Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Their State of Plays are always on a Thursday, so I don’t buy it.

If it’s Wednesday, they’d surely have an announcement tonight to build up hype.

Not that I put any faith in this whatsoever, it wouldn't necessarily be branded a 'state of play'. I don't think their previous PS5 was labelled as one (although it was on a Thursday).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The 9th announcement date isn't new it's been the rumour for the last 2 weeks, but unless they say there's something happening today then they're not going to drop an announcement out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Penn wrote: »
    Maybe neither Sony nor Microsoft want to be the first to give prices/release dates to the point where you'll have to go into Gamestop every morning in November on the off-chance that's the release date and hope you brought enough money with you.

Ironically a “daily express” into the shop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So there's a PSVR event this week, with nothing on PS5. So much for that

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    So there's a PSVR event this week, with nothing on PS5. So much for that

It’s getting hilariously frustrating at this stage.

So we might get news next week.

This has gotten ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It’s getting hilariously frustrating at this stage.

So we might get news next week.

This has gotten ridiculous.

It has been ridiculous for at least 2 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Was listening to a podcast last week and they said something on it that made me realise that it doesn't really matter that we haven't gotten the release date or price yet.

It was along the lines of, it will come out when it comes out and it will cost what it costs. If you're really looking forward to getting it, you should be putting money by regardless of whether or not you know the price or release date. If you're thinking Christmas shopping then, again, you should be putting money by regardless. If you save more money than needed, you'll have extra money for another game or controller, or other Christmas presents.

If you're thinking of pre-ordering, then that doesn't really matter either, because you would either get in on the pre-order, or you won't. The consoles are going to sell out regardless so plan ahead either way.

Why do Sony and Microsoft need to tell us today, that it comes out November 13th or 14th, or whatever? What difference does it make that we know today, versus knowing at the start of October?

Once I heard them talk about the release dates in that manner, it made me realise it doesn't matter that we haven't heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,869 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wing126 wrote: »
    Was listening to a podcast last week and they said something on it that made me realise that it doesn't really matter that we haven't gotten the release date or price yet.

It was along the lines of, it will come out when it comes out and it will cost what it costs. If you're really looking forward to getting it, you should be putting money by regardless of whether or not you know the price or release date. If you're thinking Christmas shopping then, again, you should be putting money by regardless. If you save more money than needed, you'll have extra money for another game or controller, or other Christmas presents.

If you're thinking of pre-ordering, then that doesn't really matter either, because you would either get in on the pre-order, or you won't. The consoles are going to sell out regardless so plan ahead either way.

Why do Sony and Microsoft need to tell us today, that it comes out November 13th or 14th, or whatever? What difference does it make that we know today, versus knowing at the start of October?

It was compared to an iPhone announcements, Apple only announce the price and release date for their iPhones about 2-3 weeks before they release.

Once I heard them talk about the release dates in that manner, it made me realise it doesn't matter that we haven't heard anything yet.

If it 500euro, i will budget for it. if it is 700euro I will not budget for it. Knowing one way or the other would be nice.

If it 500euro, i will budget for it. if it is 700euro I will not budget for it. Knowing one way or the other would be nice.

If you can afford to budget for the console costing €500, then do that. If they're €700 and you don't want to pay that, well then you have €500 that was saved up, that's suddenly free to spend on whatever else you want to spend it on.

What's the harm in having money saved up either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ive been putting money by every week since last year I've more then 600 saved so I should hopefully be sorted.

Thing is I want to get a pre order sorted and not have to worry about doing things last minute.

The longer they leave this the more likely it is people will start panicking and jumping at ways of picking this up which isn't ideal coming up to Christmas especially with everything else that's went on this year and the shortages in stock across the board.

All they need to do is say pre orders start on this date console is this amount and its out then its not hard its a basic bloody thing and there just acting the balls for whatever reason at this stage.

• Advertisement

TBH, I would say with stock issues from COVID, I wouldn't be surprised if a pre-order didn't guarantee a console. Definitely not in Gamestop who've been taking deposits since last year... These consoles are 100% going to sell out. Smyths/Argos are gonna be the best bets to get one once price is announced and pre-orders are opened, AFAIK, they haven't been taking deposits like Gamestop.

Even then Sony/Microsoft aren't gonna come out and say "PRE-ORDERS LIVE TODAY". They'll give people notice and if you have the money saved up already, then that's the most difficult part of the problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It was along the lines of, it will come out when it comes out and it will cost what it costs. If you're really looking forward to getting it, you should be putting money by regardless of whether or not you know the price or release date. If you're thinking Christmas shopping then, again, you should be putting money by regardless.

If thats the way Sony and Microsoft are thinking then that's a very arrogant attitude. They should be working harder to make sure it's sold out rather than assuming it will sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

They let the hype trains do that for them and the less we know about prices/ dates the more that builds.

I hope xbox comes out first so I can get that sell my xbox one x and pick up ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I do not think there will be any stock issues even with Covid still a worldwide issue as Sony already addressed months ago that that the ongoing coronavirus outbreak has had no effect on preparations , despite the console being manufactured in China.

https://www.androidcentral.com/ps5-supply-reportedly-increased#:~:text=Per%20Bloomberg's%20sources%2C%20Sony%20is,due%20to%20the%20global%20pandemic.

Up till now Microsoft and Sony have been battling who will cave in first and announce their prices just so the other company could drop their price by 50-100 euros if they need to.

I dont think Microsoft and Sony can be this quiet for much longer as they need to start giving a heads up to retail stores before hand to start ordering and prepping for the new consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I dunno for me I've 500 saved up I'd like to know how much more I've to add and by when , and of course what are the actual launch games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just to repeat, as I mentioned earlier in the thread: The Daily Express is a step underneath the gutter press, even by British tabloid standards. They game SEO shamelessly, and will publish absolute horse**** without a second’s hesitation just for empty clicks. Completely ignore them when they pop up in search results: they’re the absolute worst of the worst.
    They survive on pro leave brexit and royal family stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Gas.
    I remember there was video of someone buying a couple of ps4s in Argos at launch day back in 2013. Obviously reselling them and people went nuts.

I expect the same to happen again. Ps5s going for a 1000 come December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I expect the same to happen again. Ps5s going for a 1000 come December.

Surely nobody would be dumb enough to pay that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Parents too afraid to say no to there children may

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Greyfox wrote: »
    Surely nobody would be dumb enough to pay that much.

Fools and their money are easily parted. Should be a limit on launch day to how many you can buy anyway. One per customer, if pre-ordered, then first come first served on any excess.

• Advertisement

I used to think it was wrong when people did it. Purposely buying something to tack on more and sell. Now... Not at all.

That's life and it's how business works. Buy something at a lower price than what you sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I used to think it was wrong when people did it. Purposely buying something to tack on more and sell. Now... Not at all.

That's life and it's how business works. Buy something at a lower price than what you sell on.

It’s not business. It’s price gouging.

Fools and their money are easily parted. Should be a limit on launch day to how many you can buy anyway. One per customer, if pre-ordered, then first come first served on any excess.

The kind of people who flip **** like that, tend to buy from multiple shops or use multiple accounts. It's not something you can easily stop from happening. People really just gotta be vigilant and patient.

Zhane wrote: »
    It’s not business. It’s price gouging.

It is business tho. Do you think the shops that will be selling them will be doing so at the same price they paid for them?

You know dude that's the very definition of business. To buy something at a lower price than what you sell for :p

Either way, I refuse to buy something above RRP just because of stock. Even if I can't get a PS5 on release, I'm not paying some tw@ above the odds for one, because it's people like them are the reason I can't get it in the first place.

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, these people know there are other people (usually clueless parents) who will pay above the RRP because they don't want to disappoint their lovely little "angle".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Acute or obtuse?

Obese

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Lockdown can do that to ya.

So has anyone here used PSVR? Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

It is business tho. Do you think the shops that will be selling them will be doing so at the same price they paid for them?

You know dude that's the very definition of business. To buy something at a lower price than what you sell for :p

Shops add value by being the end of a supply chain that allows you to buy it in your local community rather than flying to Asia and waving your cash outside the Sony factory.

Price gougers add nothing whatsoever other than profiting from other people's work, to the expense of everyone by making the product more difficult to acquire for people who actually want it.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    Shops add value by being the end of a supply chain that allows you to buy it in your local community rather than flying to Asia and waving your cash outside the Sony factory.

Price gougers add nothing whatsoever other than profiting from other people's work, to the expense of everyone by making the product more difficult to acquire for people who actually want it.

That's life tho.
    Let's be honest too there are many people who solely buy something on eBay, adverts etc to resell on that platform for a markup. That's perfectly acceptable.

We have ticket touts in this world.
    We have people who will do the same with iPhones and new Nike runners and resell.

All is fair in love and war they say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement