Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask my landlord to replace the couch?

Options
13»

Comments

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Anecdotal. Not slightly more.

Given that the sample size would be quite large and not just personal experience of Ll, it would be slightly more than anecdotal. Not quite enough for a representative sample given I don't know the number of LL in the country and the examples are clustered in Corm/Dublin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

I can't help but think we're going slightly off track here folks.

So about that sofa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just a different suggestion for OP.

If there is space in the room buy yourself a nice recliner chair.
    Your back will thank you and it will be easier to transport when you move.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Went trough a process myself not so long ago.

6 year in the same flat in dublin to save up for my own place deposit.

Same sofa since we moved in, mouldy at the bottom cracked “leather” top in poor shape.

So, one day we decided to call landlord and ask for new one.
    He denied.

Then I proposed if we can split the cost with him . 50/50% after 4 days of waiting he agreed but only if we sign on the receipt that we wont clam 100E back if we move out ( this is 200€ikea sofa we are talking about).

So,it is possible but sometimes it just better to buy it yourself and avoid that kind of situations.

Let me also, mention that that particular landlord has a feew appartment blocks in dublin 1, 181 silver benz and huge house in drogheda .So 200€ sofa sounds even more surreal in these circumstances.

good landlord is hard to come by. Problems with 80% of them, if not more.

after years of renting i could write a book about it.

No it’s not cheeky if you have given the whole gaff what would be normal ordinary wear. I’m a one gaff landlord and have replaced furniture that has not served well for tenants who otherwise have kept the place very well indeed. And to prove they didn’t just want a different style, the tenants indicated they liked the original furniture when it was newer and would quite like similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Fol20 wrote: »
    If you want to pay for a new couch out of pocket and let the ll keep the couch. You need to tell the ll if you are disposing of their couch. I have never heard of a ll turning down a free new couch especially if the old one is in very bad condition.

If you dont tell the ll and he finds out later, this could sour your relationship. Even though you have good intentions, i as a landlord would wonder what else are you doing without my express permission.

If someone is paying you 1400E/m for 50 sqm appartment then he has right to expect appartment condition be on point. Furniture and all.

plenty of dodgy landlords and chancers out there. Tons.

“No rent supplement allowed”
    “No hap accepted”
    “Cash collected every week from your appartment”
    “This is not mould”
    And a feew more,those can realy “sour “ relationship.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

As the OPs question has been well & truly answered and hasn't been back, I think we'll close this one off here.

Thanks for the input folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement