Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

We just need a law so, just like the one they introduced nearly 2 years ago for ticket touting, or did that not actually come in yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Looks like the PS5 will be released in US and europe will be delayed after that.
    Post on Insta last night. dont ask me the source but I was thinking this was a possibily anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/WCGamingTweets/status/1303174153797857282?s=19

Microsoft leaks this morning.

Series S to launch with Series X. $299 and $499 are the prices they're going with.

Xbox replied with this.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303213264441024514?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Parsnips wrote: »
    Looks like the PS5 will be released in US and europe will be delayed after that.
    Post on Insta last night. dont ask me the source but I was thinking this was a possibily anyway.

I'm sorry but whats the point of this post? Anoymous source which you can't even remember, doesn't add anything to the discussion and is almost certainly complete BS. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/WCGamingTweets/status/1303174153797857282?s=19

Microsoft leaks this morning.

Series S to launch with Series X. $299 and $499 are the prices they're going with.

Xbox replied with this.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303213264441024514?s=19

Think this pretty much confirms the PS5 as 499, there is no way they will go higher. November 13th now seems a likely date.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Surely nobody would be dumb enough to pay that much.

I had someone offer me 800 pounds for my new PS2, people absolutely would if they are desperate and have the cash to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love that response from MS :pac:

Wouldn't be surprised if that was a controlled leak, try and get Sony to announce something and MS can always change it if needed but I'd say that's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

There ye have it - $299 for the Series S - https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303230071033880576

No way the Digital PS5 is gonna be that cheap, so I wonder how Sony will compete.

Edit: corrected price to $299

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I love that response from MS :pac:

Wouldn't be surprised if that was a controlled leak, try and get Sony to announce something and MS can always change it if needed but I'd say that's legit.

Xbox have confirmed the S and price since.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303230071033880576?s=19

Wing126 wrote: »
    There ye have it - $249 for the Series S - https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303230071033880576

No way the Digital PS5 is gonna be that cheap, so I wonder how Sony will compete.

I don't think they are going to try

Markitron wrote: »

Tough one to be honest. This will sell very well around Christmas I'd expect.

Parents going into GameStop and they see a the Series S and Switch at €300 it's going to be much easier for them to pick up than the €500 PS5/Series X. Especially for younger kids who only seem to play Fortnite these days.

The more expensive consoles will sell well to the likes of us who know technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Digital PS5 isn't lower spec like the Series S is, so in fairness I don't think it'll be an equal comparison.

The Series S to me seems like "base entry-level to next-gen" whereas the Series X, PS5/PS5digital are all full next-gen consoles.

I'm still guessing €500 for PS5, €450 PS5 Digital.

Tough one to be honest. This will sell very well around Christmas I'd expect.

Parents going into GameStop and they see a the Series S and Switch at €300 it's going to be much easier for them to pick up than the €500 PS5/Series X. Especially for younger kids who only seem to play Fortnite these days.

The more expensive consoles will sell well to the likes of us who know technology.

Agreed. Xbox have already said their exclusives for the first year or two will also be available on the Xbox One consoles, so I don't see why any existing Xbox user would upgrade to the Series S rather than save up and get the Series X in a year or so (man I hate the names of these consoles).

But, the Series S being so low price could sell well with parents with younger children who maybe only have a Switch already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I think Sony have to go with 399/499 now. Nobody will get the digital version if it's 50 quid from the full version.

The next gen Xbox for 299 is tempting, especially for gamepass. It's even more tempting for the casual end of the market who just want to play Fifa every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Honestly, the price for the Series S is a small bit higher than I was thinking and the rumoured/confirmed 500 for the X lower. I'm still half expecting 600 for the PS5 Disc. I get the feeling that MS is willing to take a big hit on production to gain back lost market share this gen.

Honestly, the price for the Series S is a small bit higher than I was thinking and the rumoured/confirmed 500 for the X lower. I'm still half expecting 600 for the PS5 Disc. I get the feeling that MS is willing to take a big hit on production to gain back lost market share this gen.

The S has been confirmed at £250 in the UK. So €275 for us buying from Amazon.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I think Sony have to go with 399/499 now. Nobody will get the digital version if it's 50 quid from the full version.

The next gen Xbox for 299 is tempting, especially for gamepass. It's even more tempting for the casual end of the market who just want to play Fifa every year.

Yeah I can see myself picking up a Series S next year for Gamepass and a few mates who are on Xbox, unless Sony make PS Now a proper Gamepass alternative, in which case f*ck those mates on Xbox, they're not worth €300+.

This was unlikely before the XSX price announcement, would be downright madness after.

This was unlikely before the XSX price announcement, would be downright madness after.

Series X hasn't had the price announced, just the S.

Edit: either way we win. Now if you're buying your PS5 you can get an S for €299 (£249) and add Game Pass to have access to hundreds of games. It's a win win for those who want both.

Series X hasn't had the price announced, just the S.

We all know what it is gonna cost

• Registered Users Posts: 45,869 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have always assumed 500 for both high end versions. 450 for the PS5 discless. and I assumed 400 for the Series S, 350 at lowest so I'm suprised by that price point. I think PS5 Discless will hit at 400 now. Still saying 500 for the Disc version.

• Advertisement

We all know what it is gonna cost

I wouldn't be so certain on that.

Given the 299 price was proven and confirmed very quickly, but the 500 price point not, I think MS are holding off just in case that can/need to respond to Sony.

I would say 500 is absolutely the current price they are looking at, but they might still try to undercut Sony and go to 450 if they feel they need to.

It could also be they haven't confirmed it because they want to do so during a reveal event rather than via a tweet - announce official release date and X pricing together.

I wouldn't be so certain on that.

It was in the exact same leak as the Series S price, I think it is more than a safe bet.

It was in the exact same leak as the Series S price, I think it is more than a safe bet.

I think it is 99% sure, but could still change if Sony do something MS feel they need to react too.

IMO the 300 price point is out now in the hope Sony announce their prices, and then MS can react, if needed, with the SX price.

They confirmed the 300 price, they did not confirm the 500 price in the same leak.

I don’t know. Can Sony afford to match Microsoft. I was certain that MS were going to take a bath on the cost of the initial hardware this time out. They seem super bullish. What if 500 is taking a bath? What if Sony’s Digital edition was 500 and they charged 600 for the disc version? Could offset some of the bad headlines? I’d love to see a rough estimate (like super rough given we’ve yet to properly see them) of a bill of materials for these. Again, I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

from everything online this morning it appears its a big big win for MS, talk of playstion owners also picking up a Series S and them having them paying for Gamepass.

That will massively shorten the gap between the two platforms, now the ball is in Sonys court and if they trust the brand they have built is enough to hold up to the price they wanted to set they really could get burnt

recyclops wrote: »
    from everything online this morning it appears its a big big win for MS, talk of playstion owners also picking up a Series S and them having them paying for Gamepass.

That will massively shorten the gap between the two platforms, now the ball is in Sonys court and if they trust the brand they have built is enough to hold up to the price they wanted to set they really could get burnt

This is the other thing. Hubris. Sony do get bouts of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is the other thing. Hubris. Sony do get bouts of it.

True but the current Sony are a good deal more level headed than the Sony of the PS2/3 era. Mark Cerny on hardware design also helps.

I doubt this Sony will be telling people to get a second job to pay for the PS5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mark Cerny on hardware design also helps.

I mean it is weird and unconventional that he designs hardware solely to fulfill his dreams about the latest entries in the Knack series, but you can't argue with the tech specs.

I mean it is weird and unconventional that he designs hardware solely to fulfill his dreams about the latest entries in the Knack series, but you can't argue with the tech specs.

Slanderous! He designed the Knack-less PS Vita too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

With gamepass, xbox series S is a decent option tbf. It's tempting even as a second console if people wanted to go that way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement