Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If they don't announce a price, how many preorders will be cancelled when the price is announced?
    The rumour of November release means that's only 10-13 weeks away.

There won't be any official pre-orders without a price, they will almost certainly announce both at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

If they don't announce a price, how many preorders will be cancelled when the price is announced?
    The rumour of November release means that's only 10-13 weeks away.

They’re cutting it very fine, so I would hope they have a State of Play next week and just get it all over with and out in the open.

MS have an entire console they’re waiting to announce only 10-13 weeks from release as well, this year has been mad.

They’re cutting it very fine, so I would hope they have a State of Play next week and just get it all over with and out in the open.

MS have an entire console they’re waiting to announce only 10-13 weeks from release as well, this year has been mad.

They can't blame Covid anymore either, seen as how the world has seemingly decided to collectively ignore it since June.

Markitron wrote: »
    They can't blame Covid anymore either, seen as how the world has seemingly decided to collectively ignore it since June.

It could be the case that these machines were designed when the economy was strong with no sigh of a recession, now the financial situation of a lot of people has been tested and they might not see the value in an expensive console when they once would have last year.

It could be the case that these machines were designed when the economy was strong with no sigh of a recession, now the financial situation of a lot of people has been tested and they might not see the value in an expensive console when they once would have last year.

The PS5 will be sold out for months regardless, unless it is over 600 quid or something.

• Advertisement

The PS5 will be sold out for months regardless, unless it is over 600 quid or something.

The first wave of consoles always do, even the Wii U.

But I’d imagine PS5 and Xbox will do very well regardless, I’d just imagine they’re worried about the risk of releasing at €600.

The first wave of consoles always do, even the Wii U.

But I’d imagine PS5 and Xbox will do very well regardless, I’d just imagine they’re worried about the risk of releasing at €600.

I don't think they are stupid enough to price it that high.

Also maybe it was just me but I don't remember the Wii-U being at all difficult to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Also maybe it was just me but I don't remember the Wii-U being at all difficult to get.

I dont think its stupidity 600 is very reasonable for the tech that your buying. They somehow have to get that across to the consumer which i think both companies are failing to do.

They are probably very worried of a slowdown after christmas and realistically they should be. Hobbies are a luxury item and unless they can convince people other than hardcore fans that the leap is worth taking then they wont ship enough to break even on the already discounted tech.

I think the PS3 has really scared that price point, but with inflation, eventually it’ll have to be crossed. I don’t think PS5 will be that expensive, but who knows.

The Wii U sold out of its initial stock as hardcore fans went out and got one. It was only once the real enthusiasts dried up that sales slowed to a crawl and it wasn’t difficult to get after that.

€600 is a lot but come on, for what you're getting it's probably going to be great value. How much do people drop on phones every year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Actually it's thought that luxury goods are rather resilient to recession. People might not be taking as many holidays or going out as much but they'll buy themselves something to give a bit of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How much was the Pro at launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How much was the Pro at launch?

€399

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

recyclops wrote: »
    I dont think its stupidity 600 is very reasonable for the tech that your buying. They somehow have to get that across to the consumer which i think both companies are failing to do.

They are probably very worried of a slowdown after christmas and realistically they should be. Hobbies are a luxury item and unless they can convince people other than hardcore fans that the leap is worth taking then they wont ship enough to break even on the already discounted tech.

If its over €500 I'll wait another year and see if it drops below €500.
    Pretty sure im not alone. And since a lot of people making the buy / no buy decision are the parents, price will be a huge factor. €500 is a big number to cross for a christmas present.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Pretty sure im not alone. And since a lot of people making the buy / no buy decision are the parents, price will be a huge factor. €500 is a big number to cross for a christmas present.

I completely agree with you its insane money to be spending on a gift for kids. (FWIW €500 is too much as well )

I personally have no problem with that price point for the tech that it is for both this and the series X

What neither company has sold me on yet is the games to come with it in or around launch and why its worth upgrading from what i previously have/had

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not sure how many people here will be selling/trading their current gen?

I checked CEX to see how much I'll get for my current kit and for my PS4 Pro, extra DS4, VR, Camera and 2 Move controllers, I should get €490 cash. I'd love to keep my VR but this means a near swap for a PS5. The only thing is, when to sell. I'll obviously get less the longer I wait and it means I might have to go some time with no PS4 but won't be too bad, still have the PS3 :)

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I checked CEX to see how much I'll get for my current kit and for my PS4 Pro, extra DS4, VR, Camera and 2 Move controllers, I should get €490 cash. I'd love to keep my VR but this means a near swap for a PS5. The only thing is, when to sell. I'll obviously get less the longer I wait and it means I might have to go some time with no PS4 but won't be too bad, still have the PS3 :)

I got rid of my base ps4 with 7 exclusives, couple of low ball offers on adverts circa 270, cex were offering 280 for the lot and then got a little over 300 on facebook. which is now put aside for my ps5 Had it online for 350.

Didnt want to add hassle to an order to have to trade something in tbh. Thankfully was in a situation to get rid of it early august.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

JimmyVik wrote: »

Loads of kids get new iPhones for Christmas and they're a lot more expensive than €600. Children get a lot more nowadays

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    €399

So not too hard to see PS5 selling for 100 more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Will be trading in the Pro against PS5.

Activision had a preview event for COD Black Ops: Cold War the other day and told them that on release it would meet next gen consoles on November 13th. So expect both on or before then so 11 weeks tomorrow we should have it.

That's so close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Loads of kids get new iPhones for Christmas and they're a lot more expensive than €600. Children get a lot more nowadays

Agreed, I've one paid for (assuming a €500 pricetag) for myself for Xmas, and my wife was trying to convince me to buy a second for my teenager. Had to remind her we split a switch between 2 kids the previous year for about half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'll probably trade in one of my Xbox One X's

Ratchet&Clank is due for release window, according to Insomniac on the Gamescom stream

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

It’s very easy to live in a digital only world these days if you have decent Internet (see PC) but there are a few drawbacks when it comes to consoles particularly. HDD space becomes more of a premium, which is expandable of course but is an extra cost and might work a bit differently in the SSD era we’re entering into. Otherwise you’ll need to be happy to delete games as needed. And hopefully download speeds will improve a tad this time around ;)

The main benefit of discs is simply that it’s often cheaper to buy new games that way, assuming you’re just buying for yourself and not game sharing or any of that jazz. You’ll frequently save upwards of 15-20 quid on PSN prices if you buy online or even in the likes of Smyths. The discless version will be permanently locked into PSN prices - fine when it comes to sales or PS Plus, but you’ll be constantly paying a premium for a new release most likely.
    No way I will go digital only. Sony & M$ will jizz their pants when consoles eventually go digital only. we will all get fleeced.
    I have bought several games new for €55 in smyths and either taught they where ****e or got terrible motion sickness from them. I traded them back in and only lost €10 for the privilage.
    Say no to Digital only

Ratchet&Clank is due for release window, according to Insomniac on the Gamescom stream

Release window does that mean within 6 months

From ign for Switch
    The Nintendo Switch Launch Titles list features both the Nintendo Switch Games available on launch day (March 3rd, 2017) and in the launch "window" (usually meaning within the first three months following launch day).

So maybe by Feb/March.
    Of course each company could state their own launch windows

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

What a Fooking Mess.

Gonna be a lot of very dissapointed gamers in next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Parsnips wrote: »
    No way I will go digital only. Sony & M$ will jizz their pants when consoles eventually go digital only. we will all get fleeced.
    I have bought several games new for €55 in smyths and either taught they where ****e or got terrible motion sickness from them. I traded them back in and only lost €10 for the privilage.
    Say no to Digital only

I think it'll be a good while before it's digital only. A good percentage of PS users around the world won't have access to high speed internet.

Personally I haven't bought a disc since RDD release day. I hate having the physical media, I don't want to hear the disc spinning either. I prefer being able to change game from my couch. Originally I was digital only, but I'd probably get the disc version. One reason is I have kids, so handy if their friend brings a game over or they want to swap games. Or so people can give them a present of a game. Plus, it's handy to have a physical media player (dvd, blue ray or whatever).
    But if it was purely for my use and purely for games, i'd get the digital only

rumours of a cod bundle being announced on the 9th with the multiplayer reveal, same date was touted for ps5 pre orders

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    rumours of a cod bundle being announced on the 9th with the multiplayer reveal, same date was touted for ps5 pre orders

I have no idea if the rumours are true but there is no way they can wait any longer, tbh I am shocked that we will get to September without them going live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement