Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Assume likes of Gamestop will do a type of trade in for PS4? I think I remember them doing it for the PS4 at launch, anyone remember if it was any use? Might be better off selling the PS4 a few months before ps5 is launched to get the best price to put towards a ps5

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll be looking out for the ps4 deal, though the ps4 pro will devalue the ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yup, I reckon I'll trade up too, but will have to swap back the HDD before I do, don't think I'll get anything extra for it having an SSD! Especially if the PS5 can play PS4 games, but as I type this I remember I only have 1 physical game for the PS4, so madness not to trade up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I upgraded my ps3 to 1tb then swapped with the 500gb ps4 drive when I got that. So if trading, I'll swap them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Still early days but atm im leaning toward Xbox for my next console.

Have a PC aswell so game pass becomes tremendous value if i was to have an Xbox aswell.

Lots of things between then and now could change my mind,things like losing access to my PS4 library may be too much,but for the moment thats what im thinking.

• Advertisement

I dunno with the new Xbox, I didn't get the One and I don't feel like I've missed anything, aside from Forza. I'll still be getting the PS5, but I won't be getting then Xbox unless something comes out on it that I can't ignore.

Spot on for this gen,never felt the pull of xbox either. They have nothing i couldnt eventually play elsewhere.

They have invested heavily in buying up a few studios recently enough though so id expect that to change a bit for their next console but that could take a few years to bear fruit.

My attraction to gamepass is that i play on console with my IRL mates and they are mostly into conventional stuff,i could see them all having gamepass and being happy with just that,means i could have that too and get the benefit of the games on the PC pass aswell. For me this is actually a really big selling point.

We'll see though,lot of time for things to happen in the next few months that could easily change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

EoinHef wrote: »
    Still early days but atm im leaning toward Xbox for my next console.

Have a PC aswell so game pass becomes tremendous value if i was to have an Xbox aswell.

Lots of things between then and now could change my mind,things like losing access to my PS4 library may be too much,but for the moment thats what im thinking.

Why not just build a gaming PC and buy a PS5 then ?

That will fulfill your scenario with Gamepass access.

I have a gaming PC already,thats why gamepass is so attractive. The pass works on both PC and console with one sub.

Id get the benfit of it on both platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps5/

No info other than holiday 2020

Also sign up for updates/newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Varik wrote: »
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps5/

No info other than holiday 2020

Also sign up for updates/newsletter

Wonder does that mean no news for a while?

I can’t see them waiting until May/June to reveal some details, so I hope we get a PS4-esque event the end of this month or next.

Wonder does that mean no news for a while?

I can’t see them waiting until May/June to reveal some details, so I hope we get a PS4-esque event the end of this month or next.

A live stream maybe, but a month is too short to have an actual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

What do ye expect this will cost? My PS4 is giving serious trouble so think Im going to hold off in the hope this is backwards compatible. We will prob be looking at 5-600€?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What do ye expect this will cost? My PS4 is giving serious trouble so think Im going to hold off in the hope this is backwards compatible. We will prob be looking at 5-600€?

I'm thinking it will be €/$500, hoping it doesn't exceed that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm thinking it will be €/$500, hoping it doesn't exceed that anyway.

Ah yeah sounds about right. Just reading there that they likely wont announce price until after the XBox reveal theirs, hopefully that will mean they will undercut them and make it cheaper for us. WIll be great if backwards compatible and you can download your PS4 digital buys to the PS5.

The Rumours are MS will have their 2 versions, and price one higher and one lower. Rumour so far is series S for 400, PS5 for 500, and Series x for 600.

Honestly I don't think Sony will give a price until much later, and try to push the price down as far as they can. If it was 100 separating it from the S and the X then that's one thing but if they could push that down to 50 and 150 then it's a much bigger deal.

Sony went into the PS2 era at the top and milked it, and then pushed it too far with PS2 to the PS3. I think they're looking at their 100m+ PS4 sold and wonder how to maintain those customers, and what cost now is warranted.

I reckon $400 is their target.

If I had a console as successful as the PS4 I would stray very little from the formula that made it successful.

$400 would convert to about €450 here (with VAT). $500 would be €560.

I thought there was a rumour they could be doing the same as MS, a normal and Pro version on launch? I'll be getting the more powerful one if that's the case, and I'd expect about €700 for that, €500 for the base console. If it's cheaper, bonus game on release for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I thought there was a rumour they could be doing the same as MS, a normal and Pro version on launch? I'll be getting the more powerful one if that's the case, and I'd expect about €700 for that, €500 for the base console. If it's cheaper, bonus game on release for me!

Ah they’d be silly to release a €700 console, can’t see that selling well especially if they have an alternative that’s 200 quid cheaper. I’m hoping it’s not more than €550 and has some launch titles worth getting it for, backwards compatibility with PS4 would be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I reckon $400 is their target.

If I had a console as successful as the PS4 I would stray very little from the formula that made it successful.

$400 would convert to about €450 here (with VAT). $500 would be €560.

The PS4 launched at $399 and was €399 here. SOny and MS both too the hit with VAT.

Basically the $ = € price with consoles.

• Advertisement

Not even sure MS will released a lower console at launch.

Sony need to convert their current base to it, so keeping the price down is very important. While MS either need to undercut for the same or offer something more at a somewhat justifiable increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not even sure MS will released a lower console at launch.

I imagine they will use the Xbox One X as their lower tier system as they have no next gen exclusives for the first 2 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

From peoples previous experience of trading in ps3 against ps4, what rough euro amount would you reckon it would be for ps5?

I intended to wait for 18 months out from ps5 launch to pick it up. I wanted to allow for any manufacturing failure issues to be ironed out and no major releases that probably wont be cross generation. I'd be tempted with good price to pick up from day one!

The PS4 launched at $399 and was €399 here. SOny and MS both too the hit with VAT.

Basically the $ = € price with consoles.
    $399 in Nov 2013 was about €295

$399 today is €365

There will not be a direct dollar to euro price this time around, unless the exchange rate changes massively between now and when they announce the price.
    It's why people should stop saying they will be happy or 'okay' with a $499 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

$399 in Nov 2013 was about €295

$399 today is €365

There will not be a direct dollar to euro price this time around, unless the exchange rate changes massively between now and when they announce the price.
    It's why people should stop saying they will be happy or 'okay' with a $499 price.

I agree with captain Chaos on this. Would be shocked if there is not a direct dollar to euro price for the PS5. Since the Xbox360 all consoles have been priced the same in euro/ dollar. The Xbox 360 launched in Nov 2005. The 20Gb addition was $399 (US)/ €399 (EU). At this point the conversion was $399 = €340.

The list goes on below. Euro to dollar fluctuations had not had an impact on european prices. Not saying this won't change for this generation but there is nothing to suggest that it will.

Wii - Dec 2006 - $249/ €249 ($:€ = 0.75)
    PS3 - Mar 2007 = $599/ €599 ($:€ = 0.75)
    PS4 Pro - Nov 2016 = $399/€399 ($:€ = 0.94)
    Xbox One X - Nov 2017 - $499/ €499 (($:€ = 0.86)

Just to clarify the PS3 wasn't 600 here in Ireland it was 630

Vat is included with those for euro, but ye price point is the key part.

Exchange might change but the value perception doesn't too much and they price for the market, so €=$is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Just to clarify the PS3 wasn't 600 here in Ireland it was 630

Vat is included with those for euro, but ye price point is the key part.

Exchange might change but the value perception doesn't too much and they price for the market, so €=$is likely.

Yes, the additional fee for Ireland was the Weee recycling fee as far as I recall. The 360 was priced at 420 here (also because of said fee). This was an Irish specific charge, not set by MS/ Sony.

I agree with captain Chaos on this. Would be shocked if there is not a direct dollar to euro price for the PS5. Since the Xbox360 all consoles have been priced the same in euro/ dollar. The Xbox 360 launched in Nov 2005. The 20Gb addition was $399 (US)/ €399 (EU). At this point the conversion was $399 = €340.

The list goes on below. Euro to dollar fluctuations had not had an impact on european prices. Not saying this won't change for this generation but there is nothing to suggest that it will.

Wii - Dec 2006 - $249/ €249 ($:€ = 0.75)
    PS3 - Mar 2007 = $599/ €599 ($:€ = 0.75)
    PS4 Pro - Nov 2016 = $399/€399 ($:€ = 0.94)
    Xbox One X - Nov 2017 - $499/ €499 (($:€ = 0.86)
    People outside Europe can buy from here at the ex-VAT price. An American can go onto Amazon.fr (or any number of large Euro webstores) and buy things ex-VAT.

Sony don't want a situation where it is significantly cheaper for an American (individual or reseller) to buy a PS5 from Europe than it is to buy locally, even allowing for shipping costs.

Electronics giants try to avoid this scenario because it pisses off retailers and distributors, causes shortages in one region and surplus in another etc. You get scalpers buying up consoles to resell on ebay.

This was less relevant a decade ago because cross-border purchases were less common, some of those consoles (Wii etc) did not have multi-voltage transformers etc.

I'm not a financial guru but Euro may be weaker by the time PS5 goes on sale. Take a $499/€499 scenario and run the numbers.

We will not know the price for some time, it is usually one of the last things to be announced. Lots can change between now and then.

Yes, the additional fee for Ireland was the Weee recycling fee as far as I recall. The 360 was priced at 420 here (also because of said fee). This was an Irish specific charge, not set by MS/ Sony.

None of the prices are set my either MS or Sony, they're the recommended retail prices.

Wasn't anything to do with either our higher vat or the WEEE both of which still exist but haven't effected new releases, just more Celtic tiger rip off republic nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement