Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

recyclops wrote: »
    the ms model of read disc and then download digital surely cant be that difficult cant it ?

You can make it all sorts of difficult when you want to push your paid streaming platform instead.

Tbf MS have a dedicated team that port the OG XB & 360 games to the newer consoles, and it is done on a game by game basis. it is most certainly not easy, they just go above and beyond in their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Honestly i never get the big deal with backward compatability - have you ever gone back and tried to play an old game on newer system? Anything past a couple of years back and its a horrendous experience most of the time. In theory i like the idea of it but in practice i never use it. Using a boost mode type scenario up upscale the games has it merits but honestly its a meh for me. I'm not buying a PS5/XBOX to play older games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I see where you're coming from but for me I've skipped the last console generations apart from briefly owning a ps4 (also skipped PS3 for xbox)

I'd like to try the new console generation but also play the classics from PS4 specifically last of us 1 and 2, God of War and maybe Uncharted.

There's probably some PS3 games I'd play through too and definitely a good few ps2 games I'd love to revisit.

For Xbox I don't care at all, there's nothing there in the past that's exclusive I care about. Here's hoping we get more playstation games on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

jones wrote: »
    Honestly i never get the big deal with backward compatability - have you ever gone back and tried to play an old game on newer system? Anything past a couple of years back and its a horrendous experience most of the time. In theory i like the idea of it but in practice i never use it. Using a boost mode type scenario up upscale the games has it merits but honestly its a meh for me. I'm not buying a PS5/XBOX to play older games

Anything in 3D from really old consoles looks absolutely dire. Goldeneye one of the best games ever - i'd say it would be muck if i played it now but older games than that from snes etc still play great. I tried to play Conkers bad fur day on rare replay and the multiplayer was nearly unplayable but was brilliant back in the day just couldnt get into it, pixels are shocking.

I agree with you mostly. It is a very nice feature but its is somewhat meaningless in the long run and nowhere near as big a deal as it is made out to be by the hardcore fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Old games still hold up. A good game will be a good game forever. Conker's Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye have aged horribly and always had horrendous framerate issues, even at release. But for every Goldeneye there's about 10 other amazing old games that put to shame most games that call themselves triple A.

Definitely gone back to play old games and enjoyed them immensely.

However my main issue is as a PC gamer my digital games collection will follow me to whatever system I build. It will always be there for me to play.

On console I'm expected to just abandon the games I've put money down on because the platform overlords have decided obsolete the old console and even worse shut down their servers so you can't access your games anymore.

Now saying that Nintendo are the worst and have shut down the Wii completely so you can't get those games at all. At least the PS3 library is still up. But I'd just prefer what Microsoft are doing where your collection will follow you from system to system. And with consoles adopting the same architecture as PC from now on and the ease of development with third party programs that can be compiled across multiple platforms it would be nice if everyone could be more like microsoft or the PC platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Old games still hold up. A good game will be a good game forever. Conker's Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye have aged horribly and always had horrendous framerate issues, even at release. But for every Goldeneye there's about 10 other amazing old games that put to shame most games that call themselves triple A.

However my main issue is as a PC gamer my digital games collection will follow me to whatever system I build. It will always be there for me to play.

On console I'm expected to just abandon the games I've put money down on because the platform overlords have decided obsolete the old console and even worse shut down their servers so you can't access your games anymore.

Now saying that Nintendo are the worst and have shut down the Wii completely so you can't get those games at all. At least the PS3 library is still up. But I'd just prefer what Microsoft are doing where your collection will follow you from system to system. And with consoles adopting the same architecture as PC from now on and the ease of development with third party programs that can be compiled across multiple platforms it would be nice if everyone could be more like microsoft or the PC platform.

I take your point but for me i've never once gone back to play and old game and have it hold up and believe me i've tried. Not to mention i'm now playing on 65" tv compared to the 21" CRT i would have been playing some of the older games on - the graphics are one thing but even the controls on most older games are horrible compared to this gen. They just look awful and handle terribly. I have pc games too and i do agree there is something nice about having them forever but at the same time most of the pc games i go back to are strategy etc so not very graphic intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's absolutely no negative for the customer to have backwards compatibly as far as I can see. Yes you might not use it but it's great to have the option of booting up an old game on your current system if you do fancy a trip down memory lane.

It's something that we should all want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I take your point but for me i've never once gone back to play and old game and have it hold up and believe me i've tried. Not to mention i'm now playing on 65" tv compared to the 21" CRT i would have been playing some of the older games on - the graphics are one thing but even the controls on most older games are horrible compared to this gen. They just look awful and handle terribly. I have pc games too and i do agree there is something nice about having them forever but at the same time most of the pc games i go back to are strategy etc so not very graphic intensive.

to be fair, its probably similar for older console games. I like the turn based RPGs because they don't depend on too much in the way of dynamic controls. BUT I found MGS very hard to replay recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think every gen should be BC with the previous gen (and it was a definite annoyance that PS4 wasn't, especially with how many remasters it led to since people had nothing else to play), but I think for most people who still want to play games older than that, it's generally a nice to have but not something I'd get hung up on. I think anyone who still loves playing those older games, they would have kept the consoles to play them on.

The only game from older consoles I've played in the last few years was Bully, but I also wouldn't have been bothered if it wasn't available to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Full backwards compatibility is obviously an ideal (allowing for the actual technical physical restraints of carts / proprietary discs for many retro consoles), but honestly I’d be happier if Sony were just better at putting older generation games up even for digital purchasing. I think after the superb PS1 releases last gen - have a big library of PS1 rarities downloaded on my PS3 - a few scattered PS2 games this gen is pretty disappointing. Microsoft have done an amazing job making the vast majority of the Xbox library compatible, but really I think Sony have been weak this gen even by their own recent standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Retr0gamer wrote: »

this is the key point, whilst yes alot of people buy new consoles to play new games there are games that are and forever will be classics. Heres looking at you silent hill 2.

Take the example in sonys case FFVII, of you had a second generation ps3 you had to rebuy it, say then you sold your ps3 and got a 4 and wanted to replay it, whats that you have to buy it again ( at a higher price). Thats a very good business model to make money but crap for your consumers.

All of this is made even worse if the technology is either there or nearly there, i do admit Markitron is right in saying its not easy. But if its something your consumers are asking for why not just do it.

quick caveat is i have a psclassic so access to any game, ps2 with harddrive so access to any game and a jailbroken ps3 so same again. But all of that is down to Sonys sheer reluctance to just give Playstation fans what they would like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I only played Deus Ex (1) for the first time 3 years ago. Absolutely loved it even with all the technological limitations in place at the time of its release.

Other old games I've played for the first time recently and loved include Crash Bandicoot 2 (not the remaster) and Dragon Quest VIII. As said, a great old game will hold up perhaps even more so in the last decade where we have seen little in the way of gameplay innovation (imho) and more to do with graphics and stories

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The thing is that Sony don't have to offer this. It's a lot of money to invest and old games won't sell as well as new ones just by their nature.

Let's not fool ourselves. Microsoft were totally against BC as well and only had a great BC program due to being so far behind Sony. And Sony have been so far ahead this generation that they just sat back and did the bare minimum because as the fat boy slim album cover says 'I'm no. 1 why try harder'. A BC program would have been nice but wouldn't have been worth their time or money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I don't understand the obsession with backwards compatibility. If you love your PS3 games so much, don't throw away your PS3. Job done. Sony aren't taking anything away from you or stopping you from using that console.

This has never been a thing in console gaming. Sega didn't do it. Nintendo didn't do it. Microsoft are trying to change the model with their subscription service where you don't actually own anything and are moving to a fully BC model to accommodate that, but in general I don't see the point.

When I buy a new console I want it to be new. I don't want some of the money that could have gone to improving it to have been spent on including old hardware in the box or on developing an emulator which will never be quite the same anyway. Obviously as recent consoles have converged on off-the-shelf CPUs and GPUs it has gotten easier to have backwards compatibility between next gen and current gen pretty much for free, which is why PS4 games will be supported. But older consoles with unique hardware are just not worth the investment.

Any game that there's any real demand for (like FFVII mentioned above) gets re-released anyway and the updated version often comes with improvements in resolution, usability etc. to bring it a bit closer to modern standards. Very very few old games actually stand up or are worth playing today in their original form.

When they did have backwards compatibility in the past, like the 60GB PS3, so few players actually used it that they dropped it in order to make the console more affordable in the following revisions. If fans were really crying out for it in large numbers, they'd have continued with it.

quokula wrote: »
    I don't understand the obsession with backwards compatibility. If you love your PS3 games so much, don't throw away your PS3. Job done. Sony aren't taking anything away from you or stopping you from using that console.

This has never been a thing in console gaming. Sega didn't do it. Nintendo didn't do it. Microsoft are trying to change the model with their subscription service where you don't actually own anything and are moving to a fully BC model to accommodate that, but in general I don't see the point.

When I buy a new console I want it to be new. I don't want some of the money that could have gone to improving it to have been spent on including old hardware in the box or on developing an emulator which will never be quite the same anyway. Obviously as recent consoles have converged on off-the-shelf CPUs and GPUs it has gotten easier to have backwards compatibility between next gen and current gen pretty much for free, which is why PS4 games will be supported. But older consoles with unique hardware are just not worth the investment.

Any game that there's any real demand for (like FFVII mentioned above) gets re-released anyway and the updated version often comes with improvements in resolution, usability etc. to bring it a bit closer to modern standards. Very very few old games actually stand up or are worth playing today in their original form.

When they did have backwards compatibility in the past, like the 60GB PS3, so few players actually used it that they dropped it in order to make the console more affordable in the following revisions. If fans were really crying out for it in large numbers, they'd have continued with it.

I think it was a bit easier to churn out games back then though. With the length of time most big devs are putting into each game, to me it makes sense to have the new consoles be BC at least with the last gen even just to make the likely drought of games in the first year or two that bit easier to handle. The start of the PS4/XB1 gen was filled with remasters and special editions because there was f*ck all to play on the new consoles since they weren't BC.

With backwards compatiblity, some people who might have been on the fence about buying the console because the new games aren't that great might still buy one to play older games on it.

But I agree that games from previous generations, just keep the console and play them on that until such time as they become available on PSNow/Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

quokula wrote: »
    I don't understand the obsession with backwards compatibility. If you love your PS3 games so much, don't throw away your PS3.

i find it often turns into quite the conversation when the wife brings up the fact that you have 9 consoles in the sitting room:D:D:D let alone the constant changing of wires :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Kilboor wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from but for me I've skipped the last console generations apart from briefly owning a ps4 (also skipped PS3 for xbox)

I'd like to try the new console generation but also play the classics from PS4 specifically last of us 1 and 2, God of War and maybe Uncharted.

There's probably some PS3 games I'd play through too and definitely a good few ps2 games I'd love to revisit.

For Xbox I don't care at all, there's nothing there in the past that's exclusive I care about. Here's hoping we get more playstation games on PC

100% completely agree for maybe someone switching from sony to MS or visa versa. But always been my taughts that I could care less about the last Generation if going from PS to PS etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

i find it often turns into quite the conversation when the wife brings up the fact that you have 9 consoles in the sitting room:D:D:D let alone the constant changing of wires :mad::mad::mad:

That's why you never draw attention to them, and if they ask about that new console under the TV just tell them its an old you you've brought into rotation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

In regards to Backwards Compatibility I am a firm believer in Archiving all aspects of art in entertainment media.
    I have recently finished Skies of Arcadia for the first time and still think it holds up so well I wished the gaming industry would do a better job of perserving games for future generations of gamers who missed out on all these all time classics , but I understand having Backwards Compatibility is costly but its extremely disheartning to see games like Mega Man Legends , Suikoden , Valkyrie profile and Skies of arcadia be forgotten about and since there is no way of playing these games and creating new demand for sequels unless you use an emulator , its really sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah this +100, having to switch between so many consoles is a pain. For me BC is amazing, you never know when your going to have the urge to play an older game and been able to have all the classics at your fingertips is great. BC is also great for anyone who didn't own that companies previous console as they now have older games they never tried before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

COD trailer lists it's ps5 release as holiday 2020 for US and Canada, and late 2020 for rest of world.

So no global release

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Varik wrote: »
    COD trailer lists it's ps5 release as holiday 2020 for US and Canada, and late 2020 for rest of world.

So no global release

Sony have stated that there will be global release. Holiday 2020 in the US is late November around Thanksgiving which pretty much is late 2020 in Europe. Its how that time of year is referred as in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Daily Express in the UK are running a story that the price and pre-order details will be revealed on Wednesday (9th of September). Their source? Feckin' 4chan. :rolleyes:

It seems to be gaining traction because Wednesday will be the 25th anniversary of the launch of the OG PS in North America. However, the new Black Ops game is apparently revealing it's multiplayer that day too, so if any of this is true, I guess it'll be during the Sony presentation.

Anyway, it's probably all shite, but at least we only have two days to wait to find out.

525555.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Take it all Sony

giphy.gif

They can't leave it any later than that, that is about 8 weeks before the thing is gonna launch. They can blame covid all they want but this 100% them building hype

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    The Daily Express in the UK are running a story that the price and pre-order details will be revealed on Wednesday (9th of September). Their source? Feckin' 4chan. :rolleyes:

It seems to be gaining traction because Wednesday will be the 25th anniversary of the launch of the OG PS in North America. However, the new Black Ops game is apparently revealing it's multiplayer that day too, so if any of this is true, I guess it'll be during the Sony presentation.

Anyway, it's probably all shite, but at least we only have two days to wait to find out.

525555.jpg

Their State of Plays are always on a Thursday, so I don’t buy it.

If it’s Wednesday, they’d surely have an announcement tonight to build up hype.

Maybe neither Sony nor Microsoft want to be the first to give prices/release dates to the point where you'll have to go into Gamestop every morning in November on the off-chance that's the release date and hope you brought enough money with you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to repeat, as I mentioned earlier in the thread: The Daily Express is a step underneath the gutter press, even by British tabloid standards. They game SEO shamelessly, and will publish absolute horse**** without a second’s hesitation just for empty clicks. Completely ignore them when they pop up in search results: they’re the absolute worst of the worst.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement