Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to Visit in Florida

Options
  • 17-04-2019 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Heading to Florida in September for 2 week holiday. Will be staying in the Fort Lauderdale area with family but thinking of heading elsewhere for a few days. Looking for advice on other places to visit in Florida. Have visited Orlando a couple of times and the Florida Keys. Anyone recommend other places to visit.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Kennedy Space Centre is a good day out. As are the Everglades.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Clearwater is nice, beautiful beach. Spend a day in Busch Gardens on the way over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

yeah, I'd second Busch Gardens. Nice new rollercoaster opening today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

As was said... Busch gardens is great. Sunday brunch in Nikki beach in Miami is great too.the Everglades just outside of Miami is great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eulabreaker

Lived in Ft Lauderdale for a while,

Good places to eat:

Louie Bossi - On Las Olas - excellent Italian food
    Jacks Old Fashion Hamburger - Old style burgers
    Coconuts - Nice place by the beach with good food but gets busy
    Cafe Martorano - More nice italian food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Sorry to hijack?

Has the algae bloom cleared up or are he effects of it still present? As in dead sea life washing up on shore?

I would like to visit for a fishing trip but want to make sure I don't choose a place that still has an active eco disaster.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

jme2010 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack?

Has the algae bloom cleared up or are he effects of it still present? As in dead sea life washing up on shore?

I would like to visit for a fishing trip but want to make sure I don't choose a place that still has an active eco disaster.

Thanks

Algae and Red tide have gone for now. Sarasota (Siesta Key ) Tampa for Busch Gardens or Clearwater. Depends on how much driving you want to do. Ft Lauderdale to Tampa is 425km so keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Is it unbearably humid there? Puts me off even though I want to visit the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

percy212 wrote: »
    Is it unbearably humid there? Puts me off even though I want to visit the place.

September is a little cooler than July-August but still hot. I’m here eight years and used to it now. You just have to plan better when it’s real hot. You wouldnt see me standing in a line in Disney for 2 hrs in July-August that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

As above

Plus Depending on the time you have, head South to Miami

Some interesting areas

South Beach and Holocaust memorial

Vizcaya mansion and gardens

Also boat tour of Miami is quite impressive

Going further and would recommend an overnight at least

Take US 41 out of Miami to Naples/ Marco Island

Visit Shark Valley - No sharks but plenty of wildlife and Gators

After that take loop road through big cypress preserve- unfinished road so will need to get car cleaned afterwards but great up close views of the local wildlife

Further on several options for airboat ride in the Everglades with Jungle Erv or Wootens

Return to civilization in Naples/Marco Island areas, stunning Gulf Coast beaches in both locations, either head for Naples pier or Marco Island public beach parking and enjoy the warm gulf water and crystal clear water

Back to Fort Lauderdale on I 75.

In Fort Lauderdale check out N Ocean Drive when cruise ships are leaving (Saturday I think) stunning views of the giants as they sail out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement