Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd still doubt there wouldn't be another "refresh" mid cycle though, I don't see it lasting 7 years from launch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd still doubt there wouldn't be another "refresh" mid cycle though, I don't see it lasting 7 years from launch

Yeah, but they know there's idiots like me out there who will buy the best version and upgrade down the line anyway, because fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, but they know there's idiots like me out there who will buy the best version and upgrade down the line anyway, because fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Same tbh, for the same reasons the PS4 Pro came out we'll see a PS5 refresh
    Money

With it now being the seeming industry standard, they won't face much backlash for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Sony are very quiet about this console, that combined with MS bullishness makes me think that they might be a bit behind in terms of power. The Xbox does look very promising... but can they get the games this time around? Honestly, I'd amazed to see either of these coming out this year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

We're almost a year out since that Wired article where Cerny drop a load of detail.

Can't remember how much was know or dropped before MS did their press conference but Sony definitely isn't doing this normally even from a early stage. Who knows what their thinking is in this, maybe this is all was some elaborate plan to stoke the rumour mill for so long, there hasn't been a week gone by without some random patent or interview with some tiny piece of possible information.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gigabyte/hard drive/SSD bolloxology. Nothing on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

"So we ran the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas...... "

This fella is soooo boring....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'm loving it.
    Standard m.2 will fit or external hdd. Sweet.
    Yessss. Most PS4 games playable at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Be a very interesting generation in terms of Xbox v PS. Xbox has the more tflop grunt but PS5 gonna have a lot faster load speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

J. Marston wrote: »
    Gigabyte/hard drive/SSD bolloxology. Nothing on games.

It was a deep dive on system architecture,what did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Specs seem a good bit off the xbox. Hope it's going to be a cheaper system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm loving it.
    Standard m.2 will fit or external hdd. Sweet.
    Yessss. Most PS4 games playable at launch.

Not all M2s will fit.

SSDs with PCI Gen 4 are expensive at the minute. A Corsair MP600 will set you back £200 for 1TB. Sabrent make decent drives as well but even those are usually £150+ for 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

And just like that, he was gone...

More please.
    The 10.2 TFlop has been looking more likely, but the architecture with the ssd looks like a winner.

Take my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm excited at the prospect of improved in-game audio. I keep banging this drum, but it's an area that has stagnated for years. Finally, we're seeing (or hearing) some movement on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't even think it will load faster. Big hit to cpu speed will slow down decompression which is a massive factor for loading.

Looking forward to the Digital Foundry videos now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

I know that this was for game developers anda deep dive but surely they'd have known that a lot of people would be tuning in to get their 1st glimpse of the PS5?? I mean that was utterly boring.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't even think it will load faster. Big hit to cpu speed will slow down decompression which is a massive factor for loading.

it's 2.4 GB/s vs 5.5GB/s uncompressed, then 4.8 GB/s vs 8-9GB/s compressed

Neither CPU is handling decompression.

Seemed kind of like damage control. "Here's why our specs are not as bad as they seem" type thing.

I'm very pleased with M.2 expansion. I much prefer a standard form-factor (with whitelist or 'recommended list') to the proprietary Xbox solution. Will result in lower prices.

825GB is a joke (bearing in mind some will be system reserved) but the standard form-factor expansion softens the blow somewhat.

Frequency scaling is kinda worrying. It seems very un-console like.

I'm sure the audio will be great but it's not a selling point for me.

I did not expect pre-PS4 compatibility. Safe to say we can rule it out now, he would have mentioned it if it was a thing.

Price is going to be very interesting. I said all along this would be a $399 system. More sure of it now.

It looks like a very economically designed system, same as PS4. A lot of bang for buck. Series X is gonna trounce it but could be $599.

Seemed kind of like damage control. "Here's why our specs are not as bad as they seem" type thing.

I'm very pleased with M.2 expansion. I much prefer a standard form-factor (with whitelist or 'recommended list') to the proprietary Xbox solution. Will result in lower prices.

825GB is a joke (bearing in mind some will be system reserved) but the standard form-factor expansion softens the blow somewhat.

Frequency scaling is kinda worrying. It seems very un-console like.

I did not expect pre-PS4 compatibility. Safe to say we can rule it out now, he would have mentioned it if it was a thing.

Price is going to be very interesting. I said all along this would be a $399 system. More sure of it now.

It looks like a very economically designed system, same as PS4. A lot of bang for buck. Series X is gonna trounce it but could be $599.

$399 would be a very reasonable price. Might be more expensive here though the way exchange rates have changed since the last gen launch.

Very interesting few months ahead. Would Microsoft sell the Series X for $450 and include 12 months Game Pass. They have a serious revenue stream there that may allow them to sell the Series X below cost and recoup it in the long term on a successful subscription service.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    $399 would be a very reasonable price. Might be more expensive here though the way exchange rates have changed since the last gen launch.

Very interesting few months ahead. Would Microsoft sell the Series X for $450 and include 12 months Game Pass. They have a series revenue stream there that may allow them to sell the Series X below cost and recoup it in the long term on a successful subscription service.
    Yeah, I generally talk & think in terms of USD for console prices, because that's how they lock it in themselves. And then as for the price here, we'll just have to see how things are in November or whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It was his GDC talk but Cerny is a bit of a dose to listen to. The audio part was from the moon.
    I'm kinda surprised they didn't show the system itself today. Instead they just illustrated everything

Looking at the system details I imagine they are trying to keep the price point down which unintentionally is not be the worst idea right now. The idea of paying something like 600 for a new console in 2020 is wishful thinking, for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I really like how they’re really doubling down on speed. Next to no loading times is really something I’ll enjoy and appreciate vs slightly better graphics.

I like how they’re going with off the shelf SSDs instead of proprietary cards, which surprised me.

Can't really see the xbox being cheaper but they might take a hit to get more people on gamespass

Cerny going on about frequency is more important than compute units seems very strange. Teraflops is not a great comparison but running more compute units at lower clock is far better than the ps5 with less cu's at a high frequency. Seems like damage control.

However Microsoft are paying for more silicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Skimmed through the video and I choose to believe they just announced acquiring the Dead Space IP. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I really like how they’re really doubling down on speed. Next to no loading times is really something I’ll enjoy and appreciate vs slightly better graphics.

I think that was the N64's strategy against the first playstation :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement