Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask my landlord to replace the couch?

Options
  • 17-04-2019 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’ve been living in the house for about 8 years. There is one small two seater couch that’s not aged well. I’m actually getting pain in my neck and back from it. I have bought so many pillows and supports to make it work, but it hasn’t helped me much.
    It doesn’t have removable pillows, so repairing or upgrading isn’t possible. Is it very cheeky to ask my landlord to replace it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can ask, it's not going to cause any harm.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

You could buy your own...one that you like to sit in, asking the LL will result in a crap sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Sure but u most give him 3 months notice and have 3 comparable examples of similar couch replacements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sure but u most give him 3 months notice and have 3 comparable examples of similar couch replacements

Where is this from... I have replaced furniture for tenants before no problem, or disposed of one and let them get their own. Had not heard of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

pwurple wrote: »
    Where is this from... I have replaced furniture for tenants before no problem, or disposed of one and let them get their own. Had not heard of this.

I think the poster was being tongue in cheek. This poster was assuming that people would jump down the original poster’s throat. On Boards.ie you will generally be crucified for making any remark that may affect a landlord’s pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

yes that sh!te is only for landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I’ve been living in the house for about 8 years. There is one small two seater couch that’s not aged well. I’m actually getting pain in my neck and back from it. I have bought so many pillows and supports to make it work, but it hasn’t helped me much. It doesn’t have removable pillows, so repairing or upgrading isn’t possible. Is it very cheeky to ask my landlord to replace it?

Explain the situation to LL. Agree on a price range that he or she agrees to cover. Give the receipt .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ask away.
    If they won't you can pick up perfectly good second hand couches cheap or free from any of the ad websites.

Most landlords wouldn't quibble with a 8 year tenant in good standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

8 years will have it depreciated to nil value. Ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bobbyss wrote: »
    Explain the situation to LL. Agree on a price range that he or she agrees to cover. Give the receipt .

If the landlord is getting it then he picks it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

ted1 wrote: »
    If the landlord is getting it then he picks it

Are you a landlord Ted?;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Are you a landlord Ted?;-)

Would that make any difference?

If a LL is providing a sofa, then the most basic ne will be provided. Once that cannot break easy but can be cleaned easy.

Even that is above and beyond for a LL to provide unless you specifically have a fully furnished lease and even at that, it wont go into the specifics of types of furniture.

The big risk her is that if the OP asks the LL for a new sofa and one is provided, and the OP doesn't like that sofa, then he has no choice but to live with it.

The other option is for the tenant to pick up their own, one that suits how they live and one that suits their personal taste and décor. They can then carry this to another tenancy should it be required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

kceire wrote: »
    If a LL is providing a sofa, then the most basic ne will be provided. Once that cannot break easy but can be cleaned easy.

The big risk her is that if the OP asks the LL for a new sofa and one is provided, and the OP doesn't like that sofa, then he has no choice but to live with it.

Not every LL tenant relationship is adversarial. Any LL worth their salt know that if you buy cheap you buy twice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not every LL tenant relationship is adversarial. Any LL worth their salt know that if you buy cheap you buy twice.

I agree with this part alright. But most relationships wouldn't be like that.

I bought my tenant a leather sofa in 2015. Its still in excellent condition today as it can be wiped cleaned. So I would never buy a fabric sofa as a LL just as I would never buy a leather sofa for my personal home, I hate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

I as a landlord would rather tenant to buy the sofa, especially if the tenant is long term

Obviously I'd give the tenant a guideline of price and suitability.

the tenant get a couch that they like and suits and the landlord is saved hassle of shopping around or annoying tenant by buying a couch they hate.

The request OP will be a indication to the LL that you want to stay. And care about the rental.

Hope it works out for you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Kidkinobe wrote: »
    You could buy your own...one that you like to sit in, asking the LL will result in a crap sofa.

Do not but your own. It will cost you money and where do you store the ll couch.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ask away.
    If they won't you can pick up perfectly good second hand couches cheap or free from any of the ad websites.

Most landlords wouldn't quibble with a 8 year tenant in good standing.

I would second this. If your a decent tenant, i would be more open to this. I have even paid for repairs where i know the tenant is ar fault just because of that relationship.

If your on the naughty list, i would stop even small stuff below 50e

If you do go and get your own (would be better in the long run for yourself, as the LL will buy the bare minimum) make sure to record the fact. Get agreement from the LL that the old sofa needs replacing, due to age, and get that agreement in email, make sure that the LL removes the old couch and agrees that you are not responsible for it.

Otherwise you could get a chancer claiming, at the end of tenancy, that the property came with a couch and that you are responsible for it not being there and that he is keeping security deposit.

Best option would be if the LL gives you a price guide and you get to purchase the sofa you like (find suitable), if the LL is agreeable to it, and reimburses you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

I would definitely ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

People keep saying “buy one yourself.” So what do they do with the one that’s there? Unless there is some place to store it, they will at least have to get the landlord to agree to remove it, and even if the landlord does remove it, he might insist on replacing it at the same time.

Also if the OP buys one, when they move they have to move their own couch too, and the same problem comes up again—there is already a couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I have to agree with others who have suggested that the O.P. gets their own couch and to let the landlord know. When the existing couch is in the state it is, it would be very unreasonable of the landlord not to allow the tenant to do this. As someone who lived in rented accommodation for a few years, when I moved in, I told the landlord that I would rather have all my own electrical goods fridge, washing machine, dryer etc. Those that were in the house were well used. He agreed to move the same items that were in the house into storage without any quibble. Another reason for doing this was that I didn't want a situation to arise where one of these things would break down shortly before I moved out and that I would lose my deposit or maybe have to leave a brand new replacement item in the house for the landlord. The only difference between my case and that of the O.P. is that mine was a short time rental while I was building a new home.

Anyway, I think the O.P. should ask the landlord to replace the couch.

Ceist eile:
    If the O.P. were to 'develop back trouble as a result of using the couch', would the landlord be held liable??:confused::confused:

(would be better in the long run for yourself, as the LL will buy the bare minimum).

How do you know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

While you are renting the house, it is your house, and you get to enjoy all the benefits that come with that, so I'd be surprised if the landlord would replace the sofa, but no harm asking.

Doubt the landlord has someone who would pay to replace their own sofa. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I'm very curious as to why LL's furnish property with couches, beds, tables, chairs etc etc when they are not legally obliged to?

In the past, rentals were always furnished but people generally only rented for a few years. If people are going to rent for longer terms in future, it does not make sense that they don't have their own things.

Afaik, the only requirement for a LL is to provide white goods - F/F, cooker, oven, microwave, w/m but I could be wrong.

It seems to me that LL's should start sticking exactly to the law in every aspect. Be compliant and register the tenancy, give allowed rent increases, correct notice periods, allow peaceful occupation, fix the broken stuff they need to, etc etc

Then maybe they should just do what the law says about furnishings also? It would save a lot of grief and avoid disputes over damage and deposits at the end of a tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

I'm very curious as to why LL's furnish property with couches, beds, tables, chairs etc etc when they are not legally obliged to?

In the past, rentals were always furnished but people generally only rented for a few years. If people are going to rent for longer terms in future, it does not make sense that they don't have their own things.

Afaik, the only requirement for a LL is to provide white goods - F/F, cooker, oven, microwave, w/m but I could be wrong.

It seems to me that LL's should start sticking exactly to the law in every aspect. Be compliant and register the tenancy, give allowed rent increases, correct notice periods, allow peaceful occupation, fix the broken stuff they need to, etc etc

Then maybe they should just do what the law says about furnishings also? It would save a lot of grief and avoid disputes over damage and deposits at the end of a tenancy.

Probably comes down to the amount they can charge.

Amazing what a bit of paint and well-placed furnishings can do to make a property look more attractive, you see some landlords nowadays buying tiny apartments with mix&match furniture on the cheap, refurnishing them and being able to rent them out for 2x the price were they'll make back the price of the upgrades within a few months.

It's similar on the continent, most apartments in Germany, The Netherlands etc. would come unfurnished in the view that folks will stay there long term and want to make the place their own and then the properties that are furnished are priced at a luxury-let rate were you're paying for the good interior design essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are rules in some countries where you return the rental completely empty and newly painted.

It makes inspections and damage much easier no issues with furniture and contents.

Up Donegal wrote: »
    I have to agree with others who have suggested that the O.P. gets their own couch and to let the landlord know. When the existing couch is in the state it is, it would be very unreasonable of the landlord not to allow the tenant to do this. As someone who lived in rented accommodation for a few years, when I moved in, I told the landlord that I would rather have all my own electrical goods fridge, washing machine, dryer etc. Those that were in the house were well used. He agreed to move the same items that were in the house into storage without any quibble. Another reason for doing this was that I didn't want a situation to arise where one of these things would break down shortly before I moved out and that I would lose my deposit or maybe have to leave a brand new replacement item in the house for the landlord. The only difference between my case and that of the O.P. is that mine was a short time rental while I was building a new home.

Anyway, I think the O.P. should ask the landlord to replace the couch.

Ceist eile:
    If the O.P. were to 'develop back trouble as a result of using the couch', would the landlord be held liable??:confused::confused:

Most ll would decline to move fridges etc. its more work for them and more importantly more cost especially if its only a short term let. Looks like you had a decent ll.

I would actually prefer if we went to unfurnished route so then people can have their own taste on red or purple couches instead of me putting in boring black leather etc or white appliances. I wont get phonecalls for the cheapest crap i have to put in and you feel more at home

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP- you have nothing to lose by asking the landlord. If the item is worn and past it’s useful life, you are definitely entitled to ask the landlord to replace it.

The best possible outcome would be that they agree to pay for it, but you get to choose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

People keep saying “buy one yourself.” So what do they do with the one that’s there? Unless there is some place to store it, they will at least have to get the landlord to agree to remove it, and even if the landlord does remove it, he might insist on replacing it at the same time.

Also if the OP buys one, when they move they have to move their own couch too, and the same problem comes up again—there is already a couch.

How do you think people do this in their own homes? You arrange for collection of the old one when you buy a new one. ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

beauf wrote: »
    How do you think people do this in their own homes? You arrange for collection of the old one when you buy a new one. ???

You can't just get rid of someone else's property. The landlord still owns that sofa, and you would need their agreement to dispose of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement