Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

predicting a super duper COD bundle for €650 which will be most of the pre orders avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I buy mostly digital but it was only after talking to a store manager in GS that got me back buying some physical again plus taking advatage of level 3 trades discounts.. The amount of credit and new releases i have got since just doing rinse repeat. Buy game finish it trade it back, get new release for cheap rinse repeat. My PS4 is nearly all digital but those games are worthless i could get hundreds for them if they were disc. I wait and buy a lot of older classics when they go cheaper and games like days gone which i got for €15 would be near full price in the ps store. (i traded it in for more than i paid for it)

The main best thing about discless is gameshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    The main best thing about discless is gameshare.

And no one knows how that will work on PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Markitron wrote: »
    And no one knows how that will work on PS5

Well in fairness no one knows much about the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So when do we get the PS5 Pro? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So when do we get the PS5 Pro? :pac:

Ps5 pro first revision will be ****, wait for the second, 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I hope there is a Pro version in 3/4 years. I don’t think 8K will have made it to mainstream, and it’s not practical outside of crazy huge TV sizes 80”+, but it would be great to focus on ensuring 4K60 on everything while increasing the visuals a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

100% there will be a Pro version in a few years that'll do everything at 4k/60

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think it'll be a good while before it's digital only. A good percentage of PS users around the world won't have access to high speed internet.

Personally I haven't bought a disc since RDD release day. I hate having the physical media, I don't want to hear the disc spinning either. I prefer being able to change game from my couch. Originally I was digital only, but I'd probably get the disc version. One reason is I have kids, so handy if their friend brings a game over or they want to swap games. Or so people can give them a present of a game. Plus, it's handy to have a physical media player (dvd, blue ray or whatever).
    But if it was purely for my use and purely for games, i'd get the digital only

I love the digital distribution method - get the game on release if you wish, without even having to go anywhere to buy it. As someone who regularly finishes work well after all the shops are closed, for me it was basically always about waiting for Saturday to go to a shopping center or downtown, with all the downsides of it (crowd, screaming children, traffic). Digital, I can come back home on the day of release, start the download, go to the gym, come back, have some dinner and the game is ready. (This of course all before Covid-19, but at some point we'll all be back into the commute thing). I rarely if ever get rid/sell games at all, even finished ones - sometimes, if they're good games or have replay value, I like to revisit them. Or just keep them - see them as the modern day version of a records collection.

That said, with the PS4 (of which I'm a relatively recent user) I got most of the games on disc, mostly because I paid pretty much peanuts for most of them - either second hand, or on offer in GS/Smyths - and this is the one EXTREMELY IMPORTANT reason why "digital only" is not a great approach for the customer: it makes them prisoners of the system and cuts competition off completely. 5 years old game still sold at full price? You can bet on that happening if the game is popular enough.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    That said, with the PS4 (of which I'm a relatively recent user) I got most of the games on disc, mostly because I paid pretty much peanuts for most of them - either second hand, or on offer in GS/Smyths - and this is the one EXTREMELY IMPORTANT reason why "digital only" is not a great approach for the customer: it makes them prisoners of the system and cuts competition off completely. 5 years old game still sold at full price? You can bet on that happening if the game is popular enough.

This is true and something I did with my ps4 bar the last of us 2 and spiderman.

The flip side of it is that it's best for the industry we are all trying to support. Games are gettin more expensive to make as boundaries are pushed.

Think of how much money companies lose to the trade in model, if they had any sense they would allow a virtual trade in thus keeping the money flow into them and the game makers and not cex, GS etc.

Its a difficult one as the shops make games more accessible but also stop games making money. Not the AAA games but other smaller games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only had 3 games physical for the PS4. Battlefield 4 I got on launch, the VR game farpoint that came with the gun, and Six siege that someone else got with a bundle and gave to me.

The convenience is worth it for me, even if I got physical games delivered it's a gamble for release day for a game that's sitting in the post box (I've the an post secure one so not a worry for theft) and then install and day 1 patches vs preloading a game or starting the game downloading before I get home.

Even for PS3 I'd say less that half the game I got were physical; excluding PS plus which'd put the balance overwhelmingly in digital favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Aren't some of the digital releases just the premium/deluxe editions with no option of the standard edition?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Aren't some of the digital releases just the premium/deluxe editions with no option of the standard edition?

Somethings they do have a separate base digital edition but it's usually just the normal base game with store specific or preorder specific content included. Usually not priced over the normal digital premium.

I don't think that will be a problem much longer, a lot of the premium editions are being released without the actual game now. Even for specific platforms, Ubi not including the physical game for some of their future games for Xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

So ....Another convention has passed us by with absolutely no mention of the PS5 release.
    I am so frikking frustrated. Its unbelievable at this stage

Only news in the last while was Sony adding a few private videos to their youtube playlists, and Best Buy in the US adding finance options to the PS5 and X pages which indicate a $499 price or higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/8/31/21408828/ps5-backwards-compatibility-ps3-ps2-ps1-rumor

So PS5 will have only some backwards compatibility with the PS4 but none for the PS1, 2 and 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/8/31/21408828/ps5-backwards-compatibility-ps3-ps2-ps1-rumor

So PS5 will have only some backwards compatibility with the PS4 but none for the PS1, 2 and 3

Wasnt expecting it to support them be honest. I've played many of the older games from the early systems I wanted to go back on so I'm happy enough to move forward. The certain amount of older stuff online anyway. Once I can play my remaining ps4 stuff it's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll be keeping my PS3 then but i always figured that was the case. Wouldn't be so bad if their PS Now catalogue was beefed up a bit.

Thats disappointing but then its to be expected from Sony, they as always just tagged on backwards compat then dropped it from consoles straight away.

Hopefully they pull the finger out and fix their digital platforms and give the people what they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was kind of hoping they would at least bring forward the the catalogue of Playstation classics to the PS5 that were available on PS3 and fix the PS2 emulation issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Activision had a preview event for COD Black Ops: Cold War the other day and told them that on release it would meet next gen consoles on November 13th. So expect both on or before then so 11 weeks tomorrow we should have it.

73 days until we have the console now and still no UI reveal, price or official pre orders

Surely will get this info soon??? :o

https://kotaku.com/maybe-just-delay-next-gen-already-1844859500

this is a good article and difficult to argue with, maybe a delay in the consoles would be better for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

73 days until we have the console now and still no UI reveal, price or official pre orders

Pretty sure the Switch price reveal and pre-order's didn't happen until like 6 weeks before release so people have been waiting longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They've not done a teardown either where we can see the inside of the console and most importantly see what the cooling solution looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Or that tear down that was mentioned in March as coming soon

Ubisoft retracted their backwards compatibility statement. Take from that what you will but I imagine it's more damage control from sony and Ubisoft giving out information they are privy to but shouldn't have released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Would they really require damage control on a leak that confirms something everyone already expected?

This whole dearth of information on these consoles is making news stories out of nothing, would they just either take a **** or get off the pot already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ubisoft retracted their backwards compatibility statement. Take from that what you will but I imagine it's more damage control from sony and Ubisoft giving out information they are privy to but shouldn't have released.

The statement was a bit ambiguous anyway from my reading of it, as it was on a section about upgrading PS4 games to PS5, and there was no clarification about whether it related to disk-games or download/streaming, as some PS1 & PS2 games are on PS Now which will likely still be playable on PS5.

Overall I wouldn't read too much into it. Not fussed about it either way as I doubt I'll go back to play any PS1/2/3 games anyway (have enough of a PS4 backlog as it is), but I wouldn't be taking a random Ubisoft page as gospel on it yet, as the wording of it seemed fairly flimsy anyway.

I would like if they would release PS1-3 classics as digital downloads on the PS5. And the news doesn't say that this will happen

• Advertisement

the ms model of read disc and then download digital surely cant be that difficult cant it ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement