Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

Felt Grace is such a loss to the Irish army.
    So impressed by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Read somewhere that the Army Rangers recruitment course just finished. 2 people passed out of 33 participants, unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Caledonia wrote: »
    Felt Grace is such a loss to the Irish army.
    So impressed by her.

When I think about some of the gobsh*tes I work with I have to agree :D

They have ads on RTE at the moment recruiting for series 2. Would imagine series 2 will get an even better level of contestant.

No real update on anything but thought I'd pass this one along.

I ran with some of the Hell Week guys in a work (defence forces) 10k on Wednesday.

We'd a great bit of craic about the show, most of us in work were particularly interested in what happened off camera, down time with the DS's etc

There was none, zero. And what they told us couldn't be made up without experience of it.

They're all still in great shape and some are running in the Dublin City Marathon in three weeks time, but what struck me was Paul (the big lad who pulled out at the tunnel). He showed real espirit de corp and lesson learned from his time with the show.

I've had a terrible chest infection all week and against my better judgement and advice from people I run with I ran the 10k anyway, and had an absolutely dreadful time.

At 8km I was really struggling, couldn't get a breath and was starting to cramp (this NEVER happens to me on a 10k).

I was wallowing at the back of the race (the roads had already opened) when a civilian car pulled up alongside me and Paul (recognizing me from earlier in the barracks) got out to cheer me along, he really gave me a pick up and gave me a new burst of energy.

Great guy and obviously took some lessons from us back into his civilian life.

As a soldier I was very proud to see him doing this for me.. Btw at this stage I was aware I was being shadowed by an army medical car!.

I'm off sick now. The doctor tore me a new asshole, and I deserved it. I'm running long enough now to know how dangerous it was to do a road race with a severe chest infection

492913.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭santana75

Watched this the last two weeks and I have to say its actually pretty good. Not a fan of reality TV normally, but RTE have something decent on their hands. Only when I started watching though did I realise I knew two of the lads on it. Just goes to show how small Ireland actually is..........Its one of these things where you're constantly asking yourself if you could hack it if you were in their shoes? From the looks of things though it seems like the Cold was the thing that got most people in the end. Everybody is fit but its not about how ripped you are. One of the instructors made a comment about how on the first night it looked like an audition for the Chipendales. Seems to be brutally fair aswell, I mean there is no quarter given regardless of gender, the women are shouted at and treated just as aggressively as the men. Surprised theres not an outcry and accusations of sexism and bullying.

Round 2 will be aired on the 17th February at 21:30 on RTÉ2

Really looking forward to this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Back on Monday woop woop!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah looking forward to it on Monday. SAS Who Dares Wins just finished last Sunday and was a really good show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Enjoy, everyone 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

That start in the stream was some shock to the system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

I thought the model would keep the lads motivated- she didn't even get as far as the barracks!!

Jaysus that was brutal stuff and it's only day 1!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I completely forgot about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

That was very enjoyable, certainly not taking it easy on them

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Nearly choked on my coffee when he made the Zola Budd comment :D:D and Lavender boy :D:D

What can I say, great stuff.

Really enjoyed that.

'Scratch' is a complete bastard of a few hours, every soldier has been through it. Its just hours upon hours of beasting, its hell for its duration but a right of passage for every soldier.

If I was to change one thing I'd have them all with regulation hair cuts and clean shaved (for the men of course).

Excellent stuff.

Altreab2 wrote: »
    Nearly choked on my coffee when he made the Zola Budd comment :D:D and Lavender boy :D:D

Where are your headphones now!! :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Fair play to them all. I wouldn't last an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Wait til they find out Jason Black climbed Mount Everest (he's a minor celebrity in Donegal).

"Oh so you climbed a big f***king mountain, did ye? There's no sherpa to carry your pack for you now, is there?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Wait til they find out Jason Black climbed Mount Everest (he's a minor celebrity in Donegal).

"Oh so you climbed a big f***king mountain, did ye? There's no sherpa to carry your pack for you now, is there?"
    Summited K2 as well in 2018, much tougher than Everest. Over 4,000 people have summited Everest, only around 400 have reached the top of K2.

enricoh wrote: »
    I thought the model would keep the lads motivated- she didn't even get as far as the barracks!!

Once I spotted her I said she won't last an hour :pac:

Fair play to her for giving it a go!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Summited K2 as well in 2018, much tougher than Everest. Over 4,000 people have summited Everest, only around 400 have reached the top of K2.

Yeah and the death rate on K2 is something else, I think 1 in 4 who attempt it lose their life. A good few summit it but lose their lives on the way down like Ger McDonnell in 2008

Good program last night. Pity the young taxi driver lad bailed so early, he was good for a laugh while it lasted.

Noticed that series 2 is 8 episodes long as opposed to 6 episodes for the first one, good stuff.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Noticed that series 2 is 8 episodes long as opposed to 6 episodes for the first one, good stuff.

Oh, deadly. That's great news :D

We all watched it again at lunchtime in work today, we'd great craic looking at civilians go through it and fair fvcks to them.

I said it earlier in the thread (season 1), this is as close to the real thing you're going to put civilians through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I enjoyed last night's episode. The DS take no sh1t as I would expect. I said it last season and I'll say it again. They are alot tougher on the participants than the SAS channel 4 version. Unfortunately the channel 4 version has ended up with 2 men and 2 women on the final for the last 2 seasons. If this is supposed to be on ability then one would not expect a man vs women in every final every season.

I enjoyed last night's episode. The DS take no sh1t as I would expect. I said it last season and I'll say it again. They are alot tougher on the participants than the SAS channel 4 version. Unfortunately the channel 4 version has ended up with 2 men and 2 women on the final for the last 2 seasons. If this is supposed to be on ability then one would not expect a man vs women in every final every season.

I haven't seen the SAS show, this one is so bloody good and exactly like the real thing that I've no desire to watch the SAS version.

Although I've seen Ant Middleton on a few shows, he comes across like a decent sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

In fairness, if every little scrote with say 5 previous convictions were made to do this for a week by order of the court, the convictions wouldn't be stacking up thereafter.
    How could you make them do this? As in, what would you do to compel them?? You can't make anyone do anything they don't want to, that's part of the reason people even commit crimes. Because like, what are you going to do about it.

How could you make them do this? As in, what would you do to compel them?? You can't make anyone do anything they don't want to, that's part of the reason people even commit crimes. Because like, what are you going to do about it.

Double their sentence if they don't.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Oh, deadly. That's great news :D

We all watched it again at lunchtime in work today, we'd great craic looking at civilians go through it and fair fvcks to them.

I said it earlier in the thread (season 1), this is as close to the real thing you're going to put civilians through.

It was pretty full on alright. Can you tell us about the scratch, when you went through it how many hours did it last and what sort of stuff did they have ye doing? And is it a one off or something that happens regularly when you're in the army?

Think you wold enjoy the SAS version, season 7 just finished so the episodes should up on Channel 4 on demand still. Its mainly filmed in the Scottish highlands and Isle of Skye by the looks of it. They had them doing some mad stuff like abseling down waterfalls, rope bridges across a gorge and simulated drowning in a fast moving river. They had an undercover DS with the group too

• Advertisement

Advertisement