Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far wil 110,000 get me??

Options
  • 17-04-2019 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    We want to renovate an old 1960’s bungalow approximately 2200.
    I need 10 new windows, front door and sliding doors for kitchen
    Reinsulate
    Rewire
    Replumb Including getting rid of old gunmetal
    system
    New en suite and family bathroom
    New kitchen
    Knock 6 rooms into 4- knocking/plastering etc
    Paint interior and exterior

Does this sound realistic for 110k. I’m looking for a good quality spec. Mid to high end
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

That sounds like enough money, not in construction myself though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get a Qs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mursa01 wrote: »
    Hi
    We want to renovate an old 1960’s bungalow approximately 2200.
    1.I need 10 new windows, front door and sliding doors for kitchen
    2.Reinsulate
    3.Rewire
    4.Replumb Including getting rid of old gunmetal
    system
    5.New en suite and family bathroom
    6.New kitchen
    7.Knock 6 rooms into 4- knocking/plastering etc
    8.Paint interior and exterior

Does this sound realistic for 110k. I’m looking for a good quality spec. Mid to high end
    Thanks

1. 15k
    2. External or internal? 15k
    3. 6k
    4. 10k including new boiler, cylinder etc
    5. 10k
    6. 10k depending on kitchen selected and appliances required
    7. 5k depending on structural support required.
    8. 6k

Beer Mat Calculations)
    BryanF wrote: »
    Get a Qs

Agree, to get an accurate price or get 3 builders to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your going high spec and by that I mean no cheap toilets, showers, cookers, putting in wooden floors, quality German built kitchen with top electrics like neff, Siemens etc.
    I'd guess the kitchen about 25k
    Plumbing 5k, new boiler, hot water tank, booster pump, smart controls.
    Steel etc if any of the walls are supporting, 3k a room that includes new wood floors.
    10k for the 2 bathrooms, that's grohe showers and Villeroy & Boch toilet etc.
    electrics 3k
    If you've got height I'd put in drop ceilings in the new rooms. It's not that expensive and you'll end up with dead straight lines and perfect plaster no cracks.
    I dunno about the new windows and doors and depending on how mad you go with the insulation could be 10k plus windows and doors.

I'd be hoping to come in around 50/80k, shop around for your cookers, floors, showers etc you can save a lot there.

I've done a lot of this to my own house after buying including converting the attic. Haven't swapped windows as there fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

10k for the 2 bathrooms, that's grohe showers and Villeroy & Boch toilet etc.

Am trying to do 3 bathrooms with about 10k (new build).

I got 3 Grohe showers, 3 Villeroy and Boch toilets (off the floor), 3 toilet seats, 3 wall frames (geberit), and wall fixings for e2,700. This included 23% VAT (13% if you can get builder to order for you) and e150 delivery (as it came in a pallet from Germany).

I have 2 linear shower trays and tanking kits (from wetroom online) e1k. Its the walk in look am going for.

Downstairs, I only need a drain (that was e120).

Vanity units to be ordered yet. Estimate e1k for 3 (includes sink and taps/waste).

That is nearly 5k.

Then the rest will go on 2 shower enclosures (have to look into this yet) and tiling. Of which I will tile the floor, the shower wall, and around the sink. The rest to be painted.

• Advertisement

That's not a bad price for good kit, I picked up a grohe rain shower on Amazon warehouse last night for €450 a 310mm, bought a no name one 3yrs ago and it packed in a good while ago, only changing it now.
    Tiling cost me €16 a square yard for the walls and €15 for the floors mosaic was €50 for 2 square yards.
    If your doing a new house stick an insinkerator in the kitchen, no smelly bins ever. Pretty cheap on Amazon, no need for a grease trap builder made us install one but we took it out. Going trouble free 5yrs. Lost the first one after a few months when a big nail went down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

drunkmonkey can those insinkerators handle coffee grinds and tea bags or only food products? Seems a great idea, I've a small compost bin for food waste but the seals on it are useless so it smells if you don't empty and clean every day

Don't drink either but I'd say so, coffee definitely as the mrs throws it down I'd say the same for tea bags...it's well able for steak bones, full chicken etc...only thing it doesn't like is any kind of metal. Ours is going now about 5yrs. 2 of my aunt's must have one about 20yrs each there who convinced me to put it in. I can't stand the smell of rubbish in the house. We've an inbuilt paper/plastic bin everything else goes in the insinkerator. This is the one we have https://www.amazon.co.uk/InSinkErator-75275-Stainless-Evolution-Disposer/dp/B004NOY3BQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1HOD014U6WYGX&keywords=insinkerator+evolution+200&qid=1556468460&s=gateway&sprefix=insinkerator+ev&sr=8-2
    My sister put the same one in her new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks drunkmonkey, I had never heard of them till you posted and now finally realise there is a solution to this problem, I'm sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Check your LA rules regarding under sink macerators, they're banned in Dublin (at least in commercial settings) due to the extra loads they place on waste treatment plants and the volume of treated water they use. If you have on-site treatment, make sure you don't overwhelm it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement