Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Was just thinking there with everything going on with the COVID **** at the moment I wonder will they do midnight launches for the PS5 and Xbox consoles?

I was at one for the PS4 it was smooth enough but I dunno they might change things up this time around. Be interesting to see how the planned one coming up goes I think it's for Fifa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Was just thinking there with everything going on with the COVID **** at the moment I wonder will they do midnight launches for the PS5 and Xbox consoles?

I was at one for the PS4 it was smooth enough but I dunno they might change things up this time around. Be interesting to see how the planned one coming up goes I think it's for Fifa?

Highly doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Can't imagine they won't. As long as they limit the amount of people in-store and comply with social distancing, which shouldn't be a problem at this stage. The way Smyths work your pre-order would be already paid for so that makes it easier again.

Ya, I can see both sides of it and why they would or wouldn't.

To be honest, if the option is there and it won't go on forever ill do it otherwise ill be happy to just head down on the day. Ideally, I would like to try and get a pre-order in the local Smyths in Tallaght but if I am working that day I will have to try get one in Parnell street. This then becomes an issue on the day of picking it up as I don't fancy coming home from town on the Luas with a PS5 :P

Ya, I can see both sides of it and why they would or wouldn't.

To be honest, if the option is there and it won't go on forever ill do it otherwise ill be happy to just head down on the day. Ideally, I would like to try and get a pre-order in the local Smyths in Tallaght but if I am working that day I will have to try get one in Parnell street. This then becomes an issue on the day of picking it up as I don't fancy coming home from town on the Luas with a PS5 :P

I'm just gonna take the day off work and pick it up in the morning. I went to the Henry St GameStop midnight launch of the PS4 and it was ****ing ****e. After a day in work I will be too tired to open it that night anyway.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm just gonna take the day off work and pick it up in the morning. I went to the Henry St GameStop midnight launch of the PS4 and it was ****ing ****e. After a day in work I will be too tired to open it that night anyway.

Ya i plan on taking holidays around the time its out anyway as there's a few family birthdays around the time. The day after the PS4 was launched my son was born so at least there wont be any surprises like that this time around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PS4 (and Xbox One) launches I went to were grand. though I was first in line for both. got home, plugged the console in, set whatever downloads I wanted going, and then went to bed. Console ready to go after breakfast in the morning.

PS4 (and Xbox One) launches I went to were grand. though I was first in line for both. got home, plugged the console in, set whatever downloads I wanted going, and then went to bed. Console ready to go after breakfast in the morning.

Gamestop on Henry St was a nightmare for the PS4 launch. It was full of scangers smoking weed in the queue. Their queuing system was moronic, you had to queue twice, once to pay and once to collect it, but the system was so ****e that the people there first ended up paying first but collecting their console last. When I got to the counter they were giving me ****e about not having correct ID, this is despite me having the actual receipt and all. Worst of all they had a full-on band playing the entire time right next to the ****ing queue and was insanely loud, I nearly went def.

I went to a local Xtravision for the midnight launch of GTAV the year before. It took them ****ing ages to sell every copy cos they were trying to upsell everyone on accessories and PSN vouchers. I'm never going to a midnight launch again.

It'll be worse this year with covid, I think I'll be skipping the midnight launch as well.

It'll be worse this year with covid, I think I'll be skipping the midnight launch as well.

If anything, the social distancing might make it slightly better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It will be real nice if you could pay in full before getting to the store, that way you just give an order number and they come out with the console. Keeping it all outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

It will be real nice if you could pay in full before getting to the store, that way you just give an order number and they come out with the console. Keeping it all outside.

You can pay off the full price once we know it

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I think that’s how Smyths works. They charge you the day before and you just go in and pick it up.

The last midnight launch I was at was red dead and only one person was allowed in the shop at a time and it was a good system tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I picked up my PS3 at midnight in a 24 hour Tesco. Me and one other guy there, about 15 minutes beforehand, so we just got chatting about the console. No preorders, not much awareness among staff but there was a display showing the release date and they were able to get one from the store room and scan it through once midnight came. This was in the UK though, may not apply in Ireland.

I think that’s how Smyths works. They charge you the day before and you just go in and pick it up.

The last midnight launch I was at was red dead and only one person was allowed in the shop at a time and it was a good system tbf.

Ah yes you're right, the last midnight launch I went to was the Switch, and I want ed to pay by part cash part card which held things up. I was an awkward one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just need to try figure out what all games/accessories I'll be getting at launch with the console and what I'll save for Xmas present wishlists.

quokula wrote: »
    I picked up my PS3 at midnight in a 24 hour Tesco. Me and one other guy there, about 15 minutes beforehand, so we just got chatting about the console. No preorders, not much awareness among staff but there was a display showing the release date and they were able to get one from the store room and scan it through once midnight came. This was in the UK though, may not apply in Ireland.

I walked into the Game on Dawson St on the day of release and picked one up. Place was empty. That €629 price tag sure was a turn off to a lot of people.
    Ah yes you're right, the last midnight launch I went to was the Switch, and I want ed to pay by part cash part card which held things up. I was an awkward one :pac:

There is a special place in hell reserved for people like you.

There is a special place in hell reserved for people like you.

I only got 229 for my communion money the year the switch came out so had to put the rest on my card :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Smyth's were an absolute joke for Red Dead. It took 20 minutes to get it despite being maybe 8th in the queue, in the rain with the place stinking of weed. I was in and out, don't know why everyone else took so long. Had to listen to your one in front moaning the whole time "it's only a game like, are you for serious"

It would be my first console launch though...

I only got 229 for my communion money the year the switch came out so had to put the rest on my card :D

Out of curiosity, I have never gotten a pre-ordered launch console in Smyths. Is it the same as when you pre-order a game? ie no deposit, you just give them your card details and they charge you the day before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

People that are pre ordering for collection are you not afraid of a lockdown and shops being closed?

rafi bomb wrote: »
    People that are pre ordering for collection are you not afraid of a lockdown and shops being closed?

will be getting online only if I can, but if the only other option is in-store I'll take my chances.

In that event they will likely change it to a delivery, that is what happened with my pre-ordered copy of RE3. I am planning on pre-ordering with Amazon as well just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

When The Last of Us 2 came out I was due to pick it up at my nearest Gameshtop. I had it sorted to have it posted to me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now I'm curious what you call communion money if you're old enough to have a card to charge things to
    Out of curiosity, I have never gotten a pre-ordered launch console in Smyths. Is it the same as when you pre-order a game? ie no deposit, you just give them your card details and they charge you the day before.

No deposit. All taken from the card when you collect. It will be marked for payment from the day before, I think.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Now I'm curious what you call communion money if you're old enough to have a card to charge things to

I was joking but technically a minor can have a card from Revolut Junior from the age of 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Probably sound like a crank, but that ad did nothing for me. No info, no gameplay, no cameos really even.

Just don't see the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

RedXIV wrote: »
    Probably sound like a crank, but that ad did nothing for me. No info, no gameplay, no cameos really even.

Just don't see the point?

They've always made ads like that. Just a sign that we're getting closer really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Was in GameStop in Dundrum today, they aren’t taking pre-orders anymore just ‘expressions of interest’ and they wanted a deposit to do that.

No idea if they’re guaranteeing earlier ones

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement