Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Markitron wrote: »
    It is going to be a very long time until you can walk into a shop and buy a PS5, and I wouldn't trust a pre-order in there. All their PS5s will be taken by staff members.

You'd be surprised. I worked in an electronics retailer for 10 years and when a really good deal came in there were procedures in place to ensure that staff didn't snap up all the stock (if there was limited quantities). Yes some will go to staff of course but a well run shop will make sure there's a quantity available to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

You'd be surprised. I worked in an electronics retailer for 10 years and when a really good deal came in there were procedures in place to ensure that staff didn't snap up all the stock (if there was limited quantities). Yes some will go to staff of course but a well run shop will make sure there's a quantity available to the consumer.

Yes but Argos and well run don't usually appear in the same sentence.

Source: I worked there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Argos are not an electronics retailer, I know people that worked there that described it like the wild west.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303680112156524544?s=19

Date and price announced for Series X.

I'd imagine Sony will announce this week or next at the latest. Probably launch a week either side of the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303680112156524544?s=19

I'd imagine Sony will announce this week or next at the latest. Probably launch a week either side of the 10th.

Cheers, loads going on today with this and potential amd reveal

• Advertisement

padair wrote: »
    Cheers, loads going on today with this and potential amd reveal

Xbox also tweeted the following so maybe EA Access is getting included in Game Pass as well.

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1303679758689951746?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Can't see Sony waiting very long at all now. My gut instinct when I saw this was "so now it's only playstation no one knows anything about."

Surely this has got to be affecting marketing? Parents for example being proactive to ask about consoles are still getting told in shops "We've no idea when it's out. Or how much it costs", but now they can get the full details on new Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

So MS have officially gone first. Good, can we just get the PS5 details now to stop the tired speculation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tempted now to hold on to the Pro for VR, wheel etc and get the Series S for casual stuff and Game pass. It would be the first time stepping away from the Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Very tempted by the price of the Series S and GamePass. Think I might try and pick them up for Christmas. Can't see me getting a PS5 for a while unless Sony come out with something enticing with their online services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

whiterebel wrote: »
    Tempted now to hold on to the Pro for VR, wheel etc and get the Series S for casual stuff and Game pass. It would be the first time stepping away from the Playstation.

Yeah I reckon am going to bite with Xbox and Game Pass also..

Sony need to price their versions at 350 and 450 to stand a fighting chance against this gen Xbox imo..

Game Pass Ultimate has tonnes to offer and you get exclusives free at launch too..

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Xbox also tweeted the following so maybe EA Access is getting included in Game Pass as well.

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1303679758689951746?s=09

EA Play on Game Pass for no additional cost has been officially announced https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/get-ea-play-with-xbox-game-pass-at-no-additional-cost/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Popple3 wrote: »
    EA Play on Game Pass for no additional cost has been officially announced https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/get-ea-play-with-xbox-game-pass-at-no-additional-cost/

We're not included with that at launch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

We're not included with that at launch though.

Are you sure? I thought it was the All Access thing we won't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

MS have played a blinder the last two days and that EA announcement is the icing on the cake, I hope Sony come out fighting now as i already had the 499 put a side for the X, so no have 300 aside for PS5 and a one x to sell hopefully to bridge that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Hard to argue with that from MS, €500 price point is about my max to tempt me at launch and I would be tempted but the Series S I think might be the way to go for me. I've a gaming PC with Game Pass ultimate so will play most of my Xbox games there where I can and use the Series S for non-PC games.

PS5 can't really got much higher than €500 now IMO or risk losing ground at thes start. I've already seen posts in some bargain facebook groups about the Series S. I imagine those who aren't too tech savvy will go for the Series S for their kids Christmas present if theres a €150-250 gap between it and the PS5, throw in a few games and extra controller and you're not far off €500 anyway for the series S.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Happy that MS put a price out there so Sony can do the same now as well. Ridiculous that it's taken until now though.

Series X with the game pass seems like a good deal but I know I'd regret it if I switch to Xbox. I wouldn't be able to game with the lads I've been playing with on PS for over a decade and MS never have any exclusives that interest me.

Hopefully Sony's price is the same as Series X or even a little cheaper. Any more than the €500 mark set and I don't think I can justify an upgrade this side of Christmas.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Happy that MS put a price out there so Sony can do the same now as well. Ridiculous that it's taken until now though.

Series X with the game pass seems like a good deal but I know I'd regret it if I switch to Xbox. I wouldn't be able to game with the lads I've been playing with on PS for over a decade and MS never have any exclusives that interest me.

Hopefully Sony's price is the same as Series X or even a little cheaper. Any more than the €500 mark set and I don't think I can justify an upgrade this side of Christmas.

Depends on what games you're playing. Cross play is only going to get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Amazon Australia lists Demon’s Souls remake, Destruction AllStars, Returnal, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure with new details, box art, screenshots

From Gematsu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »

It means the cpu will be weaker on the ps5. The S and the X will need the same cpu to maintain frame rate parity between them.

However most games now are limited by the gpu. And this is where it gets interesting.

The Xbox series X has far more compute units than the ps5 but the ps5 gpu is running at a higher clock speed. For modern systems more compute units is preferable so should be an advantage here to the Xbox but the higher clock speed will claw that back. Honestly it's hard to say which will have the faster gpu. Could be a case that both excel at different things and are mostly comparable.

Mark cerny was talking about more advantages to higher clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Depends on what games you're playing. Cross play is only going to get stronger.

True about cross platforming. Hopefully it can become standard for most games next gen, but the exclusives are still a big problem I have with going to Xbox. I know in a year when Sony start announcing big exclusives I'll regret it. I have no confidence in MS when it comes to that area.

Sony's SSD also really excites me (is that sad?). Can't wait to see it shown off over the next few weeks and see what it can do. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    From Gematsu.

I love that a PS3 remake is the game I'm most looking forward to on launch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

if you wanted to be a horrible person Sony release the ps5 at a reasonable price you could pick up a ps5 pre christmas, sell at a profit ( probably near enough to buy a series S and ps5)

then buy a ps5 when a game worth playing comes out. I never got to play demon souls so want to play that as soon as i can

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

J. Marston wrote: »

The PS5 uses Simultaneous multithreading enabled at 3.5 while the Xboxes allow it to be disabled to run a singlethread per core. The X is at 3.6 and the S is at 3.4 with SMT

Without SMT enabled the Xboxes run at 3.8 and 3.6.

Comparing them is completely disingenuous or just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,098 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With XBox preorders opening September 22, Sony will definitely have to release details before then

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With XBox preorders opening September 22, Sony will definitely have to release details before then

I'd be surprised if we don't get one in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

recyclops wrote: »
    if you wanted to be a horrible person Sony release the ps5 at a reasonable price you could pick up a ps5 pre christmas, sell at a profit ( probably near enough to buy a series S and ps5)

then buy a ps5 when a game worth playing comes out. I never got to play demon souls so want to play that as soon as i can

I'm glad I live near a Smyths which will probably be the most reliable come release time, prob will be a nightmare trying to get one pre christmas

If you don't pre order and get release day, you'd be as well wait til mid January, the only people I'd imagine paying scalp prices will be uninformed parents who didn't get out in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Microsoft have played a blinder, the price point, game pass etc. I had zero interest in the Xbox series s but given the price it's tempting. PS4 has brought me joy and I couldn't live without 5 of their exclusives but maybe pick it up down the line. Tbh who knows atm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement