mean waiting till the week after. **** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Discless for me since I want to be able to carry my library around anywhere and not worry about discs.

Sure, new games are €70, but I generally only pay a premium for first party games and wait for sales for the rest.

I'll be getting the disc version, games are cheaper. I like having physical copies and it will get a lot of use as a 4k blu ray player.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they don't announce a price, how many preorders will be cancelled when the price is announced?
    The rumour of November release means that's only 10-13 weeks away.

• Advertisement

I'll be getting the disc version, games are cheaper. I like having physical copies and it will get a lot of use as a 4k blu ray player.

When you game share though the game will cost €30-35. Very unlikely you'll get a physical copy for less than that. Even if you buy a physical game at €60 and get €30 trading it back in you're paying the same as the digital copy but you won't have the game anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement