Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Author John Boyne receives abuse from strangers on Twitter

• 17-04-2019 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

John Boyne has written a book about a trans kid transitioning and he has been forced to leave Twitter because of the abuse he has received. His crime is apparently misgendering and also saying that he objects to being forced to use the word cis.

The silver lining here is that a lot of mainstream Irish authors are now realising that the trans cult are lunatics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There was a chap on the RTE programme about this subject who tried to do a paper about young people who regretted going down this road

And he was warned off by the colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

A boy without a winkle? God be praised, it’s a miracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There was a chap on the RTE programme about this subject who tried to do a paper about young people who regretted going down this road

And he was warned off by the colleges

You can't discuss it. As John Boyne discovered, even if you write a book that is mainly trans positive, if you even dare make a mistatement about gender, you will be eviscerated.

Males wearing dresses demanding access to female only spaces will not be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Dante7 wrote: »
    John Boyne has written a book about a trans kid transitioning and he has been forced to leave Twitter because of the abuse he has received. His crime is apparently misgendering and also saying that he objects to being forced to use the word cis.

The silver lining here is that a lot of mainstream Irish authors are now realising that the trans cult are lunatics.

He got heat on Twitter because his article was so lacking in research as to be almost laughable.

Nobody has read his book yet but, I wonder will it put really offensive transphobic sentiments in the mouths of babes and call the results 'young adult fiction'???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

He wasn't "forced" to leave Twitter, he chose not to stand up for his beliefs and to run away from the debate. I have no time for people who claim to be "forced" to leave a platform because of words written by strangers on the internet - grow a f*cking pair* and stand your ground.

*I realise that this particular remark may, in the context of the trans issue, be taken as either an appalling or an incredible pun, depending on one's viewpoint

• Advertisement

He got heat on Twitter because his article was so lacking in research as to be almost laughable.

Nobody has read his book yet but, I wonder will it put really offensive transphobic sentiments in the mouths of babes and call the results 'young adult fiction'???

No his book wasn't lacking in research. He talked to trans people before writing the book. This is John Boyne!
    The one thing he did apologise about is that he referenced Graham Linehan derogatively in his article. He quickly began to see how the trans lunatics will quickly try to destroy your life if you don't subscribe to their cult beliefs.

He wasn't "forced" to leave Twitter, he chose not to stand up for his beliefs and to run away from the debate. I have no time for people who claim to be "forced" to leave a platform because of words written by strangers on the internet - grow a f*cking pair* and stand your ground.

*I realise that this particular remark may, in the context of the trans issue, be taken as either an appalling or an incredible pun, depending on one's viewpoint

He was forced to leave. The trans lobby hammered him with their particular viewpoint and forced him to deactivate.

The funny thing is, his book and article were 99% trans positive. But that is not good enough for the trans lobby. You must capitulate to this new cult or you will suffer a social media pile on.

People are now beginning to see these trans activist lunatics for who they are. Driving John Boyne off Twitter. A gay man and huge LGBT Ally, just cos he he dared question cis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

All these terms are hard to keep up with.

I looked up "cis" and got a construction projects website.
    Its quite interesting.

Well done, good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

We saw how radical the group can be after the RTE program, i don't know why you would expect any less.

Calhoun wrote: »
    We saw how radical the group can be after the RTE program, i don't know why you would expect any less.

You could kind of laugh it off, except it's coming to your kids' school soon. And don't dare disagree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It seems that some transsexuals have a messiah complex and being persecuted forms part of their delusion - hence the requirement to seek out enemies on the most spurious grounds outside the closed feedback loop of their normal social circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Goodbye John Boyne. Whoever the fcuk you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He was forced to leave. The trans lobby hammered him with their particular viewpoint and forced him to deactivate.

How do you 'force "someone off Twitter?

The thread title and this claim is factually incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't give a fcuk who you are but if you are actually a male and you are in women's toilets then you should be done.

I don't care if you wake up today and say ah sure I'm female today or tomorrow ah sure I'm an it or whatever you want to call yourself.

Simple you were born with a penis or a vagina....

So if you want to dress differently nock yourself out I couldn't give a rat's a#s....

I think the world is going to actually end up completely backwards if things keep going the way they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can be done with mental abuse or I could call around and force you to hit the delete button......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No his book wasn't lacking in research. He talked to trans people before writing the book. .

The post you quote says the article lacked research. Not the book

. It also says no one has read the book yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:
    var originalThreadTitle = "John Boyne forced to leave twitter";
    var newThreadTitle = String.RemoveFalsehoods(originalThreadTitle);
    Console.WriteLine(newThreadTitle);

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

The post you quote says the article lacked research. Not the book

. It also says no one has read the book yet.

People have read the book (to review it), have summarised it and have come to the conclusion that yes, the book lacks research

Wait... This is a novel?

OK, that's genuinely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

People have read the book (to review it), have summarised it and have come to the conclusion that yes, the book lacks research

If it doesn't praise them as much as they wanted, then "there wasn't enough research done", it's the fancy way of throwing the toys out of the pram.

Snotty wrote: »
    If it doesn't praise them as much as they wanted, then "there wasn't enough research done", it's the fancy way of throwing the toys out of the pram.

Nope. They weren't looking for praise, just not to be portrayed in damaging and incorrect stereoypes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nope. They weren't looking for praise, just not to be portrayed in damaging and incorrect stereoypes

And they thought the best way to counter this was to act up to the unhinged lunatic stereotype??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Goodbye John Boyne. Whoever the fcuk you are.
    Who?

Remember the film The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas?
    He wrote the novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Normally I'd agree with you; but there's more to life than getting into a twitter war with an army of the ideologically possessed from all corners of the internet - particularly if one is a successful author, I'd imagine he has more productive things to do with his time.

He'll come back when Wokeus Dei have moved on to feast on their next victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Saw John Boyne in a WExford bookshop once , reading a chapter from the boy in the striped pajamas.
    overrated ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Or hit the block button, or simply log out. Deleting it is such a poncey grand statement.

I don't know what this guy actually said so can't judge this case specifically, but I agree that call out culture on twitter has gotten out of hand in certain quarters and a lot of people would rather score points off someone than have a discussion or try to be patient if someone is being a bit out of touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Usually by bullying them.

what other groups get to dictate what novelists can write

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't give a fcuk who you are but if you are actually a male and you are in women's toilets then you should be done.
    Convicted of a crime for using a women's toilets? Draconian much?

I use women's toilets all the time if my daughter needs to go and there's no-one around to go in with her. She refuses to go into the men's, so I go into the women's and I'll take a piss in the next cubicle if I feel the need to. But I suppose for this heinous crime I should be "done".

It's just a toilet. We all share the same toilet at home.

People need to drop their preciousness about segregated toilets. Women fart and sh1t and piss just like the rest of us. If it makes you squeamish that a man might hear you, that's your problem.

My personal belief is that segregated toilets place women at more risk by creating places where women may be alone for extended periods of time.

A straight guy raped a woman in the women's toilets of the George. If there had been a single set of toilets for everyone, there would have been more people milling around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't care if you wake up today and say ah sure I'm female today or tomorrow ah sure I'm an it or whatever you want to call yourself.

So if you want to dress differently nock yourself out I couldn't give a rat's a#s....

I think the world is going to actually end up completely backwards if things keep going the way they are.

So if a woman transitions into a male, they should use the women's toilets because they were born with a vagina?

So girls should be okay with people who clearly look like males (short hair, facial hair, no obvious breasts, dressed like a man) coming into the women's toilets after them?

See that's the issue when it comes to the trans-toilet argument. It's always the fear of a man dressing up as a woman in order to follow girls/women into the toilets, so therefore transwomen should use the mens toilets because they were born with a penis. People don't consider the flip-side of that which is that by the same logic transmen would have to use the womens toilets. Meaning any pervert wouldn't even have to try dress themselves up as a woman and claim they're a transwoman in order to go into the women's toilets. They could just claim they're a transman. And young girls would then have to accept that people who very obviously look like men are allowed to go into the toilets with them because they might be a transman, therefore possibly not recognising they may be in a danger before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

The only way to deal with toxic people (in real life) is to not deal with them. The only way to deal with toxic people (on line) is to not deal with them i.e. closing social media accounts/blocking people. It was the only way these cowards could abuse him, I'm sure they would not be so abusive in a real life environment.

He was cyberbullied, insulted and threatened by anonymous bullies, cowards and chose to remove himself from getting abuse. That's not running away, it's choosing not to deal with abuse. None of the messages or replies were constructive so it is the smart thing to do and serves to highlight that nobody or no subject or issue can be precluded from people offering opinions without being bullied or lambasted. The people who were abusive are doing a disservice to the transgender topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Who are all those internet people in a permanent state of aggrieved outrage, and what went so fundamentally wrong in their lives to make it that way? Mentally ill weirdos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Why are people so obsessed what toilet people use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its a blessing in disguise, he no longer has to suffer the idiots that use twitter. He should be thankful for small mercies.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Why are people so obsessed what toilet people use?

I think some women are 'obsessed' about the issue because they feel vulnerable with males in previously female only spaces.

They might be victims of abuse in the past or something illogical like that.

They might be nervous about the data suggesting sexual assault is more common in unisex toilets than sex-segregated toilets.

Silly old women and their funny ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Penn wrote: »
    So if a woman transitions into a male, they should use the women's toilets because they were born with a vagina?

People with other disorders use accessible toilets without any concern. I'm not sure why gender disorders are any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Interesting topic but the OP failed to provide any context in his rush to post about trans activists acting the bollix.

In any case, here is the link to the article. After having a read, I'm not sure what the problem was with the article but I'm guessing that it's the following paragraph as the rest of the article wasn't controversial.
    And while I wholeheartedly support the rights of trans men and women and consider them courageous pioneers, it will probably make some unhappy to know that I reject the word “cis”, the term given by transgender people to their nontransgender brethren. I don’t consider myself a cis man; I consider myself a man. For while I will happily employ any term that a person feels best defines them, whether that be transgender, non-binary or gender fluid to name but a few, I reject the notion that someone can force an unwanted term onto another.

The bit in bold might be what got him into trouble. He identifies as a man and he doesn't want a different label imposed on him by others. That seems reasonable enough to me but to a vocal bunch on twitter, he went too far.

Or it might be that he rejected the idea that Martina Navratilova was transphobic for voicing her concerns about biological males in women's sport and dared to suggest that some trans activists might be a bit quick to turn on anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with everything.
    However, it would be inaccurate to suggest that one side of this debate is populated by a bunch of sexually-insecure bigots while the other is filled with kind, good-tempered free spirits. Following the debate online, I’ve been surprised by the aggression of some and their rush to condemn. Martina Navratilova has been labelled transphobic for questioning where trans women should compete in professional sports. Navratilova is a heroine, a fearless advocate for gay rights over many decades. For anyone to suggest that a person of her courage is phobic about anything is to deliberately ignore her history and also suggests that there is no safe place for people to debate these topics without being branded an enemy. Quite frankly, Martina Navratilova is to bigotry as Donald Trump is to literacy.

It does look like there is a fringe minority of trans activists out there who are a bit nutty. For him to get that abuse for a reasonable enough article demonstrates that.

People with other disorders use accessible toilets without any concern. I'm not sure why gender disorders are any different.

Accessible toilets are for people with physical disabilities that make a traditional cubicle practically difficult/impossible or people with mental disabilities who require assistance.

Men and women don't use different-shaped toilets. If someone doesn't need assistance to take a sh1t, they don't need to use the accessible toilets. To suggest that "people with disorders" need to use accessible toilets is nonsense, since the vast majority of "disorders" do not impede the person's ability to use a private cubicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

They might be nervous about the data suggesting sexual assault is more common in unisex toilets than sex-segregated toilets

Care to link to said data?

I had a look and all I could find was some research from the UK about changing rooms rather than toilets.

I also found this study which concludes that there's no link between trans inclusive policies increase safer risks:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13178-018-0335-z

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    She refuses to go into the men's

Why?

Has she got a problem being around men she doesn't know in a bathroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pretend it was a harassed minority person who got lots of abuse and left twitter. Would the woke reaction be different?

John is right. The online mob only works if you are online.

Why?

She thinks she'll be arrested :D

But nice trying to turn this into a "men are monsters" discussion. Take your misandry elsewhere please.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Care to link to said data?

I had a look and all I could find was some research from the UK about changing rooms rather than toilets.

I also found this study which concludes that there's no link between trans inclusive policies increase safer risks:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13178-018-0335-z

Yes. It’s changing rooms. Because toilets are either not unisex or are single usage if they are.

She thinks she'll be arrested :D

But nice trying to turn this into a "men are monsters" discussion. Take your misandry elsewhere please.

I'm a man Seamus, just not one who dismisses the opinions and concerns of women out of hand. Try it some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Accessible toilets are for people with physical disabilities that make a traditional cubicle practically difficult/impossible

Are you saying that a gender disorder is not a physical condition? Ie that it's all in the person's head?

Or that it doesn't make using shared-space cubicles difficult?

I'm a man Seamus, just not one who dismisses the opinions and concerns of women out of hand. Try it some time.
    I believe the kids these days call that "white knighting" or "virtue signalling".

I don't dismiss the concerns of women out of hand, but I don't buy into baseless fear either. If something is being done to make people "feel" safe without actually making them safer, then it's pointless.

In this regard we have talk of criminalising people for using the "wrong" bathroom, even though there's no evidence to suggest that this will solve anything.

That's dangerous.

If a white person said they feel less safe when a black person enters an otherwise empty toilet, am I "dismissing their concerns out of hand" by telling them to cop on?
    Or that it doesn't make using shared-space cubicles difficult?
    It doesn't. Because, you know, cubicles. I can guarantee you that virtually everyone has "shared" a public bathroom with a transgender person and experienced no difficulty whatsoever. In fact, they won't even have known they were doing it.

This is not rocket science. Do you look twice at anyone who comes into the bathroom? No.

what other groups get to dictate what novelists can write

He had already written it, so nobody got to dictate anything to him. He was given feedback that perhaps, to be more accurate in his portrayal, he could have actually talked to the people he was portraying, if he actually cared about being an "ally" to them (which he stated he was in his Irish Times opinion piece). Especially when he is using stereotypes of a group which already faces discrimination and hatred, as you only have to read this thread to see.

Why?

His argument is a bit circular alright.

Lots of women don't actually have these opinions and concerns and we don't need someone doing a Glinner on us either.

The reality is, we've all been in the bathroom with trans people. They aren't going to announce themselves. They're just trying to have a piss in peace without someone causing a scene about it, or worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement