Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

In the real world their brains would be splattered all over the wall after a round of bullets.

The whole tactics of "cover story, delay, drip feed" wouldn't work realistically as the enemy knows what you're trying to do. You'd likely be getting tortured to get info from them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Kind of missing the point? It's an entertainment show which replicates some of the techniques used by special forces to pick suitable candidates.

It's interesting to see how much people can take of the various different challenges, what is too much for some people, how people face their fears etc.. Regardless of the "real world", I think anyone that gets to the very end of that event is a very strong individual indeed - and st. The three that got to the end were definitely deserving of their achievements, but it shows that just one thing can break someone - for example the young lad (Buggy was his surname) - he did really well and just panicked in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Only catching up on final episode now.

Absolutely disgusted they let number 7 go.

He got to end fair and square and was a good team player.

A joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

Watched on the player last night and thought 100% the same. Whatever about the personality, he didn't deserve to get dropped like that before the last part. Same for 23.

Felt so staged and yes I know it is an entertainment show, but that felt too contrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh it seemed unfair on 23 aswell, it's just that he got so little air time we didn't real get to know him. It was same with guy who bottled it in water challenge.

6 was definitely much weaker than those two if it was about people barely scrapping through.

I'm laughing at the crying baby 'torture' music + lack of sleep, as a mother of a 3mth old sure thats out daily life, so we all pass the survival test!🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised 11 passed interrogation. Thought he'd be pulled over the car Reg and cover letter

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Those ds lads are as tough as my last dose of diarrhoea.

I hope they bring back the undercover guy as a DS, he's very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patob

Enjoyed it once again but production was not great. No proper introduction of the contestants, some contestants got very little coverage, and very little on contestant background and backstories.

Quite a few have failed in the past during this part in the Irish and British versions. There's usually at least 1 who will fail. Seems like this year they really didn't want those 3 to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 AnotherMember

No 11's father knows DS Goggins. You see it on his instagram. Maybe thats why he got so much screen time and got away with so much. When recruit 22 was put in charge you could hear him trying to be heard all the time. Was very condescending. Might be another Rory's stories type partnership on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Not entirely accurate.

Torture has been proven not to work, the information gleaned is notoriously unreliable...as people will say anything.

If you are captured, and the person thinks you have valuable information, they keep you alive. Hence, drip feeding is how you try to stay alive longer, to give yourself the best chance possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What is the best chance possible though? Hoping for a remote chance of being located by your own forces and them executing a successful rescue mission? It would seem the odds are highly stacked against that in the real world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Its entirely situation dependent...in the real world.

In general though, it really really depends on the context. In a military context, if an enemy captures a small team, the assumption is that this is a reconnaissance party/group/patrol etc.

This means, other people are likely to know your location. There is usually a "support" or a security element near by. You would also consider that a full team would not be on site without an extraction plan.

It is in the enemies interest to find out where their next threat is coming from, and their associated intents and capabilities.

Hence, drip feed info. As the enemy cannot make a legitimate plan without filling in the unknowns. That makes you valuable to an extent.

yeah I suppose it is very much context dependent. Id be just thinking if you were captured by some African warlord thats going to be a long and painful death no matter what you tell them or how slowly you do it. But yeah in conventiional war your point about drip dripping till an extraction team can launch a rescue effort makes a lot of sense. Id wonder though if there are many examples of the captured surviving a rescue attempt, would think youd be shot as soon as they realise whats happening. Im sure some attempts are successful with the very best of special forces but would still think the odds are stacked against them no matter how good they are.

The actual interrogation phase on the program last 24 hours, any ideas what that would be on a real life course, would they be at it for 3 or 4 days, or maybe even longer? Would any special forces simulate techniques like waterboarding or electrocution, Im guessing they would have to as part of the training.

I think it's getting a bit repetitive now, they need to switch it up somehow, maybe change the DS's or something.

It's the same kind of tactics. "DO YOU WANT TO GO HOME"...."No"...."WELL GET THE FCUK UP THERE SO!"

Or they'll talk and use a lingo they use....."we call them heat seekers, they bring attention on themselves"

I think its always going to be reasonably the same becasue ultimately they are giving them a small flavour of what the real life selection course is like so the DS arent going to change from how they would run every course. They could maybe change up the events a bit more, perhaps introduce some challenge with weapons or split the group in two and play out a capture/evade event between two teams across the mountains.

If they changed up the location to somewhere foreign like a desert or jungle that'd certainly be interesting. I couldnt see it happening for cost reasons as the credits list the best part of 100 people working on the show. But I did like the way the SAS version changed up the usual Scottish highlands location of previous seasons to the Jordanian desert this year. It brings an extra level of difficulty when they are doing it in 40 degree heat in the desert.

Overall though I think its a good show, its one of the better things RTE have done lately. Im sure we'll all be back here later in the year for the celebrity version, if they invite Rorys Stories back for a second crack the thread is going to explode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Can you comment without mentioning Rorys Stories? You seem to have a serious hang up still banging on about it a year later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My favorite character in all of the series was Padraig O’Hora from 2 years ago. It was before he became a regular in the Mayo team, and he showed his personality and strength as he completed the course. Seems he is an all round good guy too with his work in social services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I do think they need to rethink the final test. The mission is a bit pointless if they know they're going to get captured and interrogated regardless. Did any of them honestly think they were going to get their samples and just make their way back to the boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Can't really because the next batch of contestants more than likely saw this series.

As a DS I mean. Not sure it would work with 5 of them though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

No. I can't. He did permanent damage to my head.

And it's farcical the way Goggins treated him with kid gloves and did the money making 'mental health' circuit with him after. The show lost credibility after that.

So I'll bang on as much as I please.

Yes Goggins went way down in my estimation and many others after his antics with the mentally weak Rory's Stories.

Rory was doing terribly and was kept on purely because he had a money spinner in the works. How can they get rid of lads who've done everything they asked in the regular series and then Rory fails all around him and is kept on?

I think it's pretty clear Rory and Goggins had an agreement pre series to do a tour on mental resilience etc. They would have had to have booked the venues well in advance. So then Rory is kept on well into the series and looks like he's mentally strong thus driving sales for the gig. Goggins sold out. All this talk of values and cutting out the BS. He fell on his own sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Great post. Agree totally. Very true about people who passed every test being dropped this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

New celebrity Ultimate Hell Week on the way starting 7th of September👇

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,285 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I've only heard of 3 of them 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Peter Finn is the only one I recognize (which probably says as much about me as anything else) . I'll be interested to see how he gets on. He usually comes across as a "head down get it done" type , I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some decent athletes there, interesting to see how they get on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement