Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭DeadWeight

What would be the best place to preorder this online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Markitron wrote: »
    Slanderous! He designed the Knack-less PS Vita too.

Well, someone clearly hasn’t played Knack via Remote Play ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

titan18 wrote: »
    With gamepass, xbox series S is a decent option tbf. It's tempting even as a second console if people wanted to go that way

If we all put on our 'I don't know anything about consoles and it's Christmas and the kids want a new machine' hats on, the S will fly out at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

DeadWeight wrote: »
    What would be the best place to preorder this online?

I'm going with Smyths for my pre-order
    Well, someone clearly hasn’t played Knack via Remote Play ;)

I don't consider remote play to be a legitimate method of 'playing' anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭DeadWeight

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm going with Smyths for my pre-order

Do they take payment as you order or dispatch like Amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If we all put on our 'I don't know anything about consoles and it's Christmas and the kids want a new machine' hats on, the S will fly out at that price.

Yup, much more appealing for families than something priced at 500ish. I think Sony will need to get closer to 350 for the discless version to have a shot against it tbh.

DeadWeight wrote: »
    Do they take payment as you order or dispatch like Amazon?

I am not sure about consoles, but with games they charge on dispatch. If you pre-order for in-store pickup they charge you the day before release. I can't imagine it will be different for consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/09/08/ps5-pre-order-price-release-date-game-playstation-5/

Personally, I don't see this as likely, given the blog post from Sunday, but let's see.

A GAME store in the UK tweeted

"Sony have scheduled an announcement tomorrow, things are going to kick off this week"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wing126 wrote: »
    https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/09/08/ps5-pre-order-price-release-date-game-playstation-5/

Personally, I don't see this as likely, given the blog post from Sunday, but let's see.

A GAME store in the UK tweeted

"Sony have scheduled an announcement tomorrow, things are going to kick off this week"

They deleted the tweet fairly fast too. Could be read one of two ways - info leak too soon, or unfounded rumour being posted by the employee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone got a handy few thousand knocking about?

EhZlABBUcAI94ud?format=jpg&name=medium

From here

https://www.trulyexquisite.co.uk/24k-gold-ps5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's.....glorious..... :eek:

If that is legit, confirms the $100 difference between disk and diskless. So looking at 400 / 500, tops 450 / 550 is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's.....glorious..... :eek:

If that is legit, confirms the $100 difference between disk and diskless. So looking at 400 / 500, tops 450 / 550 is my guess.

Pretty sure at those markups there's not much difference between 50/100.

This crowds been around before, and had these for previous gens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Wing126 wrote: »

Is a Thursday not a strange time to release a console? I thought it would either be the 13th or 20th.

Either way I’ll be taking the Friday and Monday off for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Is a Thursday not a strange time to release a console? I thought it would either be the 13th or 20th.

I remember the Vita launching on a Tuesday :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thursday release day for most videogame stuff in the states and has been adopted here. Most consoles I've bought at launch have been a thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thank you Microsoft, with that price I think getting a PS5 on launch will be possible, because a lot of parents are going to go for the cheaper Xbox now i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

499 it looks like then?

I'm hoping for 349 and 449 euro. Possibly won't buy it anyway as there'll be a newer smaller version in a few years that I'd want instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

449 would be sweet. But is there any reason to be 50 cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I reckon it'll go the other way, €450 for the discless and €550 for the disc version. Ah isn't speculation great! MS have definitely stolen a few sales with the XSS, but as said above, there's probably gonna be a lot of people getting the XSS just for the MS exclusives and Gamespass. Now I'm torn between the XSS and a new GPU...

449 would be sweet. But is there any reason to be 50 cheaper?

I think it's more that they need to get the discless version closer to the XSS. 100 euro gap between the two of them will be bad for Sony imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Maybe consumers won't see it this way, but the Series X is a cut-down version of the X. It should be significantly cheaper. The PS5 disc-less though has the same power as their other SKU. People shouldn't be looking at it as Sony's version of the XSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Maybe consumers won't see it this way, but the Series X is a cut-down version of the X. It should be significantly cheaper. The PS5 disc-less though has the same power as their other SKU. People shouldn't be looking at it as Sony's version of the XSS.

This exactly. The PS5 Digital only console, has the same internals as the Disc version. Just less the obvious Disc drive.

The Series S is a watered down version of the Series X.

But it may be still an issue for Sony, because lots of people won't understand or comprehend the actual details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

bazzz wrote: »
    This exactly. The PS5 Digital only console, has the same internals as the Disc version. Just less the obvious Disc drive.

But it may be still an issue for Sony, because lots of people won't understand or comprehend the actual details.

Yeah, Sony will have to be clear with their messaging on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Yeah, Sony will have to be clear with their messaging on this.

I know it might be a small thing but argos have reduced the Vat by 2% so should see that in the PS5. Smyths on other hand haven't which I'm surprised on. Be a few euro saved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RGARDINR wrote: »
    I know it might be a small thing but argos have reduced the Vat by 2% so should see that in the PS5. Smyths on other hand haven't which I'm surprised on. Be a few euro saved there.

Considering the RRP is inclusive, and all the EU already has lower VAT than us I doubt it.

Argos just having a mini sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

bazzz wrote: »

The average person and realistically MS dont care if they understand or comprehend the details as cost is the winner. Especially if the XSS is released as the 25 quid a month contract option.

Casual gamers don't need the power of the Series X or PS5. They don't care for 4k, Ray tracing haptic feedback or any of the other shiny stuff we get excited about.

They won't shell out for the Tvs needed to get the most out of these consoles. All they will see is money in their wallet plus a shiny new next gen console in their living room. Not as powerful as others available but now can jump on play a few games with mates or when mates pop round and if bundled with gamepass they are set for two years with no extra spend.

RGARDINR wrote: »

It is going to be a very long time until you can walk into a shop and buy a PS5, and I wouldn't trust a pre-order in there. All their PS5s will be taken by staff members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, you can't pre-order from Argos in Ireland so you'd want to be up from midnight before launch refreshing and then reserving as soon as available. Like above, staff will have them whipped up. My plan is to go with Smyths if pricing is the same across the board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement