Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would have definitely hid and stayed in bed after the 25 minute sleep, and joined up with them for the 2nd episode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Only if you don't understand it tbh.

:D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fantastic viewing only stumbled on this the other night so went back and watched the first season. Well done to Grace, tough out. My cousin done ARW selection before, he failed early but he filled me in on it and it's insane what they do to ya. This is fairly watered down in comparison.
    Looking forward to season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

SO happy it's finally Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ger Reidy, what a man! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Shut the f#@k up and stop thanking me - classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I thought this was on of a Tuesday night?did they change the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I thought this was on of a Tuesday night?did they change the day

It was Thursday last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Must be great at the breakfast table
    “Daddy I’ve enough cereal”

“YOU WANT TO D.O. NUMBER 2?
    GET DOWN AND CRAWL”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rough stuff again

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tough going that. I applied to be on the show, got as far as the phone interview but that was it unfortunately, ah well.

While I agree this is one of the toughest things a civvy can put themselves through and I take my hat off to anyone that even attempted it, some of the previous contestants saying that this is probably harder than actual selection is just wrong. I seen it mentioned on Instagram last week and was shocked. Yeah this is seriously tough, but I can only imagine that its a watered down version of what actually happens on selection.

Roll on next week, some tough fcukers left in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That was a good show tonight.

On a pass/fail test test, depending on what awareness (of this test) and the candidates prep.. I'm assuming they didn't know there was a pass/fail test and didn't put in the work.. Hard to call it, but six fails seems a lot (out of 22?).

The lad with the sciatica on only day two, best of luck finishing this course (hope his twin bro is a miracle worker).

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    While I agree this is one of the toughest things a civvy can put themselves through and I take my hat off to anyone that even attempted it, some of the previous contestants saying that this is probably harder than actual selection is just wrong. I seen it mentioned on Instagram last week and was shocked. Yeah this is seriously tough, but I can only imagine that its a watered down version of what actually happens on selection.

Tougher than selection lol.. Its not even as tough as general recruitment ffs but hats off to civilians putting themselves through this for a week with little reward at the end of it.

That was a good show tonight.

On a pass/fail test test, depending on what awareness (of this test) and the candidates prep.. I'm assuming they didn't know there was a pass/fail test and didn't put in the work.. Hard to call it, but six fails seems a lot (out of 22?).

The lad with the sciatica on only day two, best of luck finishing this course (hope his twin bro is a miracle worker).
    Yeh, we didn’t see much of Black or Redmond during the climb, they must have smashed it and possibly back before the group of three, off camera.

Very unfortunate with the injury, the two lads seem like they could go far, but I reckon they’ll be boxing each other next week.
    Tougher than selection lol.. Its not even as tough as general recruitment ffs but hats off to civilians putting themselves through this for a week with little reward at the end of it.
    You’ll find it on the winners instagram, “yeah definitely hell week is easily 2 or 3 times as hard as the “actual” selection” .

I had to leave it at that, couldn’t argue further. I like the fella but absolutely ridiculous statement to make.

You’ll find it on the winners instagram, “yeah definitely hell week is easily 2 or 3 times as hard as the “actual” selection” .

I'd lose my sh*t lol, but if it makes them feel better about themselves let 'em be.

I ran the defence forces An Cosantoir 10k with some of the contestants last year, they were all very fit (fitter than me over the 10k). They were a great bunch. I had a dreadful chest infection and was struggling after 8km when one of the lads (Paul) stopped and offered me assistance.

Fit bunch of lads and girls, but lets me real lol.

Like last year I'm really enjoying this years show. Brilliant stuff.

I'd lose my sh*t lol, but if it makes them feel better about themselves let 'em be.

I ran the defence forces An Cosantoir 10k with some of the contestants last year, they were all very fit (fitter than me over the 10k). They were a great bunch. I had a dreadful chest infection and was struggling after 8km when one of the lads (Paul) stopped and offered me assistance.

Fit bunch of lads and girls, but lets me real lol.

Like last year I'm really enjoying this years show. Brilliant stuff.
    Yeah I tried not getting too wound up, I left it at that haha.

Yeh I seen that on IG, nice to see them getting an invite. As I said no disrespect to any of them, serious achievement as a civvie, something I would only love to attempt.

I was thinking to myself they couldn’t be that heartless to have the two brothers fight, but remembered what Ger is like this season, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I had a dreadful chest infection and was struggling after 8km when one of the lads (Paul) stopped and offered me assistance.

I can never understand fun runners who insist on training and competing when they are in ill health. A colleague of mine did a half marathon with a bad chest and missed 6 weeks of work when he developed pneumonia after. I mean why would ya?!

Is the scrapping win/lose challenge?

Yeh I seen that on IG, nice to see them getting an invite. As I said no disrespect to any of them, serious achievement as a civvie, something I would only love to attempt.

I was thinking to myself they couldn’t be that heartless to have the two brothers fight, but remembered what Ger is like this season, haha.

For sure, I've absolute respect for any civilians putting themselves through this. At least when we do it we've the promise of a career at the end (and its a lot longer than a week lol). For a civilian to willingly put themselves through this, I've much respect.

The fight, I think its only 60 seconds and there's no winner or loser. They're just looking for aggression and determination (if memory serves me correctly).

Even if its a fight, meh.. Shake hands, get it on and in a few minutes we're buds again. Its no biggie, but if you're new to combat sports I guess its pretty scary and unsavory to face off against a brother or friend.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I can never understand fun runners who insist on training and competing when they are in ill health. A colleague of mine did a half marathon with a bad chest and missed 6 weeks of work when he developed pneumonia after. I mean why would ya?!

Neither can us who do 'fun runs'.. I'm a competitive Judoka and regularly run/race (plus cycle & swim) various events and I've fought/competed with all sorts of ailments and injuries, why do we do it I've no idea but we do and often against very good advice too.

Its silly really because this one I ended up on two courses of antibiotics and set my training back months but hey, what ya gonna do!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Padraig o Hora has a MMA background as far as i know so I wouldn't like to be squaring up to him next week! The same lad is starting corner back for Mayo this year.

Is the scrapping win/lose challenge?

Usually no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

In a funny way fighting your brother mightn't be that bad. I'm saying that from the comfort of home but just thinking about fighting my brother I can't see a problem, we went to fists often enough even though we'd be very close :D

Naggdefy wrote: »
    In a funny way fighting your brother mightn't be that bad. I'm saying that from the comfort of home but just thinking about fighting my brother I can't see a problem, we went to fists often enough even though we'd be very close :D

I'll be lambasted for saying it but the 2 brothers are a pulse racer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Big admiration for no 4. He will get a lot out of this. It's classical psychology of le non du pere. What he didn't have he wants 'discipline' in order to put it right from the start for his baby to be. Hats off big admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I ended up on two courses of antibiotics and set my training back months but hey, what ya gonna do!.

How about, umm, not?

The less antibiotics anyone has to take earlier in life, the better for their later life prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big admiration for no 4. He will get a lot out of this. It's classical psychology of le non du pere. What he didn't have he wants 'discipline' in order to put it right from the start for his baby to be. Hats off big admiration.

Can't believe he left his wife the week she is due to give birth that's something I could never do.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Can't believe he left his wife the week she is due to give birth that's something I could never do.

The course is only 7 days. I'd guess the show wouldn't take on someone who personal issues like this willy nilly so he's probably there with his partners blessing.

I'd say there's more to the story than 'yea the missus is due to give birth sometime this week'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The course is only 7 days. I'd guess the show wouldn't take on someone who personal issues like this willy nilly so he's probably there with his partners blessing.

I'd say there's more to the story than 'yea the missus is due to give birth sometime this week'.

I think it's as straight forward as he said. He said his father died when he was 7 and he went off the rails picked it up when his partner told him she was pregnant. When asked he said plain and simple he needs discipline. He needs that before seeing his child in order to deal with his past and begin things on the right footing. It's typical Le non du pere. Hopefully he gets to the stage at the end where the psychologist interviews him. Best of luck to them all win or lose they put in a great effort.

• Advertisement

I think it's as straight forward as he said. He said his father died when he was 7 and he went off the rails picked it up when his partner told him she was pregnant. When asked he said plain and simple he needs discipline. He needs that before seeing his child in order to deal with his past and begin things on the right footing. It's typical Le non du pere. Hopefully he gets to the stage at the end where the psychologist interviews him. Best of luck to them all win or lose they put in a great effort.

I suppose it makes good TV, but in the DF they like you to have your sh*t squared away so you're 100% in the game and you're not receiving calls to sort out affairs at home.

I'm not sure how much discipline a week running around Kilbride will instill him, but like you I wish him the best of luck and hey if he's young enough he might just be mad enough to consider a career in the DF after the show, he'll find the real thing a hell of a lot tougher than the show, tougher and longer but at least there's a career at the end.

The show gets a very brief mention here.

Also anyone interested in a career in the DF can start at military.ie

Advertisement