Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I own a standalone 4k blu ray player so that part doesn't bother me. Understandable reason though to go the disk version

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I live the thought of collecting physicals but the reality is i buy and sell with the money going to the next game. System that has enabled me to get any games i want without paying full price. I get digital Indies and when there's a good sale. I think the diskless version looks a lot better but the disk version all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I live the thought of collecting physicals but the reality is i buy and sell with the money going to the next game. System that has enabled me to get any games i want without paying full price. I get digital Indies and when there's a good sale. I think the diskless version looks a lot better but the disk version all the way for me.

Pretty much the same here. Trade in and 2nd hand market gives so much more value for money for me, definitely be getting disk version. Only question is whether to get on release with a pre order (what my hype orientated heart says) or wait until next year when they'll be more game selection and any bugs ironed out ( stupid sensible head)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

If game share is possible il be going digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One reason for buying physical means easier when giving parents/brother my santa list. :)

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Sweet!
    As for the HDMI, they can have one of the ones that was bought in Dealz for €1.49 that I've lying around :pac:

Got 48 cash for the PS3, would have gotten 54 but the controller was red and didn't match the console. Also got 48 for my blue DS4 totalling 350 cash (also sold VR, 2 ps3 games and 1 ps4 game.)

All i have left is my ps4, one controller and death stranding. Hoping to platinum that and then selling both by next weekend. Going all in with the ps5 backwards compatibility, probably being foolish.

I have Mafia 1 paid for so might keep that for PS5 launch. I have a feeling the ps4 pro will take an awful dip in cash price if i wait too long. 237 at the moment.

My ideal launch lineup is looking like Demons Souls remake, Mafia 1 remake and if rumours are true, Mass Effect Trilogy remake :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I remain a little concerned about how storage is going to work across all the next-gen consoles. Unless SSD speeds really allow developers to significantly compress or cut down on install sizes (by removing duplicate files etc...) I do fear 700-800gb is going to be very small, especially when the expanded drives are likely to be fairly costly too. I mean the ludicrous Warzone / Modern Warfare install would knock a good third off your storage space right off the bat (an outlier, admittedly, but install sizes are on the up). A cheap external HDD was always an option before, but that's off the table now.

Hope it won't be a matter of hard-drive cleaning every time you go to install a new game after a few months / years.

I've even found the terabyte to be lacking with the ps4. Ssd prices are dropping so see 2tb being an option eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've even found the terabyte to be lacking with the ps4. Ssd prices are dropping so see 2tb being an option eventually.

PS5 doesn't use a standard SSD drive though so don't be expecting prices to be reasonable for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

TitianGerm wrote: »
    PS5 doesn't use a standard SSD drive though so don't be expecting prices to be reasonable for a long time.

To lazy to look it up but I would assume standard ssd's will work and you will have to load the games you want to play onto the PS5 custom HD

• Advertisement

To lazy to look it up but I would assume standard ssd's will work and you will have to load the games you want to play onto the PS5 custom HD

I wouldn't be assuming anything until Sony release the details. The system may not read any other SSD for all we know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’ve said it will support PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, but only ones Sony has signed off on (since the console’s SSD speeds are substantially faster than most current SSD models). Since those SSDs aren’t actually widely available yet, they’re likely to be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya but you could still still use a 4TB usb external drive to store install data and swap it into the super fast nvme drive when needed. Like recovering from tape drives!

They’ve said it will support PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, but only ones Sony has signed off on (since the console’s SSD speeds are substantially faster than most current SSD models). Since those SSDs aren’t actually widely available yet, they’re likely to be costly.

I got a Corsair MP600 the other day. £100 for 500GB.

The only others I could find are a Sabrant and Gigabyte Auros. Both around the same price for 500GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sony dreams of the days of their proprietary storage solutions. “If only these consoles could use a new type of Memory Stick”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The Director of Sound Engineers at Playstation was not allowed to see all the content in the upcoming show, its seems that Sony is hiding huge things

https://twitter.com/jeremievoillot/status/1304864982752849920?s=19

From reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kema

where can i reserve a PS5 in dublin?

Kema wrote: »
    where can i reserve a PS5 in dublin?

Gamestop are taking reservations for 50 euro but it's not official yet as Sony hasn't announced a release date or price yet. Hoping they do it at their online event this Wednesday. Once they announce the preorder date, you should be able to preorder officially from wherever will be doing it, Smyths, Gamestop, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Gamestop are taking reservations for 50 euro but it's not official yet as Sony hasn't announced a release date or price yet. Hoping they do it at their online event this Wednesday. Once they announce the preorder date, you should be able to preorder officially from wherever will be doing it, Smyths, Gamestop, etc.

Yeah I'm waiting for the offfical date and price before placing any preorder. Brother preordered in GameStop, mentioned that they said you could place order on extra controller or the headset too and that they have list of games to preorder.

Yeah I'm waiting for the offfical date and price before placing any preorder. Brother preordered in GameStop, mentioned that they said you could place order on extra controller or the headset too and that they have list of games to preorder.

I'm hoping to preorder with smyths as soon as they go live, for collection in my local, won't have to worry about posty arriving with it on launch day. I have no in idea about GS preorders but I'd say they have a fair few already in each store and who knows how many units they'll actually get. I'll stick with the 1 controller for the time being. If games are 80. Quid a pop like NBA 2K21 will be, games won't be easy to just splash the cash on multiples.

• Advertisement

Can you do online preorders with Smyth's?

Can you do online preorders with Smyth's?

Not confirmed yet but if it's anything like their games, you can preorder online and choose whether to have yours delivered direct to you or collect from your local store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's the likelihood of getting one at launch if you reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What's the likelihood of getting one at launch if you reserve?

Depends on how quick you pre order. Do it in day one e first thing and you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I was thinking of checking if they were doing per-orders in store, but have been avoiding shops for the most part. The one thing I would be worried about with Gamestop, is there financial situation is not the best right now.

I will order online with Smyths, not to bothered if I get it a day or 2 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Depends on how quick you pre order. Do it in day one e first thing and you should be ok

Yea I think the window will be generous enough, but you would probably need to pre-order it on day one. I can see it selling out on amazon very quickly though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remain a little concerned about how storage is going to work across all the next-gen consoles. Unless SSD speeds really allow developers to significantly compress or cut down on install sizes (by removing duplicate files etc...) I do fear 700-800gb is going to be very small, especially when the expanded drives are likely to be fairly costly too. I mean the ludicrous Warzone / Modern Warfare install would knock a good third off your storage space right off the bat (an outlier, admittedly, but install sizes are on the up). A cheap external HDD was always an option before, but that's off the table now.

Hope it won't be a matter of hard-drive cleaning every time you go to install a new game after a few months / years.

Warzone is only so big because their stream engine is garbage and they have to keep multiple versions of the texture files in the game files. The SSD would eliminate that but with games pushing 80-120 GB now and only going to increase I can see HD space being a massive issue. The 500 GB on my PS4 is nonwhere near enough and I barely use the thing. I'm constantly deleting and swap data on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Games optimized for the PS5 will be much smaller than the current generation of games. Mark Cerny outlined this in his tech presentation. The fact that traditional games where coded for use of a HDD, there had to be multiple duplicate assets located throughout the game code to allow quick access for the platter. This will not be a problem with the SSD system.

Corey Barlow had an interesting tweet...
    https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1304854808604491778?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

God of War 2 anyone ?
    ;)

Cory loves the ol' twitter but something is definitely brewing. Dev Geoff tweeted this and other Santa Monica devs replying, some with GoW memes. Could see something this Wednesday but if not, GoW 2 is definitely happening, especially with the little cutscene at the end of 1.

https://twitter.com/GeoffHarrower/status/1303825928569544705?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Games optimized for the PS5 will be much smaller than the current generation of games. Mark Cerny outlined this in his tech presentation. The fact that traditional games where coded for use of a HDD, there had to be multiple duplicate assets located throughout the game code to allow quick access for the platter. This will not be a problem with the SSD system.

Corey Barlow had an interesting tweet...
    https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1304854808604491778?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

God of War 2 anyone ?
    ;)

It is certainly coming but I think it is another 2 years away yet.

As one of the PS4's biggest exclusives, I expect it to be front and centre if they announce last gen upgrades.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement